Online check-in worthwhile now?

Seabean

Mouseketeer
Going to be at the WL later this week, and we're starting to get the emails asking us to do Online check-in.

I remember a few years back folks here were advising not to do this. What's the word now?

They promote this thing as being able to go directly to your room and avoid the front desk... is it as simple as that? Or is there a catch? Just askin'.

You can go straight to your room if it's ready when you arrive. If not you will have to wait around for a text that tells you it's ready. We did it twice in a May at the Beach Club. The first time we arrived around 12:00 PM and it was not ready until 1:30 PM. We got a text that said to go to the front desk because they had to link our bands to the room (even though we did online check-in). The second time our room wasn't ready until almost 4:00 PM. We used online check in and faxed in a specific request for a second floor room with a large balcony. We got the exact room we wanted (I know it's not guaranteed). We didn't have to go to the front desk after getting the text that it was ready that time.

I think some people recommend skipping it if you have specific requests that you called or faxed in and you want to make sure are met. When you check-in, they won't tell you your room number if it's not ready, but you can ask if your requests were met.

We usually get there late afternoon, so the online check in works great for us. I've never been to the front desk of a Disney hotel (only been twice though).

We were there in June and yes, it was as simple as that. First part of the trip, we stayed at CR. We got there around 8:00 am and went straight to the park. Got a text at Noon that our room was ready, so we took a break and went back to the resort. Did not have to go to the front desk at all. Second part of our trip, we were at BC and it took longer, we got a text our room was ready about 3:00 pm, but again we were able to skip the front desk.

We've always done it. I've never known it wasn't advisable. Never been a problem
Can't imagine why you wouldn't do it personally

I think some people recommend skipping it if you have specific requests that you called or faxed in and you want to make sure are met. When you check-in, they won't tell you your room number if it's not ready, but you can ask if your requests were met.
Online check in doesn't have anything to do with specific requests being met or not met. If you mean that doing online check in means you skip the front desk it only means you CAN skip the front desk. It doesn't mean you MUST skip the front desk. You can still do online check in and you can still go to the front desk if you want.

We've always done it. I've never known it wasn't advisable. Never been a problem
Can't imagine why you wouldn't do it personally

Online check in doesn't have anything to do with specific requests being met or not met. If you mean that doing online check in means you skip the front desk it only means you CAN skip the front desk. It doesn't mean you MUST skip the front desk. You can still do online check in and you can still go to the front desk if you want.

^^^^This exactly.

I will add, if you have made a room request either by phone or fax, just don't contradict it with the online check-in room request section, I'd skip that section entirely.

And as AngiTN said, it doesn't prevent you from going to the front desk. We recently did a split stay. We checked out of AKL and went over to the Contemporay around 11am. We had not gotten any text yet, so DH suggested we go by the front desk just to check if anything was available. The very kind CM found us a room that was ready and available. I don't know if we gave up a better room, we'll never know.

^^^^This exactly.

I will add, if you have made a room request either by phone or fax, just don't contradict it with the online check-in room request section, I'd skip that section entirely.

And as AngiTN said, it doesn't prevent you from going to the front desk. We recently did a split stay. We checked out of AKL and went over to the Contemporay around 11am. We had not gotten any text yet, so DH suggested we go by the front desk just to check if anything was available. The very kind CM found us a room that was ready and available. I don't know if we gave up a better room, we'll never know.

I have a question regarding phoning resort with our request. We are checking in for a brief 3 night stay at Akl, for a resort/pool/food only trip. I did online checkin requesting Close to the Lobby, which we always prefer. The only thing is for this particular trip, I am recovering from 2 surgeries, one which has me in a combersome bootcast. I don't need a wheelchair or scooter, I just can't handle a long hike from our room to the pool. Do you think I should call the Lodge, to explain the reason for my request? Would that help? And where would I get that telephone number?

We always do online check-in and have not once had our room ready before arrival. We typically arrive at 3-3:30 and have to go to the desk and the room is ready after 4pm.

I have a question regarding phoning resort with our request. We are checking in for a brief 3 night stay at Akl, for a resort/pool/food only trip. I did online checkin requesting Close to the Lobby, which we always prefer. The only thing is for this particular trip, I am recovering from 2 surgeries, one which has me in a combersome bootcast. I don't need a wheelchair or scooter, I just can't handle a long hike from our room to the pool. Do you think I should call the Lodge, to explain the reason for my request? Would that help? And where would I get that telephone number?

You can't contact the front desk of any resort directly. My advice would be to call the Disney reservations number and have it noted on your reservation.

We have always done online check in since it was rolled out. Our room requests are usually honored and those who say that going to the front desk to get the room request you want need to remember that it's a request and going to the desk isn't going to make it magically happen... :rolleyes1

Online works for us. We usually arrive late afternoon and hit the parks. It's much easier to just get the text, bypass the desk, and go straight to our room.

We are arriving early via DME (plane lands at 9:45am) and want to head straight to Typhoon Lagoon. I know our suitcases will go directly to our rooms, but could we leave our carry ons at the front desk until later in the day since our room won't be ready?? That way we don't have to carry all our backpacks with us to TL and rent a locker. :-) (The backpacks have our swimsuits and sunscreen which we will change into in the lobby bathrooms, I hope!! :-)

We are arriving early via DME (plane lands at 9:45am) and want to head straight to Typhoon Lagoon. I know our suitcases will go directly to our rooms, but could we leave our carry ons at the front desk until later in the day since our room won't be ready?? That way we don't have to carry all our backpacks with us to TL and rent a locker. :-) (The backpacks have our swimsuits and sunscreen which we will change into in the lobby bathrooms, I hope!! :-)

Yes you can leave your carry ons with Bell Services and head straight to Typhoon Lagoon.

Yep as Dansdad said above, you can check your carry ons, any luggage etc that you don't want to carry around to Bell Services.

This past august when we checked in at Boardwalk, we checked our carry ons over at bell services and then took a walk over to Hollywood studios. When we got back our room still wasn't ready, so we changed in the shower rooms and hung out by the pool.

When I try to check in online it is making me set a pin for everyone in my party or else it won't let me go forward. Has anyone else had this issues? I don't want everyone to have a pin.

When I try to check in online it is making me set a pin for everyone in my party or else it won't let me go forward. Has anyone else had this issues? I don't want everyone to have a pin.
The only ones in my party are me, DH, DD and DGD. DGD doesn't get a PIN but MDE may not require it as she's just 9. I don't have any problems giving the PIN to DH and DD so I've never had to try to get past it
Can you just assign the PIN and then not give it out to those you don't want to use it?

Here is my question... we are checking in on Dec 9 to Pop, and we really want to be in the 70s and get a refurbed room. I already called in my request for a refurbed room a few months back, and had it noted on my reservation (although I cant see it is that an issue... I might just not know where to look). I am going to call and have the 70s added as well. I am wondering if calling is the best way to have stuff put on the reservation, and if I am better to also online check in and have consistent requests with what I noted (mainly that I want the 70s section) to try and get the room I want. I think we will have to go to the check in desk anyways as we have to set up credit cards separately on each of our magic bands. What does everyone recommend we do?

Here is my question... we are checking in on Dec 9 to Pop, and we really want to be in the 70s and get a refurbed room. I already called in my request for a refurbed room a few months back, and had it noted on my reservation (although I cant see it is that an issue... I might just not know where to look). I am going to call and have the 70s added as well. I am wondering if calling is the best way to have stuff put on the reservation, and if I am better to also online check in and have consistent requests with what I noted (mainly that I want the 70s section) to try and get the room I want. I think we will have to go to the check in desk anyways as we have to set up credit cards separately on each of our magic bands. What does everyone recommend we do?
You can't see requests on your reservation, so no
If you have already put the request in you don't have to call and put the request in again. Unless you want to waste time on their horrible phone system again (can you tell I'm not a fan?)
You can still complete online check in if you want. You don't have to complete the room request portion

We always do online checkin. Only make one request. We arrived at 1:30 last Thursday afternoon and stopped to eat at the airport. We didn't receive our room information until after 4:00 when we were on the DME. We went right to the room and it's a perfect location, so it worked out well.

I'm older and a bit confused. If you don't stop by the FD, how are the magic bands activated? We have Fastpasses, ADRs, etc. chosen ahead of time online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter