One thing I saw in our new DVC member book that cracked my DH up!!!

I ALSO don't use their shampoo or soap. I do use the lotion though. The point isn't that I don't think they give you enough at the start. The point is that if you do in fact use it and request more that you would be CHARGED for it. I just think that is silly.

Me and my husband do think that sometimes they go way beyond their call of duty, while other times they get really petty with things. Just thought it was funny (but irritating) that they would charge us 3.00 if we needed more.

and NORMR...? Did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed today??? I'm not about to sell over a .50 bottle of shampoo. So lighten up on me. As you said...there are more important things to worry about right now than slamming me for this post!!!!!

The point is that if you do in fact use it and request more that you would be CHARGED for it. I just think that is silly.

I totally agree with you. I was one of the members that received the annual DVC questionaire back in 1998 (?) which asked if we members wanted to continue to pay dues so DVC members can get free extra soap, extra towels and room changes. I said "yes" because I thought that removing those perks was an erosion of our overall vacation value. Of course, it's human nature to think "I don't need/use X, so I don't want to pay for someone else to have it either." and IIRC an overwelming number of people voted to have it removed. I think that dues were indeed reduced by a few cents per point.

Now during this thread I find out that if you need extra towels you would get charged?????? I think that is 100x worse than the soap. That makes ME angry. I'm not even going to mention that one to DH....he'll have a fit.

I'm not even going to mention that one to DH....he'll have a fit.

LOL! Sorry! You can always launder your towels if you like having a fresh one every day if you're in a 1 bedroom. If you're in a studio you can always filch towels from the pool. Of course, filching towels from the pool is a whole other thread ;).

PS....I don't think towels will be a problem anyway. I'm bringing 6 tablets of Wisk with us to do laundry. (Along with what they give us). So we plan on washing some items probably 2 or 3 times. Again it's not the point that I would need them....but if I did I would be very angry. Luckily DH won't find this out because like I said we'll be doing our laundry anyway. I'm pretty positive we won't have a towel shortage in our room! :D

Figaro30, It looks like you've found out how protective the people on this forum are, of their decision to be in the dvc. I posted a thread about house keeping and they were on me like white on bread. I understand exactly how you husband felt. It seems like once you've bought in, then the little things, that are so characteristic of disney, sort of go away.
I still think it is probably wise to be a member, if you go often for many years. Good luck and I hope you enjoy.

I guess I've just always had the attitude of "I'd rather pay an extra few bucks at the start and not have to pay for little extra things later."

i.e.,:

Like the time we spent 240.00 a night at the B.C. and was told if you wanted to use a tube to float around the pool it would be $3.00. Well then they should make the cost $243.00 a night. NO?

or how about the reverse?

It would be like airlines lowering their fares by a few dollars to make people happier then charging you for meals and that little bag of peanuts!

or

Like car dealers who charge extra for the darn car mats. Can't they just add another $40.00 to the price of the car so you feel like you are getting them for free? Instead they don't do it that way and charge you extra for things like car mats and cigarette lighters! I think that is just ridiculous.

Honestly I don't understand anybody that doesn't understand this.

But don't worry 10drum....this is not about to have me sell. I've never been yet but I have very good feelings about my new ownership of my DVC. We're planning on keeping this hopefully for a very very very long time. :smooth:

I don't think the toiletry limits are a big deal. As long as DVC continues to keep the annual dues increases as small as they have, I'm not complaining. :)

I would like to know what the "official" towel count is supposed to be in a 1BR at DVC. The last time we were there we had four hand towels in the 1BR(BWV and VWL), but the trip before at OKW there were only two hand towels. When I called to replace the two "missing" towels, housekeeping told me that two hand towels were standard in the one BR. It's no big deal when you have a washer/dryer in the unit, but I wish they were consistent among the DVC properties. :D

I don't mind one supply of shampoo and stuff. The stuff is never that good, so we bring our own and donate the samples to our church for a homeless shelter!

Does everyone really need all that extra fluff?

I'd rather have better accomodations........

In a way the toiletries and towels issue is petty but it certainly does impact dues. How much, I don't know but would guess we're talking about $5-10 per member per year at least. The problem is beyond just the reasonable use of soap and an extra towel or 2. You're talking extra personel to tool around the resort delivering these extra items, extra towels to purchase and launder in addition to the direct cost of the extra soaps, etc.

I was once told of a lady that called and asked for 12 each extra of all of the items. They delivered them and at that time she said thanks, I'm going to use these for Christmas presents. The only real issue I have is with the studios for those that have a full 4 people and no W/D. I think it's reasonable to have one or 2 extra towels when there's no Laundry in the unit. Unfortunately many use the pool towels which is far more expensive in the long run because it costs far more to launder those or so DVC says.

10drum states:
It seems like once you've bought in, then the little things, that are so characteristic of disney, sort of go away.

Except in this case, these issues are made known BEFORE you have "bought in"- so there is really nothing to "go away", they aren't there from the start. All of these "little things" are in the member's guidebook- including the towel issue.

If things like extra soaps, towels, housekeeping and lotions are important to you, they are available. Many people don't seem to understand the "Home-Away-From-Home" (Timeshare) concept and still expect the DVC resorts to behave like a hotel.

The question is just how importatnt these petty issues become. If your vacation will be improved by the presence of these extras, then by all means don't deny yourself the pleasure. A quick call to housekeeping will provide any of these things.

I have always found that the amount of soap furnished to be ample. As far as the shampoo goes, it seems to be watered down and really does not do a good job. I just leave it. The lotion also seemed to be watered down. I always carry that stuff with me when I travel anyway. The towels are not a problem, they can get washed when doing regular laundry. As has been mentioned in some of the above posts, some members took advantage, which makes it bad for the rest.

The only thing about your concept of 'pay a few more bucks up front, not have to worry about it later', and your example of the inner tube at the beach club is this: there are a gazillion *tiny* little expenses like that - how do you decide *which* ones to include in the purchase price, and which ones to let people pick and choose how to spend their money? For instance, someone without kids would probably never have any need or call to use the inner tube, and would not want their room rate raised because of it. If it's something that everyone, or just about everyone, is going to need and use, then that argument makes more sense.

I have to agree with you that YES, showing up and having all of this stuff just there, and having it replenished automatically, without having to think about it, would be nice, like a warm and fuzzy. But is that teenie, tiny warm and fuzzy worth raising everyone's dues??? .... mmmmm, not really, in my opinion. I am happy to bring my own soaps, etc, and have our dues stay as low as they can.

I don't know, I can understand both sides of the argument: magic is a very important component to a Disney World vacation. But there is STILL *SO* much magic in a DVC vacation, that I think the few granules of pixie dust you might get from having free unlimited soaps sort of drops off the meter. Like someone said earlier, the buy in price does NOT cover this type of stuff, so the $11,000 has nothing to do with the cost of soap in a room.

Figaro,
I am sure if your husband reads further he will see the cost for "pay as you go" for towels.
also, there is no lotion and has not been for years.

You obviously don't know my husband or else you would know that I can guarantee in the next 40 years or so of us owning this...he will NEVER pick up the book and read about it. I love my husband to death....but he doesn't get involved with stuff like this. I don't even think he knows the name of the company we pay our regular house mortgage to. :eek: (we've only been there six years)

LOL, typical of a lot of men. :) I misread your original post, I reread it and no understand that you were reading the "book" not him. Sorry about that.

HEY GAIL....what's with the men bashing? :eek:

My DW looked at the new guide book and faithfully studied every page...unless there were no pictures! ;)

PS. This was meant in jest....PLEASE don't anyone start a sexism thread.

The shampoo is NOT for your personal use. It's to put into the filter at the kiddie pool. When you see the smiles on the kids faces you will know just how much fun was packed into that little container, LOL That's why you only get 1; nobody should be able to have more fun than that on any given day. ;) ;) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter