OT: Potty Training/we started

123SA

DIS Veteran
I know this is my 3rd kid, but I honestly didn't do anything I can remember with the other 2. THey both just kind of agreed to use the potty at 3 years, 4 months. Maybe a week of a few accidents.

Kid 3 is now 3 years and 4 months and still wants nothing to do with the potty. I have been changing diapers for going on 9 yrs:scared1: . I don't want to do it any more!!!!

I don't even know where to start. He hated the little potty so we have the seats in both bathrooms. I have tried bribes without much success. I have not just taken off the diaper -- I don't understand that route. Isn't that just big mess?

Wyfy was easy to train. He just decided himself around two he didn't need no stinkin baby diapers anymore.

Little Bit, ugg, hated every moment of it.

Do you have lots of neighbors around? We live in the middle of nowhere, what worked best for Little Bit is going outside. I know. I thought how disgusting the first time I ever heard of it. But it worked with Little Bit. No other rewards or incentives worked with him.

Wyfy was easy to train. He just decided himself around two he didn't need no stinkin baby diapers anymore.

Little Bit, ugg, hated every moment of it.

Do you have lots of neighbors around? We live in the middle of nowhere, what worked best for Little Bit is going outside. I know. I thought how disgusting the first time I ever heard of it. But it worked with Little Bit. No other rewards or incentives worked with him.

Lots of neighbors and too cold. I also keep looking at my schedule and saying to myself, today is not a good day, I have too much to do. Of course, I'm never going to find a perfect day.

I hate to say it but he will train when he is ready... has to have the desire.. have you ready any "potty" books with him.. there are some at the library..

Since I was always with them, I trained them sitting down first.... just like I did DD... made the training for the other easier too.. than when they mastered that... DH told them the secret to being a boy.. You would have thought they were given a million dollars!!! :rotfl:

As for just taking the diaper off... We did that route w/ DD.. and it took one day of wet pants and she was ready to train.. is it a mess.. yup, but it sure did speed up the process...

I hate to say it but he will train when he is ready... has to have the desire.. have you ready any "potty" books with him.. there are some at the library..

Since I was always with them, I trained them sitting down first.... just like I did DD... made the training for the other easier too.. than when they mastered that... DH told them the secret to being a boy.. You would have thought they were given a million dollars!!! :rotfl:

As for just taking the diaper off... We did that route w/ DD.. and it took one day of wet pants and she was ready to train.. is it a mess.. yup, but it sure did speed up the process...

I'll look for potty books at the library today.

I plan the sitting route too -- he is very short.

THe no diaper -- entering gross territory here -- I can deal with a messy kid and messy laundry. I don't want wet smelly furniture and rugs. HOw do you escape that?

i agree with Nan. he will train when he's ready. ds woke up one monday am and i went to change him and he said "mumma i'm a big boy i don't wear diapers anymore." and that was it. he never looked back. he never liked the big potty with the seat on it. so he used the little one forever. but that's what worked for him. i wish i had a big secret, but i don't. we also started on by sitting him on his bum. then dh showed the big boy way also.
good luck.
the pedi told me once that there are 3 things you will never control with your baby......you can't make the sleep, you can't make them eat and you can't make them potty train. i guess he's right.

THe no diaper -- entering gross territory here -- I can deal with a messy kid and messy laundry. I don't want wet smelly furniture and rugs. HOw do you escape that?

my mother told me to tell you that every 10 minutes put him on the potty and ask him to try. she said that's what she did for us! of course that was a million years ago!

Ugghh -- I know. (Whining here) But the other 2 were 3 yrs, 4 months! Why can't he just follow along?

my mother told me to tell you that every 10 minutes put him on the potty and ask him to try. she said that's what she did for us! of course that was a million years ago!

Well - -the kids mom mom always tells me, "He won't go to the prom in a diaper. WHy worry about it?"

I may try your mom's idea for a day and see what happens.

Well - -the kids mom mom always tells me, "He won't go to the prom in a diaper. WHy worry about it?"

I may try your mom's idea for a day and see what happens.

OMG! my mother used to say that ALL the time to me when i was stressing over it too!! that's funny!

I put a vinyl mat under a blanket on the carpet and they weren't allowed on my furniture!!! :) I worked in a nursing home taking care of the elderly and a children's home...so nothing grosses me out.. I've seen it all (life and death)...

Ditto the every 10- 15 minute route..after a while they'll get tired of constantly going in there and will conform to the rountine! LOL

I also ditto the 10 minute intervals. We tried potty training DS too and he was just too busy. Then one day he decided he wanted to, it was his decision and it was beyond when DH and I were ready. I tried him sitting down because I thought he was too short too.... but he wouldn't have it. He trained standing up! :confused3

Good luck Susan. I only have the one child and at 2 1/2 he decided he wanted to use the potty since all the older kids in his daycare class moved up to the 3 year old room and his teacher told him he couldn't until he used the potty. It was major motivation for him. He only had 1 or 2 accidents and he hated that feeling of icky underwear and clothes. We also started him sitting down at first.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. I like the 10-15 minute interval idea. That would probably have worked on my DS if I'd needed to go that route as he would have hated it and figured out that it was better to go with the system.

Good luck!

All right. I am going with the 10 -15 minutes route...but tomorrow. DH will be home and I'll have some moral support:)

Good for you Susan.. Just make sure DH and you are on the same page and he helps with this..otherwise you could have DS trying to con DH into not doing the mommy routine!!! :) kids are smart that way!!!

But, DON'T give him the stickers -

A1010148.jpg

It's in my photobucket account.
I used for some other comment once upon a time and it worked for this one too. :rotfl2:

And those really are "reward" type stickers.
:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter