OT:Costco Birthday Cakes?

lovinpoohbear

lovinpoohbear
Just wondering if anyone has eaten a costco birthday cake? I am planning my ds birthday, and as a new Costco member, I have discovered their birthday cakes are cheap! A half sheet that feeds up to 48 people is only $16.99! This includes a filling AND a design on the cake.
We are doing a sports theme and they have a couple of designs to pick from that will go with the party.
Are they good though? I have never eaten one before and the price seems too good to be true!!!
Any opinions?? :)

the costco by use the cakes are very good. they have many different flavors you can get. go for it. dont like it take it back. plus anything you buy from costco is guaranteed for one year. so if you buy something you return it if you decide you dont like it anymore.

Mmmmm, I love Costco cakes. They are much better than the cakes I've bought from some of the other chain store bakeries in my area. The only possible down side is that their designs are somewhat limited, but if they have a design that will work for you, then you shouldn't be disappointed with the flavors. And like a pp said, if you don't like something, take it back. They have a very generous return policy.

hth

We don't have a Costco in my area, but I have had their cakes at parties and teas. Very yummy. Fluffy icing.

I still have 1/2 a cake in my fridge from dd's birthday party last week. Still delicious!

We love Costco cakes. Especially the yellow cake with chocolate mouse filling! YUM! Now I'm going to be craving it and we don't have any birthdays in sight!

I had my first cosco cake today at my nephew's birthday party. It was really good. It had the chocolate mousse filling. I was impressed.

Yes, they are great! And for the price you can't beat it! We had one for Nicholas's first birthday and christening and I was happy!

Costco cakes are the BEST! I won't get cake from my local bakery anymore. Costco cakes are very moist and the filling is light and not too sweet. The frosting is too sweet for me, but all frosting is too sweet for me.
At our local bakery a quarter sheet starts at $40 and goes up for filling/design.

I have found that at my Costco they will do designs other than what they display/have in their book. I now attach a large color copy of the design I want to my order and write out exact instructions on what I want.

Here are photos of cakes Costco has done for me. The Cars cake was done yesterday for DS's bday; I think they went far above and beyond! The party hat cake was for DD's 1st birthday in June and was Pooh party themed. This is pretty typical of what they can do to accommodate a different design. The Bob the builder cake was the first time they did a unique design and I kept it very simple.

FYI- I purchase the figurines and place them on the cake.

That being said, I have talked to the bakers working there when I drop my order and also received a phone call to clarify what I wanted on the Cars cake. It is best to talk to someone in the day - that is when the bakery manager works.

Picture2440.jpg

Picture2341.jpg

Picture1369.jpg

I will add my thumbs up to Costco for birthday cakes. We have had many over the years and they all got rave reviews. It has not been my experience that they will customize the design. That need not be a problem. You can alway get a basic cake and add a small toy or figure if needed to work with your theme.

Yes, definitely try it. All All4Fun mentioned, the designs are limited, and this is a drawback, but as Mrs D says, they will sometimes make exceptions. I think it depends on the location and how cool the bakery staff is about being flexible. They are not obligated to go outside their designs, and this is mostly to keep employees consistently trained on what they can offer customers.

One year, they did 2 pirate cakes for DS's 5th birthday. We had a chocolate cake with chocolate filling and the design on top looked like an old treasure map. I drew the picture for them, and later added a couple of palm trees and boulders for map landmarks. The other cake was white with cheesecake filling and cream cheese frosting, and they made an island in the corner with the rest looking like ocean waves. I later added a boat, pirates , a treasure chest and trees.

As you have noticed, it is very hard to go wrong with 16.99, and even the local grocery store bakeries are much more, and are usually terrible. I used to go to a local bakery (which I still love), but the same size cake starts at $40, and I just can't justify that anymore. I am sure you will be satisfied.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I am lucky since my son chose a sports theme. We have all the party supplies already, everything has all sports on them.
Costco has Soccer, Baseball, Football and Basketball to choose from. I did ask if it was possible to get all put on the cake but was told NO by one of the bakers there. Maybe I will try to ask someone else there later in the week if they could do it.
I looked at my order form and it says that each half sheet is filled with 2 lbs of filling!
Does anyone have any more Costco cakes to post? Especially the sports ones? At my Costco they only had flower cakes to see.
All of the examples of thier designs are just on a board in the bakery.
I would love to see some "real" cakes, lol!!
I think I get more excited about the kids parties than they do!!!:goodvibes

You have soooo made me want cake!

I am a member of costco in the UK and we don't get that many designs, anyone know where costo is in the orlando area? might just have to have a trip, oh and Makro too?

There is only one type of cake at my Costco. It is a white cake with a custard type filling. The cake is okay - not my favourite, but kids always seem happy with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter