• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

Whew!
(And I felt that many of the volunteers didn't really care about helping out, which feels horrid to say especially since I have volunteered and will do so again I'm sure, but it was my feeling)
As a volunteer (and runner), felt that was a little harsh. Anything in particular that made you feel like many of us didn't care about helping?

yeah... the folks who helped me were fantastic at making sure I understood what to do with my bag check sticker, to get my picture taken 20 feet behind where I was standing, and where to continue on my packet pickup journey (upstairs to get my shirts, etc.)- even though I mentioned that this was nowhere near my first race experience. Sorry your experience wasn't perfect, but every single volunteer I interacted with was fantastic.

yeah... the folks who helped me were fantastic at making sure I understood what to do with my bag check sticker, to get my picture taken 20 feet behind where I was standing, and where to continue on my packet pickup journey (upstairs to get my shirts, etc.)- even though I mentioned that this was nowhere near my first race experience. Sorry your experience wasn't perfect, but every single volunteer I interacted with was fantastic.

I have never had an issue myself but after the 10k this weekend, I was wearing my race shirt in the park and a lady came up to me and asked why we got that shirt...we explained it's part of the registration. She said she wasn't told to go upstairs or pick up her shirt or anything! Luckily the expo was still open at that time so we told her to get her bib and run over there! I am always thankful for the hundreds of people who help me make it through the race but it sounds like there might be a training opportunity for runDisney in the future.

Just cruised in from a long and busy weekend. Honestly could not have asked for a better weekend. Well only if I had been smart enough to see Elton John play on Friday night.

My experience and opinion. Volunteers were awesome!! Courses were fantastic. Bands and cheerleaders aplenty. The SoCal Star Wars groups were also well represented. I have to say Disneyland does a fantastic job making the sections of the course outside the parks as incredible as possible. The weather was great for both races of the challenge, right around the perfect 50° mark. Oh and I want Kwame (sp?) at all of my races in the future.

I had a blast during the 10K making sure to hit every character and picture spot. Awesome pics with Chewbacca, BB-8 and R2. Though the 14 miles of walking in the parks that day did not seem to be a smart choice for racing the next day, but it is Disneyland and we had plenty of family with us. I got up the next morning feeling pretty refreshed, plus I was running a challenge and did not plan on running too hard. First three miles the legs felt heavy, but all in all not too bad. Then something happened and I just started running a little faster. Hit mile 7 and realized I was actually close to a PR pace, so I decided to give it a whirl and push a little. Fixated on a woman in her orange and pink sparkle skirt who caught me on Harbor and started to pull away along Garden Grove. Reeled her back in plus lots of others and ended up with a PR (Master's) by a little over 3.5 minutes. Many thanks to the woman in that sparkle skirt :)

I will say I was disappointed the character photo opportunities were the same for both races. Plus, no Vader, Kylo Ren (I know Dark Side, but they did have Boba Fett), Rey, Leia, Han, or Luke.

I have never had an issue myself but after the 10k this weekend, I was wearing my race shirt in the park and a lady came up to me and asked why we got that shirt...we explained it's part of the registration. She said she wasn't told to go upstairs or pick up her shirt or anything! Luckily the expo was still open at that time so we told her to get her bib and run over there! I am always thankful for the hundreds of people who help me make it through the race but it sounds like there might be a training opportunity for runDisney in the future.

Interesting. That was included in the training. I heard the volunteers say it countless times. Appreciate the feedback!

As a volunteer (and runner), felt that was a little harsh. Anything in particular that made you feel like many of us didn't care about helping?

Even in what you quoted, you can see that even I felt it was harsh. But it was also my feeling.

The number of volunteers I saw staring off into space was astonishing. The person who got DS's bib *did not take his waiver*. When I realized this, I tried to find someone who would take the waiver without us having to go back downstairs, and no one cared at all, nor did they seem to comprehend why I would care. Well, I didn't, but I would think rundisney would! If he got hurt in some way that is absolutely rundisney's fault (like Darth Vader tripped him or something) and they realized that the volunteer didn't take his waiver, it wouldn't be pretty for anyone but our bank account.

I finally FINALLY found the info booth (people kept calling it different things, and mysteriously it was outside of the expo area) and 4 people just stared at me until 1 finally understood what I was talking about, and then very kindly offered to take it down for us, as we were turning to take it down. We must have asked 8 people, and 1 really got what we were saying, why we thought disney should be concerned, and even offered to help out.

During the run was when I experienced the string into space.

At the 5K security area, there were some people wearing full body, almost plush, costumes. There was a stormtrooper and maybe Capt Phasma, with body armor and layers and MASKS. I ended up seeing the latter two on the course, but I don't know if the other two got in. While someone was talking to them (all 4 were standing beyond the security area so at the time it looked like they were all being let through) I casually said "so much for no layered costumes" and the girl said "oh, are they not supposed to wear that sort of costume?" or something like that. ummm, yeahhhh, kind of a big deal change that security people should know about.

My volunteer experience was at WDW and I fabulously got assigned to work alongside a big group from a retirement village, and they volunteer for all WDW rundisney events. They were experts, they cared, they knew what they were doing, and it was just miles from the majority of the people I interacted with.

I think it shouldn't offend a caring volunteer to hear that there were some uncaring volunteers out there. It's not harsh against you, it's harsh against the people I encountered. I'm sure there were some powerade/water giver-outers at the January 5K 2014 who were staring into space even as I worked hard. Wouldn't bother me to hear it.

the folks who helped me were fantastic at making sure I understood what to do with my bag check sticker, to get my picture taken 20 feet behind where I was standing, and where to continue on my packet pickup journey

That's awesome. Glad for you. Obviously, from the post I was responding to, not everyone helped runners figure out what to do about the challenge. No one explained our bag check sticker. There was one overzealous volunteer who kind of yelled at me that I was in the wrong place *as I was reading* the signs to see where I should go. I was 5 feet from his table, was looking above his head to where they have "Half", "10K", etc, and the shirt sizes, and I wasn't needing help at all, but that's great, go ahead and tell me I'm in the wrong place. (or maybe help the people closer to you and ignore the people reading the signs who don't need your help).

a lady came up to me and asked why we got that shirt...we explained it's part of the registration. She said she wasn't told to go upstairs or pick up her shirt or anything!

And there's another who wasn't helped properly. Poor lady.

Interesting. That was included in the training. I heard the volunteers say it countless times. Appreciate the feedback!

A diligent, paying-attention, volunteer will hear that in training. Someone doing it to get the free ticket or shirt or whatever won't hear it or won't remember it. Can't make people pay attention, can't make people retain it!

I wasn't offended. If I honestly didn't want the feedback, I wouldn't have asked the question. I do know the volunteers upstairs wouldn't know about the waivers because they aren't trained in that area. All volunteers are specifically told not to make up answers or guess because people get upset. The people at the info booth upstairs are all cast members even though they have on volunteer shirts. To be honest, I have no idea what they are told. It is true that a lot of volunteers do it for the ticket. Professionalism and making a pleasant guest experience is discussed. I do know that we had a bunch of new volunteers (lots of young people) and the Florida volunteers are comprised of a lot of retirees. I am truly sorry you didn't have a good experience. I always send them my feedback, so I will pass along your comments. None of it will get better if we don't address it. Thanks!

I usually have great experiences with race volunteers. I've had some terrible experiences with volunteers at local races. I had my first bad experience with volunteers at the half this weekend. There was a group of 3 or 4 young volunteers goofing around at the water station. They were laughing and not paying attention to the runners. It was at the end of the last water table and I had missed all the previous volunteers passing out water because other runners got to it before me. One girl was holding a cup in her hand and I just grabbed it from her. She wasn't holding it out, I had to reach down to grab it because she was hunched over laughing. She did apologize when she realized runners needed water but she shouldn't have been screwing around in the first place. The other volunteers behind her weren't even holding out water cups because they were goofing around too. Just a couple bad eggs. All the other volunteers I encountered were helpful and supportive.

I usually have great experiences with race volunteers. I've had some terrible experiences with volunteers at local races. I had my first bad experience with volunteers at the half this weekend. There was a group of 3 or 4 young volunteers goofing around at the water station. They were laughing and not paying attention to the runners. It was at the end of the last water table and I had missed all the previous volunteers passing out water because other runners got to it before me. One girl was holding a cup in her hand and I just grabbed it from her. She wasn't holding it out, I had to reach down to grab it because she was hunched over laughing. She did apologize when she realized runners needed water but she shouldn't have been screwing around in the first place. The other volunteers behind her weren't even holding out water cups because they were goofing around too. Just a couple bad eggs. All the other volunteers I encountered were helpful and supportive.[/QUOTE

Ugh. Just like everywhere else, it is such a shame when a few people can make everyone else look bad. So many people started their shifts at the crack of dawn and worked really hard. The race just doesn't move forward without them.

Ugh. Just like everywhere else, it is such a shame when a few people can make everyone else look bad. So many people started their shifts at the crack of dawn and worked really hard. The race just doesn't move forward without them.

It is a shame. I would say 99% of the volunteers are amazing and go above and beyond to make the race awesome.

The vast majority of volunteers we encountered were great, though a few things stood out that I haven't noticed at other Disney races: 1) it was another runner who told us we needed our RC photos and where to do that; those manning the table didn't mention it, 2) they didn't collect my 9yo daughter's waiver -- she was walking away with it in hand, I noticed and went to turn it in, and 3) when they somehow forgot to place our RC pin bundle in my envelope of commemorative items, no one at the table knew what I had to do to actually get it, but they wanted me to sign for the commemorative items BEFORE I actually received them. There was no way I was doing that. ;)

I was glad I'd done a few of these and mostly knew the drill. It all got worked out, though, and we left happy campers. :)

I was glad I'd done a few of these and mostly knew the drill.

Yep.

By complaining about the iffy volunteers I'm not saying they were all bad. I thanked the good ones, I tried to teach a couple of the lackadaisical ones. I have no stand out positive moments of volunteers, but I had that feeling about most of the ones I encountered.

I feel that my tone is coming out even worse than normal and I apologize. I somehow hurt my neck yesterday and it has just ruined this last day and a half for me. We are in the taxi as I type and I am just now able to turn my head. It's been a long day and a half. :( I really have to start bringing my chiropractor on trips with me. :)

Yep.

By complaining about the iffy volunteers I'm not saying they were all bad. I thanked the good ones, I tried to teach a couple of the lackadaisical ones. I have no stand out positive moments of volunteers, but I had that feeling about most of the ones I encountered.

I feel that my tone is coming out even worse than normal and I apologize. I somehow hurt my neck yesterday and it has just ruined this last day and a half for me. We are in the taxi as I type and I am just now able to turn my head. It's been a long day and a half. :( I really have to start bringing my chiropractor on trips with me. :)
Ugh! Sorry you aren't feeling well. I was thinking of traveling with a masseuse. My legs are killing me.

Thank you Disneyland for a great race weekend. I had a great time, weather was good and course was flat. I felt great after 10k and half , actually for the first time after a half that I'm thinking I can do a full...(just for a second, LOL)

I'm really liking these DL races, smaller than WDW, walk to the corrals, lots of community support. The SW club was out in force showing their support, totally awesome!!

Another bib up on the wall, Kessel Challenge here i come!!

I must admit I LOVED just being able to walk from the hotel to the corrals!!! And with the time change coming from the east coast, that early start was no big deal. Just wish I could beam myself to Anaheim from here... ;)

I must admit I LOVED just being able to walk from the hotel to the corrals!!! And with the time change coming from the east coast, that early start was no big deal. Just wish I could beam myself to Anaheim from here... ;)

Yes! That was awesome! As much as I love the Disney World events, it was nice not having to catch a bus to the corrals...

I thought it was an awesome weekend overall! The expo, the courses, the crowds, the volunteers....just a fun fun weekend.

Expo: I got to the expo on Friday just past noon. I thought runDisney did a much better job this year on having enough race merchandise. Though the SW wine glass I wanted was gone (I managed to get one through a raffle though!) that was really the only thing sold out I think. They still had all the shirts, backpacks, jackets, hats...really almost everything. I even bought a jacket this year since they still had them in my size! I did have to wait in line to get into the official merchandise area but it wasn't more than 20 minutes I don't think. I really didn't hang out in the rest of the expo at all cause I was in a hurry (mom and kids were waiting on me for lunch). I wanted to stop by the Dr. Coolwraps booth as I've been eyeing those for awhile. Oh well. For Tink I'll be solo and plan to fully enjoy the expo.

Rebel Challenge: I loved loved loved the 10k course! So much park time. I was in Corral C for that one. Didn't stop for any character pics. Wanted BB8 but the line looked like it was an hour long. Later heard from a friend that she waited in it for 40 minutes. I'm just not fast enough for that kind of wait lol. The Half course was great as well I thought. I know some folks don't like the out and back portion but thats what I train on so I love out and backs. Gives me a chance to see the fast runners finishing up which is fun too. I was in Corral B for the Half and character lines were still long, but a bit shorter than the day before. My only complaint about both races is the bottle necks in a couple sections of the parks. But with that many runners its to be expected I guess. They cleared up quick enough though and since I run/walk anyway they really don't bother me. I didn't PR at either race but I did get rundisney PRs for myself so I'll take those as a win. DD had a blast at her last kids race too! I'm hoping DS will start doing them but so far he's not interested.

Corrals: I hated how the corrals were set up. Well, what I mean is I hated the way we had to walk past our corral to get to the security check point and then double back to get into the corrals. Definitely added some walking into my morning that I wasn't needing! I understand why they're doing it though so I shouldn't complain about it. But still, I was at 1.75 miles by the time I made it to my corral and I was staying at Stovalls!

Parks: We enjoyed our in park time on Fri/Sat/Sun. Can't believe we got to see Elton John on Friday night! Actually waiting to see him was pretty hard on my legs. I paid for it in my race times and I knew that was gonna happen but I couldn't pass up the chance to see him! That was magical to say the least! I felt the crowds were fine on Friday, little more crowded on Saturday but still manageable (but then again I was back at my room by 2 that day) and Sunday evening felt super crowded to me.

Can't believe we got to see Elton John on Friday night! Actually waiting to see him was pretty hard on my legs. I paid for it in my race times and I knew that was gonna happen but I couldn't pass up the chance to see him!

Didn't see Elton, but I know what you mean about time on your feet and paying for it -- ours was time in the parks, as we hadn't been to DL in 15yrs. Between my FitBit to measure walking and my Runkeeper app to measure running, from Jan 14 through Jan 18, I walked 41 miles and ran 22.4mi (5K + 10K + half + a bit of swerving!)!! Whew!!

Expo: I got to the expo on Friday just past noon. I thought runDisney did a much better job this year on having enough race merchandise. Though the SW wine glass I wanted was gone (I managed to get one through a raffle though!) that was really the only thing sold out I think. They still had all the shirts, backpacks, jackets, hats...really almost everything. I even bought a jacket this year since they still had them in my size! I did have to wait in line to get into the official merchandise area but it wasn't more than 20 minutes I don't think. I really didn't hang out in the rest of the expo at all cause I was in a hurry (mom and kids were waiting on me for lunch). I wanted to stop by the Dr. Coolwraps booth as I've been eyeing those for awhile. Oh well. For Tink I'll be solo and plan to fully enjoy the expo.

They must've restocked right after you left. I got to the expo at 2pm and there were full shelves of wine glasses.

What's this about Elton John? was he in DL?

Didn't see Elton, but I know what you mean about time on your feet and paying for it -- ours was time in the parks, as we hadn't been to DL in 15yrs. Between my FitBit to measure walking and my Runkeeper app to measure running, from Jan 14 through Jan 18, I walked 41 miles and ran 22.4mi (5K + 10K + half + a bit of swerving!)!! Whew!!

Yes! It was definitely an impressive fitbit weekend! I earned lots of new badges!

What's this about Elton John? was he in DL?
Yes! Friday night he played a couple songs in front of the Castle for the ABC special they were taping! I didn't know he was gonna be there until a few hours before it happened and we happened to have seats in a decent spot cause we were waiting for the parade anyway! Watching Elton John perform The Circle of Life in front of Sleeping Beautys Castle in Disneyland is pretty much one of the coolest Disney fan moments of my life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter