Okay, someone talk me into the pop up

BibbidyBobbidyBoo

<font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
LOL
I don't know where else to ask this to get a good response from other campers- including those that have used or currently use pop up campers.

Here's the situation in a nutshell- we need something to camp in with our family of 5 (including 3 young children down to the age of 2) and all we have are tents right now. Well this camping will be in TEXAS in the summer- and I wouldn't wish that kind of 100+ degree torment on anyone, much less my children and myself. LOL It will also be on other trips, including the next trip (after this one already planned to stay at a resort) to WDW- which is also probably going to be hot, humid, raining during middays, etc. depending on when we go!

So we have been considering getting something else. We've been doing a lot of looking online, in papers and RV traders/etc and yesterday spent the day going everywhere looking.

The deal is that we can afford a pop up RIGHT NOW- no problems at all- that will barely fit us in there- but ofcourse it's not really a WHOLE lot different than a tent - atleast the ones we've seen that we could purchase with cash right now? The only differences I can see is a/c (which might or might not work well- ofcourse they aren't on when we look at them but we'd have to check that out before purchasing), off the ground, and having a tiny table inside.... okay the stove too but when we camp we usually either eat out or cook on the grill. I don't do a lot of cooking AT ALL when we are camping out. LOL That's not relaxing to me.....

OR
We could get a reasonably priced older model motorhome -or some really nice big pull travel trailers -but we'd really have to scrape up enough money to buy those and then be hurting financially atleast for a few months. I'm not really sold on motorhomes since I haven't found one in our price range that I like the arrangements (mostly the sleeping arrangements) and don't like the fact that if it breaks down- your "camping" arrangements are GONE unless you fix it- with a pull trailer you don't have that worry. No matter what happens to your vehicle you use to tow it- it's still usable with another vehicle. Yanno? And ofcourse I found one at a really good price that I'm in love with. LOL I love everything about it and it has bunks for the kids and queen for us PLUS sleep sofa and booth table situation that changes to bed also- so plenty of sleeping space even for additional people other than just our immediate family. It's a newer model also (other than the older model motorhomes we'd have to go with to be able to afford it) and well- I won't go on and on about it but it's just PERFECT. Love everything about it.

But it would be hard to buy that right now and put us in a financial strain for awhile. We would probably have to give up some assets to even be able to pay for it cash right now (financing is not an option- we're not even going to think about going that route right now).

So someone tell me everything about how wonderful pop ups are so I can talk myself into getting that instead. LOL Please!

:) Hi we have had both tent and a pop up camper.We love our popup,Yes we have ac and have camped at the fort in it in july and stayed cool.:bounce: :bounce: My only suggestion would be get the biggest one you can afford and if you hook up with a slide out dineing room that also would be nicer! Check e-bay and other options before you settle in on a dealer only as their prices vary as much as a car lot.One more thing can you say porta potty !!!!!!! And A.C.We also do much of our cooking outside because i like too!but have cooked inside when it rains.Good luck no matter what you decide.:earsboy:

Sorry, Bibiddy, but I think if you LOVE the TT, get it. You'll be kickin' yourself the day it rains, when the kids get a bit larger and don't all fit on the one bed, the hassle of getting that curtain around the potty when the chil'ens find out about modesty, etc.. Don't talk yourself into something you don't want.

Home equity rates are at an all time low right now. I know, I know, I'm a cash girl, too, BUT at 4 % and the tax break come 4/04, it can be a good deal. Put the cash you want to spend down, finance the rest.

My DH bought a TT as a surprise (not an expenditure we usually do without the other), and I now enjoy it immensely. We use it everywhere we go, and we go frequently.

Whichever you decide, I wish you a peaceful nights' sleep after the purchase!! ;)

LOL
Thanks for the help, house of princesses... I think. LOL
I know what you mean- about kicking yourself if you don't get it. But then sometimes I kick myself if I DO get something- no matter how much thought I put into it. So far a lot of our purchases have been that way through the years- thankfully this last mini-van purchase was one of the good ones that even 3yrs later I'm still in love with it. ;)

The best pop up for the best price we've found so far- I don't really think it even HAD a little potty in it. I might be remembering wrong though- we looked at so many things yesterday all day long! LOL And a potty is definitely needed RIGHT THERE (no going somewhere else for a potty)-atleast for right now with a 2yr old potty training and a 5yr old that still sometimes can't hold it for a long time (haven't really tried though- we just hurry to get him there so accidents don't happen. LOL)

I tell ya what though- I'd be a lot more willing to go camping as a family (as opposed to DH just going with one of the older children or both the older children) if we had the pop up rather than tents but with the TT- I'd probably be the one saying let's go camping constantly. LOL Plus DH wants to do the deer hunting thing and although I and the kids wouldn't be hunting, we'd be more willing to go along on the trips with the popup..... and even more willing with the TT. LOL

We simply can't do the financing thing right now- long story but trust me we wouldn't get the "approved credit" to get a good % rates. Had some hard times a few years ago when DH was laid off at his job of over 10yrs. But it's okay- his job he's had for almost 4yrs now is even better- but we're still scrambling to catch up and there's a voluntary repossession on our records also from back then. (it was either give that vehicle back or lose our house- which wasn't a hard decision LOL). So that option is really out. The place with the TT doesn't do financing anyway- you have to get your own so it would be impossible for us at a bank. The place with the pop up does- but we could buy that outright anyway. LOL

There's just so much I love about the TT- including the fact they make sure every single thing is in top-notch working order and show you before you buy it- the place with the popup and other TT's we looked at and even motorhomes- are sold as is. If something isn't working- oh well. That's why I was hoping to hear tons of good things about the pop ups so I could squash this love affair (LOL) I have with that TT.
*sigh*
LOL

We had a popup for 5 years and made 4 trips to FW in it and I loved it. When DH started talking about buying a motorhome, I fought it tooth and nail. I kept saying, "I like the popup, it's fine for camping". Well, he won and we bought a motorhome, which I love because for a family of 5 it definately gives us more room (especially when the weather is bad). Anyway, I would say that the popup would be fine for now with small kids, but you'll quickly outgrow it. If you can swing it, I'd go with the TT.

Good luck on your decision!

Thank you also for your post.
Yes, the pop up would be "doable" for now- but you are right as these kids grow (and they do grow fast! LOL) we would outgrow it quickly I'm sure. They are still at the smaller size/easily share beds/etc. But that won't last much longer as my oldest two are 9 and 5.5yrs old. Teen years for the oldest is not THAT far away. LOL
(ooh, I hate reminding myself of that) :)

I reply again with hesitation. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to push the financing, however.... If you have equity in your home, your mortgage lender may just loan you the money. You'd be surprised! It may be worth the question.

Just something to think about. :D

A key factor that has not yet been raised it what are you going to use to tow an RV of some sort with?

Looking at the current tow vehicle you have may be part of the decision. In most cases a "mom-mobile (read mini van) is not suited to towing anything much larger than a pop up.

Even something a large as a pick up unless properly equipped with things such as over-sized cooling system (remember you are in Texas), transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator, correct rear end gearing... (you get the picture) may be limited in its towing capacity. The general rule of thumb is to stay below 75% of your rated tow capacity.

Right now, get out your vehicle owners manual and calculate what the manufacturer says you can tow. Double check your manual, but also note that those ratings are based on an empty tow vehicle with a single 150 pound driver. For every pound you put in the tow vehicle (you do want to bring all 3 kids, right?) it is a pound of towing capacity that goes away.

My web site below is dedicated to pop up camping and I invite you to look around. Pay particular attention to the pages on hitches & towing information as well as sway information.

Good luck in your search, but just remember when buying the TT you love make sure you can tow it safely.

Ditto everything House_of_princesses said plus keep in mind that if for some reason you really find that you can't swing it or that you don't love it as much as you want....you can always sell it. They really don't depreciate much in value.

We bought one of those hard sided trailers with the canvas beds on the end that you pull down. We ended up trading up for a TT with the bunk beds and queen bed and I am so glad that we did! I hated having to deal with pulling the beds down and popping up the canvas and setting up the beds. And everytime it rained or was humid out, the inside of the canvas was soaked! I love not having to set anything up or make any beds when we pull into our camp site.....it's already done! And now when it pours out we don't get a drop of rain inside!

Just something else to consider but others we camp with claim that it feels like sleeping in a box and they MUCH rather sleep under canvas when camping. To each his own!

Okay the sleeping in a box cracks me up- what's a house then? Just a larger box? LOL

Thanks for all your posts! I really appreciate them- even if I don't respond to every one and every comment within them. :)

As for the towing thing- we're fine. DH has a Chevy 1-ton crew cab. It will pull a LOT. I do have a minivan- but there's no way it could pull anything more than our boat or a light pop up I'm sure. The only problem with that is that the clutch acts like it's going out when he makes longer trips- so we'd be limited to using the TT for short trips until we either fix some things on the truck (he also wants a new engine- but we'd be doing that soon regardless if we got any RV at all) or get another truck.... and only then could we make long trips (ie: to other states to visit relatives or WDW/etc.)

He has all those things you mentioned- he's hauled a lot of stuff with this truck before also (bigger boat, a TT that was borrowed over a year ago, etc.) so we know he could pull it. The only thing he doesn't want to get is a 5th wheel- because he just doesn't. I don't know why. LOL

I will check out your site- thanks!

house of princesses- still not an option. Sorry. Unfortunately (atleast in THIS situation) we do not have equity in a home we own because we recently sold our home to get out of it (it was a manufactured home 5yrs old and those don't gain equity- they lost value like a darn vehicle does! LOL) before we were "upside down" in it and now we are in a nicer brick home- but we've only been here since Nov- ie: no equity to speak of for awhile yet. :(

That's interesting to note- I didn't know they didn't depreciate in value much. I figured they were like vehicles and did depreciate quite a bit through the years?

Thank you- I will do that. I've also been doing some reading on irv2.com that I saw a link from SOMEONE on this board. LOL I'll definitely go read those also. :)

We have a pop-up, and I would LOVE to upgrade to a TT, but that's probably not going to happen. However, a few things just to reassure you:

1. I am not an "outdoors" person and did not want to camp at all, but once we started, I loved it - as long as I have air conditioning and a porta-potty! (The porta-potty does not come with the pop-up - we bought it separately, and it has been a life saver!) Definitely get an air conditioner!

2. Our kids are 17, 14, and 12 and they have no problems sleeping all on the same bed in the pop-up (ours is one of the bigger sizes, though). (The two oldest are 6'2" and 5"11.)

3. Yes, it's a pain to set up and take down, but it does get easier with practice.

4. My advice, go with what you can afford right now, and upgrade later. Your kids are still young enough right now that a pop-up will be fine!

As far as growing out of a pop-up, we have 3 boys ages 18, 15, and 12 and have plenty of room (and a 85lb dog). We bought our pop-up used over 3 years ago with AC and have had no problems with the AC, and we live in Florida, just like Texas the AC is running often. We paid cash and it fits in our garage, no debt here.

Now as for rain...it keeps us dry even heavy rains but is a pain to put up and down in pouring rain, which happens often. So that's one thing to consider.

The previously pop-up message boards that someone posted are a great place to read and learn and ask questions. IRV2 has more than just pop-up message boards, so might be the place for you.

Have you considered a new or used hybrid? From the description of your truck you have enough vehicle to tow it, and you have the covieniences of a full travel trailer. We love our Jayco Kiwi. I tow mine with a Ford F150 Supercrew - more than enough vehicle. As hybrids go, ours is pretty heavy, around 5000 lbs, but it tows like a wonder. You can see it here:
The Smith Family Camper

Jerry

I agree! We just upgraded from a popup to a hybrid for just a couple thousand more $. I was the best move we ever made! My family loves it! We bought a "used" 2003! I would really recommend checking into hybrids! They are larger inside than a TT. In fact friends of ours like ours so much they traded their TT in for a new Kiwi!

UGH. I'm still so undecided. We have looked and looked- all over, online, in papers, RV trader, you name it- and I thought I had come to the decision that the only one I truly really like the most and wouldn't "mind" spending the money on is the TT. We worked out a good bargain (atleast from what I can see from NADA value and others I have found that are 1997's while this one is a 2000- were more expensive than this one- way more).

But then before going over there to put some $$ down and pay the rest on Thursday- I decided to check out a lot just down the street that also stores RVs (it would either need to be stored there or at a friend's house that lives out in the country and has land- our previous neighbors) and UGH UGH UGH.

Now I have even more decisions.
The TT that I really love(d?) the most was a 2000 Nomad 26'- they'll make sure everything is working and show me before we get it. Price including TTL AND equalizer hitch is $9270

At the other lot- two different ones I also liked:
Smaller TT (about 22'- or maybe 21- they'd just got it in on trade yesterday and he just measured by walking at the moment) is a brand I can't remember at the moment- 1993 and the sleeping arrangements are "different" but really the only difference is the other one has 2 bunks in one corner- this one has a bunk that pulls down over the couch. Has everything- battery, a/c, heater, microwave, stove, big fridge and also freezer, shower (but no tub like the bigger one has) and potty (but it's like up inside the shower- kinda walk in the shower past the shower part- I'm sure you know what I mean), electric jack in front, etc. It seemed very nice for a 93- mostly looks new- only if you look really hard do you see that it's older.
This one is $5000 plus TTL -UNLESS they find something major wrong with it and they'll sell it with everything fixed/replaced if necessary and in working order also- but the price might go up depending on what they have to replace. They are going to check it all tomorrow but I can only find out right before closing if there was anything that needs to be fixed because they said it takes awhile on the fridge/freezer???

So that's a lot cheaper- and would serve our needs for a long time too.

Then he showed me a pop up camper- and I was already thinking I would not like it because of the ones I'd seen before. But this one was a 2001 Camplite (I think that's what it is? Maybe it was coleman.... coleman camplite?) Anyway,it looks BRAND new inside and out- it has a slide out and get this..... BUNK BEDS! It still has the beds on the ends that pop out- and the slide out table/booth that turns into a bed- but also bunk beds across from that- that can also be somehow finagled to make one big bed there. LOL But my kids love bunk beds- atleast now they do. It was way roomier also- totally not what I expected. It's $6450 plus TTL -but the only thing is the stove that is supposed to be inside but able to put on the outside- it's missing. They said they would replace it or knock off $250 for us to get one ourselves. I'd prefer they get it. Problem with that is that we'd like to camp out this weekend since DH has 4 days off- and they weren't sure they could get a stove in it to drive off the lot- by then. Depends on how hard it is for them to get it that quick?

But in any case, it's more than the '93 TT.... but it's also still thousands less than the bigger 2000 TT. The only thing I don't like about this camper- is that it has no potty/shower (ofcourse! How could it unless it was a hybrid? LOL Which I also looked at btw- but it was already pending sale- I just looked to see what it was like). That could be a big issue with us.... considering we have a potty training 2yr old and honestly my 5yr old can't hold it forever either (if we were far from a comfort station or something). I also don't like the idea of always having to go to the comfort station or SOMEWHERE to clean up/shower/potty. Where I would put a porta-potty... I have no idea. And are those disgusting to deal with? Plus I'm not sure how much of a hassle all the popping out, sliding dining area out, putting bunks back up and all that would be.

So now when I thought I had my mind made up- I have THREE I like now- all different prices, different amenities- the one with the most and perfect- is larger but also more expensive (ofcourse). I really like the camper- but I can't get over the no shower/potty thing and we might not could even get it before camping out this next weekend. So I guess I'm SORTA leaning towards the smaller TT if everything is working and it doesn't cost any extra. Because saving right at $4000 while it still fits our needs is sounding pretty tempting. Although the larger one is a really great deal so even though it cost more- it's worth quite a bit more than we'd be paying for it.

Anyone have ANY comments or suggestions that maybe I haven't thought of yet that would help me make this decision? It's hard! LOL

Here is a forum to ask questions about different models. www.rv.net/forum/

These guys really know a lot about different trailer set-ups. We have a Prowler 727, I really like having the bunks for the kids. It is so nice to get somewhere and not have to make beds for everyone. Good luck with your decision.:)

I'm at the other end...:D

How much fun will you have when you are looking at rent/mortgage, truck repair, an unforseen dr bill (whatever) in two months and kicking your self over the TT?

We bought an OLD '79 pop-up, sleeps 8, 4 burner stove, fridge, lots of room, and are having a blast with our 7, 4, and potty-training two year old. We paid less than $1000 and I suppose you could add a/c.

As far as the hassle setting up, it only takes 15 minutes or so, and there are little jobs for the kids that make them feel an important part of it.

Its a big purchase, but not like a house...when finances improve, you could always "trade-up"

Currently staying at Lake Erie on the first leg of a two week trip...
The only thing bugging me is the pile of 5 baskets of clothes that I haven't figured out how to stash from veiw without complicating nap time, and WE WILL HAVE NAP TIME!!!!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter