Other Options...

Sounds nice! What River Cruiseline does Tauck Bridges use?

Sayhello

The river boats that Tauck uses are owned and operated by a Swiss company called Scylla. The crew members are Scylla employees and the Cruise Director and guides are Tauck employees. I don't believe an individual can book a cruise through Scylla. I think they just provide the boats to tour companies. But I believe the boats that Tauck uses are exclusively used by Tauck.

The river boats that Tauck uses are owned and operated by a Swiss company called Scylla. The crew members are Scylla employees and the Cruise Director and guides are Tauck employees. I don't believe an individual can book a cruise through Scylla. I think they just provide the boats to tour companies. But I believe the boats that Tauck uses are exclusively used by Tauck.
That sounds really nice. ABD's ships are definitely not for the exclusive use of ABD. The ones for the Danube & Rhine were designed with ABD in mind, but AmaWaterways uses them for other cruises when the ABD's don't run. The ships for the Seine & Rhone are older AmaWaterways ships that ABD is just using for their cruises.

They own their own ships and have been running the river cruises since 2006, I believe. I think many of them are a little smaller than some of the standard lines. The ship we sail on the Siene has a maximum of 98 guests. Some of them, like the ship in Portugal, only have 84. I think the largest of their boats fit 130 max.
That *is* smaller than the ones ABD uses. The ones for the Danube & Rhine hold 140. I'm not sure about the ones for the Seine and the Rhone, but they appear to be similar.

Sayhello

We stayed in the hotel in Rome with TB and it was very near the U.S. Embassy. If this is the same hotel you will stay then there is a wonderful park a block behind the hotel which is spectacular to walk around the gardens and has a small zoo. Great view of the Vatican from an overlook in that park. We walked from the hotel to the "Wedding Cake" as well as many spots in that area. You'll love this hotel if it is the same.
Yes it's the same hotel. That's the plan for our arrival day is to walk around the Borghese Park to do some sightseeing. I would love any other suggestions or recommendations you have!

Yes it's the same hotel. That's the plan for our arrival day is to walk around the Borghese Park to do some sightseeing. I would love any other suggestions or recommendations you have!

If you enjoy the Macabe, it is very near the Bone Church where a dedicated monk made displays out of old skeletons.

If you want an excellent Michelin Star Meal, we went to Magnolia which is in walking distance and it was wonderful!

The "Bone Church" is pretty close as well as the church designed by Michelangelo. The Spanish Steps are out the front door and go down the street to the left and are right at the top of the steps. Go down and in a good walk you get to the Trevi Fountain. The hotel is a perfect jump off point for a concise overview of Rome outside the "biggies" of the Vatican and the Colosseum. In the bar they give you the best local olives to go with your drink. Best olives ever eaten. Pack some good walking shoes for it is well worth the expedition. The front desk is a wealth of knowledge as well as the "Eyewitness Travel" book on Rome. Our TB trip was my daughter's favorite (as well as ours) and found the hotels we stayed the best situated in each city.

Since Singita travel dashed our plans of the Rwanda / Tanzania / S. Africa trip next June, dd has made a preliminary decision on where she'd like to go for her grad trip!

I gave her the Nat Geo brochure today for ideas and she decided she'd like to do an Arctic (hopefully polar bear -- nothing is guaranteed) expedition! I am going to book the May 29th 17 day trip on the Endurance this week! It travels up the coast of Norway's startling landscapes (starting in Bergen -- a lot of companies fly from Oslo to Svalsbard and back), then heads past the Arctic circle to Bear Island and on to Svalsbard; from there you fly back to Norway. There is an add-on to Iceland that I may consider.

I tried to get her to consider the 10 day trip on the Explorer (which starts June 2nd), but for some reason she wanted more time on the ship. I like that the June 2nd trip had a pre-trip extension that went into the interior of Norway that sounded amazing. Tough decision for sure. ** this cruise is not offered is 2020. Oops!

**I called to book the trip and cabin category we want (lowest with a balcony -- category 3) is already sold out. One category below (which doesn't have a balcony) is available as is the one above. However the price differential between category 3 and 4 is steep. I can't bring myself to book it yet because I'm in sticker shock. Hope to overcome this early next week so I can book before category 4 sells out.

Last edited:
Just returned from Jordan, Israel and Istanbul. We spent about 8 days in Jordan staying at Amman, Petra, Wadi Rum (in a desert camp), and at the Dead Sea. We arranged for a private guide to drive us everywhere and arrange the hotels and experiences for us. Worked out well.

Then we crossed over to Israel where we joined our church group to tour up by the Sea of Galilee and the Golan Heights. Then down into the West Bank, Jericho and the Dead Sea Again. And finally to Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

On our way back we stopped for a nigh in Istanbul. Basically had a full day and the next morning before flying out. We again arranged for a private guide to take us around the city.

It was a spectacular trip. Jordan was particularly easy and not expensive (by ABD standards) to arrange with a guide for a week. I understand ABD’s reluctance to doing a trip there (they were considering it several years ago), but it really is primed for a great itinerary. It was a lot of fun.

Not them, but I will completely recommend Ama waterways. They're the ship ABD uses, and the trips cost much less without ABD, but offer just as many shore excursions. I'm planning to go on a non-ABD trip with them soon. The staff, food, and quarters were amazing. https://www.amawaterways.com/

Thank you! I’m looking into that now! Trying to decide between a river cruise or Scotland...decisions, decisions, lol

Yep. I've done ABD-AMA and AMA-only. Both were wonderful (but very different) trips. I enjoyed both immensely.

Thank you! I’m looking into that now! Trying to decide between a tulip time river cruise or Scotland...decisions, decisions, lol

We signed up for an Off the Beaten Path custom trip this summer to Yellowstone and Glacier. No full time guide, and we rent a car and drive ourselves, but they make all the arrangements for lodging and activities, hire local guides for the areas, and send a spiral bound book of maps, scenic stops, hikes, restaurant suggestions, etc. There are 2 nights of glamping included which my parents aren't over the moon about but which I think will add to the trip.

We signed up for an Off the Beaten Path custom trip this summer to Yellowstone and Glacier. No full time guide, and we rent a car and drive ourselves, but they make all the arrangements for lodging and activities, hire local guides for the areas, and send a spiral bound book of maps, scenic stops, hikes, restaurant suggestions, etc. There are 2 nights of glamping included which my parents aren't over the moon about but which I think will add to the trip.

I would love to know more about this, Aggiedog! Do you mind if I PM you?

Aggiedog,
I am also interested in learning more about your trip. I will PM you also if you don't mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!