OMG! I am OBSESSED with DisBoards! Ahh - Support Group needed...

Hey bless7ings!

I'll be honest. We have gone into debt to go to Disney before. We just work after that to pay it off.

Hopefully since you posted this here we wont get flamed too bad :hippie:

As much as I love my fellow Disers, it's my life and I know what works best for my family and what we can and cannot do.

Don't know what to tell you other than you know the same thing (what works best) with your family!

Good luck with your decision!

For us, Disney has never caused us to go in debt. Mostly because we pay everything in advance-airfare, tickets, accomodations, etc. We plan our trips far in advance, so we have plenty of time to space out those financial hits. The only thing that isn't paid for in advance is dining (because we don't like the dining plan), souvenirs and our car rental. But we take that into account and are always setting aside money prior to the trip for that purpose.

Now if we travel anywhere else aside from Disney, then yes, we do bit the bullet and charge most times. But we do that with the understanding that we'll be paying it off for months to come and that means no other extras during that time.

Hi Grendalynn and others,

I haven't been on much lately either. Off and on, but not tons. And we have planned a Disney trip!:lovestruc Well the truth is we planned during free dining and had to table it till school was out so I could concentrate on schooling our kids and not being on disboards every spare moment!:laughing:

I was hoping some you could be honest with me and tell me what you think. Right Disney addicts!:rotfl2: We try to stay out of debt, so Grendalynns post caught my attention. We planned this when free dining came up and figured we would have time to decide if we changed our minds. Well a lots happened with the economy since. My husband came home one day and said they are predicting oil to be $7/gal next year. I said what, I am not paying that!:furious: This was all when the oil was about $3.50/gal and we know it has climbed! Well we talked. My husband wanted wood stove when we built our house over 20 years ago. By the way we live in Maine. We have survived the Ice Storm and other electrical outages!:banana: But if we do lose power we have no heat!:worried: That means frozen pipes too! So when he said $7/gal I said no way am I paying that! We can't afford too! The economy has gone up and up and his pay hasn't risen with the economy for years! And now this past year, his pay won't even come close to rectifying! But things are still comfortable right now.(not lots of extra, but comfortable - we don't splurge on a lot of extras that most people do - As I've told some I would rather splurge and go on vacation! My husband would rather have the blow money all the time when he feels like it then saving it for a big trip.) So any ways when we planned this trip it gets rather expensive with our large family! The amount is scary to me!!! But I justified it and said it will be paid for with $ and the back into the economy $(isn't that what we are supposed to do put it back into Disney, I mean the economy!:thumbsup2 ) Well anyways if we put a wood stove in we need to put a chimney in and lets just say I have good taste so it's not cheap for the chimney and woodstove.:eek: I have a dilema, now our trip is not paid for!(because we like to stay out of debt.) I just wondering what you all thought of this? I was wondering, I walk tenderly asking this board, but can we justify going to Disney and going into debt? I am almost afraid to push the send button, but I want to know what people think with Disney and the economy and staying out of debt?

btw we have always wanted a woodstove it was just the cost and we have another equally good reason for wanting one we don't like being dependent on the economy this seem like the most self sufficient way we can think of(without electricity and remember we live in Maine - the wood state! We would be cutting and splitting our own - $100/cord we already have a truck load coming, we just got to decide if we can do both? - Cold feet about Disney what's this world coming to!!)

So, heres a question? Have you figured out how much you will be saving by buying the wood stove? In other words, if you save $200 month in heating costs and the stove costs $5,000 (I have no idea what they really cost), it will pay for itself in 2 years - a pretty good return on your money. You may want to think about that first before deciding whether to buy.

Secondly, if you go in debt to cruise, will you be able to enjoy yourself?

Lastly, you could do it this way - Use your cash to pay for your cruise. Put the stove on an equity line and slowly pay the equity line back with your monthly energy savings.

Hope that helps!

Jodie

Jodie,

I'm not sure what we would save, but quickly figuring in my head I would say $100/month would be our savings. And we were planning on doing exactly what you said. Paying cash for the trip and using home equity line for the wood stove. For that matter we can look at it many ways. We have rental income monthly(which is not used for our base expenses but extras, so we could put that towards it as it came in), we also have some other sources and overtime in the winter it just means it wouldn't be paid for before, but afterwards. I think we are going to do it, it just kills me to pay any interest and not have everything already lined up and saved for. What happened was we planned for the Disney trip. That would take all our money, and then we entertained the idea of trying to be prepared for next winter with the rise of oil. We just can't afford both at the same time.

Jodie,

I'm not sure what we would save, but quickly figuring in my head I would say $100/month would be our savings. And we were planning on doing exactly what you said. Paying cash for the trip and using home equity line for the wood stove. For that matter we can look at it many ways. We have rental income monthly(which is not used for our base expenses but extras, so we could put that towards it as it came in), we also have some other sources and overtime in the winter it just means it wouldn't be paid for before, but afterwards. I think we are going to do it, it just kills me to pay any interest and not have everything already lined up and saved for. What happened was we planned for the Disney trip. That would take all our money, and then we entertained the idea of trying to be prepared for next winter with the rise of oil. We just can't afford both at the same time.

I understand. I hate debt too! I'm wondering if you could switch stateroom categories (cat 12 maybe) to reduce costs???

It seems that theres always SOMETHING that uses up the vacation money!!

Jodie

We are not going on a cruise. We are going to Disney. We are going with my parents and are staying at the Beach Club w/ free dining. My mother does not want to stay in moderates or budget. We have already stayed at Wilderness Lodge and wanted to stay at Beach Club last time, but didn't because of money. At this point, we would loose free dining if we changed, so it is less to stay with what we have or drop the whole thing.

But actually this is nice for us because it is not much more than $1000 for us by them paying for one room at the Beach Club vs us paying for 2 rooms at budget! So it is a huge upgrade for us and something we wouldn't have been able to afford with as many kids as we have until probably we get down to one bedroom. So that I am ecstatic about! The next trip will be in probably 3 years and will be just our family(with less kids) and in budget.::yes:: As I think I stated before I think this is the last family trip with all the kids. That and a few other reasons I think I am willing to compromise. My husband has said I think you will regret it if we don't go. I think he is right.

But these boards are filling with a pelthera of information. Budgeting tips to tips info so it is hard to stay away.

Hello fellow Disers!! Whats new out there?? Everyone finally on Summer Vacation? My kids had their last day today - was supposed to be last Tuesday, but we had so much stinkin snow this winter - it pushed us back a week! I am not actually done til after july 1, but its not that far away!! :thumbsup2

I am looking forward to august; when the new rates come out so that I can start virtual-planning!!! I dont think we will go again til 2010, but its something ((ANYTHING)) Disney to look forward to!! Now that school is out and my schedule is lighter, that means I can spend more time on the Dis!! Early mornings (or late) with my cup of coffee, in my PJs infront of this darned laptop!! Avoiding life, laundry, cleaning the house.. and oh, the kids!! :rotfl2: I love summer!! :surfweb: I think all of those things made me start this thread a while ago - I will have to look into the date on that... It was February vacation actually, never the less, i know I probably spent every day on the 'puter! :lovestruc :thumbsup2

We are not going on a cruise. We are going to Disney. We are going with my parents and are staying at the Beach Club w/ free dining. My mother does not want to stay in moderates or budget. We have already stayed at Wilderness Lodge and wanted to stay at Beach Club last time, but didn't because of money. At this point, we would loose free dining if we changed, so it is less to stay with what we have or drop the whole thing.

But actually this is nice for us because it is not much more than $1000 for us by them paying for one room at the Beach Club vs us paying for 2 rooms at budget! So it is a huge upgrade for us and something we wouldn't have been able to afford with as many kids as we have until probably we get down to one bedroom. So that I am ecstatic about! The next trip will be in probably 3 years and will be just our family(with less kids) and in budget.::yes:: As I think I stated before I think this is the last family trip with all the kids. That and a few other reasons I think I am willing to compromise. My husband has said I think you will regret it if we don't go. I think he is right.

You probably already knew this, but you can purchase (rent/trade) points from a DVC member to book Beach Club. Using points (usually you pay around $10-$11 point), its MUCH cheaper than if you pay cash through WDW - when I've looked, you end up spending about half of the normal cash price. There is a section on these Disboards for those wanting to rent/trade.

Jodie

Jodie,

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I knew that, but I think last time I crunched numbers it wasn't cheaper at those prices then going during free dining. Am I wrong? The DVC don't get free dining, correct?

Tammy

Jodie,

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I knew that, but I think last time I crunched numbers it wasn't cheaper at those prices then going during free dining. Am I wrong? The DVC don't get free dining, correct?

Tammy

You know, I've never looked into the free dining since we can't travel then, (its Septemberish right?) so you're probably right. If you like to eat out, I'm guessing the free dining can make a huge difference. I'm always SHOCKED at how much we spend on food AND we pack our own breakfast and lunch. We only eat out for dinners. Its paying for my 10 year old at an adult rate that I hate! I think next trip we'll use our kitchen more.

Jodie

Jodie,

Tammy

No, you don't get free dining when staying through DVC. You have to purchase it as an extra.

How is everyone? I've been in full blown Disney mode due to having just made all our ADR's for our October and December trips, so now I have the itch bad. I can't believe this thread has been going nearly a year and a half...look what you started Grendalynn! :rotfl: The boards have been keeping me going over this horrible holiday weekend. All it has done is rain here at the Jersey Shore-hardly BBQ weather. Hope everyone else had a nice weekend! :goodvibes

How is everyone? I've been in full blown Disney mode due to having just made all our ADR's for our October and December trips, so now I have the itch bad. I can't believe this thread has been going nearly a year and a half...look what you started Grendalynn! :rotfl: The boards have been keeping me going over this horrible holiday weekend. All it has done is rain here at the Jersey Shore-hardly BBQ weather. Hope everyone else had a nice weekend! :goodvibes

Hey! So what ADRs did you make?

We had a good weekend weather wise. Not too hot (well for the south it's not anyway!)

DH is waffling on our trip for next year (sigh). I understand money is tight, but still :guilty: He hasnt outright dismissed the trip though so I'm holding out hope! Guess I'll be spending some time on the budget board!

YUP! I'm an addict too. I just started on here a couple days ago and i'm checking multiple times a day!

Hey! So what ADRs did you make?

For October here is what we have (all dinners):

Kona
Artist Point
Boma
California Grill
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Narcoosees
Chef Mickey's
Tutto Italia
LeCellier
and two Saturday nights we will be attending Party For The Senses at Epcot

In December we are part of a Grand Gathering. Here's what's on the agenda:

California Grill
Citrico's Chef's Domain (grand gathering)
AK Sunset Safari w/dinner at Jiko (grand gathering)
Illuminations Dinner (grand gathering)
Boma
Artist Point
Coral Reef
Rose & Crown
Kona

We had a good weekend weather wise. Not too hot (well for the south it's not anyway!)

DH is waffling on our trip for next year (sigh). I understand money is tight, but still :guilty: He hasnt outright dismissed the trip though so I'm holding out hope! Guess I'll be spending some time on the budget board!

I'm over there on the budget board too...gotta conserve where you can!

Jodie and anyone else following the do you get into debt to go to Disney and buying a woodstove....my husband decided not to buy a wood stove. So our tax refund and stimulus should pretty much cover our vacation. Yeah!! I couldn't stand the thought of not having the enough money for both. My husband gets overtime in the winter time, so that will pay for high oil costs.:headache: But least we can pay for it.

Keep moving forward, we have a grand gathering for the last week of August and are doing the Safari ride and dinner, but I thought the dinner was at the converted rest. in AK, I can't think of the name right now? Is yours a different one?

Keep moving forward, we have a grand gathering for the last week of August and are doing the Safari ride and dinner, but I thought the dinner was at the converted rest. in AK, I can't think of the name right now? Is yours a different one?

You can customize anything with the grand gathering. No, we aren't doing dinner at Tusker House, but we're paying a heck of a lot more for it to be at Jiko as a result. You have to ask otherwise they won't offer you any options and it also depends how large your party size is. We're doing ours two days before Christmas. We also made the Citrico's Chef's Domain a GG event and that is one we customized as well for our group and not something they have on their offerings.

Jodie and anyone else following the do you get into debt to go to Disney and buying a woodstove....my husband decided not to buy a wood stove. So our tax refund and stimulus should pretty much cover our vacation. Yeah!! I couldn't stand the thought of not having the enough money for both. My husband gets overtime in the winter time, so that will pay for high oil costs.:headache: But least we can pay for it.

Yippee!! I know thats a relief.

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter