• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

I'm curious to hear from anyone who ran last year what the experience was in the A corral at the start. I have been lucky enough in all my recent runDisney events they have been using the small corrals (500 or so runners) up to D and there has never been much congestion. The Star Wars corral A will span almost an hour of finishers and 2,600 runners and the paths through DL tend to be tight. Did the corral self sort or was it mixed up and sorted itself on course?

I'm curious to hear from anyone who ran last year what the experience was in the A corral at the start. I have been lucky enough in all my recent runDisney events they have been using the small corrals (500 or so runners) up to D and there has never been much congestion. The Star Wars corral A will span almost an hour of finishers and 2,600 runners and the paths through DL tend to be tight. Did the corral self sort or was it mixed up and sorted itself on course?

Great question... I'm interested in the answer as well!

Does anyone know if the 10K corrals have been assigned? I'm in corral A for the RC but my fiance is running just the 10K. I'm planning to move back corrals if necessary to run with him for the 10K, just hoping he wasn't placed too far back. His bib # is 32396.

Does anyone know if the 10K corrals have been assigned? I'm in corral A for the RC but my fiance is running just the 10K. I'm planning to move back corrals if necessary to run with him for the 10K, just hoping he wasn't placed too far back. His bib # is 32396.
I was also wondering this. It's my first runDisney event and I have my bib numbers, but haven't figured out what corrals I am in for the 5 and 10k. Do we find that out when we pick up our stuff?

Gosh, I could be totally wrong here but I thought last year I found out my corral for the 10k when I picked up my bib.

I have not been able to find the corrals for this years 10K, as I am trying to figure out where my wife and son will be (both #s around 32600). Based on last years corrals his bib number would place somewhere between C & D.

Looks like it'll probably be in the upper 40s during the runs. That's right in the grey area between short sleeves and long sleeves for me. Personally I'd rather be a little cold than a little warm so I'm leaning toward short sleeves, but I'm really not sure what to expect from the Anaheim weather. Any suggestions?

Looks like it'll probably be in the upper 40s during the runs. That's right in the grey area between short sleeves and long sleeves for me. Personally I'd rather be a little cold than a little warm so I'm leaning toward short sleeves, but I'm really not sure what to expect from the Anaheim weather. Any suggestions?

I'm with you. Hate being too hot so I'll go with short sleeves. I often tie a long sleeve top layer around my waist just in case. Lightweight and doesn't bug me. :)

I've been debating sleeves too. I usually prefer long for anything below 55 or so. Right now, I'm going with the lightest long-sleeve shirt I have for the 5k to see how it goes. Then I'll pick between short and long for the half. I'm overpacking a bit, but I think it's worth it.

I'll be wearing a tank top plus running skirt. Probably will have one of those mylar blankets in the corrals for the 10K + Half and will lose it when the race starts up.

Probably will have one of those mylar blankets in the corrals for the 10K + Half and will lose it when the race starts up.

I bought these as well this time, after FREEZING at the WDW Marathon Wknd 5K last year -- LITERALLY it was freezing. Insane.

I bought these as well this time, after FREEZING at the WDW Marathon Wknd 5K last year -- LITERALLY it was freezing. Insane.

It was indeed. I was volunteering that morning. Got to be there at 3! (I was stationed at the very last water/powerade station after medals etc) But while all of you were shivering and making best friends with the 1000 closest people (my husband and son were out there), we were hiding out, until the start, in the medical tent.

Which, by the way, was where they were hiding all the rolls of mylar blankets, refusing to give them to the runners. Boo.

(Thankfully they smartened up, so I heard, for the Princess 5K, which was even colder. They had heaters and they handed out the mylars.)

Helpful hint; those things mess with the timing chip, so if you have one on at the start for a timed race, take it off before the start line!

It was indeed. I was volunteering that morning. Got to be there at 3! (I was stationed at the very last water/powerade station after medals etc) But while all of you were shivering and making best friends with the 1000 closest people (my husband and son were out there), we were hiding out, until the start, in the medical tent.

Which, by the way, was where they were hiding all the rolls of mylar blankets, refusing to give them to the runners. Boo.

(Thankfully they smartened up, so I heard, for the Princess 5K, which was even colder. They had heaters and they handed out the mylars.)

Helpful hint; those things mess with the timing chip, so if you have one on at the start for a timed race, take it off before the start line!
OMG!!! So glad you guys had some spot to get a bit warmer -- that was CRAZY! Honestly, we couldn't believe that they didn't come around with those blankets -- glad they changed that, but I'll still always bring my own from now on just in case!!!

I wore long sleeve compression shirts for Avengers and I felt good throughout he races. The sun doesn't come up until 7 which could be a good portion of the race (if I'm meeting my goal pace ) so I'm planning to wear long sleeves again for this one!

OMG!!! So glad you guys had some spot to get a bit warmer -- that was CRAZY! Honestly, we couldn't believe that they didn't come around with those blankets -- glad they changed that, but I'll still always bring my own from now on just in case!!!

Yeah. We got there at 3, were assigned our stations around 3:30, and then went over and set up the whole thing. Tables, then opened all the HUGE pallets of waters and Powerade, then set them all out. If you noticed that certain colors were on certain sides, that's because we all got a little competitive and protective of whatever color we wanted on our tables. :) Once we got it all set up, we ran and hid inside that tent. There were plenty more volunteers that had no place to hide; we got very very lucky in where we were assigned, that we were right there.

I hope Disney never makes the mistake again of keeping those mylars to themselves. Though, I will tell you, that I have gotten ONE at a disney event at the end. They never have them out by the time I finish, and I gotta tell ya, I'm so wiped out at the end of a half (especially) and I've been out SO long, that I truly need one. At the end of TOT 2013, when it was in the 80s, my lips were turning blue because I, on the inside, was so cold. So it doesn't surprise me that they weren't giving them out, but I think they should give them out when people need them.

Gosh, even when I had Race Retreat for my first Half, at the January event in 2014, the Retreat didn't have them UNLESS you were paying for a massage. Lovely. A 2 cent item, I'd paid *how much?*, and I had to pay more (and be all sweaty on a table with someone touching me YUCK) to get it.

When I finished, my normal turtle-style, Rock&Roll Vancouver half in October, and they had TONS of them, I was so happy. :)

Can you wear sweats and ditch them at the starting line? Many of our local races encourage people to do that since the abandoned sweats are donated to charity. I can't remember if I've seen anything about that at the Disney races.

I've been debating sleeves too. I usually prefer long for anything below 55 or so. Right now, I'm going with the lightest long-sleeve shirt I have for the 5k to see how it goes. Then I'll pick between short and long for the half. I'm overpacking a bit, but I think it's worth it.
I think I am going to go short sleeve. I know that if I wear a long sleeve shirt and it gets warm I start pushing the sleeves up and it drives me nuts.

Some people mentioned compression sleeves. I might possibly go old school. Cut the toes out of a pair of calf length gym socks. If it gets too hot, take them off and thrown them away. I also may take an old sweatshirt to wear in the corral if I think it will be chilly. Every runDisney I have participated in has always collected the clothes discarded in the corrals for charity.

I live in the area and will be wearing compression running tights and a short sleeve. It will be chilly until about mile 1 then will feel good the rest of the way. Even then, it's not an unbearable chill. =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter