Other Options...

Yep. I've done ABD-AMA and AMA-only. Both were wonderful (but very different) trips. I enjoyed both immensely.

Can you talk a bit about the differences? One of my problems with ABD-AMA was how early everything started. You would make my heart soar if you said breakfast could go until 9, instead of 7:30am.

I am re-visiting our summer, 2020 trip for dd's high school graduation. Singita travel ruined our itinerary after having it planned since last August. They bumped us out of our final lodge (Boulders) since they had a group that wanted to take the entire lodge during the time we were supposed to be there. They expected us to happily move to their sister property, Ebony, but for the price they charge, I don't want to stay there again. I found the rooms a bit dark and there is a glass shower in the room, which is not great when traveling with your 18 year old daughter.

I am looking at some of the companies recommended here; of particular interest is Classic Journeys as I like their product (from what they have online). Just can't decide if I'm willing to give up Africa for another destination. Thinking *maybe* New Zealand / Sidney, but it's ultimately dd's call.

Back to the drawing board :rolleyes1:sad2: . Not looking forward to going through this process again. I'm so very disappointed with Singita and how they handled the situation.

I am re-visiting our summer, 2020 trip for dd's high school graduation. Singita travel ruined our itinerary after having it planned since last August. They bumped us out of our final lodge (Boulders) since they had a group that wanted to take the entire lodge during the time we were supposed to be there. They expected us to happily move to their sister property, Ebony, but for the price they charge, I don't want to stay there again. I found the rooms a bit dark and there is a glass shower in the room, which is not great when traveling with your 18 year old daughter.

I am looking at some of the companies recommended here; of particular interest is Classic Journeys as I like their product (from what they have online). Just can't decide if I'm willing to give up Africa for another destination. Thinking *maybe* New Zealand / Sidney, but it's ultimately dd's call.

Back to the drawing board :rolleyes1:sad2: . Not looking forward to going through this process again. I'm so very disappointed with Singita and how they handled the situation.
Oh, that's a shame! It sounded like such a cool trip! I'm assuming they gave you a full refund? I'm sure whatever you pick will be amazing! At least it wasn't something planned for 2019!!

Sayhello

Oh, that's a shame! It sounded like such a cool trip! I'm assuming they gave you a full refund? I'm sure whatever you pick will be amazing! At least it wasn't something planned for 2019!!

Sayhello

They are going to give a full refund. I put so much thought into the itinerary and it was good to have it all planned out, so it really stinks that they pulled this on me. Now it's back to the beginning.

Dd isn't any help in planning. I have asked her where she wants to go and so far just a few shrugs. I have suggested the Arctic (polar bears!), Europe, New Zealand / Sydney and nothing seems to interest her a great deal. Even asked if she still wants to go gorilla trekking in Rwanda then go to Tanzania and hopefully catch some of the migration, but can't get any type of response. Thankfully we do have a lot of time to plan!

They are going to give a full refund. I put so much thought into the itinerary and it was good to have it all planned out, so it really stinks that they pulled this on me. Now it's back to the beginning.

Dd isn't any help in planning. I have asked her where she wants to go and so far just a few shrugs. I have suggested the Arctic (polar bears!), Europe, New Zealand / Sydney and nothing seems to interest her a great deal. Even asked if she still wants to go gorilla trekking in Rwanda then go to Tanzania and hopefully catch some of the migration, but can't get any type of response. Thankfully we do have a lot of time to plan!
Do you want to adopt me? I’m a *little* older than 18 but I would happily go on any of those trips!

Maybe the cancellation is a blessing in disguise. If she’s having that hard a time mustering interest, maybe the money is better spent on a trip for Mom and Dad.

Maybe the cancellation is a blessing in disguise. If she’s having that hard a time mustering interest, maybe the money is better spent on a trip for Mom and Dad.
That’s true. Summer 2020 probably also feels like a really long time from now to a teenager. Hopefully she’ll have more of an opinion as it gets closer. That might mean doing a simpler trip but at least it will be something she’s chosen and is interested in.

Sounds like a classic teenager. :) Maybe just take a year off and do a solo classic journeys or backroads trip yourself?

I know there are a couple people on this thread who have traveled with Nat Geo Journeys/G Adventures so thought this may be of interest. I got an email a couple weeks ago from G Adventures that they are launching family trips under the Nat Geo Journeys brand. They’re revealing one destination per week until May 4th:

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-styles/national-geographic-journeys/family/

It’s not clear if these are replacing the family trips currently offered under G Adventures, but it seems like that may be the case since the first two destinations - Peru and Costa Rica - are ones currently offered as family trips by G Adventures.

I personally am really excited about this. I’ve been hoping that G Adventures would expand their offering of family trips since they’ve had the same 6 trips listed for at least a few years now. Maybe this rebranding/relaunch of their family itineraries under Nat Geo Journeys is why. There are 12 weeks of “reveals” for the NGJ family destinations so even if they keep the current 6 destinations they’ll be adding at least 6 new ones.
Quoting myself for reference here. I ended up messaging G Adventures on Facebook to ask if the Nat Geo Family Journeys will be replacing the current G Adventures family trips. To my surprise, they said no! Both lines of tours will be available. Now I’m really curious to see the difference in itineraries (and price points) between Nat Geo Journeys and G Adventures for destinations where they both operate family tours.

Quoting myself for reference here. I ended up messaging G Adventures on Facebook to ask if the Nat Geo Family Journeys will be replacing the current G Adventures family trips. To my surprise, they said no! Both lines of tours will be available. Now I’m really curious to see the difference in itineraries (and price points) between Nat Geo Journeys and G Adventures for destinations where they both operate family tours.

Do you know when they will release the itineraries? I looked at the site and so far just see the destinations. Now I'm very curious to see what they roll out.

As an aside, my dd used to go to school in Toronto with the owner's (of G Adventures) children (his oldest was a year younger than dd). Very, very nice humble guy (his wife is lovely as well). He organized a few private trips for select parents at the school -- sadly I wasn't able to go on either trip (he scheduled them over March break 2 years in a row), but 2 of my good friends did and they loved every minute. Though I'm not sure I would've enjoyed the overnight stay at a local family's home. I understand that Craig Keilburger's (owner of Me to We) children also go to the same school now as well (my friend's dd went on a trip with Me to We last year {through the school} to the Amazon).

Anyways looking forward to seeing these new itineraries and hoping they are a bit more luxurious than the current offerings!

Reactions: Ava
Do you know when they will release the itineraries? I looked at the site and so far just see the destinations. Now I'm very curious to see what they roll out.

As an aside, my dd used to go to school in Toronto with the owner's (of G Adventures) children (his oldest was a year younger than dd). Very, very nice humble guy (his wife is lovely as well). He organized a few private trips for select parents at the school -- sadly I wasn't able to go on either trip (he scheduled them over March break 2 years in a row), but 2 of my good friends did and they loved every minute. Though I'm not sure I would've enjoyed the overnight stay at a local family's home. I understand that Craig Keilburger's (owner of Me to We) children also go to the same school now as well (my friend's dd went on a trip with Me to We last year {through the school} to the Amazon).

Anyways looking forward to seeing these new itineraries and hoping they are a bit more luxurious than the current offerings!
No, it doesn’t say, although my guess is in May after they’ve revealed all the destinations. I’m still surprised they’re going to continue to run the G Adventures family trips after launching these, especially since both of the destinations they’ve revealed so far are already covered by G. I guess we’ll see in a couple months!

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ava
No, it doesn’t say, although my guess is in May after they’ve revealed all the destinations. I’m still surprised they’re going to continue to run the G Adventures family trips after launching these, especially since both of the destinations they’ve revealed so far are already covered by G. I guess we’ll see in a couple months!
For some Backroads itineraries/destinations, there are 2 trips, one called "casual" and one "premier," and the only difference I can see is the level of hotels (maybe restaurants also?). Perhaps this is intended to be similar - similar itineraries but 2 different levels of hotels.

LOVE the "Gift of time" for we are traveling to Croatia this summer ( we stay in Venice "free") with them as well as Swiss trip in 2020. Check out the business class specials they run every now and then for air travel. Have a great trip

We stayed in the hotel in Rome with TB and it was very near the U.S. Embassy. If this is the same hotel you will stay then there is a wonderful park a block behind the hotel which is spectacular to walk around the gardens and has a small zoo. Great view of the Vatican from an overlook in that park. We walked from the hotel to the "Wedding Cake" as well as many spots in that area. You'll love this hotel if it is the same.

Can I tell you how much I have loved booking my 2020 Siene river cruise with TB?

So, a few months back, maybe November or December, they put out the new Portugal River cruise, and I booked it before realizing that the dates don't quite work for us. So I switched my deposit to the Siene in June 2020. We were able to book a suite for me and the kids and a separate room (no solo supplement) for my husband. He gets up insanely early to work out and now he can do that without disturbing everyone else, also his room is super close to the gym. I was able to call whenever it was convenient and pick our rooms. They just priced the trip yesterday and it is perfect! The suites we got are sold out already, but it was so refreshing to not be stressed about when bookings open. We have 2 weeks to cancel for a full refund if we didn't like the pricing.

Also it ends up being cheaper for us to do it this way! We are running more than 10% less than the price for for all of us as children in the lowest category on ABD with the early booking discount for the comparable dates, and I don't even know how we could do it on ABD with more kids than adults with no connecting rooms or categories that have 3. For comparable room categories on ABD, it would be about 35% more than we are paying with TB.

I booked ABD for this summer because of the connecting 2/3 rooms, and I am sure it will be amazing, but now I am kicking myself for not saving so much more money with TB. They don't have the pricing for the pre and post nights yet, but I am assuming they will renew the Gift of Time, as they always have in the past, that should save us another $1K for the pre-night in Paris.
Sounds nice! What River Cruiseline does Tauck Bridges use?

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!