Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far in advance can I order a cake? We have a little less than 3 months until our trip, I'd rather order sooner rather than later because I'll probably forget otherwise.

Couple questions. First, this site has changed a bit since my last time here. Some posts have small thumbnails, and when I click on them, it opens in a search engine, and doesn't show the attachment. Easy way to fix that?

And secondly, I saw that Contemporary can service MK restaurants. Is that different than the MK cakes? I contacted MK cakes a while back, and was not happy at all with what they wouldn't do (they had a strict word count limit, wouldn't write what I wanted, etc). I worked with Pat last year, and was able to write exactly what I wanted. I've heard good things about Chef Brian, so if that is available for MK restaurants, and it's different from MK cakes, I'll give that a shot.

And thirdly, if that doesn't work, my other option is a cake at Coral Reef. Does anyone have any experience w/ the Epcot pastry team? Are they good, flexible?

How far in advance can I order a cake? We have a little less than 3 months until our trip, I'd rather order sooner rather than later because I'll probably forget otherwise.

I never order more than 3 weeks out because I've heard some horror stories of them losing cake orders. But I suppose as long as you check back in with them a week or two out, you would be OK.

And secondly, I saw that Contemporary can service MK restaurants. Is that different than the MK cakes?

MK Cakes is the gauntlet you have to run before you are allowed to work directly with the Contemporary (where Chef Brian works) on a cake. Just tell them you want something really elaborate and would like to work directly with the pastry team.

And thirdly, if that doesn't work, my other option is a cake at Coral Reef. Does anyone have any experience w/ the Epcot pastry team? Are they good, flexible?

Yes! The newish Epcot pastry chef is pretty easy to work with and turning out great cakes!

Will babycakes do any disney themed cakes? Or is it just the standard looking ones listed on their website? Thanks!

Last edited:

I'm in need of some serious advice...I need help with cake ideas!! Pretty Please! I have boy/girl twins who will be 10 years old. We have an ADR at BoG for their birthday dinner and want to surprise them with a cake. Any ideas how I can incorporate gender neutral cakes together? Any pics of ideas would be appreciated. There are 14 total in our party.

I planned out a cake, and then found out T-Rex won't hold a cake if it's delivered before we get there. Plan B would have it delivered to our resort. Are outside bakeries allowed to deliver to Coronado Springs does anyone know?

Cakes from our WDW trip... Detailed sketches & instructions were provided for all of them.
1.) Cinderella Mini Cake from GF Bakery - $65, Vanilla Cake w/ Vanilla filling & blue buttercream - enjoyed on Wishes! Cruise. Cake was ordered and confirmed just a week before hand!

2.) Toy Story Cake from Boardwalk Bakery - $65, Vanilla Cake w/ Baileys filling & vanilla buttercream under fondant - supposed to be enjoyed at Flying Fish but picked up due to food poisoning. I provided the figurines on top. Cake was ordered about 5 months out and I confirmed a few days prior!

3.) Chewbacca Cake w/ fully painted White Chocolate Jedi Mickey from Contemporary Bakery - $134, Vanilla Cake w/ Peanut Butter mousse filing & vanilla buttercream - picked up at The Wave. Cake was ordered about 5 months out and I confirmed a few days prior!

Does anyone know if disney bakeries will write non disney quotes or draw non disney images on their cakes or bases?

Thank you

I just ordered mine a couple weeks ago at almost 3 months out. I asked them if it was too early and they said no I could send it in whenever I was ready so I went ahead and ordered. I will be following up closer to my trip though to make sure the order is there.

I planned out a cake, and then found out T-Rex won't hold a cake if it's delivered before we get there. Plan B would have it delivered to our resort. Are outside bakeries allowed to deliver to Coronado Springs does anyone know?

If a cake is delivered to your resort by an outside vendor, you will have to meet them somewhere, and there's no prohibition on that. The resort is not going to accept the delivery for you.

Cakes from our WDW trip... Detailed sketches & instructions were provided for all of them.
1.) Cinderella Mini Cake from GF Bakery - $65, Vanilla Cake w/ Vanilla filling & blue buttercream - enjoyed on Wishes! Cruise. Cake was ordered and confirmed just a week before hand!

2.) Toy Story Cake from Boardwalk Bakery - $65, Vanilla Cake w/ Baileys filling & vanilla buttercream under fondant - supposed to be enjoyed at Flying Fish but picked up due to food poisoning. I provided the figurines on top. Cake was ordered about 5 months out and I confirmed a few days prior!

3.) Chewbacca Cake w/ fully painted White Chocolate Jedi Mickey from Contemporary Bakery - $134, Vanilla Cake w/ Peanut Butter mousse filing & vanilla buttercream - picked up at The Wave. Cake was ordered about 5 months out and I confirmed a few days prior!

Thanks for posting these! LOVE the Chewbacca cake!

Does anyone know if disney bakeries will write non disney quotes or draw non disney images on their cakes or bases?

Thank you

The only restriction on quotes is space (though I'm sure they won't write any cuss words either!). You'll have to talk to the bakery directly about the image you want to use.

Thinking of getting a B-day cake for my husband when we do the Illuminations cruise. Has anyone ever done this? Who would I order from? Do they supply all the necessities (plates, silverware, a knife to cut) or do I have to bring them? Thanks.

Does anyone know if you order the Mickey cake from the Contemporary bakery the face is done in piped buttercream frosting instead of the chocolate ganache. I thought I read somewhere that when the Contemporary does them it's piped on but I can't find where I read it now. I prefer the ganache...
Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!!

Carla

Thinking of getting a B-day cake for my husband when we do the Illuminations cruise. Has anyone ever done this? Who would I order from? Do they supply all the necessities (plates, silverware, a knife to cut) or do I have to bring them? Thanks.

You need to order from the resort where your cruise departs, so Yacht & Beach Club Private Dining. See Post #2 for the number. They supply everything you need with the cake if you tell them it's for a cruise.

Does anyone know if you order the Mickey cake from the Contemporary bakery the face is done in piped buttercream frosting instead of the chocolate ganache. I thought I read somewhere that when the Contemporary does them it's piped on but I can't find where I read it now. I prefer the ganache...
Any help would be most appreciated.

Just tell them that's the way you want it when you place your order.

Does anyone know if you order the Mickey cake from the Contemporary bakery the face is done in piped buttercream frosting instead of the chocolate ganache. I thought I read somewhere

The contemporary standard is the ganache face. The piped face is done by guest request only.

Hoping to get this pic to work. This is the cake my son had last week for his birthday.

I'd like to order a Splash mountain cake for my twins 13th birthday on March 15th. If you don't mind can you tell me where this cake came from, cost, filllings, etc. Thanks so much!

Pictures from Trattoria Al Forno, cake from Boardwalk Bakery

IMG_2468_zpscaf92521.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2461_zps937457c4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2453_zpsefcfc8af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Do you think you could repost photos? I'm hoping to order a Splash cake for my twins 13th birthday in March. Thanks so much!

I ordered my cake today - easy peasy with all the detail in the first post - thank you, lurkyloo!
Sent an email to the Contemporary and had an answer within half an hour. Then called to actually order a mini cake. We are still 5 weeks out, but I will definitely post a photo when we get back.

Attempting to post this picture from Oct 2012

We had this at our Ohana bfast and it was made by Pat. The price was $30. I think this worked and will post the one we got for her friend in another post :)

Attachments

• DSC05020.JPG
    DSC05020.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 141
This cake was from our Ohana breakfast in Oct 2012. Also done by Pat and cost was $30.

Attachments

• DSC05014.JPG
    DSC05014.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter