*OFFICIAL* July 2010 Thread! It’s Hot. It’s Crowded. AND WE LOVE IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How lucky is that!! Sounds like some great bargains. BTW - my brother lives in Lewisville TX!

We are in Denton Texas - just 10 minutes away! They had some amazing deals at this sale - going back again next week after they get a new shipment in. we will be decked out in our Disney finest walking into the park in about 67 days!!!! Yay!!!!!

I have a question for you Disney Vets out there - my Father In law had one of his lungs removed 4 months ago and I am so happy to report he is healthy enough to join us for our family adventure to WDW. :cheer2:

I am obviously going to be needing a wheel chair to help him take rests and breaks from walking and the heat - knowing how crowded it will be in July should we rent a chair privately in Orlando or will be ok getting a chair from the parks every morning?

Our plan is to be there before RD on the days we are going. What does the group think?

I appreciate your opinions and advise.

I would advise having one rented ahead of time. If you don't then he will have to walk to and from the bus stops and also all the walking that could be involved at the resort. If you rent it ahead of time it is my understanding that it will be waiting for you at the resort when you check in. That way you would have it the entire time. Hope that helps.

I have a question for you Disney Vets out there - my Father In law had one of his lungs removed 4 months ago and I am so happy to report he is healthy enough to join us for our family adventure to WDW. :cheer2:

I am obviously going to be needing a wheel chair to help him take rests and breaks from walking and the heat - knowing how crowded it will be in July should we rent a chair privately in Orlando or will be ok getting a chair from the parks every morning?

Our plan is to be there before RD on the days we are going. What does the group think?

I appreciate your opinions and advise.
Congrats. I am happy for you that he can join you. :goodvibes
I think you probably want to have one to use in the parking lot, etc. I don't have experience with this, but you probably can get one that folds to have at your resort, downtown disney and the boardwalk. Also, it is probably cheaper to rent for the week instead of daily. (Of course, my commando self says that it will take time to get one arriving at each park.) You might want to post this as a thread on one of the other boards. More people with experience could give you additional feedback.
Deb

We'll be doing our first trip ever to WDW from 7/9 - 23. Staying at the Contemporary. Mom, Dad and two DDs 7 and 9. First hurdle is the 13 hour travel time. We get into MCO at 2:00 pm so hope our rooms will be ready. Getting prepared for large crowds and hot/humid weather but otherwise a fun trip. Any tips/suggestions are welcome for the WDW newbie.

Aloha,
Ho'okani

We'll be doing our first trip ever to WDW from 7/9 - 23. Staying at the Contemporary. Mom, Dad and two DDs 7 and 9. First hurdle is the 13 hour travel time. We get into MCO at 2:00 pm so hope our rooms will be ready. Getting prepared for large crowds and hot/humid weather but otherwise a fun trip. Any tips/suggestions are welcome for the WDW newbie.

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Welcome. :cheer2:. Glad you found the July thread- WONDERFUL people here to help you!

Our first visit was only a 2-1/2 hour plane ride. We pushed our DDs (6-1/2) too much. Biggest suggestion is to have a very relaxed first day (maybe second day based on your travel). Swim at the pool. If you go to the MK, make a plan to do one or two rides (FP), get a snack and go back to resort.

My daughters (who swam nearly every day of the summer before our Aug trip) kept saying can we go back and swim now? Don't get me wrong. They had a blast and LOVED the rides, but something about those pools call many children away from the parks!

I have a list on my PTR (link below) that I prepared for a friend taking a first trip. If you scan the first page, you can find a link and not have to read the whole report. (But, you are certainly invited to join if you are interested; I'd love to have you along asking questions, offering input. :flower3:)

Debby

We are in Denton Texas - just 10 minutes away! They had some amazing deals at this sale - going back again next week after they get a new shipment in. we will be decked out in our Disney finest walking into the park in about 67 days!!!! Yay!!!!!

I wish they would have that sale in Pittsburgh!!

83 days until we arrive at WDW!! But only 78 until we leave for vacation!!!!! YAY!!!!!

:cool1: We are getting closer!!

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Welcome!!! I have added you to the list on page 80. We are staying at the CR too at the beginning of our trip- but will be moving over to AS Sports on July 6. You will love the CR - it is very convenient to MK. Debby gave you some good advice - don't overdo the first day. Luckily, it is a short monorail ride over to MK if you and/or the kids get motivated to go! Take advantage of EMH when you can - and take afternoon breaks- they really rejuvenate you in the summer heat. Ask questions! There are lots of experts on this board!!

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Welcome! So exciting to be getting ready for your first trip! 13 hour flight? Yikes! When I was younger we lived in Australia and flew back to Montreal several times a year to visit family, so I totally understand about the long haul! You're going to be really tired, so I def would keep that first day low-key. It's awesome that you planned a nice long vacation though!!! :woohoo:

Pardon the interuption..Please wake me up when it's July, thank you. :cool1:

We changed our travel plans a bit (doesn't change the dates though).

We are going to drive down from Northern Virginia to WDW but on the way back we are going to take the Autotrain from Sanford, FL.

For those of you who don't know, the Autotrain is run by Amtrak and goes from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL and back again. Leaves around 4pm and arrives around 9:30am and allows you to take your vehicle along with you. You get 2 decent meals, a movies, snacks and can choose either various size rooms or coach seats (which are supposed to be similar to first class seats on a plane).

I know that the end of a trip is always a major bummer for me, but this time I will be ok with it! I know my daughters will be so much happier on the train, instead of cooped up in our truck.

Anyone else on here ever take the autotrain?

I feel like I'm so disconnected from this thread lately. So much on my mind. The hospital that DH works for (he does billing) is closing...therefore it's only a matter of time before his last day. He's just waiting for the word.

As if that's not bad enough, the NJ education system is so screwy right now and my district's budget did not pass on Tuesday. That means they have to make cuts and although I've been there for 4 years, I do not have "tenure" and they told us today that all non-tenured teachers will get "pink-slips." That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to lose my job, they just have to do that because at this point, they don't know how many cuts they will have to make so they have to cover themselves.

I have just been a mess with everything that's going on and in all my thinking, my disney trip keeps popping up at the end....what if we can't go?!

Sorry to be such a Disney Downer! I'm like that skit on SNL when they are all in Disney and the one woman just talks about all these awful things! (Anyone ever see that one? Funny!)

Anyway, just had to vent....nothing I can do but wait and see....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter