Our 21 Royal Adventure - The evening is over and TR all wrapped up 8/10, Plus a link to the new TR!

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
Welcome to another franandaj trip report!

I don’t want to start this out on a bummer note, but if you have followed my trip reports in the past, I’m sorry to inform you that Fran will no longer be participating in the trip reports. She passed away back in April, a day before we were supposed to take our last planned trip to Walt Disney World.

I know that she would want me to continue these reports because she knew how much I enjoy sharing my experiences with my DIS friends. And while it's bittersweet to continue using this username, I feel like it's the right thing to do. She was a HUGE part of my life and I feel like I should honor her memory.

If you didn't know us, check out any of the links in my signature for our escapades. I'm moving forward with the folks who will be playing a role in this trip report and there will be introductions in this post.

Fran was one of the main instigators who made this trip to 21 Royal happen, and many toasts in her honor were shared that night. But first you might ask “What is 21 Royal?” Well let me get to the backstory and everything, it’s going to take a while, so pour yourself one of your favorite beverages, sit back, I’ll tell you a tale, a tale of a fa-er wait, that’s another tale….sorry!

The concept of 21 Royal began back in 2016. There were experiments by the Disney staff with various pricing options. At first the option of a la carte pricing was considered. However, in the end when the actual product launched they had settled on a fixed price experience. The concept launched in 2017 with a price tag of $15,000 all inclusive. There was no requirement for the minimum number of guests, however, the maximum number of guests is twelve.

The location of 21 Royal is above Pirates of the Caribbean. Once upon a time it was the Disney Gallery. You could book a dessert package here to watch Fantasmic! Later it was converted to the Dream Suite, and eventually became the location of 21 Royal.

x23DL0509R01.jpg

Back in 2017, Fran and I thought we were going to come into a bit of money about the same time the new 21 Royal opened. We figured that an experience at this price level could never last, but we wanted to get in on it before it went away. So we went ahead and booked it, basically treating our friends to the experience. Most people we know couldn’t afford that sort of experience. Of course the money fell through, but we had already committed so live and learn. :laughing:

This TR is not about that experience, but that’s what awakened Fran’s appetite for a repeat visit to 21 Royal. That’s when the search began to find another 10 people who were willing to split the cost.

We didn’t have to look far for the first one, Jill immediately signed up when we told her we were gathering another party. It was around September of 2019 when Su-Lynn (@chunkymonkey) said that she and her hubby would be interested as well as a friend who lived in Florida. Here’s a pic from when we met up in 2021 just before we confirmed everything.

x23DL0509R02.jpeg

And me and Jill earlier this year.

x23DL0509R03.jpg

OK, now we’re up to six people. I started talking about it with Allyson (@DnA2010) during the pandemic and by the time things were opening back up she and her hubby were on board. This is Allyson and Dorian.

x23DL0509R04.jpg

It wasn’t until after the reopening of things that we got our last folks. I have other crazy Disney friends that I met outside of the DIS. They’re super foodies and when I explained it to them they were onboard. Meet Angi and Ken.

x23DL0509R05.JPG

Finally it came down to the last two spaces. Jenny knew that she would be kicking herself if she and Michael weren’t in the group with us. But she also knew he would kill her if she took that kind of money from the bank account and gave it away for something as frivolous as dinner. We came up with a “layaway plan” for her. She was able to send me funds without his knowledge when she had extra personal money in her venmo, and eventually paid off her share of the dinner. But we had to be very careful when talking about the dinner around Michael. It would have been easy to slip up and talk about it like they were part of everything, but we were able to keep it quiet until just a few days before when Jenny told him about it. Here they are with Fran and I.

x23DL0509R06.jpg

Now we had our party of twelve, the next thing was to finalize a date. This was in October/November of 2021. Because we had people coming from Florida, New Jersey, British Columbia, Denver, and Arizona, it took a while to settle on a date, but finally we picked September 8, 2022.

So 2022 rolls in and everyone was excited, this was the year we were going to 21 Royal! And then Fran suffered the colon rupture. Everyone was thoughtful and understood when we decided that the date should be rescheduled. In July of 2022 we were able to pick our new date, which turned out to be May 11, 2023. I immediately booked a two bedroom Villa at the VGC. Fran and I would have the Master, Jenny and her Hubby would take the other bedroom and Jill would sleep on the couch.

While we waited for the new date to come around our Florida resident had to back out and we added a friend from Utah. Fran underwent no less than five different surgeries and it started to take a toll on her body. Me being the eternal optimist, I never thought that it would become too much for her.

We went on our cruise in February of 2023 and I always thought she would recover and go back to being Fran. If you haven’t read that TR you can find it here. I know there is a lot of back story here, but bear with me. I’m sorry that there have been so many words, here are some random Disney pictures for now!

x23DL0509R08.jpg

x23DL0509R09.jpg

x23DL0509R10.jpg

So with our 21 Royal Date less than 2 months away, the ladies had started to plan our outfits. We had a facebook group set up for all of us where we could plan and share ideas and other things. I was going back and forth on what dress I planned to wear when I happened to go to the DLR to meet up with @dizneeat and saw this dress at the Disney Dress Shop.

x23DL0509R11.jpg

I knew that THIS was the dress that I had to wear to our evening at 21 Royal. The problem, they had all the sizes below the two sizes I could possibly wear, and all the sizes above, but not my size or one I could possibly pull off.

Karin and Tom were so kind as to go to EVERY dress shop on property with me to look for my size, but not one store had it in stock. When I got home, Fran looked at the Disney Store online, eBay and anywhere else she could think of and it wasn’t anywhere. So I pouted and evidently texted quite a few of my friends attending the dinner of my displeasure.

This was mid March and I was very much into planning for Fran and my trip to WDW in April. Little did I know that not only would it not happen, but she would leave the physical world, and change all the plans moving forward. She passed on April 15, just a little less than one month before this dinner.

I decided to invite my friend Leonard (who has made appearances in past TRs) as my “date” for the evening, which sort of changed the dynamics of the sleeping arrangements, but we worked it out. We had one more change when the friend from Utah had a death in the family and she had to back out at the last minute as well. She “gifted” her spot to Jenny’s daughter at the last minute and so our party changed yet again, but we were determined to have a good time, and honor the memory of Fran who started the whole process rolling.

I hope you will follow along and see how things play out and our amazing evening!

Last edited:
I’m here! I’m already saving for next time cuz I’m a bougie chick now!

Jill in CO

Last edited:

I don't know if I've ever commented on your TRs in the past, but I've followed along (lurking lol). I'm so sorry to hear of Fran's passing. You two looked like you had a lot of fun on your many adventures!

I look forward to seeing this TR and living vicariously through your experience at 21 Royal!

I am here. Can't wait to see your pictures since I already saw Su-Lynn's on Instagram. Again sorry about Fran and I know she would have loved this adventure.

Hi hi! I am here! Making my not-so-grand return to the Disboards just for this TR! 😊

I really really applaud and admire how you’re moving forward and I know that the future holds many adventures for you.

It was such a fantastic night at 21 and we can’t wait to do it again in the future!

I'm very excited to follow along as this is a dream for me! I've been a lurker on your reports for a while now, and I'm so very sorry to hear about Fran. I'm glad you were able to honor her memory and continue this visit to 21 Royal.

I have read your many TR's over the years, and I am so sorry to hear of Fran's passing. While I've never met you, I feel like I knew/know you both, from reading all your adventures over the years.
Moving forward is never easy, but as others have said, you're doing so with much grace, love and support. And Fran is with you - every where you go.
I can't wait to read more about this adventure (having just finished your Winnie Takes A Cruise TR).

Wow! That sounds like an amazing experience! Can't wait to hear more!

I don't know if I've ever commented on your TRs in the past, but I've followed along (lurking lol). I'm so sorry to hear of Fran's passing. You two looked like you had a lot of fun on your many adventures!
Thanks for your condolences.
I look forward to seeing this TR and living vicariously through your experience at 21 Royal!
:welcome:
Joining in
Next time?! *****es go hard! I hope I don’t get banned. 😂🥰💃🏽💋
Are you in? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter