Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let me tell you what happened with my cake from AKL...

I had worked with Amanda in the AKL bakery for nearly 2 months to come up with my cake design and finalize everything. It was going to be a surprise for my mom for her birthday.

We checked in our club-level room on 11/5 and whispered to the concierge to have the cake sent up. Shortly after we got to our room, there was a knock at the door, while my mom was on the balcony looking at the giraffes. Perfect timing! I opened the door, saw the cake and LOVED it. I signed off on it and the bellman left. I carried it toward the balcony, my mom saw it and started crying b/c it was so beautiful! My surprise was a success!!!!

We had a slice that night, but beings that it was a 10-in cake and just 2 of us, we had a lot left. We put the cake in the box and placed a plastic bag against the cake where the slices were taken from, to keep it fresh. It was delicious...best cake we have ever eaten...ever!!!

We got up early the next morning for the sunrise safari. We are always cautious when it comes to nosey maids, so we purposely things on top of the box along with the happy birthday button, so she had no reason to touch the box (Lord only knows where those hands have been). We placed them a certain way...

We come back from a fantastic day at animal kingdom, and the box and stuff on the box has been moved!!! Yet the table was still dirty. And better yet, when we opened the box, the plastic was pulled away from the cake and you could tell someone stuck their finger in the cake!!!! Ewwwwwww. Talk about gross.

No one at the front desk would talk to us when we called. After 30 min, we finally reached someone who said they didn't believe us, but would credit me for the cake if we allowed them to take the cake. No apologies, nothing to make it "right".

I got my $109 credit, but that isn't what I wanted. They ruined my mom's surprise. :(

Lesson learned.

Is it possible to get a fancy fondant cake at Maya Grill in Coronado Springs? That's where we are our first night there, so wanted to get a custom cake for my DD.

If so, which bakery services Coronado? I didn't see any special cakes listed on the first page for Coronado.

Coronado actually has its own bakery - it isn't serviced by the other Disney bakeries like most resorts/restaurants on property. But you can order a custom cake there!

So last year, I ordered a cake from Grand Floridian (should be my profile picture) for our 1900 Park Fare dinner. It said "Welcome back Elena. Love Tink" for my 6 year old DD. It was great, but I'd at least want to do a different cake this year (and we aren't doing 1900 park fare again). We are doing Coronado Springs our first night there (Maya Grill), T-Rex the second night, Hollywood and Vine for lunch the 3rd day, and Be Our Guest the 4rd night (would want to do the cake one of these days if possible). We have Coral Reef and CRT too, but they are later in the week, and a welcome back should be early'ish I think.

Does anyone have any cool suggestions, that could be a 'Welcome Back' type of thing? Tinkerbell was perfect since she's a fairy, and there is 'magic' involved in her knowing Elena would be coming back. So any ideas w/ the restaurants listed would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I was looking at the cake picture link and couldn't help but notice a lot of negative comments and experiences between incorrect cakes and mainly not tasting great or still seeming frozen, I know that thread is a few years old so wondered if this is still quite common I'm nervous about spending quite a lot of money and nobody enjoying the cake?

I haven't seen a lot of complaints about cake flavor recently. Every once in a while someone gets one that tastes stale.

Also wondered if the "anniversary cake" is still available and if anyone knows an up to date price for this?

Do you have a photo? Disney doesn't have a standard anniversary cake design. Every cake is custom.

would they do the strawberries with the whipped cream or vanilla butter cream?

They'd do the fresh strawberries with whipped cream or they'd do strawberry mousse, which is flavored with strawberries but doesn't have chunks. Bavarian cream is like what's inside an eclair.

Sooo, is cream cheese buttercream good (?) and does this mean that I'll be working with the Contemporary staff now? I emailed back to see. :goodvibes

Yes and yes. :thumbsup2

Is it possible to get a fancy fondant cake at Maya Grill in Coronado Springs? That's where we are our first night there, so wanted to get a custom cake for my DD.

If so, which bakery services Coronado? I didn't see any special cakes listed on the first page for Coronado.

That's because Coronado's pastry team only offers the cakes listed on the first page, in Post #2. They don't do fancy, fondant-covered cakes.

Are they able to add words to the 6 in cakes or only the 8 in and bigger?

They usually do the words on the plate for a 6-inch cake, but it depends on how many words you want.

We come back from a fantastic day at animal kingdom, and the box and stuff on the box has been moved!!! Yet the table was still dirty. And better yet, when we opened the box, the plastic was pulled away from the cake and you could tell someone stuck their finger in the cake!!!! Ewwwwwww. Talk about gross.

Wait, what?!! That is disgusting! I always put our cakes in the fridge and have never ever had a Mousekeeping cast member stick a finger in any cake. That's just bizarre...

To make the day a little special I was thinking of ordering a cake for Christmas Day from the Boardwalk bakery. Would anyone like to share some past Disney Christmas themed cake photos or cake ideas they have for this year. Many thanks.

I'm sure longtime readers of this thread are sick to death of seeing me post this every year, but here's my Christmas cake from the Contemporary... again...

CustomCake.jpg

CA_Grill_11.jpg

CA_Grill_12.jpg

CA_Grill_14.jpg

CA_Grill_19.jpg

CA_Grill_20.jpg

CA_Grill_21.jpg

CA_Grill_23.jpg

That penguin cake is adorable!! I just ordered a Star Wars themed cake for our dinner at chef mickeys next Tuesday celebrating my sons 5th birthday:) I'll post pictures once we get it! I can't wait to see what we get!

So, let me tell you what happened with my cake from AKL...

I had worked with Amanda in the AKL bakery for nearly 2 months to come up with my cake design and finalize everything. It was going to be a surprise for my mom for her birthday.

We checked in our club-level room on 11/5 and whispered to the concierge to have the cake sent up. Shortly after we got to our room, there was a knock at the door, while my mom was on the balcony looking at the giraffes. Perfect timing! I opened the door, saw the cake and LOVED it. I signed off on it and the bellman left. I carried it toward the balcony, my mom saw it and started crying b/c it was so beautiful! My surprise was a success!!!!

We had a slice that night, but beings that it was a 10-in cake and just 2 of us, we had a lot left. We put the cake in the box and placed a plastic bag against the cake where the slices were taken from, to keep it fresh. It was delicious...best cake we have ever eaten...ever!!!

We got up early the next morning for the sunrise safari. We are always cautious when it comes to nosey maids, so we purposely things on top of the box along with the happy birthday button, so she had no reason to touch the box (Lord only knows where those hands have been). We placed them a certain way...

No one at the front desk would talk to us when we called. After 30 min, we finally reached someone who said they didn't believe us, but would credit me for the cake if we allowed them to take the cake. No apologies, nothing to make it "right".

I got my $109 credit, but that isn't what I wanted. They ruined my mom's surprise. :(

Lesson learned.
Was the cake in the fridge?

Did you actually speak to someone at the resort or did you call (which goes to a call center)?

Was the cake in the fridge?

Did you actually speak to someone at the resort or did you call (which goes to a call center)?

It was sitting on the table with the box clipped shut. We pushed "0" for front desk and was given the run-around from there. :-/

Started the process at V&A to order a replica of the top of our wedding cake! We don't need it until January but with holidays and moving back home to New Orleans I might not have time

I emailed back and forth with Brian and we are going with 2 cakes quoted at $59 each. When I called to actually place the order the CM that took it indicated that Brian must have something more in mind:artist:, ooohhh. I can't wait to see them and taste them. 17 Days!!!!!!!

Cake 1-:cake:
6 inch custom cake
Buttercream Frosting
Vanilla Cake
Orange Milk Chocolate Mousse
It's a Small World Theme

Cake 2-:cake::cake:
6 inch custom cake
Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Cake
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
Christmas Mickey and Minnie theme
"36 3/4 Swell Years"

Ordered the first of my 2 cakes today! First cake is for an illuminations cruise on my birthday- yes ordering my own cake! My friends offered but the process is too complex and I am a control freak! Yacht Club Private Dining was great. Easy to order. Gave me the options- I am not a chocolate person so vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling and white buttercream with a villain screen print of the evil queen, Maleficent, Cruella and Ursula- quoted for a 10 in cake to fit the design at $71.
Second cake is going to be Haunted mansion theme from Contemporary! Thanks for the inspiration!

Ordered the first of my 2 cakes today! First cake is for an illuminations cruise on my birthday- yes ordering my own cake!

lol glad I'm not the only one. I'm ordering a cake for my birthday too.

Thinking of asking for a Minnie mini cake. Hoping they can do the bottom tier red with white polka dots like her skirt. The Second tier just chocolate frosting. Then topped with Minnie's bow. We will see if they can do something like this. I think it would be cute :)

I'd like it to be delivered to the coral reef restaurant, but otherwise we are staying at the contemporary. so I guess I could have it delivered to the room, if it doesn't work for the restaurant.

Ordered the first of my 2 cakes today! First cake is for an illuminations cruise on my birthday- yes ordering my own cake! My friends offered but the process is too complex and I am a control freak! Yacht Club Private Dining was great. Easy to order. Gave me the options- I am not a chocolate person so vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling and white buttercream with a villain screen print of the evil queen, Maleficent, Cruella and Ursula- quoted for a 10 in cake to fit the design at $71.
Second cake is going to be Haunted mansion theme from Contemporary! Thanks for the inspiration!

I ordered our anniversary cake and my own birthday cake as well.. :) it's all good

I finally got a call back from Pat at the GF the other day about the mini-cake I wanted to order for our Tea Time in January. She was nice enough I guess, but she just seemed like she was rushing the call and when I tried to tell her how I wanted the cake to look, she just basically told me no, that what I had seen decoration-wise on a previous cake must not have been a mini-cake, but I know it was. I'm sure it'll be good and it'll be a nice surprise for my DH on our 10th anniversary trip this January, but not sure that I'll order a cake again since $35 for basically a cup-cake is nuts

Thinking of asking for a Minnie mini cake. Hoping they can do the bottom tier red with white polka dots like her skirt. The Second tier just chocolate frosting. Then topped with Minnie's bow. We will see if they can do something like this. I think it would be cute :)

Please post when you get an answer if it's possible to do and a picture when you have one as I am planning on having either a 6 inches with a Minnie chocolate statue or a Minnie mini-cake for my daughter's 3rd birthday at WDW!

I am a crazy Pluto fan, his birthday is Sept 5th and mine is the 6th..he is much older ;) First I would like to thank lurkyloo for doing these threads. I really enjoyed seeing the post of the artist working on the white chocolate characters and let me say those are worth every penny !

With the advice learned here I emailed the Contemporary Resort and within 24 hrs got an email back from Donald ( NOT Duck ) it only took a few emails to determine that I really didn't care what they did, if I recall I said, " My favorite character is Pluto and do your thing" . This was for my BIG birthday celebration at our favorite Chef Mickey's.

After seeing the picture of what he came up with I called to confirm the rest of it ( type of cake, filling, confirm the order ) We ended up with marble cake, 2 fillings chocolate ganache ( sp? ) and cannoli crème. I WANT to say it was an 8 " cake and cost was $ 120 ? I still have the label from the box and it does say " Prepared by Brian ". It was delicious. Pluto even blew the candle out with me. :goodvibes Hey it was HIS birthday too :love:

I just wanted to share some pictures of the anniversary cake I had delivered to our meal at Cali Grill this past Saturday. The cake is an 8" chocolate cake with Bailey's mousse filling...and the quoted cost was $255. I'm not sure if this was just Chef Brian, Chef Donald, both, or more...but all I can say is WOW!!! I think pretty much everyone in the restaurant noticed the cake and even a mgr wanted to come out and meet us because of it. On a funny side note, when I ordered it, the guy on the cake line thought I was ordering a 2-tier because of the price. I said no...and he asked "10 inch?" I told him it was likely the castle that was putting the price up there. This is also the first time I went about this without a sketch and just gave a detailed description of what I wanted. It was PERFECT!

15125413213_0d1e5ba21e_z.jpg

15721099886_7671dee50b_z.jpg

15558929269_197a7e49fa_z.jpg

15125407703_f5306dc47b_z.jpg

15559972400_93c1e9f196_z.jpg

15559359988_22c620a447_z.jpg

15742902271_86e75c0c00_z.jpg

Oh, and we've gotten a number of ?s about the wording. I really wanted Donald and Stitch together (our fave characters), but they can't go together since they're not in cartoons together. Stitch is my husband's fave (hence the cute and fluffy) and Donald's mine (inside joke, but a fitting quacking reference).

It was only just the 2 of us, but the cake made for a great midnight snack each day during the trip.

After seeing the picture of what he came up with I called to confirm the rest of it ( type of cake, filling, confirm the order ) We ended up with marble cake, 2 fillings chocolate ganache ( sp? ) and cannoli crème. I WANT to say it was an 8 " cake and cost was $ 120 ? I still have the label from the box and it does say " Prepared by Brian ". It was delicious. Pluto even blew the candle out with me. :goodvibes Hey it was HIS birthday too :love:

Cute cake! Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

I just wanted to share some pictures of the anniversary cake I had delivered to our meal at Cali Grill this past Saturday. The cake is an 8" chocolate cake with Bailey's mousse filling...and the quoted cost was $255. I'm not sure if this was just Chef Brian, Chef Donald, both, or more...but all I can say is WOW!!! I think pretty much everyone in the restaurant noticed the cake and even a mgr wanted to come out and meet us because of it. On a funny side note, when I ordered it, the guy on the cake line thought I was ordering a 2-tier because of the price. I said no...and he asked "10 inch?" I told him it was likely the castle that was putting the price up there. This is also the first time I went about this without a sketch and just gave a detailed description of what I wanted. It was PERFECT!

Thanks for all the pics and details—very helpful! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter