Options for someone who cant stand for long periods

Ikaikalani

Tee-Eye-double Guh-err
There will be four of us, all adults, visiting the parks in March 2022. One of the four has developed psoriatic arthritis and has a lot of pain if standing for long periods. Does Disney offer any type of line assistance for this? Maybe something like 3 of us wait in line while #4 waits/sits in the loading area for us to arrive, then we all board together? In the past it wasn't an issue, but now with the arthritis having developed we're having to change up our strategy but not sure of our options. TIA for any advice.

I would like to suggest you get a scooter, preferably through an outside vendor. Most lines in the parks can accommodate a scooter. Those that don't A cast member will direct you. The parks will require lots of standing and walking. The average guest can walk up to 8-12 miles per day.

Unfortunately Disney does not allow a person to sit somewhere else and meet others in line. A scooter (ecv) will allow the person to "sit". If they feel they want to try and walk through a store or line, the scooter can be parked outside (using stroller parking).

As someone with decades of arthritis and avid Disney goer - I can't stress enough them getting an ECV. The lines are nothing compared to the amount of walking during the day. They can park it on arrival while they are feeling great if they want then use the second half of the day. It really can make the difference between a great visit and a painful one.

I know what used to be offered, but we haven't been since 2015. My husband loved to walk -- would hate to be told to rent a scooter -- but could not stand in a line as it triggered a neuroligical reaction. Even checkout lines in a grocery store will have his head spinning. Back in 2015 and before, he was allowed to wait in an open area near the boarding area and then we were called up when it was our turn. I would hope something like that still exists.

I know what used to be offered, but we haven't been since 2015. My husband loved to walk -- would hate to be told to rent a scooter -- but could not stand in a line as it triggered a neuroligical reaction. Even checkout lines in a grocery store will have his head spinning. Back in 2015 and before, he was allowed to wait in an open area near the boarding area and then we were called up when it was our turn. I would hope something like that still exists.
Unfortunately that is not the case any longer.

If the guest does not have a mobility related issue (that can be resolved by using a wheelchair or scooter), but does have an issue that prevents them from being able to wait in an attraction queue line, then the DAS (Disability Access Service) may be an option. I personally am mobile and can walk many miles at the parks, but have a condition where standing relatively still in a long queue line just isn't possible for me.

Keep in mind, however, that the DAS is only used for obtaining a return time at attractions inside of the park, and will not allow you to avoiding standing in lines for food & merchandise, standing while waiting to view night time fireworks shows, or waiting in the sometimes lengthy transportation queues. So if staying on-site, where guests will need to deal with many additional types of lines, the scooter or wheelchair may still be your best option.

Unfortunately that is not the case any longer.
That is exactly what the cast member at guest services told us would be available: "Go to the ride and they will provide a wheelchair to sit in while waiting." They are not consistent in their messaging.

That is exactly what the cast member at guest services told us would be available: "Go to the ride and they will provide a wheelchair to sit in while waiting." They are not consistent in their messaging.
Could you expand on this more? When were you told this? Was it in person at the parks or over the phone?

If they’re resistant to the idea of an ECV, a rollator or manual wheelchair can be helpful, they can push it when they want to walk, but then have a seat available during long periods of standing.

I also have PA, and I made the choice on one trip to go without a mobility aid. I knew it would be difficult, but I also knew my condition would get worse and wanted to do it once unencumbered while it was still a possibility. We went at a time of year when heat and humidity were relatively low, because they both aggravate my joints. I spent a lot of time in lines doing stretches. I stayed on a strict schedule of pain and anti-inflammatory medications. Both of those things were probably the most helpful. We scheduled table-service lunches and midday hotel breaks. It was manageable. I don’t think I’d do it again, though.

That is bad information. Can you imagine if everyone with this type of mobility issue did that? There is not enough room, nor enough wheelchairs for them to accommodate everyone like this. And imagine being the guest that is counting on this service and it not being available because too many people are waiting in that area. Unfortunately, WDW has become much too busy for those types of accommodations. It makes more sense to have everyone responsible for their mobility aids. I know that some rides have to have you transfer from your ECV to a manual wheelchair, but that is only a few rides. Maybe that is what the cast member was thinking of.

That is bad information. Can you imagine if everyone with this type of mobility issue did that? There is not enough room, nor enough wheelchairs for them to accommodate everyone like this. And imagine being the guest that is counting on this service and it not being available because too many people are waiting in that area. Unfortunately, WDW has become much too busy for those types of accommodations. It makes more sense to have everyone responsible for their mobility aids. I know that some rides have to have you transfer from your ECV to a manual wheelchair, but that is only a few rides. Maybe that is what the cast member was thinking of.

Reading your reply turned on a lightbulb for me. When I read the words "mobility issue" I realized that my husband's problem is almost the exact opposite, his is an "immobility issue." He can't stand still in one spot for a long and if that spot is in any way closed in, he'll lose balance. He has to keep moving, a slow pace is better than no pace. Being mobile isn't a problem, being immobile is.

Back in 2015 and before, he was allowed to wait in an open area near the boarding area and then we were called up when it was our turn.
Are you sure this was at WDW? In 20+ years, I've never known WDW to have a waiting area near boarding. They have used GAC and now DAS. I believe Universal has waiting rooms near ride boarding. Mentioning this so others who come across this thread don't think it may be an option.

I would not count on this. At attractions where an ECV is not allowed into the queue, yes they have wheelchairs to use in the queue. But just to wait and ... join the party at boarding? The queues and attractions are not really set-up for that kind of thing.

Reading your reply turned on a lightbulb for me. When I read the words "mobility issue" I realized that my husband's problem is almost the exact opposite, his is an "immobility issue." He can't stand still in one spot for a long and if that spot is in any way closed in, he'll lose balance. He has to keep moving, a slow pace is better than no pace. Being mobile isn't a problem, being immobile is.

Yeah, that is a very tough situation to be in at a theme park. There is no way to avoid having to stand still at some point. Other then having a place to sit in those times, there is not much anyone can do. If I were in this situation, I would rent a wheelchair and push it myself and have it with me at those times that the line stops. Nothing else you can do, because even with DAS, that line will stop. Plus you have the line for food, bus, etc.

It sounds to me that you will need to rent a wheelchair or an ECV for him for when you are waiting in line.
A wheelchair that can be pushed and then used when lines stop would be perfect for you. There are many times when lines stop moving completely and since he isn't interested in an ECV, a wheelchair will do as well. Maybe he will even want to rent an ECV after reading peoples positive experiences with it.

Disney doesn't let people join you later in lines and there aren't places for him to sit and wait for you to reach a certain point in line. It's just too crowded now for that.

I was very resistant to having to use an ECV. I'm someone who can't walk distances anymore thanks to severe osteoarthritis (didn't expect to have that happen in my late 50's!) and can not stand for long periods of time without knee pain. And now that I'm more comfortable with an ECV, it makes my trips possible again - many of them are solo!

Certain rides on my last trip like Peter Pan did have wheelchairs to transfer into but I was solo so I had no one to help me out with that one. But not every attraction has wheelchairs available to use. Most attractions you could go through the main line with a wheelchair or ECV - some had tight turns but it was doable.

Are you sure this was at WDW? In 20+ years, I've never known WDW to have a waiting area near boarding. They have used GAC and now DAS. I believe Universal has waiting rooms near ride boarding. Mentioning this so others who come across this thread don't think it may be an option.

I would not count on this. At attractions where an ECV is not allowed into the queue, yes they have wheelchairs to use in the queue. But just to wait and ... join the party at boarding? The queues and attractions are not really set-up for that kind of thing.
Not to mention I imagine CMs would stop them immediately if this was attempted.

The types of attractions with wheelchairs available would be those where the line in not ECV accessible - guests using ECVs can choose to walk or borrow an attraction wheelchair.
Attractions with a wheelchair accessible ride car also often have an attraction wheelchair at the boarding area. That allows guests who would have difficulty boarding a regular ride car to borrow a wheelchair to ride in the accessible ride car.

It’s happened more than once where we got to a queue where you needed to transfer from an ECV to a manual WC, but they didn’t have any WCs available. I can’t imagine how much worse the shortage would be if they just gave them out to everybody.

Actually, Disneyland used to suggest this when they first changed to the GAC and then when they first changed to the DAS and you pointed out that as a passholder you couldn't afford to rent every time you came to the parks and didn't need one for other activities. I always assumed Disney World did the same at the time.

They have since changed their stance a bit and tell you to speak with a CM at each attraction to see what, if anything can be done.

Honestly, rent a scooter from an offsite company, Gold Mobility is very affordable and will make the trip far more enjoyable than the stress of trying to figure it out. If they really don't want a scooter, then a wheelchair, but that gets hard to push all day, even if they get out and push it empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter