Online check-in worthwhile now?

I'm older and a bit confused. If you don't stop by the FD, how are the magic bands activated? We have Fastpasses, ADRs, etc. chosen ahead of time online.

The magic band doesn't need to be activated. It will work just fine when you get there on checkin day.

What does the pin do?
The pin number allows you to use your Magic Band to charge things to your room. Sort of like the pin number you use at an ATM machine. Not sure if it is part of using the any Dining Plans as we haven't had any dining plans since the Magic Bands.

Thanks for the warning because that takes my family out of the online check in can't speak for the other adults in my party but I don't want my credit/ debit card on my magic band it I have my crazy reasons for that

Thanks for the warning because that takes my family out of the online check in can't speak for the other adults in my party but I don't want my credit/ debit card on my magic band it I have my crazy reasons for that
Take a look at the Online Check In as I am not sure if you have to add a Credit/Debit Card. We do it not only at Disney but other major hotels we stay . Never had any problems.

Last edited:
Online check-in is evolving. For the first time this year we were able to make a "balcony" request using online. Never got that request option before.

Unless you deactivated your magicband, it's already active.

I'm older and a bit confused. If you don't stop by the FD, how are the magic bands activated? We have Fastpasses, ADRs, etc. chosen ahead of time online.

That's not a silly question at all, I have never done online checkin and I was wondering the same thing. I remember the front desk usually scans our magic bands when we check in the front desk.

I arrived 3 days ago at ASMu and used online check-in for the first time. It didn't so go well. I discovered the room notification at 2:30 via MDE (no text so not sure how long it was actually there), went to room and magicbands didn't work. All had to be reset, however the requests I made online and over phone were met. Too bad we ended up having to change rooms, but that's a whole 'nother thread...

Online Check in is worth it to me because I want to get the bypass the front desk text. I've had a few trips recently where I never even approached the desk for the whole trip.

However even if you do online it doesn't mean you CAN'T go to the desk if you need help.

Our Travel Agent recommended we do online check in, and because we had already called in and noted other room preferences, said to just not complete the room request portion of it, so we just skipped that part. I think the only worry was if you did room requests at online check in, if that would overtake any other requests you may have made (which maybe weren't available as a choice for online check in.)

Maybe it's just me and the fact that this will be my first time ever staying at a Disney resort, but I WANT to check in at the front desk. I want that to be my first Disney interaction and friendly face, and heck, because it's my 50th birthday celebration trip, I'm hoping a little magic might happen--but that can't if they don't know.
:tink:

I recognize that it's entirely possible that this novelty would wear off with repeat visits. :earboy2:

Maybe it's just me and the fact that this will be my first time ever staying at a Disney resort, but I WANT to check in at the front desk. I want that to be my first Disney interaction and friendly face, and heck, because it's my 50th birthday celebration trip, I'm hoping a little magic might happen--but that can't if they don't know.
:tink:

I recognize that it's entirely possible that this novelty would wear off with repeat visits. :earboy2:
Again, you can do both.
Nothing stops you from doing online check in AND going to the front desk.
It's allowed

And it's important to note that Disney assigns your room prior to your arrival no matter if you complete online check in or if you don't complete online check in. So, whatever magic happens, has happened before you arrive. Rooms are assigned 2 or so days out

Again, you can do both.
And it's important to note that Disney assigns your room prior to your arrival no matter if you complete online check in or if you don't complete online check in. So, whatever magic happens, has happened before you arrive. Rooms are assigned 2 or so days out

I'll have to stop at the desk anyway for a couple of reasons, but that's good to know. :)

Generally I've had rooms ready at arrival, whether it has been at 10 am or 3pm. I'll be arriving at AoA on October 29th to attend the Halloween party and hoping the room will be ready upon arrival. We will be arriving at about 10am and since we're only going to the party that day at 4pm (will be hanging at the resort the first part of the day), we hope the room will be ready a few hours before 4pm so we can get ready for the party. Can I make a request for early availability?

Generally I've had rooms ready at arrival, whether it has been at 10 am or 3pm. I'll be arriving at AoA on October 29th to attend the Halloween party and hoping the room will be ready upon arrival. We will be arriving at about 10am and since we're only going to the party that day at 4pm (will be hanging at the resort the first part of the day), we hope the room will be ready a few hours before 4pm so we can get ready for the party. Can I make a request for early availability?
Yes. You check the box during online check in

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter