• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

I'm from MN and the 45 degree temps sound very pleasant. It was around 15 degrees a couple weeks ago at our local Polar Dash and lots of people were in shorts. I think those people are crazy...but whatever. 45 won't be bad, as long as I can wear a sweatshirt while waiting for it to start!

45 is long sleeve weather for me here at home but I find socal to have more humidity than I'm used to so I always feel warmer than it really is. I'm planning on wearing short sleeves for the 10k and half. The 10k will be my trail race, if I'm too cold for that one I might switch to long sleeve for the half. We'll see. I ordered some mylar blankets from amazon and plan on using those in the corral until start time. I'll probably wear cheapie gloves at the start also and toss em when I warm up.

Yeah this last few weeks I have been running in -3 ish (25f) so am looking forward to running in this heat wave ;)

Yeah this last few weeks I have been running in -3 ish (25f) so am looking forward to running in this heat wave ;)

Oh you Canadians. ;) (we were just up in Vancouver!)

DH bought himself a Rebel symbol shirt and got DS a Boba Fett shirt. So they are good. I still think I'm going as a runner. If I were doing the 5K with them it would be easier to just wear some cute SW tank top, but I sweat too much to chance it with the 10K.

Yeah. We got there at 3, were assigned our stations around 3:30, and then went over and set up the whole thing. Tables, then opened all the HUGE pallets of waters and Powerade, then set them all out. If you noticed that certain colors were on certain sides, that's because we all got a little competitive and protective of whatever color we wanted on our tables. :) Once we got it all set up, we ran and hid inside that tent. There were plenty more volunteers that had no place to hide; we got very very lucky in where we were assigned, that we were right there.

I hope Disney never makes the mistake again of keeping those mylars to themselves. Though, I will tell you, that I have gotten ONE at a disney event at the end. They never have them out by the time I finish, and I gotta tell ya, I'm so wiped out at the end of a half (especially) and I've been out SO long, that I truly need one. At the end of TOT 2013, when it was in the 80s, my lips were turning blue because I, on the inside, was so cold. So it doesn't surprise me that they weren't giving them out, but I think they should give them out when people need them.

Gosh, even when I had Race Retreat for my first Half, at the January event in 2014, the Retreat didn't have them UNLESS you were paying for a massage. Lovely. A 2 cent item, I'd paid *how much?*, and I had to pay more (and be all sweaty on a table with someone touching me YUCK) to get it.

When I finished, my normal turtle-style, Rock&Roll Vancouver half in October, and they had TONS of them, I was so happy. :)

Yikes! So awesome of you to volunteer!!

The ToT in 2013 was THE FIRST long race I did!! I remember being quite warm, and had practically melted in the humidity that morning for the 5K! Lol!

Yeah... Even just buying the mylars on Amazon they are only about $1 each -- so worth it. I'd be too embarrassed to tell you how much I would have paid for one at last year's WDW 5K!!!!! ;)

There's a windshield of -25*F in Minnesota today (-7*F without the wind). CANNOT WAIT to be in CA tomorrow!!!

OMG! I wouldn't even step foot outside! I probably wouldn't even get out of bed! We had a "freeze" in November and it was 31 when I was starting our local Turkey Trot. Thought I was gonna die! I don't know how your northerners do it!

OMG! I wouldn't even step foot outside! I probably wouldn't even get out of bed! We had a "freeze" in November and it was 31 when I was starting our local Turkey Trot. Thought I was gonna die! I don't know how your northerners do it!
It's absolutely terrible, in my opinion. They usually don't even cancel school around here till the windshield is -40* - -50* even though it literally HURTS to be outside - and it's very dangerous! No idea how I've survived here my entire life...We are finally planning to move south in a few months. :)

I hear ya'! I grew up in Montreal, though... Would have had to stay inside a good part of the year!! ;)

One word... layers!! Of course, I picked up and moved south 20 years ago. I actually find the technology in the running gear now is amazing at being lightweight and great with wind, wet, and cold.

One word... layers!! Of course, I picked up and moved south 20 years ago. I actually find the technology in the running gear now is amazing at being lightweight and great with wind, wet, and cold.
To me, it's more an issue wrt snow and ice... I can bundle up and deal with low temps... if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO... but won't run on awful terrain -- too worried about falling!

Now you all have me second guessing my planned attire (capris and long sleeve wine & dine shirt). I did Tink in 2014 (same weekend as star wars is now) and I wore capris and a long sleeve running shirt and was fine. It was still dark, and I believe the temps were in the mid-40s.... Forecast now shows perhaps 48 around race time (I'm running Saturday's 10k). At home at 50-55, I'm down to a tank top with my capris, but it's not usually dark and the temps are usually rising, not dropping (at 5:30 the temps will still be dropping on race mornings). I'm running the 10k, so I figure I might even be done before sunrise, and I might be able to deal with the little extra warmth for 6 miles... (definitely different strategy for a half).

So now I might wear a tank top under the shirt... just in case.

Too bad I didn't follow through with my Rey costume - a tank and arm warmers would probably have worked well. I just ran out of time....

I HATE weather anxiety for races. To me it's worse than the actual training.

We saved the runDisney mylar blankets from the Avengers race and brought them back for the 10k. So far it doesn't feel as cold as November but we will see on race day.

Yeah! Last day of work before we leave! And I still have to pack of course....

Hoping to see official race shirts today.... (And hoping for a slightly different color scheme than the I did it ones - tomato red does this redhead no favors).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter