Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2020

Something to watch, reports are the Food and Wine Classic at the Swan and Dolphin Nov. 6th and 7th has been canceled. Same weekend as Wine and Dine....

😩 I also saw a report on the Y&BC forum that a band had tweeted out something along the lines that they would miss their Epcot fans this year because Eat to the Beat has been cancelled...but apparently it was quickly taken down.

I know it hasn’t been officially announced, but Food & Wine is supposed to start this year in late August and I really don’t see any way they will continue with plans. The Swan and Dolphin being cancelled is just a hint that they are thinking November will still be an issue which is the end of Food & Wine. It is pretty clear that the demos, events, and other Food & Wine gatherings will not be allowed. The Food booths around Epcot would be problematic as well, so I really don’t see how they can have Food & Wine while maintaining their mask policy and social distancing. This is all without even mentioning the reservation system and no park hoping so no last minute go to Epcot in the evening for some food booths. So, if there is no Food & Wine festival this year, why bother trying to hold the race? There won’t be an after party so that perk would be gone and I am pretty sure they oversold the bibs based on what they are doing with the sales on the Marathon and Princess weekends. I wish Disney would be more up front with their long term plans on these events when it is clear they have it already figured out while stringing everyone along.

Something to watch, reports are the Food and Wine Classic at the Swan and Dolphin Nov. 6th and 7th has been canceled. Same weekend as Wine and Dine....
Although it is the same weekend, it is also usually a pretty jam packed, shoulder to shoulder event which wouldn't be anywhere near the current guidelines for social distancing. I am still maintaining my level of realistic optimism that with some guidelines and modifications the races can still proceed.

I wish Disney would be more up front with their long term plans on these events when it is clear they have it already figured out while stringing everyone along.

What do you base this on? I don‘t think it could be further from the truth. Just about every industry across the country is struggling to feel their way through the current conditions and figure out what is safe and workable and what isn’t. Look at how much things have changed in the three months since this all started. There’s no way anyone can predict what things are going to be like for an event almost 5 months away. Disney is more than likely waiting to see a combination of how the reopening of the parks goes and what happens with the virus to make a decision on whether enough safety measures could be put in place to hold the race weekend safely.

My guess at this point is that the race weekend is probably a 50/50 proposition, at best. I also understand that people don’t like uncertainty, but we’re living in a very uncertain time. What I don’t understand is the desire some people have for RunDisney to rush to a final decision right now, when the only possible outcome of that is cancellation. I would rather them let the situation continue to evolve and make a fact-based decision based on actual conditions closer to the race weekend, so that there’s at least a possibility that it could happen.

😩 I also saw a report on the Y&BC forum that a band had tweeted out something along the lines that they would miss their Epcot fans this year because Eat to the Beat has been cancelled...but apparently it was quickly taken down.

I saw the when they did it, I believe it was Jefferson Starship?? Or maybe it's been more than one band now. I can't find it anymore so yeah, I'm guessing they weren't supposed to tell!

I saw the when they did it, I believe it was Jefferson Starship?? Or maybe it's been more than one band now. I can't find it anymore so yeah, I'm guessing they weren't supposed to tell!

Yep it was Starship. I saw the post on Facebook before it was (quickly) taken down and had posted about it on a Food and Wine Thread on here:

"Sorry Epcot Starship fans. Eat To The Beat just cancelled. Stay safe. We love you."

What do you base this on? I don‘t think it could be further from the truth. Just about every industry across the country is struggling to feel their way through the current conditions and figure out what is safe and workable and what isn’t. Look at how much things have changed in the three months since this all started. There’s no way anyone can predict what things are going to be like for an event almost 5 months away. Disney is more than likely waiting to see a combination of how the reopening of the parks goes and what happens with the virus to make a decision on whether enough safety measures could be put in place to hold the race weekend safely.

My guess at this point is that the race weekend is probably a 50/50 proposition, at best. I also understand that people don’t like uncertainty, but we’re living in a very uncertain time. What I don’t understand is the desire some people have for RunDisney to rush to a final decision right now, when the only possible outcome of that is cancellation. I would rather them let the situation continue to evolve and make a fact-based decision based on actual conditions closer to the race weekend, so that there’s at least a possibility that it could happen.

I base this on the steps they are taking already, the fact that Food & Wine should start at the end of August however things are being cancelled during that time, the reservation system will still be in play almost certainly, Swan and Dolphin event is cancelled for November, limited race bibs being sold for Marathon week in January, etc. There IS a plan and they have more figured out and decided that they have not told the people with reservations just waiting to hear something. Even back with the Star Wars weekend races, there was a plan and they waited until the last minute (in comparison to other races) to cancel. You have other major races cancelling way in advance, however, Disney waits until the last minute. Other non-Disney events are being cancelled way in advance, however, nothing from Disney until the last minute. You honestly don’t believe Disney has this figured out way before they announce? If so, you must think they are stupid which I don’t believe. If they want to let things “evolve” before they make a final decision, then they should have metrics they are looking at for their decision, share those with their customers. Its not that hard to be transparent.

I base this on the steps they are taking already, the fact that Food & Wine should start at the end of August however things are being cancelled during that time, the reservation system will still be in play almost certainly, Swan and Dolphin event is cancelled for November, limited race bibs being sold for Marathon week in January, etc. There IS a plan and they have more figured out and decided that they have not told the people with reservations just waiting to hear something. Even back with the Star Wars weekend races, there was a plan and they waited until the last minute (in comparison to other races) to cancel. You have other major races cancelling way in advance, however, Disney waits until the last minute. Other non-Disney events are being cancelled way in advance, however, nothing from Disney until the last minute. You honestly don’t believe Disney has this figured out way before they announce? If so, you must think they are stupid which I don’t believe. If they want to let things “evolve” before they make a final decision, then they should have metrics they are looking at for their decision, share those with their customers. Its not that hard to be transparent.
I think there is another alternative option that you may not be fully considering. I believe (without any facts to back me up) that Disney and runDisney have several scenarios sketched out, perhaps even in great detail. These scenarios would range from complete cancellation to almost business as usual, with an option or two or three in between. The question then is when to pull the trigger on a final option. It's an everyday life problem for everyone, called by Economists "decision making under uncertainty". That is, the best decision as of today may well turn out in retrospect to be a poor decision based on later facts. So if the future may lend itself to greater clarity (less variation), then a prudent action may be to wait absolutely as long as possible.

Now that's all good and theoretical, but the issue for all of us on these boards is that "as long as possible" means different things to different people. Disney worries about logistics and safety (and revenue); we worry about airfare, hotel reservations, dining reservations, training plans, alternative vacations/races, etc. I think, for many of us, our "as long as possible" may be sooner than Disney's; hence the frustration.

Much of this is not a lot different from what you are saying, only that you would like to know the timing and algorithms Disney is using to make their decisions. Unfortunately, even the algorithms may be in flux, and I do not reasonably expect Disney to share them with us.

Or, yet another scenario is that Disney just hasn't set up and labeled the dart board they will use to make their decision.

Last edited:
I believe (without any facts to back me up) that Disney and runDisney have several scenarios sketched out, perhaps even in great detail. These scenarios would range from complete cancellation to almost business as usual, with an option or two or three in between. The question then is when to pull the trigger on a final option.
Precisely.

I think there is another alternative option that you may not be fully considering. I believe (without any facts to back me up) that Disney and runDisney have several scenarios sketched out, perhaps even in great detail. These scenarios would range from complete cancellation to almost business as usual, with an option or two or three in between. The question then is when to pull the trigger on a final option. It's an everyday life problem for everyone, called by Economists "decision making under uncertainty". That is, the best decision as of today may well turn out in retrospect to be a poor decision based on later facts. So if the future may lend itself to greater clarity (less variation), then a prudent action may be to wait absolutely as long as possible.

Now that's all good and theoretical, but the issue for all of us on these boards is that "as long as possible" means different things to different people. Disney worries about logistics and safety (and revenue); we worry about airfare, hotel reservations, dining reservations, training plans, alternative vacations/races, etc. I think, for many of us, our "as long as possible" may be sooner than Disney's; hence the frustration.

Much of this is not a lot different from what you are saying, only that you would like to know the timing and algorithms Disney is using to make their decisions. Unfortunately, even the algorithms may be in flux, and I do not reasonably expect Disney to share them with us.

Or, yet another scenario is that Disney just hasn't set up and labeled the dart board they will use to make their decision.

This is pretty much exactly what is going on behind the scenes. It's too early for them to make the call.

Hopefully, somebody on this thread can post if ANY in-person race happens between now and November. I was going to do a small-ish half marathon in mid-September in Saratoga Springs, NY, but it just went virtual. Somebody, somewhere is going to half to take the plunge and have a race. I don't think rD will be the first.
Fargo announced today that they are planning to have their race the last weekend of August. They are finalizing their detailed plan, but it sounds like the city is allowing them to have it (at least as of right now). This was announced on FB and Instagram (and an email) - I don’t see this updated info on their website yet.

I don’t think this race is happening, especially since they canceled Mickey’s Not so Scary Halloween Party for 2020. That goes into October, so I think it’s a matter of time for RunDisney to cancel Wine and Dine.

I don’t think this race is happening, especially since they canceled Mickey’s Not so Scary Halloween Party for 2020. That goes into October, so I think it’s a matter of time for RunDisney to cancel Wine and Dine.
I know they are ‘waiting and seeing’ with Christmas at present though I’m betting between now/Aug
—race weekend will be canceled or be announced as virtual (like I said earlier in the thread volunteer sign ups are historically in July so that may be the tell)
—Christmas party & candlelight will be called (with a modified festival of the holidays or extend food and wine till end of 2020)
—no tree trail/Santa at springs
—Resort holiday decoration scaled back due to limited/no resort hopping

Resort holiday decoration scaled back due to limited/no resort hopping
I don’t think Disney decorates specifically for resort hopping people. I could see gingerbread houses maybe not happening but that’s so far away yet and many resorts have pretty minimal decor.

Is this an update from your bet that before July 11th, it will be cancelled?
I’m just having fun playing the guessing and speculation game 🤷🏻‍♀️ I have no intention of coming off as a Debbie Downer
I don’t think Disney decorates specifically for resort hopping people. I could see gingerbread houses maybe not happening but that’s so far away yet and many resorts have pretty minimal decor.
Yea I’m talking mainly about the gingerbread house at the grand and the merry go round at the beach club going on hiatus

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter