Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0523.jpg I wanted to share a picture of the best "Surprise" cake we have ever had at Disney World. We have had multiple cakes made over the years, but this one was created within an hour of our checking in and beginning our meal. It was a chocolate on chocolate cake from Mama Melrose's. It was a surprise retirement celebration Fantasmic meal for my DH. My DB-in-L set up the entire surprise with Chef Joshua and our server Artur once we were seated for our meal. They used our Fantasmic dessert credits for the cake and with 8 of us eating, we loved it. It was delicious, moist, flavorful and overall wonderful! It was one of the best, if not THE BEST, cake we have ever had.

I had this cake made for my proposal (she said yes) at the Contemporary and delivered at California Grill. There are gold flowers and silver leaves under the message banner, which are hard to see from straight on. I uploaded a very amateurish photoshop image to them based on a cake I had seen here from a few years ago. They got it exactly like I wanted. It's fondant on top of vanilla buttercream and vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling. Tasted great! We could only eat about 1/4 of it even though it's an 8" cake. It was $155, which I don't consider overpriced for a cake like this. I believe the painted white chocolate Mickey itself was somewhere around $80. Note: he's solid and heavy... could feed a family.
L15zlji.jpg
FANTASTIC!!!!

So we just got back from our 10th wedding Anniversary trip and I have a few cake pictures to share. We had the slipper dessert at breakfast at CRT and it was $16 with tip & tax. Very yummy!
image.jpeg

We stayed at the Polynesian and we originally ordered a welcome mini cake from the GF, but I was able to get 1900 park fare reservation for my family, so I decided to have the cake there. Pat at the GF helped me design this beautiful 6 inch cake. Chocolate cake with peanut buttercup moose filling(this was a surprise because I asked for it but was told it is only for wedding cakes#pixiedust) chocolate buttercream and white fondant with Cinderella and Prince with flowers.(I forgot to take a picture from the back, but it was covered with more flowers). This was the best cake I have ever tasted and I generally don't like fondant. We were truly blown away with how awesome it was. Everything is just better at Disney. We paid $59 but we were able to use our tables in wonderland card for some savings.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The last cake we enjoyed was a mini cake that just my husband and I shared at Le Cellier in Epcot. This was a mini cake and cost $35. We had it made to look like a replica of our wedding cake. It was yellow cake, white chocolate moose with vanilla buttercream and sugar flowers. They also added Swiss dots and what looked like pixie dust. This cake was also fantastic, my husband who is a chocolate fanatic actually liked this cake the most. The Epcot bakery did an excellent job and Le Cellier gave us complimentary champagne to go with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Overall, we were very pleased with the cakes we ordered. The mini cake was perfect for 2 people and the 6 inch cake was enough for 6 or 8. We had lots of left overs for the week as well as brought some home in our cooler. It was a great anniversary trip!

Last edited:
Hi disneymommy,
All of your cakes look wonderful! I also have ADR at CRT in Aug, and would like to order the slipper dessert for my DD7. How can I make that come true?? I'm from Japan and has been over 20 years since I last visited WDW. TIA!

Hello...long time lurker first time posting. We are going to WDW the first week in August. We will celebrate my Sisters 40th and my Sons 6th. For my Sister we are eating Tutti Italia so I know I have to deal direct with them and they offer limited cakes which is fine. My Sons birthday dinner will be at Be our Guest. So please correct me if I'm wrong but I have to call the Contempory right? We don't really want something to elaborate as my son is picky but we won't something above a podium cake. Is this possible? How far in advance should cakes be ordered?

Hello...long time lurker first time posting. We are going to WDW the first week in August. We will celebrate my Sisters 40th and my Sons 6th. For my Sister we are eating Tutti Italia so I know I have to deal direct with them and they offer limited cakes which is fine. My Sons birthday dinner will be at Be our Guest. So please correct me if I'm wrong but I have to call the Contempory right? We don't really want something to elaborate as my son is picky but we won't something above a podium cake. Is this possible? How far in advance should cakes be ordered?
I dealt with the Contemporary via e-mail for a quote, and then called them to place the physical order (would not do it via e-mail). My Contemporary e-mail stated "For Magic Kingdom please email your order to MagicKingdomCakes@disney.com." From what I was told over the phone, they needed about a week for the final order. I placed the final order about three weeks in advance, but had been dealing with them for a few weeks prior for the design and quote.

I've placed two cake orders, one in 2014 and the other this year, via email. Both have been wonderful mini cakes that have been made by the Contemporary and delivered to BOG. I sent picture ideas and told them what I was looking for and they were just what I asked for. I started communication about 3 weeks before and had probably 2-3 emails to accomplish the order. It was very easy to do it all via email.

I dealt with the Contemporary via e-mail for a quote, and then called them to place the physical order (would not do it via e-mail). My Contemporary e-mail stated "For Magic Kingdom please email your order to MagicKingdomCakes@disney.com." From what I was told over the phone, they needed about a week for the final order. I placed the final order about three weeks in advance, but had been dealing with them for a few weeks prior for the design and quote.

Thank you!

Hi disneymommy,
All of your cakes look wonderful! I also have ADR at CRT in Aug, and would like to order the slipper dessert for my DD7. How can I make that come true?? I'm from Japan and has been over 20 years since I last visited WDW. TIA!

You just email them to order the slipper dessert at

wdw.magickingdomcakes@disney.com

You can order these by just emailing them with your name and reservation confirmation number and the following details:
· Whether you would like white chocolate or dark chocolate for the slipper (crowns are only available in white chocolate)
· What you would like written on the plate (up to 4 words)

They do require at least a 72-hour notice for the above options. They will email you back a confirmation and you pay for it at the restaurant. I know your DD7 will love it, my DS4 was with us and he loved it.

I'm wanting a minimalist princess cake for my birthday celebration in Disney next year. By minimalist, I mean nothing screenprinted, no characters, just a beautiful cake made in the colors to resemble a princess dress (most likely an 8"). What would be the best bakery to go through for what I want to achieve?

I'm trying to finalize where I want to eat on the night of my actual birthday, but if the best bakery for what I'm wanting does not deliver to whichever restaurant I choose, I'd rather go with the bakery and choose a different restaurant.

The Contemporary is really good at cakes like that. They service all the restaurants at the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness and the Magic Kingdom, plus cruises that depart from the Contemporary.

The Contemporary is really good at cakes like that. They service all the restaurants at the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness and the Magic Kingdom, plus cruises that depart from the Contemporary.

Thank you! I was thinking maybe Grand Floridian, but Contemporary seems to give me more options, so that's good to hear. I'll probably end up trying to get a CRT reservation for that night - might as well take the Princess theme to the extreme lol!

Another quick question - I'm sure this type has been answered so many times on these forums, but I want 100% accurate info, so thought I'd ask here. This October we'll be doing a fireworks cruise for Illuminations on our last night. We're going with friends and it will also be a few days before our anniversary, so I thought it would be fun to surprise everyone with a custom cake for the cruise. Would it be the BC/YC that I call with this request?

Correct! IllumiNations cruises depart from the Yacht Club Marina, so you call Yacht & Beach Club Private Dining.

Hi all!

We will be celebrating my daughters 2nd birthday Sept 9th-12th in Disney world! We have Crystal Palace booked for lunch on her actual birthday. We have a party of 16. I wanted to order a Cinderella cake for her to be delivered there.

I've seen the princess cakes with the big Cinderella on top and love that but I'm not sure how big they are as we have a large party and I'm not sure if those are only for the princess package at Royal Table. I don't want just a flat sheet cake...any ideas? Does anyone know how big the princess cakes are? Or if they can still use the big princesses on a larger cake?

I've been mulling over what to do about an anniversary cake for my husband and I when we go to Disney in October, and I'd love people's opinions. I want to do a small recreation of our wedding cake, and I know the design is simple enough that it would all fit on the two-tier mini cakes, but the question is....do I want to go with a 6 or 8 inch instead? Here are our options: mini two-tier cake at our first dinner of the trip at the Grand Floridian Cafe, or one delivered to our resort (Port Orleans French Quarter), or have one of the 6/8 inch delivered to our resort. What I'm going back and forth about, primarily, is whether to get the mini cake, or the regular sized one. I know aesthetically, it would look better with the mini two-tier cake, but the prices seem so expensive for those, when you really aren't getting that much cake. Now, it is just my husband and I going on this trip, and he's not a huge cake person, but I'm the type of person who would LOVE to eat that cake for the rest of our trip :) I've love anybody's input!

Hi all!

We will be celebrating my daughters 2nd birthday Sept 9th-12th in Disney world! We have Crystal Palace booked for lunch on her actual birthday. We have a party of 16. I wanted to order a Cinderella cake for her to be delivered there.

I've seen the princess cakes with the big Cinderella on top and love that but I'm not sure how big they are as we have a large party and I'm not sure if those are only for the princess package at Royal Table. I don't want just a flat sheet cake...any ideas? Does anyone know how big the princess cakes are? Or if they can still use the big princesses on a larger cake?

You can easily feed 16 people with a 10-inch round cake—you don't have to get a sheet cake. Heck, I think you could feed 16 people with an 8-inch cake, the way Disney overestimates their serving sizes. Those princess cakes are pretty substantial, but I don't know that they would stretch to 16 servings. What about a Mickey head cake? Those serve at least 14 people.

I've been mulling over what to do about an anniversary cake for my husband and I when we go to Disney in October, and I'd love people's opinions. I want to do a small recreation of our wedding cake, and I know the design is simple enough that it would all fit on the two-tier mini cakes, but the question is....do I want to go with a 6 or 8 inch instead? Here are our options: mini two-tier cake at our first dinner of the trip at the Grand Floridian Cafe, or one delivered to our resort (Port Orleans French Quarter), or have one of the 6/8 inch delivered to our resort. What I'm going back and forth about, primarily, is whether to get the mini cake, or the regular sized one. I know aesthetically, it would look better with the mini two-tier cake, but the prices seem so expensive for those, when you really aren't getting that much cake. Now, it is just my husband and I going on this trip, and he's not a huge cake person, but I'm the type of person who would LOVE to eat that cake for the rest of our trip :) I've love anybody's input!

A 6-inch cake is definitely a better value and will leave you plenty of cake to enjoy during the rest of your trip. However, with some designs they say you have to get an 8-inch cake, and I have *not* been able to polish off one of those by myself during the course of a trip! They also don't fit in a mini fridge.

So I'm thinking of getting the Grand Floridian Bakery to do a cake for my friends husbands bday. He loves turtles so we are thinking of getting a Crush and friends cake made. Has anyone ever done one with a similar (or same) theme? Also, do you have to dine at the GF or can it be delivered anywhere? Last time I had a cake done by this talented crew we dined at Narcooses so I don't actually know the rules? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter