Official Wine & Dine 2018

They're talking about weather and throw away clothes over at the Marathon Weekend thread. Is this something that I need to plan for? First time running W&D and have never been to Orlando at the end of October / beginning of November.

Definitely a consideration for marathon weekend, but for W&D I would worry more about wet versus dry as it is the tail end of hurricane season.

They're talking about weather and throw away clothes over at the Marathon Weekend thread. Is this something that I need to plan for? First time running W&D and have never been to Orlando at the end of October / beginning of November.
I wouldn't think so. Florida is still quite warm in October and November. I know it is way early for weather predictions but the AccuWeather month long forecast has WDW in the mid 80s for a high and mid 60s for a low around 11/1.

This is going to be my first WDW race weekend outside of marathon weekend in January. Can anybody compare typical crowd levels for me? I am running the challenge and plan to maybe race one race and fun run the other (PR in character stops!). Currently leaning towards racing the 10K, but would love to hear thoughts.

Edited to add - I know corral placement helps with the ability to race at all, but I am not factoring that in at the moment.

Just pure numbers wise, there 20,816 half finishers at marathon weekend compared to 13,181 for W&D so that’s obviously significantly less. Not much difference in the 10k though - 12,897 for Marathon WE vs 11,115 for W&D.

Not sure how the corrals break down between the two.

I remember last year’s W&D to have been humid for whatever that is worth.

Definitely a consideration for marathon weekend, but for W&D I would worry more about wet versus dry as it is the tail end of hurricane season.
Thanks. Will make sure to bring some rain gear.

I wouldn't think so. Florida is still quite warm in October and November. I know it is way early for weather predictions but the AccuWeather month long forecast has WDW in the mid 80s for a high and mid 60s for a low around 11/1.
I'll take warm especially with it getting colder here.

Great. I'm going to have frizzy hair...

Just pure numbers wise, there 20,816 half finishers at marathon weekend compared to 13,181 for W&D so that’s obviously significantly less. Not much difference in the 10k though - 12,897 for Marathon WE vs 11,115 for W&D.

Wow, much smaller overall. Guess I will wait to see what the corrals look like and where I am placed. Thanks!

I haven't run this weekend yet but I know in terms of numbers this weekend is smaller than WDW marathon weekend.

In terms of the parks Epcot will be busy with Food and Wine.

Thanks!!

This is going to be my first WDW race weekend outside of marathon weekend in January. Can anybody compare typical crowd levels for me? I am running the challenge and plan to maybe race one race and fun run the other (PR in character stops!). Currently leaning towards racing the 10K, but would love to hear thoughts.

Edited to add - I know corral placement helps with the ability to race at all, but I am not factoring that in at the moment.

I feel like the 10K is definitely the more PR-able of the two races ... depending on where you are, the pathway from exiting DHS to the Boardwalk path is really tight with some sharp turns, and all the construction walls in that area aren't going to help that this year.

2017 Corrals:

https://noguiltlife.com/2017-wine-dine-corrals-maps-event-guide/

It was humid and slightly foggy, but not too terrible. A little chilly (for me - I think anything below 60 is sweater/fireplace weather), but not bad overall.

Park crowd levels are likely to be higher than in January - this is not a particularity slow season. Weekends at EP will be packed for F&W Fest.

Something to consider re: racing for time is that it is still currently summer here in FL and not likely to cool down much by Nov. If you hail from a more temperate region, you may find conditions are not conducive to racing hard.

We've had no cool down at all yet, and are breaking record highs this week. Early Nov. can be a little cooler if a cold front manages to drop far enough south - but "cooler" means 80 instead of 90. Overnight lows should (please, Universe, please!!) drop into the 60s by then, but the sun is still strong and things will heat up quickly after sunrise. If a real cold front manages to bust through, it could bring strong storms and rain before nay cooler temps. So no, nothing like the freezing temps of Marathon week this year, but if you're type to like a light layer in the 60s, maybe bring a throwaway shirt or hoodie, just in case (I do, but after running in temps near 100 for 6 months, 65 feels downright chilly to me!)

I wouldn’t worry about layering as unless things take a drastic turn in a month it will probably be in the 70s with 90+% humidity

I presume I will be in the last few corrals since this is my first Disney race and I do not have a timing history to submit. With that said, I wonder if I will have ample opportunity to take photos with Disney characters along the way? Clearly, folks in the earlier corrals will have more time and probably less wait time for the characters. My fear is that the "balloon ladies" will catch with me if I even spend 15 mins in line for anything. Any feedback and advice from past runners?

I presume I will be in the last few corrals since this is my first Disney race and I do not have a timing history to submit. With that said, I wonder if I will have ample opportunity to take photos with Disney characters along the way? Clearly, folks in the earlier corrals will have more time and probably less wait time for the characters. My fear is that the "balloon ladies" will catch with me if I even spend 15 mins in line for anything. Any feedback and advice from past runners?
I have been in later corrals before and never had a major issue with it. As long as you can make up some of that lost time you’ll be fine.

For half-marathons, I'm always in the later corrals (which depends on the race and how many corrals it has, but figure 3rd from last a general theme), run around a 13:00-13:30/mi pace, and have plenty of time to stop for some pics. I probably couldn't manage every photo stop, but I also don't want every one of them. Only one or two spots will have waits anything like 15 minutes long - most times I stop, it's less than a few minutes.

For 10Ks, the lines can and do get looong and I've wound up behind the Balloon Ladies after one too many long photo lines, even starting in A or B. Worst case, you're in line and see them coming, you snap your pic then run ahead of them. Or bail on the photo.

For half-marathons, I'm always in the later corrals (which depends on the race and how many corrals it has, but figure 3rd from last a general theme), run around a 13:00-13:30/mi pace, and have plenty of time to stop for some pics. I probably couldn't manage every photo stop, but I also don't want every one of them. Only one or two spots will have waits anything like 15 minutes long - most times I stop, it's less than a few minutes.

For 10Ks, the lines can and do get looong and I've wound up behind the Balloon Ladies after one too many long photo lines, even starting in A or B. Worst case, you're in line and see them coming, you snap your pic then run ahead of them. Or bail on the photo.
Thank you for the advice. I am running the 10K too so I guess I will not be too down-hearted if I miss a photo op as there's always the half marathon to snag one.

It's going to depend on what you think is cool Two years ago I had a very lightweight throwaway I wore. I would rather be warm and comfortable than a little cold. I wore a sweatshirt every morning and evening because for me if the sun wasn't out and I'm not moving around it's chilly. I also use it inside because of the a/c. I will say most people weren't wearing anything but I also saw plenty of jackets/long sleeved tshirts tossed as I went through the corral.

What needs to be done at the expo for the challenge? I think I have read before that you need to get a photo or a wristband?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter