Official Dopey 2018 Thread

No it wasn't, but I will have to check those ones out, thanks. The current ice storm we are having has definitely brought the game indoors and I really like watching actual race footage while on the treadmill. The sudo virtual reality seems to make the long indoor runs alot more tolerable.

I love to watch runDisney videos on the treadmill- makes time go by way faster for me (vs watching movies/tv.) I like RezRuns and Lee Hoeld's stuff a lot. There's also a ride-along video where a wheelchair competitor strapped a go pro to his chair and complied all the footage- that one's great too!

How's everyone else's training going?

I felt a little defeated Thanksgiving weekend with my training. I'm following Galloway plan. For Thanksgiving weekend he had 45 mins Thurs, 4 mile (walk) Fri, 10 mile (walk) Sat and 23 miles Sun. Did a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, Friday I considered shopping my training, Sat 10 mile run and Sun only got in 13 miles. Went out and felt great up to mile 7.5 and then my hamstring and knee started hurting pretty bad so I called it quits.

I have another mock-Dopey in 2 weeks so I'm hoping that goes better then Thanksgivings. This weekend is just 8 miles.

I really wanted to get the runs in Thanksgiving weekend to build my confidence, so that's why I feel defeated. But I did 8.5 miles on Nov 4th and 20 miles on Nov 5th both at the times I wanted and I felt great after both runs so that is what is keeping me going. Also Galloway's plan has you doing the Sat training as a walk. No way am I spending that much time walking. So the Nov 4th 8.5 miles and Nov 25th 10 miles were both supposed to be walks but I ran those.

Hope everyone else is feeling good in their training!

I felt a little defeated Thanksgiving weekend with my training. I'm following Galloway plan. For Thanksgiving weekend he had 45 mins Thurs, 4 mile (walk) Fri, 10 mile (walk) Sat and 23 miles Sun. Did a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, Friday I considered shopping my training, Sat 10 mile run and Sun only got in 13 miles. Went out and felt great up to mile 7.5 and then my hamstring and knee started hurting pretty bad so I called it quits.

I have another mock-Dopey in 2 weeks so I'm hoping that goes better then Thanksgivings. This weekend is just 8 miles.

I really wanted to get the runs in Thanksgiving weekend to build my confidence, so that's why I feel defeated. But I did 8.5 miles on Nov 4th and 20 miles on Nov 5th both at the times I wanted and I felt great after both runs so that is what is keeping me going. Also Galloway's plan has you doing the Sat training as a walk. No way am I spending that much time walking. So the Nov 4th 8.5 miles and Nov 25th 10 miles were both supposed to be walks but I ran those.

I'm not a Galloway expert by any stretch, but have you considered that by converting the prescribed Saturday walks into runs you may be overworking your legs on those runs and not having enough left in them for the long Sunday runs? I know it's a lot of time to get that kind of mileage in walking, but you might want to bite the bullet and try it to see if it makes a difference.

ETA: Don't take it as a defeat. Everyone has a few bad runs during training cycles this long. If you can analyze the circumstances and find a root cause, adjust for it. If not, keep to it and see if it was an isolated incident that irons itself out.

I'm not a Galloway expert by any stretch, but have you considered that by converting the prescribed Saturday walks into runs you may be overworking your legs on those runs and not having enough left in them for the long Sunday runs? I know it's a lot of time to get that kind of mileage in walking, but you might want to bite the bullet and try it to see if it makes a difference.

ETA: Don't take it as a defeat. Everyone has a few bad runs during training cycles this long. If you can analyze the circumstances and find a root cause, adjust for it. If not, keep to it and see if it was an isolated incident that irons itself out.

I considered that about how maybe I should be walking but I also had the thought I want to be able to run them on race day so train that way. The Thanksgiving weekend run, I did push it on the 10 miles. I told myself a goal for that run, which ended up being my training run-pace PR. That is probably the cause! I also ordered a pair of the CWX Stablix running tights to help with the areas that were hurting.

I considered that about how maybe I should be walking but I also had the thought I want to be able to run them on race day so train that way. The Thanksgiving weekend run, I did push it on the 10 miles. I told myself a goal for that run, which ended up being my training run-pace PR. That is probably the cause! I also ordered a pair of the CWX Stablix running tights to help with the areas that were hurting.

Have you been following the Galloway LR pace (Current Fitness Marathon pace + 2 minutes) then for most of the runs you've been doing instead of walking? I find this to be a critical step in the training process. A common pitfall in training is to feel as if to be able to PR on race day that all runs need to be run near race pace. But I've found a healthy dose of relatively slow running is extremely beneficial in improvement and avoiding injuries, overtraining or too much fatigue.

Have you been following the Galloway LR pace (Current Fitness Marathon pace + 2 minutes) then for most of the runs you've been doing instead of walking? I find this to be a critical step in the training process. A common pitfall in training is to feel as if to be able to PR on race day that all runs need to be run near race pace. But I've found a healthy dose of relatively slow running is extremely beneficial in improvement and avoiding injuries, overtraining or too much fatigue.

I was following the 2 mins slower then race day for the weekend when I did the 8.5 on Sat and 20 on Sun and felt great after each. So that much be the key. Slower 'er down a bit. Yes I have that mentality that if I want to do a good race, I need to train at race speed. With Disney, I know I will never get a PR as I walk a lot to take in the scenery, stop for characters, etc. So I need to remember that and it's more of a get through it feeling good. I'm going to go back to my 2 mins per mile slower pace in a couple weekends when I do the mock Dopey. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

New to the boards, but not to running Disney. It was a Disney run that marked my first half ever. I’ve done challenges, Coast-to-Coast, and the Kessel Run. I’ve also done Ragnar relays. I felt like the 25th year was the time to try going full Dopey. It’ll be my first marathon. But, if there is a marathon I thought I’d enjoy, I felt Disney World was the one. Had someone recently bail on me, so I had to book a room by myself last minute, but AAA got me into the Best Western next door that has a shuttle at 3:30/4:00am to the race. No meal plan, but I did get the park hopper pass with the on-property discount. I usually go with others, so I hope it’s not abnormal going to do this by yourself. I now have all of a month to figure out what my solo park plans are now gonna be. I want to be excited, but now I’m honestly a little nervous. I’m also logging my 40-50 miles a week, but my longest runs have been 15, 18, and 19 miles. I find it’s a little hard when you to Dopey train while you have other half-marathons and race days at the same time. Haven’t really been able to 100% follow any plan. Any advice for a solo marathoner with anxiety would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

~Nicole

Hello Everyone,

New to the boards, but not to running Disney. It was a Disney run that marked my first half ever. I’ve done challenges, Coast-to-Coast, and the Kessel Run. I’ve also done Ragnar relays. I felt like the 25th year was the time to try going full Dopey. It’ll be my first marathon. But, if there is a marathon I thought I’d enjoy, I felt Disney World was the one. Had someone recently bail on me, so I had to book a room by myself last minute, but AAA got me into the Best Western next door that has a shuttle at 3:30/4:00am to the race. No meal plan, but I did get the park hopper pass with the on-property discount. I usually go with others, so I hope it’s not abnormal going to do this by yourself. I now have all of a month to figure out what my solo park plans are now gonna be. I want to be excited, but now I’m honestly a little nervous. I’m also logging my 40-50 miles a week, but my longest runs have been 15, 18, and 19 miles. I find it’s a little hard when you to Dopey train while you have other half-marathons and race days at the same time. Haven’t really been able to 100% follow any plan. Any advice for a solo marathoner with anxiety would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

~Nicole
I’ve never done WDW race weekends solo, but I solo’d the DL half weekend. My biggest issue was that without family I didn’t have anyone to slow me down. I got so excited doing all the things that I probably pushed it to hard and I forgot to eat.

So one piece of advice would be to slow down.

You might be able to find people on this board to share food/ a few drinks with. Also groups like Mickey Miles often do meet ups and you can use those to catch up with people.

If you don’t want to just eat quick service I might also try eating in some of the lounges if I wanted a nicer meal and was alone.

Hello Everyone,

~Nicole

I did a solo Dopey trip two years ago. I was anxious about similar things. In the end I really enjoyed going my own pace. I did more exploring by checking out a number of the resorts I had never seen. I did a couple sit down meals, and due to my own issues this was my most challenging moments. But I brought a book and really just tried to enjoy the food. Some real bonuses though I found myself much more talkative to people in ride lines, I took lots of pictures, I took time to sit on benches enjoy the ambiance and people watch and I simply slowed down. All of this was really helpful for the races. Plus there are lots of meet ups during the week to attend if you want. I really enjoyed that trip. Good luck with your races!

Hello Everyone,

~Nicole

Welcome. I won't say don't worry, because everyone does! But doing this alone is nothing to worry about. I've done all my Disney races on my own. And since a whole pile of us will be down there, there will be possibilities to meet-up. There's a thread on this here.....

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...ts-thread-updated-10-3.3638260/#post-58277705

Trust your training. For example, my plan doesn't have any LR above 16 miles. Plans are all different. Sounds like you're getting in some good mileage, maybe try to get in a couple of back to back Sat/Sun runs. And be realistic about your race goals. Consider the Thurs/Fri/Sat runs before the marathon as easy taper races. You have 5 more weeks before the marathon. Plenty of time left to get in some quality runs.

But I brought a book and really just tried to enjoy the food. Some real bonuses though I found myself much more talkative to people in ride lines, I took lots of pictures, I took time to sit on benches enjoy the ambiance and people watch and I simply slowed down.

This! I am not a real extrovert/people person, but for some reason, I will do this too. Maybe it's just a Disney thing.

Ran my first Dopey simulation this weekend. 3 on Thurs, 5 Friday, local half-Sat., and 17.5 today.

My plan was to run the half nice & easy but at around 7 miles I was feeling REALLY good and realized I had a shot to get a new half PR so I just went for it. I had a really crummy race at the Richmond marathon 3 weeks ago so this race was a bit of redemption for me. I ended up getting a new PR by 3 minutes and 12 seconds.

And I felt surprisingly pretty good during the long run today. Legs started to burn by mile 15.5 but I was able to push through it.

Feeling pretty confident after this weekend! Can't wait to get down to Florida!!!!

I can't handle walking those days, either, so my wife and I usually invert our ratios, so that we're MOSTLY walking. For the 10-miler, I think we ran 30 seconds and walked 2 minutes. At the end of that 2 minutes, we were so eager to run again! We did this last year for Goofy training, as well, and it worked pretty well.

We did complete the 23 miles, but MAAAAAAAANNNNNN was it a drag! :crazy2:
The first 10 miles was very hard, and I was worrying that we overdid it the previous day. Then, some sort of Runner Madness took over, and the next 8 miles were GREAT! LA LA LA! RUNNING IS FUN! The last 5 miles made me question all my life choices up to that point, and wish for a swift, painless death. BUT WE DID IT. :mickeyjum

I tweaked my knee a li'l bit in those last couple miles, so I ended up taking off Tues and Thurs this past week. I was able to complete the 6 miles on Saturday, taking a bit slower than usual. Hopefully, I'll get back on track this week, and be ready for the next crazy 4-day in a couple weeks.

Maybe this means I don't train properly, but I usually take it as a sign that I'm about to the end of marathon training when I have a long run or a speed workout "blow up" on me. The training plans I use typically have a "double top", meaning they usually have a 20-22 mile long run, then a down week, then back to 20-22 one more time before taper. Inevitably, one of those two long runs is a complete slog. But the good news, the week after I've always recovered. Most plans are trying to push you right to the edge without going over. You went a beyond the plan and stepped over the edge. But just go back to the plan, trust it, and I'll bet your runs next weekend will be better

Hey guys. So happy for everyone whose training is right on plan. Not so much for me. My long runs consist of a 16 miler in August and the Marine Corps Marathon in October. Relying on a solid Marathon and Ultramarathon past history to carry me through. It's going to hurt though and success even with a disciplined execution will be tenuous. Nothing more than about 8 miles this fall. No worries though. Masochism and overconfidence is all part of being a runner. Now on to the sustainable Dopey plan: Easy walk/jog with the wife for the 5K. Probably a 10:00 pace for the 10K, a fun picture filled half, and a slow Ultra-Pace 10:30 to 12:00 mile with picture stops for the marathon. I got this!

A Memory Maker question for anyone that has done it in conjunction with runDisney events. I know that with Memory Maker you get downloads as I have done the regular one before. They give you different borders and "stickers" that you can put on the pictures. Are there special ones for runDisney? Maybe something with the race name or Dopey? When I run an event I usually get a finish line picture with my time in it. Is that something that would be included with the Memory Maker? I have called Disney but the people I speak with don't sound very confident in their answers. Thanks for your help.

A Memory Maker question for anyone that has done it in conjunction with runDisney events. I know that with Memory Maker you get downloads as I have done the regular one before. They give you different borders and "stickers" that you can put on the pictures. Are there special ones for runDisney? Maybe something with the race name or Dopey? When I run an event I usually get a finish line picture with my time in it. Is that something that would be included with the Memory Maker? I have called Disney but the people I speak with don't sound very confident in their answers. Thanks for your help.

I just checked with my Wine & Dine pics...the only borders I can find are all "Wide World of Sports", whether it is a photo in AK or Epcot.....

Sometimes, but not always. I absolutely would not count on it, since they seem to come and go with each race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter