Our worst day at WDW in 16 years...

What you say is true, but that’s also like saying “if you were an expert you could have had an ok time”. What about the 90 percent of people who aren’t experts? Should you have to be an expert to enjoy it? I know that isn’t what you meant, but a theme park shouldn’t be this hard to enjoy.
Exactly. To me, OP's experience and complaints are valid, even though as I was reading, of course I was thinking, "You showed up 'right after rope drop' and went to Remy? Does that mean like you got in line at 9:01 am and walked over to Remy? That has to be the worst strategy possible."

But at this point, the main "expert" strategy on most days is literally to leave every park during the entire middle of the day and stack lightning lanes for later.

We typically visit Disney the two weeks after thanksgiving but this coming year we’re debating between the first two weeks of February or the first two weeks of March. We have Feb booked now but were considering moving to March. After reading all this I guess we’ll stick with February. I didn’t think the beginning of March would be so bad.

We typically visit Disney the two weeks after thanksgiving but this coming year we’re debating between the first two weeks of February or the first two weeks of March. We have Feb booked now but were considering moving to March. After reading all this I guess we’ll stick with February. I didn’t think the beginning of March would be so bad.
Be careful with timing next year. Mardi Gras is later (first week of March). We made the mistake one year of going during Mardi Gras because it landed during my birthday and will never go again during that time. I'm guessing crowds then are similar to Spring Break crowds. I now know to look for Mardi Gras if I'm planning to go around that time of year.

Crowd levels have been unpredictable. Last year we went during Easter (for Tron opening), July 4th, second week in December (for Luminous), and September (for Moana opening). The busiest week was September. Who knew the Moana attraction was that popular! I think Epcot reached capacity during one of those days.

A lot of people posted useful tips, and it’s nice they take the time to help. But……it just doesn’t seem like you should have to have a degree in how to work Disney to have a good day. It seems others have given up trying, got both the 35% of rooms email and $89 non MK ticket emails both this week. Those are sizable discounts. While things may have been packed yesterday, there’s availability gaps somewhere.

even during spring break? what is the secret?
I haven't this year, but in the past. Been there other spring breaks, Christmas, Thanksgiving, NYE. I do think it is a bit of luck. My approach is also a little neurotic, though. Usually have two phones. Make sure both are up-to-date and restart about 10 minutes before the drop. Refresh both starting about 30 seconds before.

I'm not saying it is "right" to have to go to these lengths on vacation, but I personally don't mind if it will make our day better. I'll say the same for rope-dropping and that means being at a bus stop 90 minutes BEFORE early entry to guarantee two rides during the first half an hour. And if rides are your priority, you should learn G+ inside out.

I haven't this year, but in the past. Been there other spring breaks, Christmas, Thanksgiving, NYE. I do think it is a bit of luck. My approach is also a little neurotic, though. Usually have two phones. Make sure both are up-to-date and restart about 10 minutes before the drop. Refresh both starting about 30 seconds before.

I'm not saying it is "right" to have to go to these lengths on vacation, but I personally don't mind if it will make our day better. I'll say the same for rope-dropping and that means being at a bus stop 90 minutes BEFORE early entry to guarantee two rides during the first half an hour. And if rides are your priority, you should learn G+ inside out.
so you keep refreshing just before 30 seconds? like non-stop? thanks

so you keep refreshing just before 30 seconds? like non-stop? thanks
Not non-stop... just to make sure the phone is staying "awake" and hitting the servers. Then when it is close (an Apple Watch with a second hand is helpful) I'll refresh each one right before the hour and the other directly after. Always a crap shoot at which one will get it.

This week is the most popular spring break week that isn't around Easter. Our district always does this week and it annoys me because everywhere is so busy and expensive, we live in CO and won't touch the mountains. The very first week of March is usually not nearly as bad.

I went during Spring Break years ago (2018, I think). Just a miserable experience in terms of crowds (and value). They charge a premium price, but do not staff (or maintain their ride mechanics) at a premium capacity (anymore). I've vowed never to go this time of year. Heck, I think it is too crowded in the fall and January now, but at least I can manage the G+ nonsense effectively then.

I am very sorry you had such a tough day.

What you say is true, but that’s also like saying “if you were an expert you could have had an ok time”. What about the 90 percent of people who aren’t experts? Should you have to be an expert to enjoy it? I know that isn’t what you meant, but a theme park shouldn’t be this hard to enjoy.
This is my problem with the entire system, even though in the end G+ did work out for me well.
I spent way too much time preparing before I went, watching videos, reading forums - way too much time.

Even will all that preparation my first day did not go well as I would have liked.
Based on what I learned that day I changed my plan for the rest of the time and it went much better.
No question I was able to do a lot more than I have been able to do under previous systems.

To me Disney is just too much work for a vacation and few people want to spend the time (or have the time) to study for a vacation in a theme park.

Op I’m sorry you had the worst experience.

My advice to those traveling soon, is to read the most recent here now, just back posts. That thread has a wealth of information. Usually we suggest reading the first few posts, but on that thread I’d suggest reading the last few pages. You’ll see what worked and what didn’t.

Discontinuing the park reservation system for resort guests has made it way harder to get VQ.

I’m heading to a park tomorrow. I’m going with no plans. Whatever we do, we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter