• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Order from any menu

With the current version of the app (that was released in Feb 2018), you can no longer see the other restaurant menus. :( This was a disappointing "feature" on my cruise ending last Sunday. Of course, this could change again in the future!
Of course you can view the menus. The nights that the rotational menus are being served are available for you to see (for the night you are dining there). If you have Animator's the first night, and, say, Enchanted Garden the second night, you already know what's on the AP menu. And you can certainly stop by the different dining rooms to see the menu on display there before you go into whatever dining you are assigned to that night and will have an idea of what's on those menus.

All other nights, the same menu is served in all dining rooms, so there's no necessity to "see what's in the other dining rooms".

Unless it is an allergy issue and there is no acceptable substitute, why would you do this? These servers work SO hard (and I'd course they will smile and say yes). Your special request will cause them more work and slow down every one else's dinner. Perhaps I'm sensitive to this because I was raised in a restaurant family....but eat what's on the menu!

This ++

The servers are moving full time during the meal, and each special request, no matter how small it may seem to us, adds that much more to their time. And their wonderful attitude of "of course" makes it easy for us to make such requests (demands?) on their time.

Respect their time, choose from the wonderful menu offered to you (which has lots of options, not just the main entrees), don't ask for beans instead of peas, don't ask for Mickey Bars...be a good guest. Trust me on this one, treat them like the great people they are (not your servant!), and you will get it back tenfold. The setting, the food, the choices, the service, are all magical, and you should relish it.

If you want things from the other menus, check out Cabanas on some nights. They have an offering from all the other menus. We tried it for the first time on our last cruise. The food was definitely warmer than in the MDR. Staff is just as friendly as they are training to be servers one day.

This ++

The servers are moving full time during the meal, and each special request, no matter how small it may seem to us, adds that much more to their time. And their wonderful attitude of "of course" makes it easy for us to make such requests (demands?) on their time.

Respect their time, choose from the wonderful menu offered to you (which has lots of options, not just the main entrees), don't ask for beans instead of peas, don't ask for Mickey Bars...be a good guest. Trust me on this one, treat them like the great people they are (not your servant!), and you will get it back tenfold. The setting, the food, the choices, the service, are all magical, and you should relish it.

Why wouldn't you ask for Mickey Bars? They are on the kids dessert menu....

don't ask for beans instead of peas

If peas are included with another dish from the same menu, what would be the issue in asking for a substitution for the beans if that's what you preferred? Sometimes I will ask for a swap (I don't normally eat potatoes or pasta) or ask to have a sauce left off the dish. I'm not asking in a snarky way; I just don't see the problem with swapping an item from the same dining room menu.

If peas are included with another dish from the same menu, what would be the issue in asking for a substitution for the beans if that's what you preferred? Sometimes I will ask for a swap (I don't normally eat potatoes or pasta) or ask to have a sauce left off the dish. I'm not asking in a snarky way; I just don't see the problem with swapping an item from the same dining room menu.

The issue arises because they partially plate dishes in the back ahead of time. They have to do this to crank out the hundreds of plates that go to tables at the same time. Every special request and substitution requires kitchen staff to break out of their routine and slows the whole process down. It also adds stress to what is a whirl of activity already.

The issue arises because they partially plate dishes in the back ahead of time. They have to do this to crank out the hundreds of plates that go to tables at the same time. Every special request and substitution requires kitchen staff to break out of their routine and slows the whole process down. It also adds stress to what is a whirl of activity already.
This is also why, if you ask for something else, you will often get the other item IN ADDITION to what you were supposed to get originally.

Thanks for the response. This approach seems a bit wasteful to me. If I order something and don't like the sides that accompany it, I'd be wasting food. Then the servers get upset because they think you didn't like something, and my understanding is that the comment card questions regarding food reflect back upon the servers.

Thanks for the response. This approach seems a bit wasteful to me. If I order something and don't like the sides that accompany it, I'd be wasting food. Then the servers get upset because they think you didn't like something, and my understanding is that the comment card questions regarding food reflect back upon the servers.

Cruises are wasteful by their very nature.

This ++

This is just silly, if I don't like a side that is combined with the dish, there is nothing wrong with asking to substitute it with something else. This is done at any normal restaurant, Disney is equipped enough to handle it as well.

This ++

This is taking it a little too far. Asking to sub out an available side, or asking for a little dish of another side you’d like, or asking to get something “without tomatoes” for example is a completely reasonable and expected request. Yes the kitchen has set up efficiencies but this isnt the $4 a plate Blue Light Cafeteria, and no one breaks a sweat if one of the chefs have to take an extra plate and scoop a different side on it.

Playing devils advocate here -

How many people who have responded to this post have worked as a server on a Disney ship? Because unless you have, you really don’t know how much extra work it is.

I’m paying triple the amount for a Disney Cruise than I would for Carnival. If I want to substitute beans for peas, I will. If I want a Mickey bar, I’m going to ask for it. I tip well, though that’s also nobody’s business. I’m not sure why anyone here feels inclined to tell me how much I should tip. That’s my business, and you’re not the tip police.

Many people who respond with ‘dont do it’ are the same people who say it’s ok to order as many entrees as you want. That’s FAR more wasteful than just asking for pasta purses that you love from another restaurant.

Note: I’ve never ordered off menu . I just choose not to judge those who do.

This is just silly, if I don't like a side that is combined with the dish, there is nothing wrong with asking to substitute it with something else. This is done at any normal restaurant, Disney is equipped enough to handle it as well.
Banquet style meals aren’t served like “normal” restaurants. They do start plating ahead, often in predicted amounts. Serving 200,300 or 500 meals in a short time means planning. I worked a banquet for 600. Servers went out to take orders, the kitchen was plating already. The chef predicted 50% chicken, 30% beef, 15% fish, 5% veg. About 500 plated in this ratio. When the servers returned, numbers were tallied for the exact count and the last 100plates were completed to meet the exact orders

I think people need to feel free to make whatever request they feel comfortable making without being made to feel guilty by others. I can go to a Denny's and they'll be happy to make substitutions on the menu, especially if it's something as simple as asking for beans instead of peas or asking for an ice cream bar that's already on the menu. Why would I expect less than that from Disney? Disney is always about going that extra mile to make sure that their guests are happy and one should not feel guilty taking advantage of that on occasion. I'm sure the people who work in the kitchen are quite competent and can handle just about any reasonable request.

I asked for a bscuit that was on another meal, but not with the meal I wanted, thinking he'd just grab a biscuit for me. No. He brought me two meals so I could have the biscuit. I felt bad, but was able to taste the other meal, at least. The biscuit was very nice, though. I'm glad I was able to have it, but I did waste a meal. As others have said, it was probably easier for the waiter to bring me the whole plate where I could possibly taste or eat the meal instead of just taking the premade plate out of the line and tossing everything but the biscuit. Maybe to put it back into the line and ask for a biscuit would have been out of rotation (guy placing biscuits was maybe on to potatoes or something).

I think people need to feel free to make whatever request they feel comfortable making without being made to feel guilty by others. I can go to a Denny's and they'll be happy to make substitutions on the menu, especially if it's something as simple as asking for beans instead of peas or asking for an ice cream bar that's already on the menu. Why would I expect less than that from Disney? Disney is always about going that extra mile to make sure that their guests are happy and one should not feel guilty taking advantage of that on occasion. I'm sure the people who work in the kitchen are quite competent and can handle just about any reasonable request.
Good points about paying a premium. If you do it, no one's going to look sideways at you, although another waiter might dissuade you from making the special request, as it's extra work.

Interestingly, I wonder if they have to log the number of plates they take out for their shift? I mean if one waiter is always bringing out double mains and another isn't, does DCL care? Someone surely must track that stuff.

Playing devils advocate here -

How many people who have responded to this post have worked as a server on a Disney ship? Because unless you have, you really don’t know how much extra work it is.

I’m paying triple the amount for a Disney Cruise than I would for Carnival. If I want to substitute beans for peas, I will. If I want a Mickey bar, I’m going to ask for it. I tip well, though that’s also nobody’s business. I’m not sure why anyone here feels inclined to tell me how much I should tip. That’s my business, and you’re not the tip police.

Many people who respond with ‘dont do it’ are the same people who say it’s ok to order as many entrees as you want. That’s FAR more wasteful than just asking for pasta purses that you love from another restaurant.

Note: I’ve never ordered off menu . I just choose not to judge those who do.

I agree. I have tremendous respect for the service industry. I was a server for 5 years. I don’t see any issue with politely making special requests. With the price I am paying to cruise, I am
not eating beans when I want the peas that are readily available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter