Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

I got the email that they shipped yesterday, and then found out that they'd arrived last night when I got home from work. Be careful: screen printing on the unisex Lumiere's Challenge shirt on mine came through just a little. Front was stuck to the back. Not bad enough to return, but will be careful when washing first few times.

Hopefully My new running shoes are there when I get home. Had a coupon and reward card for roadrunner that made them almost half off. Don't need them yet but they'll be my w&d shoes. Same as the shoes I'm using now, thought I'd better get them before they changed to a new model since I really like them.

I got the email that they shipped yesterday, and then found out that they'd arrived last night when I got home from work. Be careful: screen printing on the unisex Lumiere's Challenge shirt on mine came through just a little. Front was stuck to the back. Not bad enough to return, but will be careful when washing first few times.

Uh oh, gonna check mine quick!!

Also, I have a 10k Wine & Dine challenge shirt if anyone wants to buy it who may have missed out. Via PayPal or something. It's a woman's large.

Hey there Dis! I'm hopping into this thread now that I've registered for the Wine and Dine Half. This is going to be my first half-marathon, and I'm excited to be doing it with runDisney! I made it a goal of 2016 to run a half-marathon, so W&D seemed like the perfect timing. I'm registered for a 10k race on May 30th, and I plan on using that race for corral placement.

So far my trainings gone pretty well, and I just bought a new pair of Asics that makes lacing up really fun. (We'll see how long that excitement lasts)

I'm currently a college student, so it's hard to predict how many days I'll be able to take off from class. I need to know what days exams will fall on or when I have projects or presentations before I can book a hotel, so I'm not sure if this will be a quick one night trip for me or a multi-day family vacation. I'm hoping to star a PTR pretty soon to be held accountable for my training and to have some extra fun with the trip planning!

Best of luck with training everyone!

Our TA got our pedicure appointment made today for the salon at Yacht Club. So excited! And they book you in numbered chairs, we're in 1 and 2, so we know we'll get to sit together which is great. Hoping it won't be so relaxing after the race that I fall asleep :) Then we'll have time to explore the boardwalk area which neither of us have done and then beaches and cream I think at 5:40, I forget, before the after party. I'm assuming (despite what that can do) that we'll be able to enter for the party through the IG since they know how many stay in that area for the race.

Thank so much for all the great advice, am going to amend my plans and avoid a Lunchtime ADR as I don't want the stress of trying to rush through everything at the end.

Think I'll rely on QS (for Lunch) and on my way back to the Dolphin I can go via the Boardwalk and stop at the Bakery, if I'm post race starving, and get myself something very sweet and sticky (Well I have just run 13.1 miles so I'll deserve it).

I'll book a early dinner ADR instead somewhere nice as a post race treat...

I think that's the right choice. We felt really rushed making a lunch ADR after Princess so never again! I'll just stick to dinner and grab something quick, probably at the resort after the run.

A thread on the Attraction and Theme parks strategy board got me thinking, it was about Crying at Disney Fireworks.

Now I use to be quite Steely and not too emotional, then I became a mum (mom) and now I cry at loads of things and I have the sneaking suspicion I will turn into a blubbering wreck, maybe during the race and probably,(Who am I kidding) most definitely when I cross the finish line.

It got me thinking would I be alone with this and have to keep all my Kleenex to myself or are there other folks who will have a the odd tear in their eyes..

I'm a crier and totally thought I would cry at the finish line. I did at the 10K in 2015, which was my first race really. But didn't at the end of Princess 1/2 this year. But I balled like a baby running up Main St. and seeing the castle!

Newbie to running needs help.
I had NEVER run in my life (46 years), fearing injury to my knees. This year though, I made up my mind to check a "run event" off my list. I started practicing 2 months ago, and successfully ran my first 10K at a local event. Did feel a little queasy after that. Here are some questions I have (would be running the Lumiere challenge, so 2 days of exertion). My only goal is to finish both without injury.
1> What should I eat/drink the day of the race, and when (since the race start super early, would love this advise). How long before should I eat?
2> Since I will be running the 10K and half, should I try to do them as individual races and try to race each with full vigor, or should I ease up on the 10K?
3> What are some good stretches before and after the run(s)? How long a stretch?
4> I am planning to go str8 back to the hotel after the 10K and get in the hot tub. Good or bad?
5> Should I take an Aspirin before (or after, or both) the 10K? Would any of these choices make a diff the next day for the half?
6> Should I take an Aspirin before the half?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I would LOVE the advise of those who can/have do/done this. Thanks in advance.

I had NEVER run in my life (46 years), fearing injury to my knees. This year though, I made up my mind to check a "run event" off my list. I started practicing 2 months ago, and successfully ran my first 10K at a local event. Did feel a little queasy after that. Here are some questions I have (would be running the Lumiere challenge, so 2 days of exertion). My only goal is to finish both without injury.
1> What should I eat/drink the day of the race, and when (since the race start super early, would love this advise). How long before should I eat?
2> Since I will be running the 10K and half, should I try to do them as individual races and try to race each with full vigor, or should I ease up on the 10K?
3> What are some good stretches before and after the run(s)? How long a stretch?
4> I am planning to go str8 back to the hotel after the 10K and get in the hot tub. Good or bad?
5> Should I take an Aspirin before (or after, or both) the 10K? Would any of these choices make a diff the next day for the half?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I would LOVE the advise of those who can/have do/done this. Thanks in advance.

1. Everyone is different on eating, start trying foods out now and at different times before, to find what works for you. I can eat a donut an hour before and run fine, but that might not be good for you. Some will eat a bagel/peanut butter in the start corral before.
2. Again, that's a personal thing on doing a challenge. Some race both, some take the 10k easy, some the half easy and some take both easy. Do what you feel comfortable doing.
3. I don't stretch before and really not even after. Stretching for some is good and for others it's not. I personally start my runs slower and build up and then always walk about a 1/2 mile at the end. If my calf is tight I'll stretch it when it's warmed up. Be careful not too overstretch. Google runner stretches and I'm sure you'll get a bunch. Before running a lot of people prefer dynamic stretching/warming up because stretching cold muscles may not be the best.
4. I take a hot shower after races so a hot bath is fine. Some people will say no and recommend an ice bath. To each their own on this. I prefer warm.
5/6. Why do you need an Aspirin? You shouldn't take anything just because unless you have a reason.

Better to start working on any stretching you think you may need now rather than wait. This is coming from someone that feels better when I stretch before bed because my leg muscles get tight and then get too tired and don't do it. My right calf is a bit cranky right now but not as bad as it's been, so I really need to get back to stretching.

Nsaids before and after a race aren't good. I take tylenol before I run because of headaches and hope it'll help. I'm not sure about aspirin, you probably want to google aspirin and running and see what comes up. I can't take aspirin so I've never read anything about it.

For food, I make sure I'm not hungry when I go to sleep the night before a race otherwise I fuel too fast during the race. It all depends on what your stomach wants and can handle. I know I'll need to have more than a bowel of cheerios before the half, though it's been ok for up to 8 miles. I get cranky when I get hungry and don't want a stomach ache from fueling too fast.

I use compression sleeves when I'm done running, I've never taken a bath hot or cold but I would prefer hot because my muscles get tight. My feet would probably appreciate the cold though. It's all what works for you since you know how your body reacts to things best.

Nsaids before and after a race aren't good. I take tylenol before I run because of headaches and hope it'll help. I'm not sure about aspirin, you probably want to google aspirin and running and see what comes up.

Just FYI, aspirin is an NSAID as well. Definitely do your own research, consult a doctor, etc., however, the caution around running is about not taking NSAIDS before/during a run. Taking it after a run is not seen as a danger, from what I understand and as per my doc's advice.

Here's one running-related article re: NSAIDs -- there are MANY MORE out there... http://houseofrunning.com/the-dangers-of-mixing-meds-and-running/

Do you get any sort of confirmation message after submitting your proof of time through the Active registration page? Like after they look it up, do they send you a message that they've got it? Thanks!

For food, I make sure I'm not hungry when I go to sleep the night before a race otherwise I fuel too fast during the race. It all depends on what your stomach wants and can handle. I know I'll need to have more than a bowel of cheerios before the half, though it's been ok for up to 8 miles. I get cranky when I get hungry and don't want a stomach ache from fueling too fast.

Very similar to the above poster but a couple years older :o but only doing the half, not the challenge. My question on this is what do you then do to refuel? Do they offer things during the race or do you carry everything with you? What do you suggest as best for refueling?

Very similar to the above poster but a couple years older :o but only doing the half, not the challenge. My question on this is what do you then do to refuel? Do they offer things during the race or do you carry everything with you? What do you suggest as best for refueling?
Not the PP you responded to, but some thoughts... :)

My sister and I like to carry our stuff wth us. The key being that we like to train with the fuel we will use on race day, rather than use what they have on hand.

During a half, Disney does multiple water and PowerAid stops, and at one point offers Gu. We don't like the ones they have. :(

It took me a while of practicing on long runs to find what worked best for me... Was Gatorade good? How much alternating that with water? Did Nuun feel like it worked better, mixed with some chews along the way -- instead of Gatorade? How many Gu's for a half? With or without caffeine? What flavor?

It feels like A LOT, but it's really just a matter of getting a few things and trying them as you train. :)

I'm probably going to repeat a lot of what has been said already...

(1) is something you need to figure out for yourself during training. We can tell you what works for us (for me: bagel with peanut butter 1 hour before race starts) but it may not work for you.
(2) up to you. Depends on your goals and abilities. I take my time at Disney races so I will be taking the races easy and not shooting for a goal time (I figure I can do that at home). But since you are a newer runner and this will be your first challenge, I'd recommend taking the 10K easy.
(3) I can't answer this, I don't stretch before runs. I think it's bad to stretch cold muscles though.
(4) I do the opposite - 10-minute ice bath. Again, experiment during training and see what works best for you
(5) and (6) I think @MickeyMinnieMom gave you good advice on this one.
Do you get any sort of confirmation message after submitting your proof of time through the Active registration page? Like after they look it up, do they send you a message that they've got it? Thanks!
Nope. It's unsettling, isn't it? :(

Just make sure it's saved there and take a screen shot/print it out in case something looks wonky with your bib assignment in October.

So here's the thing, as you've no doubt already seen: every runner is different and has different needs. So we really can't tell you what's going to be best for you, only what's worked for us and how you might go about seeing what's right for you. :)

1. You'll need to start testing this out in training and see what feels best. Me, I MUST eat well before running, so I eat breakfast (usually oatmeal or a bagel with fruit and coffee) before leaving the hotel (which is generally about 2.5-3 hours before race time), then a Clif bar about an hour out from the start.

2. If this is your first time running a back-to-back challenge, I strongly suggest taking the 10K easy and then going by feel for the half. That approach will help you get through the distances and allow you to have fun doing it! I tend to make the 10Ks my fun race with lots of stops for pictures and no racing for time at all. If the weather's good and I feel up to it, then I might attack the half, or I may decide to take that one easy, too, and just enjoy the experience. It's usually a day-of decision.

3. Some experts advise stretching, while others caution against it. Do some research on this before launching into anything. I've been practicing yoga for 20+ years and am a former dancer, so my body is used to a fair amount of routine stretching, but someone not used to it can easily cause themselves injury.

4. Test it out in training! Some people prefer an ice bath after running, others a hot tub, and others neither.

5./6. Absolutely NOT before, unless prescribed to do so by a doctor.

Laundered both shirts, and hung to dry. Both came out fine.

Wore the Challenge shirt today for a 4 mile run. Seams on the under side of the sleeves, near the arm pits, were a concern prior to starting. But no rubbing happened during the run.

Welcome to the club!

These are all great questions, and ones pretty much everyone has asked in the past. I'm going to answer them backwards, though.

5 & 6) Nope. If you MUST use some kind of painkiller, tylenol is safer, but you should talk to a doc with running experience first. More on that at the end.

4) Hot tub: Eh... If you like it. Better to learn self massage via a foam roller or The Stick, really. And active recovery.

3) Before the run... No to stretches unless you know how to do them very gently. Instead: http://running.competitor.com/2014/10/training/best-way-warm_116403
After the run... Good idea! Again, go easy, and I prefer repeated stretches that hold for only 2 or 3 seconds instead of long, 30 second stretches. (Flexibility can't hurt, but everything needs to be able to snap back, after all.)

2) That's totally up to you, but if you are going to push a good time in one of them, I would recommend going easy in the 10k. If you blast the first race, the half will not be easy, regardless of how you run it.

1) Experiment. We are all a sample size of 1.

Regarding the aspirin. Is this for your knees? Because you might be able to solve that problem just by adjusting your form and strengthening your hips. For example, you may be over-striding at a slow cadence. This will send pressure to your knees. Look up lots of different videos about running form (but don't get sucked into forefoot striking right away), and strength training for runners knee.

You said you felt queezy after your 10k. You might be running too hard! This is a common beginners mistake.

Okay, here's the thing. Use competitor.com, Runners World, Runners Connect, Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, and lots of other online resources to read articles about food, fuel, stretching, medications, running form, strength training, etc. etc. etc. There is a TON of information out there, and you'll come up with a lot of good questions to ask your doc or a trainer. You'll find there are common threads through everything you encounter.

So when it comes to avoiding injury, here are the most important things I have learned: 1) Get stronger. 2) Build gradually. Find a training plan like Jeff Galloway's on the runDisney site to prepare. (His whole approach is great for people getting into running later in life. Big help for me.) 3) Listen to every little ache and pain, and address it immediately. (The vast majority of what you feel will respond to strengthening something.)

Good luck and see you there!

Last edited:

1-As others have said, and to paraphrase Coach (cewait) : each of us is a sample of 1. During training and races between now and November, each of us will find things that work and don't work. To help myself, I keep a fairly detailed journal. With a journal, I can look for trends: clothing that doesn't work beyond 5 miles, say; or food that upset my stomach; or I had a great run today and here's what I did. Prior to running, a decade-plus of competitive shooting introduced me to the value of a journal.
2- To each their own. My current plan is to use the 10k as a "loosen up" run. Listen to my body during the first part of the 1/2. If all systems green, have some fun and pick it up during the latter stages of the 1/2. Above all- finish the challenge is the goal for me, not the times.
4- We are planning on walking a bit on Saturday. DW discovered that there are foam rollers at the BWI fitness center. We will be using them both race days, I'm sure. Pool in the afternoon on Saturday. Some may like warm to keep loose; others cool to decrease inflammation. I think I'm headed towards cool.
5&6- I suggest discussing with your physician. When I had an injury last fall leading into the 2015 Half-a-half Wine and Dine, I was told it was ok for me to take ibuprofen by my MD. But I was given specific, detailed instructions by someone who had access to almost 20 years of my medical history. I was told Aspercreme was a topical alternative I could consider by the same MD. But that was his advice for me, given that specific set of circumstances.

Forgot #3- I try to walk for several minutes pre-run, then a light jog. Depends on the distance of the run/race and goal. DW is very good at dynamic stretching, as is Max- his downward dog cycle is the stuff of legend.

DW and I add two more votes for The Stick and foam rolling.

To all who responded. THANK YOU. Great suggestions. This gives context to any search I would have done and provides an excellent framework. The 10K I ran, I finished in 59:07, so yes. for someone who had never run before, I probably pushed hard. It was a VERY hilly course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter