Oh Sweet Mother of Bread Pudding...What have I got myself into? 9/26 Update!

Glad you are back and hope you guys had a good time but I'm sorry you have not been feeling well. Hopefully the meds will help.

Feel better soon! Rest up and we will all be waiting to hear the rest of your report. :hug:

I just found this thread and am so sorry to learn that you are not well. Get better soon, not a great way to follow up a great sounding trip (so far). Thank you so much for your entertaining writing, it's great reading. Can't wait till you're well and sharing with us again.

feel better!!! (only because my selfish self wants to read more of your posts!!)

No really though feel better soon!!!

Noticed your little green light on while catching up on your reports. Good to see you are feeling better and at least lurking ;)
The food all looks great so far! I have never thought of eating at the Swan & Dolphin but may have to give it a try. It all looks wonderful though my family may be more of a BBQ night crowd.
I don't know how you can live without a Krystal near you :scared1: We don't eat there super often but to not be able to run out and get a sack of 10...well being a good southern girl I will just have to think about that another day:rolleyes1
If you are ever in the Athens area you need to stop and eat at our Varsity:thumbsup2 (Not that silly one in Atlanta) Best chili dog and onion rings around! And the Frosted Orange is a must have.

I think I'd get the port too after all that, although I DO understand why you've resisted thus far.

Sorry to hear that you've been sick and sicker but I hope in spite of the 90 year old woman coughing and sinus crud you were able to have some fun in SC.

Looking forward to hearing more when you're up to it. :thumbsup2

I hope you're feeling better soon Dawn. :hug: Update us when you can, but take care of yourself first. I have plenty of Zofran left from my last hospital stay, so if you need any, let me know, plus I'm nearby! :thumbsup2 :rolleyes1 (kidding, of course)! Seriously, I'm here in the Twin Cities. If you need anything (from a complete stranger, I know) please let me know. It's no fun being sick. I've been through the wringer for the past 3 years myself and still going through it. A smiling, friendly face can always help a little! :goodvibes The offer is genuine, though!!

Looking forward to reading more when you are up to it! :surfweb:

Our first official day at WDW began with breakfast from The Bakery at MK. We had read of the recent addiction of someone here and the Cheese Danish served fresh. Dan and I did not consider us a Cheese Danish fan because I usually do not like any fillings in my doughnuts and he prefers a sweet custard if anything or fruit filling.

The thing about perusing the food review boards is that you get a chance to fall in love with others descriptions of gluttony and minus seafood, I am easily persuaded to give something a shot. :thumbsup2

We also got a bowl of mixed fruit and a ham/cheese croissant to share.

We had passed the alley/sidestreet outside of the crystal shop attached to the Bakery on our way in and knew we would be enjoying breakfast here, listening to the birds, appreciating the floral display on the trees and surrendering our senses to our meal, instead of the crazy rushing inside the bakery itself.

I think that food is only enhanced or detracted from the atmosphere in which you enjoy your dining. I am known to eat in the kitchen, standing up at the stove, shoveling food in fast from my plate, while doing dishes, baking a cake or anything else besides relaxing. It is a bad habit started when I did daycare and feeding 12 kids meant no room for yourself at the table on top of the fact, you had to always be running them napkins, refills on drinks, grabbing a rag to wipe up spills etc. You were just happy you could grab a few forkfuls between the ones you were giving toddlers.

That was a long time ago but when I was done with daycare, my kids were all in school and eating at the table alone during the day meant you were very aware you were alone. I was self-employed, I worked from home and talk radio began to be my companionship. So I ate at the stove, standing up, under the counter radio within reach and I know it is bad all around.

Bad for my digestion, bad for watching quantities, bad for eating slow and bad for actually tasting what you are eating.

I bring this up because that morning, everything tasted amazing. I really do not think it was as much about the quality of the food as it was the slow pace in which I enjoyed it and the hyper sensitivity to the world around me. There was no wait staff hustling here and there to distract me. No infant crying a few tables away which would have left me wondering why the parent won't try and calm the child. I did not even have the constant flow of food trays passing by, encouraging me to doubt my personal choice and plan for the next visit.

It was just me, Dan and the food.:lovestruc

It was just us, the food and the subtle atmosphere on a MK side-street, a world away from any hint of a crowd and completely immersed in Walt's dream of family enjoyment.

P1090325.jpg

P1090327.jpg

Totally pleasurable and totally a smack in your face, God tapping you on the shoulder and telling you to slow down, moment. :angel:

Now the reviews:

The line was long inside but moving fast.

Then I noticed some etiquette issues while in line at the Bakery. I was flabbergasted at the amount of people with humongous strollers, trying to navigate the rope ques, holding their morning coffees and talking to someone on the cell phones. We are talking double wide jogging strollers folks.

Most of these were women who had husbands holding tables down. I know this because they were talking to their husbands about what to order them. :sad2:

Advice from Dawn: Please let the people not in line, watch your kids in the strollers. It is ridiculous you slam into the heels of strangers because you are trying to juggle so much in line and there is a spouse, parent of relative, sitting elsewhere, capable of watching the tot.

Also, take the friggin binky out of your kids mouth when they are old enough to speak. :headache: It drives me nuts!!!!! These kids are three and four and you are trying to ask them what they want and you as their parent, cannot understand them because they cannot form words correctly yet because they have a rubber teether in their mouth still. pirate: Why would you want your kid to have mush mouth? Most societies think communication is a form of civility and your kid sounds like it is squawking and clicking noises like some 4th world tribe and even those parents, understand the language their kid has.

Your kid sounds like Flipper.

So now I and a line full of other people are waiting to order because cute little Johnny
has lock jaw due to inactivity of his yapper. He may have the Madrid shorts and polo shirts of Ralph Lauren, but he will never be a CEO of any company sounding like a drunk Keith Richards mated with Ozzy Osbourne.

Second, if you are in an ECV, do not budge in line or think you can squeeze through twenty people ahead to join your adult child. I would not allow my able bodied kids to do this and you are in a 1000 pound foot decapitator.

Seriously, this lady who could not steer a TV tray, let alone a personal vehicular device, cut through at least twenty people as she tried to join her daughter. We were in the ropes and had nowhere to go and she did not care. She was coming through and even the binky toddlers were genius enough to point and stare.

It took about 10 minutes to get to the point of ordering and although understandable because of the hour of the day, the wait was made worse by those we had to wait with in line. By the time we left the bakery with our order, the line was out the door and down the street.

P1090323.jpg

The Cheese Danish was lovely. Light, buttery, flaky and paper thin crust encircling a dollop of sweet, creamy cheese that had melted into the inner parts of the pastry.

The cheese was thick enough to stick to your fork and not run through the tines but not starchy enough to coat your tongue. It was color of cream lace with just a hint of daffodil yellow. The pastry had been baked to perfection. Not one bit was burned or tough to cut with the plastic utensils. The taste of butter was evident and they must use the real stuff for their dough, not margarine. Depending how much pastry to filling ratio you wanted, dictated the sweetness of the bite.

The icing drizzle was very sweet and similar to what is found on a cinnamon roll.

P1090324.jpg

The fruit bowl was fresh but as I find often the case, the honeydew was not ripe when cut. It was almost bitter and the acidity had started to affect the other fruit as the juices from all of them mingled. The grapes were crisp and flavorful. I was glad we had gotten a mixed bowl and the honeydew had not ruined the whole experience but if it had sat longer, it just might have.

P1090322.jpg

The croissant was okay. The egg was not like Mc Donald's eggs so Dan ate it and that says a lot.

P1090326.jpg

The cheese was melted and the ham had enough salt to be seasoned well without feeling the need to drink a gallon of water with each bite. Again, nothing was burned and the croissant was airy and light.

The tranquility of the location was just amazing. We were not feeling rushed to leave our table and we did not want to give up our piece of heaven. We talked slowly, ate slower and I began to remember the joy of food.

The Cheese Danish would be ordered again and I found it one of the more enjoyable dining moments of the trip. You wanted to savor each bite and chewed slowly. It melted like cotton candy in your mouth and I knew why it was so highly acclaimed!

The whole experience can only be given an:

emeril-lagasse-net-worth2.jpg

If the fruit bowl had been better it may have pushed it to a Paula but alas, it really was not great and part of me ate it simply because I knew I needed my fruit for the day and we had paid for it. :teacher:

I encourage all of you to take your QS food here if you buy anything on or near main Street. It is worth the walk. :worship:

Also, take the friggin binky out of your kids mouth when they are old enough to speak. :headache: It drives me nuts!!!!! These kids are three and four and you are trying to ask them what they want and you as their parent cannot understand them because they cannot form words correctly yet because they have a rubber teether in their mouth still.

:thumbsup2 I am sooo in agreement with you on this one! A real pet peeve for me.
Anyway, glad that you found such an enjoyable way to start your day off in solitude. I'm going to take some time to try to find a side street myself in October and enjoy my food experience and hope it's half as good as yours sounded.

I am definitely going to try to grab something at the bakery and sit on that side street next trip! I've jockeyed for a table inside the bakery before, and that's not an experience I want to repeat, but outdoors looks so tranquil!
About the fruit cup--have you ever had one where the honeydew was good? I know I haven't!! Why do they even bother with it when it never tastes like it's supposed to taste? And it's not just Disney--they only good honeydew I ever get is if I cut it and eat it at home. Everywhere else it's like filler.

Nice review. We also love the Main Street Bakery. We have never had the croissant sandwich though. I'll have to remember that one. My kids prefer the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich...they would eat that for breakfast. :laughing:

Omg I :love: cheese Danish!! And that one looks yummmmyyyyyyyy!!! I have CRT ressies for breakfast but not Til 10 maybe I'll share one with dd and db beforehand!

But I won't be one of those parents with the stroller!!! I promise and my daughter will def not have a binky in her mouth!

And don't get me started on ECVs!!

Nice review. We also love the Main Street Bakery. We have never had the croissant sandwich though. I'll have to remember that one. My kids prefer the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich...they would eat that for breakfast. :laughing:

I would eat that for breakfast!!!! Lol

As a child care provider, the pacifier is my biggest pet peeve!!! There have been so many times that I have the child completely broken of it for months here while the parents still give it to them at home. If they can go the 9 or 10 hours a day they're with me without a plug in their mouth, why do they need one for the 2 or 3 waking hours they're at home?! It drives me crazy!!!!!! Anyhoo...

Still enjoying your reviews!

Main St. Bakery is the best! I love cheese danishes, so I'll definitely have to try that one! We try to go in the late afternoon-- crowds are much lighter then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter