Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be at Disney Dec 27 - Jan 4 staying offsite at our house. My DH will celebrate his 47th birthday on Jan 2nd and his parents will be visiting us too to help celebrate. I secured a reservation today at the new restaurant to open on Dec 18th on the Boardwalk - Trattoria al Forno. I want to order a custom cake for DH. I have just spent the better part of today reading this thread and looking for ideas. I LOVE the Haunted Mansion cake and have always loved the Mad Hatter cake. Since there will only be five of us and we are leaving two days later I don't want a big cake. Who am I calling for a Boardwalk restaurant - Boardwalk Bakery or Cake hotline? I saw a picture on this thread of a 6in Mad Hatter cake - anyone know the approximate cost? Would it be a lot of cake? Will they do the Haunted Mansion cake in a 6 in? We will be using Tables in Wonderland and I really don't want the cake on the bill, just in case my in-laws pay for dinner. I don't want them feeling like they have to pay for the cake. Is there anyway to pay the bill ahead of time?
Thanks for all the help!!
Deb

Is a mini-wedding cake possible? I would like to get a small two tier with the silver mickey's.

Let me know if anyone knows!

Mini wedding cakes are definitely possible! Where will you be getting it from? You would have to order a mini cake covered in fondant to get the stamped silver mickey's which would drive the price up.

We will be at Disney Dec 27 - Jan 4 staying offsite at our house. My DH will celebrate his 47th birthday on Jan 2nd and his parents will be visiting us too to help celebrate.

From what I've heard, even those who ask and provide a credit card end up getting the cake billed to the restaurant total so perhaps once at the restaurant, sneak away and have the hostess charge the cake to you so it isn't on the final bill. I would call the Boardwalk Bakery directly and ask for their email to provide ideas for the cake you'd like to order. Attach the photos of both cakes and ask for pricing. 6 inches for 5 people sounds perfect to me! I know that fancy cakes with fondant decorations (like the Haunted Mansion cakes) and the Mad Hatter cakes are more expensive than more basic cakes. However, dependent on what you want included on the cake and what you're willing to sacrifice - you may be able to get a good price! I liked working with the Boardwalk, they tend to respond pretty quickly and clearly!

I just called the Boardwalk Bakery and talked with Larry about ordering a cake for my husband's 47th birthday on Jan 2nd. They will deliver to Trattoria for our dinner reservation. I ordered the Haunted Mansion cake and was told $85 for an 8 inch cake. I picked Marble cake, white buttercream filling and chocolate ganache for the outside. He said it will be wrapped with fondant and the scene from HM wrapped around the side. It will have hitchiking ghosts and other decorations. They are going to write on the plaque - Have a ghostly 47th birthday John! I'm excited! It all seemed to go perfectly so I hope that it turns out the way I have seen other HM cakes. He told me I had until 12/31 to make any changes.
Debbie

We just got back from WDW and our anniversary cake from AKL was perfect! It exceeded my expectations. Chief Amanda was easy to work with and she did a great job! It tasted so good! It was chocolate with chocolate buttercream. The cake matched the pictures I sent her and she added some extra things to it. She added extra roses and glitter. Lots and lots of glitter!!! Those little touches really made it pop!

She quoted me $62 when we were emailing but I was charged $40 at the restaurant.

1236174_946455205383810_2110461099810599955_n.jpg

Thank you! Yup, They are white chocolate. I just haven't had the heart to eat them, they're too pretty! Lol! XD

:cool1:just ordered our surprise Christmas cake for our reservation at Boma! :cool1: they were super sweet and nice on the phone! So excited!! Will post pics once we get back!

I am wondering how far in advance should I order the chocolate slipper to CRT for our breakfast there? My 7 year old has talked all year about wanting to celebrate her birthday at the castle, although this will be Christmas day and 2 months after her birthday, I think she will be thrilled!

Also, any inexpensive ideas for other restaurants? My other DD will turn 15 just before our trip and asked me the other day what restaurant we were celebrating her birthday at. :scared1: I didnt think she would want to do anything like that, so I didnt have anything planned. I dont want to do both at CRT though. We are dining at Ohana, Chef Mickeys, Garden Grill, 1900 PF, Planet Hollywood, Tutto Italia, Mama Melrose, Cape May, Raglan Road, BOG, Hollywood & Vine while there. I would like to keep it small and under $30 though. Thanks for any advice!

I am wondering how far in advance should I order the chocolate slipper to CRT for our breakfast there? My 7 year old has talked all year about wanting to celebrate her birthday at the castle, although this will be Christmas day and 2 months after her birthday, I think she will be thrilled! Also, any inexpensive ideas for other restaurants? My other DD will turn 15 just before our trip and asked me the other day what restaurant we were celebrating her birthday at. :scared1: I didnt think she would want to do anything like that, so I didnt have anything planned. I dont want to do both at CRT though. We are dining at Ohana, Chef Mickeys, Garden Grill, 1900 PF, Planet Hollywood, Tutto Italia, Mama Melrose, Cape May, Raglan Road, BOG, Hollywood & Vine while there. I would like to keep it small and under $30 though. Thanks for any advice!
You can order a podium cake at any restaurant, just let them know you need a cake when you check in. Will just be a standard chocolate or vanilla cake, 6 " I believe. Pretty sure those are under $30. Chef Mickey is a fun place to celebrate - they make a big deal over birthdays.

We had these two cakes for a late breakfast at 1900 Park Fare last week. We were very pleased with how they turned out, although I'd asked for light green icing on the Wonderland cake and got plain white. It was still lovely, and the kids were thrilled with the surprise.

This is the Wonderland mini-cake. Vanilla with buttercream, $45.

Pirate mini-cake, vanilla with buttercream, $40.

We were stuffed after our meal, so we had the cakes boxed up and took them back to our resort. They made a wonderful breakfast the next morning! They were very tasty and fresh. Thanks to everyone here for the good ideas and advice on ordering.

Has anyone had made or seen any where around disney world an Up themed cupcake. I am trying to see if they do any so I can order one as an anniversary treat.

Thank you

Andrea

So excited to be heading back for our one year anniversary! I want to surprise the hubby with a cake. We'll be at the Boardwalk (no fancy dinner reservations yet as it's a short trip) and it's just the two of us. Should I do a replica of the top layer of our Escape cake or a mini cake (though I have NO idea what I'd have on it)? Anybody have an idea on the pricing of the wedding cake replica? Open to guidance here! :)

Since we are going to BOG I was thinking smallest cake as it's just us 2 (6 inches?) with the white chocolate belle on top maybe saying Have a Magical Vacation!

Does anyone have any idea of a price for this and who I would email to arrange this for BOG?

Thank you :-)

Contact the Magic Kingdom cake email (see post 32) and tell them you want a fancy, custom cake. They will try to steer you toward a standard cake before they let you contact the Contemporary Resort to work on a custom one. White chocolate characters like Belle will not fit on top of a 6-inch cake, unfortunately.

We just got back from WDW and our anniversary cake from AKL was perfect! It exceeded my expectations.

Thank you for sharing this!

We had these two cakes for a late breakfast at 1900 Park Fare last week. We were very pleased with how they turned out, although I'd asked for light green icing on the Wonderland cake and got plain white. It was still lovely, and the kids were thrilled with the surprise.

Thanks for posting!

Has anyone had made or seen any where around disney world an Up themed cupcake. I am trying to see if they do any so I can order one as an anniversary treat.
They do lots of Up-themed wedding cakes. Try Googling for cake inspiration pictures you can send them.

So excited to be heading back for our one year anniversary! I want to surprise the hubby with a cake. We'll be at the Boardwalk (no fancy dinner reservations yet as it's a short trip) and it's just the two of us. Should I do a replica of the top layer of our Escape cake or a mini cake (though I have NO idea what I'd have on it)? Anybody have an idea on the pricing of the wedding cake replica? Open to guidance here! :)

A mini cake could end up costing close to the price of a 6-inch cake, and it might be easier just to ask them to replicate the top layer (since they make so many of those Escape cakes). It shouldn't cost more than about $100, depending on the design you had.

So I placed the order for our anniversary cake, I'll be sure to post pics when we get back next week. I've been emailing with Chef Brian, and what we ended up deciding on is an 8" chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse and cannoli cream filling, white buttercream with blue fondant over it. Snow White themed with a 2d standing Snow White and Prince, and saying "You might get a little Grumpy, but you're always Prince Charming to me". Hubby doesn't know anything about it, Snow White was always my favorite princess, and Hubby likes Grumpy, so has a lot of grumpy shirts, etc. So i think he'll get a kick out of it. Quoted price is $82 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

EEEK! I just sent my email off to the Contemporary for a Splash-themed cake for our son's birthday. I feel like a girl waiting for a response to a junior high love letter.

Do you want to be my boyfriend? Check one!
{ }Yes { }No

LOL!

Wow! Loving this thread! Makes me hungry for cake :thumbsup2

We are going to be at WDW with my parents and celebrating my mom's 61st birthday.
I was thinking of having it sent to the Yachtsman for our dinner so I know I will call the Y&BC Private dining line.

I know she would want something simple flavour wise but I wanted to make it special for her since we will be at Disney.
My favourite memory and one of our funny inside jokes is the Redhead from Pirates. My mom is a redhead.
I am not sure how to make a birthday cake with that theme without it seeming 'inappropriate' :lmao:

Any ideas from this fabulous group?

My DD will celebrate her 15th bday at WDW 1/5/15. I am trying to decide f we should have the cake delivered at dinner (1900 Park Fare) or the hotel POFQ. Her favorite princess is Ariel I am thinking that's what I will go with....
Thoughts? Recommendations? Pictures? Prices?

Thought I read an E-mail address for Pat at the Grand Floridian somewhere on here, but now I can't seem to find it.....

Did I dream that up? Or does anybody know what it is?

I know she would want something simple flavour wise but I wanted to make it special for her since we will be at Disney.
My favourite memory and one of our funny inside jokes is the Redhead from Pirates. My mom is a redhead.
I am not sure how to make a birthday cake with that theme without it seeming 'inappropriate'

I think having it say "We wants the redhead!" would be funny! I wonder if they'd do a standing white chocolate screen print of the Marc Davis concept art.

My DD will celebrate her 15th bday at WDW 1/5/15. I am trying to decide f we should have the cake delivered at dinner (1900 Park Fare) or the hotel POFQ. Her favorite princess is Ariel I am thinking that's what I will go with....
Thoughts? Recommendations? Pictures? Prices?

You might find it slightly easier to get ahold of someone at the Grand Floridian but may find them more restrictive of what you can do with the cake. Basic prices are listed in post #2, but you'd need to talk to Disney to get an exact quote.

Thought I read an E-mail address for Pat at the Grand Floridian somewhere on here, but now I can't seem to find it.....

Did I dream that up? Or does anybody know what it is?

The DIS doesn't allow us to post cast members' email addresses. If you call the number in Post #2 she can give it to you—it's probably better to talk to her first so she knows to expect your message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter