Official SHADES OF GREEN Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
so explain? Which restaurants are open and which are closed?

There were 3 before:
Manginos
Garden Gallery
Evergreens

The website now only lists Manginos and Garden Gallery. Evergreens is no longer listed on the SOG website, but yesterday someone posted that it was still open.

So, which is it?? I"m so confused now.

For those of you who are interested, there is a public transportation bus that goes from TTC to the airport and vice versa. The link to the thread were I found the information is below. I believe the OP said it was like $2 and takes about 70mins. It stops at FL mall on the way. Certainly a great cost effective alternative for those who need it, probably not for those with littles ones. Although had I known about this a few years ago when we stayed at SOG I would have used it with my little ones to save the $ from the rental car that sat in the parking garage the whole time we where there. I'm not one to drive to the parks.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2084827

It's been a while since I've read thru this thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned before.

We loved the bus system! I loved how friendly the drivers were...They were especially great with the folks using the scooters ...they boarded first...The buses have a ramp that the driver extends out electronically....you drive up and your ready to roll! most seemed to transfer to a seat and the driver would secure the vehicle. .

Thanks for the information. It helps to know they are patient with those who have additional needs on the busses.

We were sad ...very sad that Manginos closed...seems that the staff really misses the fine dining as well! The menu in Manginos is basically the Evergreens menu with a couple italian specialties. We ate there and really were not impressed and we had poor service that night...but I think it is the waitress is trying to transition to the different menu and apparently they are busier with the evergreens menu!

I am not quite understanding your report. Everyone kept saying Evergreens was closing, but would basically share the space that Mangino's does. This seems to be your description, but you say it is actually Mangino's that closed and the Evergreens menu contains a few Mangino's dishes. So, are we to understand that Mangino's location is now called Evergreens?

Either way, I just don't see how you can mix a kitchen with 2 widely different cuisines unless you were dumbing down the recipes of the Italian dishes. From the way another guest described the chef of Mangino's, I doubt he would have accepted sharing a kitchen with a fast food joint.

Daisy1234
Do you have any details about the current renovation in the old wing?

My first few questions are also about the construction in the old section since that is where we are staying (pool room). Maybe I am just not understanding it right, but the last poster with a copy of the notification on the door left me confused :confused: .

1) I know they are doing renovation of the rooms. Does this mean the rooms have been gutted, or are they just redoing the bathrooms.....what exactly does this renovation consist of? I am also wondering (depending on how specific they are working) if they are removing the partitions in the rooms. I really like those as opposed to the new section. It gives the room a more "suite" feel. Are they replacing carpeting, furniture, etc as they go or are they replacing all that at the end of August?

2) What is their estimated finish date for the rooms in the old section?

3) The other poster's notice seemed to indicate replacement of furniture, carpeting, etc toward the end of August. There was mention of the hallways. Again, I am confused. Does this mean that by that time the rooms will be completed and then they will then focus on the stuff in the hallways, or does this mean that at that time they will be replacing all the old furniture and carpeting in the rooms as well. Just trying to get an idea of how finished the rooms will be and how much dust and noise we will encounter during our stay. What I request has a lot to do with the progress/location of the renovation. We will be at SOG August 7-16.

4) Are all their busses capable of transporting an ECV? If not, what is the rotation of accessibility?

5) Is there any talk of putting microwaves in the rooms in the future or the possibility of renting one?

Thanks a bunch for checking on these things for us!

I am copying the questions and adding them to my travel book. 7 more days to wait!!!!

To clear up the confusion....Evergreens was open as of last week! BUT...it is closing!!!!! They will put a spa in its place. Manginos....willl be called Manginos BUT no longer is a fine dining restaurant. The menu has totally changed...basically the Evergreens menu but for dinner they have added some maybe 3 italian dishes! Sort of a combo menu...obviously the staff is disappointed...whne you make fine dining fast food the average check amount decreases and they will be running to fill cokes all night rather than a relaxed...may I pour you some more wine! Anyway...hope this helps! Garden Gallery is still the same...that is the buffet restaurant! Also, we were in the new section and have no idea about the renovation in the old section!

Is there anything else that I need to consider tipping for besides housekeeping, bell staff, and wait staff?

Also, is the Palm section considered the "new" section?

Thanks!

I am copying the questions and adding them to my travel book. 7 more days to wait!!!!

With all of the changes (Evergreens/Manginos) the menus on allears.net are out of date. If it is possible, could you obtain a photocopy of the menu of the new restaurant. (Whatever they are calling it.)

I'd like to see a copy of the menu too! Does anyone know if you can get takeout from the "new" restaurant to take over to the pool?

With all of the changes (Evergreens/Manginos) the menus on allears.net are out of date. If it is possible, could you obtain a photocopy of the menu of the new restaurant. (Whatever they are calling it.)

I was just thinking the same thing. Thanks for asking. Interested to see what the prices will be for both the Evergreens stuff and the Manginos stuff. Of course, things can change in a blink of an eye, but nice to keep track as it happens.

Does anyone know this -

last time we were on the first floor in the old section. We loved that we had the outside seating area - espeically since we had multiple families, we coudl sit outside at night as the kids were falling asleep and we could meet up with our families. If I'm looking at a map, we were around the area of 181 / 183 We also had a very serene view (lots of trees, wild turkeys lol, very quiet)
We were nice and close to the lobby too. The only problem was the distance to the pool - but since it was winter we didnt' worry too much.It just seemed very confusing to get to the pool.

So my question is this - if we requested the new section, are the first floor rooms similiar - do they all have a little outside seating area? I understand the benefit of a higher room - with a balcony - but because there are many of us in 3 rooms it's actually like all having connecting roms to have the outside access.

Does anyone know this - what the first floor rooms are like in the new section????

- if we requested the new section, are the first floor rooms similiar - do they all have a little outside seating area? I understand the benefit of a higher room - with a balcony - but because there are many of us in 3 rooms it's actually like all having connecting roms to have the outside access.

Does anyone know this - what the first floor rooms are like in the new section????

Yes, the new section has patio's as well.

do you know what the view is like - especially if we were to end up on the back side of the building...??

(never mind, just google earth'd it and it looks like the back of the building looks out onto a golf course...nice...)

Is there anything else that I need to consider tipping for besides housekeeping, bell staff, and wait staff?

Also, is the Palm section considered the "new" section?

Thanks!

Not to start a flame war, or anything...

While tipping bell/wait staff is appropriate, it is good to remember that the housekeepers employed by SoG are all non-appropriated funds employees of the U.S. Army (meaning their pay, like all of the money moving-around SoG does not come from taxpayer dollars, but rather from revenue/profits generated at SoG).

That said, the SoG housekeepers all earn a better-than-average wage, and tipping with Mousekeeper envelopes isn't necessary.

On StitchKingdom I read about a new Family Technology Center sponsored by Raytheon Corp. that opened up at SOG on Wednesday. It's a gameroom with plasma tvs, computers, Wii, XBox and plush couches. There's nothing on the SOG website about it yet, but did notice Evergreen's is no longer listed. Wonder where it's located. If anyone is going soon, I'm sure we'd all appreciate feedback about it. Sounds like a fun spot.

Not to start a flame war, or anything...

While tipping bell/wait staff is appropriate, it is good to remember that the housekeepers employed by SoG are all non-appropriated funds employees of the U.S. Army (meaning their pay, like all of the money moving-around SoG does not come from taxpayer dollars, but rather from revenue/profits generated at SoG).

That said, the SoG housekeepers all earn a better-than-average wage, and tipping with Mousekeeper envelopes isn't necessary.

No flames from me. I used to work as a housekeeper (even 20 years ago we made several dollars more than minimum wage) for several chain hotels and I never tip housekeeping and never will. If you want to do something nice for them worth much more than a few bucks, tell them to skip your room for the day.

do you know what the view is like - especially if we were to end up on the back side of the building...??

(never mind, just google earth'd it and it looks like the back of the building looks out onto a golf course...nice...)

We were at SOG in November and had a view of the golf course in the new section. It was very beautiful and quiet. If someone can tell me how to add a picture, I can show you the view from our room.

you would upload your picture to a photo host like Photobucket.com and then use the links provided there, and paste that link here. :)

I'd love to see your pic! I was thinking (and I know I'm overthinking) that staying on the golf course side would be nice because it's not facing west - so in the afternoons there would be shade....

Could you tell me what room you were in? And how long do you estimate that it took you to get from 1)your room to the buses 2)your room to the pool area

Thanks for any help you have. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter