Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

That's sort of where we're headed. Keeping a solid base all through this year by running halfs - up to 8 more this year alone if all goes to plan. We are very comfortable at the 13.1 mileage - slow, but comfortable. Took a long time to get there, but I enjoy the base long runs of 8-10 miles. What I don't like is the yo-yo training, building back up to the 13.1 capacity. So right or wrong, we thought that by running halfs periodicaly, we keep our base strong and start building to the full in the fall. Someone, speak up if I'm doing this wrong!

I guess I'm seriously intimidated by mileage that starts with the number 2!

I think that is a great plan... in fact, that's kind of what I am doing.

My two running goals for this year are:

1. Run a total of 1131.5 miles (average 5K a day) and
2. Run 13 half marathons in 2013. (Last saturday was #2 for the year already)

I started running in January 2012 and built pretty quickly to the half level - my first half was in September. I do want to run a marathon, but am intimidated by the training schedule.

So, I've decided that 2013 will be all about the half and continuing to build a good base to prepare me to train for a full.

Basically, I want to be in shape to go out and run 13.1 miles every saturday if I choose... if I had the schedule available, I think I could have run 13.1 today - making it three weekends in a row. (I'm heading out in a few minutes to go run 7 or 8)

I actually felt like I could have run 13.1 last sunday (back to back halves).

So the plan now is that 2013 is the year of the half, I'll train in winter/spring 2014 for my first full sometime in late spring and then aim for Goofy 2015.

It feels a little nuts, but I believe I can do it. I am enjoying running so much, that I also just don't want to rush it. The full will still be there when I'm ready.

Ted

I think that is a great plan... in fact, that's kind of what I am doing.

My two running goals for this year are:

1. Run a total of 1131.5 miles (average 5K a day) and
2. Run 13 half marathons in 2013. (Last saturday was #2 for the year already)

I started running in January 2012 and built pretty quickly to the half level - my first half was in September. I do want to run a marathon, but am intimidated by the training schedule.

So, I've decided that 2013 will be all about the half and continuing to build a good base to prepare me to train for a full.

Basically, I want to be in shape to go out and run 13.1 miles every saturday if I choose... if I had the schedule available, I think I could have run 13.1 today - making it three weekends in a row. (I'm heading out in a few minutes to go run 7 or 8)

I actually felt like I could have run 13.1 last sunday (back to back halves).

So the plan now is that 2013 is the year of the half, I'll train in winter/spring 2014 for my first full sometime in late spring and then aim for Goofy 2015.

It feels a little nuts, but I believe I can do it. I am enjoying running so much, that I also just don't want to rush it. The full will still be there when I'm ready.

Ted

That is awesome, and I know the feeling.

Goals for 2013 for me: 1250 miles.

And Goofy (I count 2014 Marathon weekend as part of 2013 due to training). I want at least 4 other halves in there as well.

Funny, I never called myself a runner. But I am quick to adopt the moniker "marathoner". :cool1:

According to the results from the Goofy, Here are the average net finish times by age group for the combined half + full.

All F 08:33:46

F 18-24 08:35:00
F 25-29 08:28:38
F 30-34 08:32:43
F 35-39 08:23:16
F 40-44 08:28:34
F 45-49 08:36:09
F 50-54 08:43:32
F 55-59 09:01:49
F 60-64 09:14:11
F 65-69 08:57:58
F 70-74 09:25:16

All M 07:46:52

M 18-24 07:39:06
M 25-29 07:43:43
M 30-34 07:41:29
M 35-39 07:43:00
M 40-44 07:41:38
M 45-49 07:42:26
M 50-54 07:57:58
M 55-59 08:01:33
M 60-64 08:19:14
M 65-69 08:25:33
M 70-74 09:23:03
M 75-79 09:30:36

Where did you find these averages? I can only find my individual times for each race in the Goofy Challenge results. I am in the 55-59 age category and my total time was 7:19.01 It was super hot for the marathon and the humidity did not help either day.

How is it over already? So I have to say I've been in a funk since I returned home last Sunday after having a fabulous weekend at Disney. You train and anticipate for so long and then it's over before you know it. I think the cloud finally lifted today and I can start planning my next race!

We had an amazing "mini-vacation"--no parks or anything but it was great to get away and experience the Disney magic. My race was harder than I anticipated (what was up with all the hills after mile 10???) but I really enjoyed my return to Disney racing.

I finished in about 3 hours which is what I expected--hoping to train for time next year and get down to 2:45 (or lower?).

I started writing my race report on my blog so feel free to stop by for a more detailed/picture-friendly recap!

Great job everyone!!

How is it over already? So I have to say I've been in a funk since I returned home last Sunday after having a fabulous weekend at Disney. You train and anticipate for so long and then it's over before you know it. I think the cloud finally lifted today and I can start planning my next race!

We had an amazing "mini-vacation"--no parks or anything but it was great to get away and experience the Disney magic. My race was harder than I anticipated (what was up with all the hills after mile 10???) but I really enjoyed my return to Disney racing.

I finished in about 3 hours which is what I expected--hoping to train for time next year and get down to 2:45 (or lower?).

I started writing my race report on my blog so feel free to stop by for a more detailed/picture-friendly recap!

Great job everyone!!

YUP, it came and went in a blink of the eye. ;) Not really, but that is why I made reservations for our 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend stay at FW this morning. Spending the $$$$$ for reservations makes it as real as can be until it's time to register for the races.

kaf7878 said:

Great job everyone!!

Was a great time and I still on cloud nine. Sign up for another race. I have a 15k in about six weeks. While it is not Disney Marathon weekend, it is something to keep me moving forward.

Congrats on your run!

That is awesome, and I know the feeling.

Goals for 2013 for me: 1250 miles.

And Goofy (I count 2014 Marathon weekend as part of 2013 due to training). I want at least 4 other halves in there as well.

Funny, I never called myself a runner. But I am quick to adopt the moniker "marathoner". :cool1:

Maintaining a performance level once the level is achieved is excellent for your overall health. Keeps everything well lubed so you can do a half at a drop of a hat. :thumbsup2

Just don't overdo it or injuries might follow.

Was a great time and I still on cloud nine. Sign up for another race. I have a 15k in about six weeks. While it is not Disney Marathon weekend, it is something to keep me moving forward.

Congrats on your run!

I actually just registered for the Gasparilla 15K in Tampa! Is that the one you are running?

Bephus said:
Me too! Just registered today!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I registered back when registration first opened at the urging of a bunch of coworkers. As of this week, i am coming off a marathon finish and they havent even started training. Well, a couple can struggle through a 5k. I mighf be going it alone.

At least it gives me something to focus on. 2012 was about finishes, 2013 is about increasing speed and improving time.

lerxst said:
I registered back when registration first opened at the urging of a bunch of coworkers. As of this week, i am coming off a marathon finish and they havent even started training. Well, a couple can struggle through a 5k. I mighf be going it alone.

At least it gives me something to focus on. 2012 was about finishes, 2013 is about increasing speed and improving time.

Are you seeded? I had a bad running year so I am green AGAIN! One year I will make it into the red corral!
I am trying for a top 10% finishers hat this year. I just missed it last year and desperately want one this year. Fingers crossed.

Bephus said:
Are you seeded? I had a bad running year so I am green AGAIN! One year I will make it into the red corral!
I am trying for a top 10% finishers hat this year. I just missed it last year and desperately want one this year. Fingers crossed.

Me seeded. No way. I will be with the 10 - 11 mpm group.

lerxst said:
Me seeded. No way. I will be with the 10 - 11 mpm group.

You could be seeded! I think up to 12mpm is seeded. If you have a time call first place sports and get in a corral!! Unseeded is a nightmare at the Gate. All you need is 5k or more race in the past year with a chip time.

Bephus said:
You could be seeded! I think up to 12mpm is seeded. If you have a time call first place sports and get in a corral!! Unseeded is a nightmare at the Gate. All you need is 5k or more race in the past year with a chip time.

Oh yeah, i forgot they were doing that. I checked again and am in the grey corral. 10 -11 mpm group...which is the second to go out.

Where did you find these averages? I can only find my individual times for each race in the Goofy Challenge results. I am in the 55-59 age category and my total time was 7:19.01 It was super hot for the marathon and the humidity did not help either day.

I downloaded the Goofy results in a spreadsheet and ran an average.
I am working on the half and full now and will hopefully have something up in a few days that you can download.

I downloaded the Goofy results in a spreadsheet and ran an average.
I am working on the half and full now and will hopefully have something up in a few days that you can download.

Ahhh....makes sense, because that is not available anywhere. Thanks, will look forward to the averages for the other races too.

Amy, DO IT!!!! Last year's princess was my first half and I have done 3 others since then. The marathon this year was my first ever and it was AWESOME!!! Such a great race. Disney is by far the best place to do your first marathon, IMHO. My best half time is 2:29. As long as you can committ to the long training runs. I finished the full in 7:03. A bit slower than I had planned but I definitely slowed down with the heat, and did stop to ride Everest! Where else can you hop on a roller coaster in the middle of a marthon. Princess half is awesome and the full is just as awesome! I'm already thinking about Goofy next year. My biggest problem is my bank account. :( I really need to win the lottery!

And I'm going to sign up for the New Jersey Marathon this May! I figure I'm already trained, just need to maintain.

I ran the Disney full last week having only ever run 2- 1/2s the princess 2012 and the Wine n Dine in 2012- If I can do it you can do it- corral placement is key if you want to enjoy picture stops- I am heavily considering going Goofy for 2015! I am plannning to do a few more 1/2s this year as well-

Hi guys, lurker here. I just wanted to thank you for all of your (unknown) help.

I ran Goofy for the first time this year, and the Full was my first Marathon. To say I was nervous was an understatement but I really appreciated all of the tips and tricks you all shared. It was nice to know I wasn't alone! Running the marathon was an awesome experience. I'm not sure if I'll do another, though I have to admit, the temptation to try again to see how I do without a Half the day before and in lower temperatures is definitely there. Just not sure if I want to go through all the training again quite yet.

I also had a question. I am seriously kicking myself for not buying a short-sleeved marathon tech tee now. I guess I didn't want to jinx myself. Anyhow, I'm stalking ebay like crazy but also wanted to find out if you know if World of Disney was willing to ship things? I called their number today but it said they were closed (which was odd), but I'll try again tomorrow. But I figured you guys may be more seasoned than me at this stuff. :) I'm in Pennsylvania so it would be hard for me to get down there anytime soon to buy one in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter