One thing I saw in our new DVC member book that cracked my DH up!!!

Figaro30

Proud to be an American
My husband got really annoyed at this:

I was reading about what they supply in your room. I noticed they give you a start up supply of 1 shampoo 1 soap and 1 lotion (I think?) Anyway if you wanted more of these items you would have to pay $3.00 for each set you requested. My husband said "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"

He got so mad that we just spent $11,000 on this and we'd have to pay to get these items. Unlike if you were at a resort you would get them everyday if needed.

Just thought I'd pass this along. Would like some comments on this.

This has been the standard for a long time. They are replenished on trash/towel, or cleaning day. With the "home away from home" concept we always pack our own shampoo, soap etc. anyway.

just ask one of the maids you see in the hallways...they will give it to you for free...:) :) :) :)

I hate those little bottles and bring my own anyway. With 4 of us that 1 little shampoo wouldn't go very far.

Figaro30...

It does seem a little tight on DVC's part.

On the other hand, you might get your DH to come off the ceiling a little if you tell him that this will no doubt help keep our annual maintainence expenses down. Sometimes you have to really look hard to find a glimmer of a silver lining! :sunny:

I wish they would give more soap and not give the shampoo or lotion at all. The shampoo does horrible things to my hair so I never use it. I always take my own shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Just like at a hotel or another "home away from home." But I never take soap to a hotel, any hotel, they always provide soap. Say you're staying in a one bedroom unit - you need soap at each bathroom sink, the shower and the tub. We use them all, so that's 4 bars of soap needed. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's not like they're full size bars!

I hate the shampoo, I hate the lotion, I hate the soap. I bring my own.

WE have the inconsiderate ones to thank for this. A couple years ago they said too many people were requesting multiple soaps, etc. to use as stocking stuffers! How silly is that! I like the soap, but don't use the shampoo. We always bring ours from home no matter where we are traveling. So many chains are now only giving it to those who ask, so it is somewhat of an industry wide thing.

Okay, I'd gladly give up the Shampoo, the Soap, and the Lotion if they would just give us more laundry soap!!!:bounce:

figaro30 wrote:
He got so mad that we just spent $11,000 on this and we'd have to pay to get these items.
The point is that the shampoo, soap, lotion -- and all other operating expenses, for that matter -- aren't paid out the purchase price; these expenses are paid for by the DVC members through our annual fees.

I'm glad we're no longer subsidizing those members who did their souvenir "shopping" by demanding extra shampoos and soaps from housekeeping. In addition to the cost of the items, there's the labor cost of having housekeepers deliver these souvenirs.

We've never run out of shampoo, soap, or lotion while staying ot OKW.

FYI,
We no longer get lotion, just soap and shampoo. I always bring my own shampoo and soap because I need it. They don't provide Dove and that is what I use.
In a one bedroom they have two bars in the bathroom and two bars in the jacuzzi room. Seems to be plenty for the normal 4 to a one bedroom rule.

I think we all knew when we signed on the dotted line that we were buying a home away from home resort and that we would get a startup supply of some items and that we would have to bring our own stuff to use beyond a day or two, Why are you getting bent out of shape because you don't get a tiny bar of soap or as many as you want, as others people have stated some people abused the system which then required changes, get over it there are more important things in life to worry about.

And if you're not happy about it, then I'd suggest selling ASAP.

I chuckled when I saw that the list still included a mixer in the kitchen!!! Guess their editors missed that. Also, I could not believe that with the towels in a 1 bedroom (for 4 people) you get 4 bathtowels, 4 bathmats--but only 2 handtowels and 2 washcloths!!!! What's with that???? We need more than 2 washcloths and hand towels--definitely don't need 4 bathmats. I think we used to get 4 of everything--but I noticed when we were there in July, that we only had the two washcloths and handtowels. How ridiculous!!!!! Give me a break!!

Actually after being in our room for a few of the 14 that we'll be there, all that lotion, soap, shampoo gets on my nerves(takes up valuable vanity space!). I just keep stacking it up, since we don't use it. I can't imagine really wanting to use a different shampoo (usually doesn't work out very well for your hair), and I like the liquid bath soap. I'm glad that they don't provide these every day.

I look at DVC as our vacation home. If we went up to a cabin on the lake, for instance, we'd have to bring everything. I figure we're ahead of the game that they supply what they do!

We stayed at OKW this year for 12 nights. We were in a 2BR unit with five people. We started off with one soap, lotion, and shampoo in each bathroom. On our first trash-and-tidy day, the maid didn't leave us any additional supplies. We finally tracked down someone from housekeeping and got another shampoo, but I was shocked at how DVC is cutting back on supplies. Since I am paying for this with my dues, I'm not complaining. I was just surprised. Next year I'll pack my Hawaiian shampoo and soap and not worry about it.

I was just there and I received 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels, 4 face clothes and 2 bath mats in the one bedroom. Also 4 bars of soap (two for the sinks and one each for the shower and the tub).
I have yet to receive less than the above mentioned items on any visit.

Doesn't everyone have a Sam's Wholesale or Costco where they live? It's pennies we're talking here to bring your own.

BraveMom3---I totally agree with you. I have a supply of shampoo, soap, lotion etc at home because we never use it (I bring my own) and my DD's like to play with it in the tub at home.

It takes up too much space on the vanity!!! With all my haircare products, various degrees of sunblock, medical supplies, pony tail holders for DD's, etc. I need more counter space!!! Plus, I find that since I don't use the soap, if I don't put it in a suitcase right away it gets all wet and the package gross!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter