OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
mmm....shoot! I guess I don't know how to post pictures then :( if someone could show me I'd be grateful...but in the mean time I'll PM you the pictures.

mmm....shoot! I guess I don't know how to post pictures then :( if someone could show me I'd be grateful...but in the mean time I'll PM you the pictures.

I would love to see your pics too! We are staying at the WL in 3 weeks and have been trying to see what kind of cakes they make so I can order one.

I am sending my pics to Lurkyloo and she is going to get them posted for me so you will see it all tomorrow :) I was thrilled beyond measure!!'

OK, here are Flea1267's photos and descriptions. These cakes were made by the Contemporary pastry team for Wilderness Lodge delivery:

"Delivered to Whispering Canyon Cafe, 6" chocolate with white chocolate filling, fondant, $85. I asked for a Lion King Cake with my son's favorite scene (the Hakuna Matata scene where they were walking across the log). I loved how they incorporated the 'sunrise' scene in the icing :) Will was thrilled, he was surprised and just thrilled it was Lion King, he's 15 but still loves Lion King :)"

1003807_10201193683702007_371357298_n.jpg

1381599_10201193676021815_790822037_n.jpg

"Also delivered to WCC, white cake, white icing and orange mini mickey heads & white chocolate mini castle with glowing light - $35"

1382104_10201193678941888_830296120_n.jpg

Because only the GF and Contemporary pastry teams appear to have the mold for the mini white chocolate castle. Or access to pre-made castles, or however they do it.

Epcot can do the castle just not the glowing one, is what ive been told :-( what it four our twins 4th birthda

Oh, well then all you need to do is bring a Floralyte and tell your server to stick it under the castle before they bring the cake out!

Just kidding about the long post I just edited out lol. Heard back and I was mistaken lol But when did the chocolate crowns pop up?

I'm normally really good about promptly posting by WDW cake pictures, but our trip last month didn't go as planned. I don't post a ton on Disboards, but for those that don't follow me on other sites...we were in a really bad car accident on our way to the airport. We were really lucky and able to walk away from it...so I pulled a lot of strings to still get us to WDW. I have to say...at this point, I was really looking forward to cake to cheer us up.

The first cake was mine...it was supposed to be Small World themed with Donald on top. They refused to dress him like he was from the south seas room even though there are numerous licensed Disney products with him like this. I was willing to go without it though since they saw my detailed sketch + written description and didn't say anything about not being able to honor the remainder of my design requests. This was the hideous mess I received...

I'm not sure why they used an edible image from Disneyland, I don't know why the 40 Mickey head looked more like warped bunny ears, the hand painted details on the front are extremely sloppy and only in gold, and my request to have the various shapes in the queue details (i.e. white/silver/gold- triangles, rectangles, etc.) around the side and back were totally disregarded and replaced with odd edible images and strange piping...like some messed up edible image cake collage. They also made some weird sun around Donald and didn't bother using a bigger cake drum to try and add the very clearly requested Mary Blair concept art around the actual base of the cake. To add insult to injury...the cake flavor was wrong. The only bright spot- Donald was painted nicely and based on the $152 overall price tag (before the auto 18% gratuity)- they didn't charge us a crazy amount to paint him. I'm not sure which page of the thread has my actual sketch, but what I received was a horribly sad representation of a glorious idea.

My mom's cake the following day wasn't nearly this bad, but I still had issues. I knew they couldn't do the white chocolate carousel horse through the Contemporary bakery, but...

1. I said buttercream with fondant decorations...the whole thing was covered in fondant. I like fondant...make it and use it all the time for my cakes, but this cake was for my mom...and she hates fondant.
2. The measuring tape marks were sloppy. I know it's tiring to make tiny thin little hash marks, but if you're a professional cake decorator and it's part of the requested design... then that's your job. I'd let my hand cramp up and work on other things periodically just to ensure I was producing a finer looking product.
3. They told me the measuring tape was too slender to write the message to my mom. I realize they're used to writing things in large writing on the cake board, but if they put 2 & 2 together and thought about what I was requesting- it should have been very little problem to put the writing on the measuring tape...i.e. the way it appears in Mary Poppins. It's pretty simple-- get a fine tipped brush, food coloring, and look at a pic from the movie so you get the proper writing style.

Other than that- my mom loved it and it was a million times better than the disaster they gave us the day before. The all fondant part is significant though since I'm pretty certain that ramped up the price to the $55 + gratuity/tax we paid.

I make custom cakes on the side and I'd be embarrassed if I were responsible for these cakes. I think we're done with cakes at WDW for a LONG time. The Contemporary and the GF are the only bakeries that seem good with allergies, but I hate working with Pat. After these 2 cakes, I won't be paying the Contemporary for cakes any time soon. I will be sending in a complaint, but it's still pretty low on my list of priorities as we're still dealing with a nightmare of an insurance situation with the accident. In any event...I figured I'd share.

I wanted to share sketches of the cakes I'm ordering for our upcoming trip.

This first one is a cake for my mom...
9281935092_0329933ec6.jpg

As you can probably tell, it's a mini wedding cake. It will be buttercream frosting with fondant decorations for our breakfast at Crystal Palace. Chef Donald said they don't have access to the single carousel horses like this so that's out. He also doesn't think there will be enough room to write the Mary Poppins themed message to my mom on the measuring tape, but they'll write it out on the cake board if need be. Mom isn't into crazy cake flavors, so it's going to be a yellow cake w/white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream.

Next up is my belated 40th birthday cake...
9341323464_dfb58e8213.jpg

The only thing they really can't do is the hula skirt and lei. I really wanted Donald dressed like a girl from the South Seas room in IASW, but it's a no go. I do custom cakes on the side, so I'm debating about making an edible hula skirt and lei and just bringing it along so I can add it on. Ultimately, I wanted the IASW queue, the IASW DLR 50th anniversary logo translated to 40, a tribute to Mary Blair's concept art, and my fave- Donald. The flavors...orange cake w/tropical mousse filling for breakfast at Chef Mickey's. Oh, and it an 8".

I believe my mom's was quoted at $55 and mine at $155. I'll be sure to post pics after our trip.

These are the sketches that were submitted for the cakes shown in my previous post.

I am so sorry about your accident! That is a terrible way to start your trip!

I'm sorry the cakes weren't what you were hoping for. Personally though I LOVE the
Donald IASW cake! It was actually what caught my attention in my email!
Though I do see what you mean about Mickeys ears!

The Mary Poppins cake seems to be what you ordered though. They had said that they couldn't write on the tape from the beginning.
I do agree that Disney cakes are way over priced for what they are but I don't think these were the worst I had seen.

Hi everyone. I thought I'd share my experience with the two cakes we received from the CR at the end of September.

The first one we ordered was supposed to have brown fondant, haunted mansion wallpaper and have the haunted mansion portraits.
Well the cake had no fondant on it? :confused3 I'm a weirdo and LOVE fondant. :rotfl2:
The haunted mansion wallpaper was peeling off and it was really really sloppy looking. The portraits were blurry, it was hard to make out what was on them.
The cake was just not nice looking at all and nothing like I've seen from the CR. It was really disappointing because I've never had a cake from the CR and was VERY excited. (I've had cakes from the GF before)
We were very clear on what we wanted and provided photos.
Sadly the cake didn't taste good either.

The second one was a mini two tiered cake. It was supposed to be vanilla cake, peanut butter cup filling and chocolate buttercream.
The filling was wrong and it had peanut butter mousse filling. The decorations were pretty sloppy. It looked like a little kid had decorated it. We didn't want skulls on the cake (I'm just not into them :rotfl:) and there were skulls all over the cake. Oh well.
The cake tasted great though! :)

I did see on the boxes that Heather made both of our cakes. I'm not picky at all about things. It's just that if I order something and provide photos, I'd like to receive what I order and to look nice you know. :)

I'm hoping my fellow cake addicts can help me...

I've been stalking this thread for about 3 years and have had my heart set on a Tower of Terror bellhop hat style mini cake for over a year. I've been in touch with Disney and they can't do it in a mini cake.

It's for my husband for our anniversary in December. He loves Mary Poppins, Donald Duck and Pascal from Tangled. Has anyone got any ideas for a mini cake around any of these? I really wanted it to include a suitcase somewhere as part of the 'leather' as it is our 3rd anniversary.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Edited to add - we are on Deluxe Dining, with only 2 of us so I really think a 6 inch would be too much

I've been stalking this thread for about 3 years and have had my heart set on a Tower of Terror bellhop hat style mini cake for over a year. I've been in touch with Disney and they can't do it in a mini cake.

It's for my husband for our anniversary in December. He loves Mary Poppins, Donald Duck and Pascal from Tangled. Has anyone got any ideas for a mini cake around any of these? I really wanted it to include a suitcase somewhere as part of the 'leather' as it is our 3rd anniversary.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Edited to add - we are on Deluxe Dining, with only 2 of us so I really think a 6 inch would be too much

They could make you a suitcase shaped cake with unique luggage tags for your 3 tags.

Who did you ask about the cake? Because some of the Deluxe resort bakeries should have no problem making you a mini cake with a bellhop hat theme. It's just a basic cake shape with a band at the bottom, after all...

My girlfriend and her husband are showing up at WDW two days after DH & I leave.
Would it be possible for me to order a cake delivered to her room,but I pay for it before I check out? I'll want it delivered to the Poly,if that makes a difference.

Can anyone offer advice on how I can give a mini two tier as a gift????

NEVERENOUGHWDW said:
They could make you a suitcase shaped cake with unique luggage tags for your 3 tags.

That's an amazing idea. I dread to think how much Disney would want to charge for it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter