Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
will be going to Disney for our 20th anniv this Dec, staying at the Contemporary but having our anniversary dinner at Artist Point/Wilderness Lodge, so who would I contact to get a cake ordered? really really hoping for Choc Rasp Buttercream with a snowflake (not frozen!) theme...:confused3

I don't know the details about ordering a cake for a WL restaurant but I know the CR pastry team makes those cakes. I ordered a 6-inch snowflake/Cinderella's holiday castle themed cake from the CR for California Grill next week and was able to get a custom filling (the same as lurkyloo's Fozzie cake: chocolate peanut butter ganache :)) - I think your chances are good you can get what you want!

I've played phone tag with Pat from the GF for over a week. Everyday, I waited for the phone to ring and planned what my order would be. Well. You know how it felt when you were 14 and got up the nerve to call a boy you like, and then were so overwhelmed when he answered that you didn't know what to say? Yeah, that was me, with Pat. :rotfl2:

We established that I wanted two mini cakes, but I kind of felt like she was reading from a script and not keen on ideas/customization. Not that I was offering many ideas, mind you, because I was suddenly totally intimidated by her. I told her I'd like one with an Alice in Wonderland theme, with some toadstools and flowers, and the caterpillar. "No caterpillar," she claimed. Caterpillar could only be a 2D image (Wha? I've seen the caterpillar on mini cakes...hmmm). But, I was too overwhelmed to argue, so I was all giggly and said, "Um, okay. Sure". Then she announced it would cost $65. I said, "Um, okay. Sure", even though I was wondering how a few toadstools and flowers added up to $65. Then we moved on to the other cake, which was a pirate theme, and went much smoother. But even before we'd established what would be on it, she told me it would cost $45. (I kind of wondered if *I* wasn't the one supposed to be giving *her* the budget, but oh well.) Then suddenly, we were back to the Alice cake, and she said, "We could do a 2D image of the caterpillar or the Cheshire Cat within that $65, you know". I thought we were still talking about the pirate cake. It was that kind of conversation.

It's all fine; I didn't have images in my head of what the cakes MUST look like, so whatever it is will be fine, I'm sure. But I feel like such a loser; I was so tongue tied! Oh well, we leave in 10 days, and that was the last big thing on my to do list. The kids will be thrilled to have birthday cakes, no matter what they end up looking like!

My boyfriend and I will be dining at Be Our Guest after the Princess Half Marathon in February (our first race together). My absolute favorite cupcake flavor there is the strawberry cream cheese cupcake, but I noticed that this isn't one of the flavors they typically offer for custom cakes (mini cakes, specifically). Would it be at all possible for me to request a mini cake with the strawberry mousse filling & cream cheese icing?

If it's a no-go, I don't have a problem ordering red velvet as my back-up flavor, and then a strawberry cream cheese cupcake on the side, lol.. I was just curious. Thanks! :)

I would definitely ask. I know they can't do standard fruit fillings in mini cakes, but that strawberry cream cheese is a different animal, so maybe you'll get lucky! I'd explain that it's the strawberry cream cheese from BOG so they don't mistake your request for a standard fruit filling.

l When making my initial call, should I call the custom cake hotline as listed in the first post, or the number for the individual resort? And should I opt to use CR, would you recommend initial contact via phone or email? Thanks again!

The Cake Hotline will get you there eventually — I just post the individual resort numbers to get you there directly. :thumbsup2 CR is tricky because sometimes they get too swamped to answer email. I think I'd email first and then follow up with a call if you haven't heard back in a week.

will be going to Disney for our 20th anniv this Dec, staying at the Contemporary but having our anniversary dinner at Artist Point/Wilderness Lodge, so who would I contact to get a cake ordered? really really hoping for Choc Rasp Buttercream with a snowflake (not frozen!) theme...:confused3

They prefer it if you call WL first, explain what you want so they know it's too complicated for them to do, an then get "permission" to call Contemporary with your order. Or WL can take your order and pass it along to CR. Might be better doing it that way since CR is sometimes slow to respond to individuals.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and help so far.

Does anyone have any pictures of the hand painted chocolate pluto, I'm trying to work out if it's worth paying the extra to get it painted or if the figure will look ok without?

Thanks in advance

I don't have any Plutos, but here's a shot that shows the painted/unpainted contrast:

Minnie.jpg

I don't know the details about ordering a cake for a WL restaurant but I know the CR pastry team makes those cakes. I ordered a 6-inch snowflake/Cinderella's holiday castle themed cake from the CR for California Grill next week and was able to get a custom filling (the same as lurkyloo's Fozzie cake: chocolate peanut butter ganache :)) - I think your chances are good you can get what you want!

:hyper: OOOh! I hope you love those flavors as much as I did!

I have a question. I want to order a red velvet/cream cheese frosting Star Wars cake for my son's birthday dinner at BOG. I emailed MK cakes today and was told of their standard options. When I said I really wanted the red velvet and cream cheese and to have it customized, then I was told that they won't transport cream cheese frosting or whipped cream frosting. I thought I'd done my homework reading this thread and I hadn't heard of that. It's December, so I wouldn't think there would be any issues with heat and the frosting? Is this a hard and fast rule? The way that she left it she was going to check and get back to me.

I just discovered this thread while planning for our upcoming 10 yr anniversary Illuminations DP for UK terrace. How have I missed this all these years??

Lurkyloo, have you hard of anyone bringing their own cake to an Illuminations DP? Allowed or not allowed? How about using your own cake topper if you ARE getting a cake through Dis? (our wedding cake topper was a plastic light up Cindy Castle replica). Can I give it to them ahead of time or do I need to just place it on the cake once we get there?

This was the custom 10in choc cake with chocolate ganache icing and peanut butter mousse filling, themed to Nightmare Before Christmas that we got at Jiko at AKL in 2009 for my husband's 30th. I think it was about $80.

IMG_0657_zpsdd697579.jpg

IMG_0659_zps7c9f0540.jpg

Just back from an amazing trip! Can't thank everyone who has contributed to this thread enough, especially Carrie of course!

I was a bit worried about how our cake would turn out as just before we left there seemed to be a lot of people having a lot of problems with Amanda at the animal kingdom lodge.

I ordered the cake about 2 weeks before we arrived in disney, Amanda was away at first however I was told that over the phone so I was prepared for her to take a little while to get back to me. The communication wasn't the best even once we began dialogue however the cake was PERFECT. It was just what I had asked for, she recommended an 8in cake rather than a 6in however we didn't even get half way through the cake on the first eating (don't fear though, we managed to finished it over the next few days). I can honestly say it was one of the nicest cakes I have ever tasted. I asked for a vanilla cake with whipped cream frosting and a strawberries and custard filling. My parents and mother in law were all celebrating their 60th birthdays this year and the trip was to celebrate so I ordered the cake for them all to share.
It was delivered to Sanaa.
Cost quoted was $40 however we were only charged $23, the computers had gone down before we arrived so we had a long wait as they had forgotten about us so I wonder if it was a deliberate mistake or not, either way I was happy!

It's December, so I wouldn't think there would be any issues with heat and the frosting? Is this a hard and fast rule? The way that she left it she was going to check and get back to me.

I've never heard of such a thing.... let's see what she says after she checks back! :thumbsup2

Lurkyloo, have you hard of anyone bringing their own cake to an Illuminations DP? Allowed or not allowed?

Not allowed. Disney must provide all food for its catered events.

How about using your own cake topper if you ARE getting a cake through Dis? (our wedding cake topper was a plastic light up Cindy Castle replica). Can I give it to them ahead of time or do I need to just place it on the cake once we get there?

Allowed! If your planner is really good, s/he might let you mail it ahead of time. Otherwise, the pastry team will just leave room on top and you can set it there when you get to the party.

Thanks for sharing your cake!

I ordered the cake about 2 weeks before we arrived in disney, Amanda was away at first however I was told that over the phone so I was prepared for her to take a little while to get back to me. The communication wasn't the best even once we began dialogue however the cake was PERFECT. It was just what I had asked for, she recommended an 8in cake rather than a 6in however we didn't even get half way through the cake on the first eating (don't fear though, we managed to finished it over the next few days). I can honestly say it was one of the nicest cakes I have ever tasted. I asked for a vanilla cake with whipped cream frosting and a strawberries and custard filling. My parents and mother in law were all celebrating their 60th birthdays this year and the trip was to celebrate so I ordered the cake for them all to share.
It was delivered to Sanaa.
Cost quoted was $40 however we were only charged $23, the computers had gone down before we arrived so we had a long wait as they had forgotten about us so I wonder if it was a deliberate mistake or not, either way I was happy!

Glad you had such a great experience! Thanks for sharing!

I have a question. I want to order a red velvet/cream cheese frosting Star Wars cake for my son's birthday dinner at BOG. I emailed MK cakes today and was told of their standard options. When I said I really wanted the red velvet and cream cheese and to have it customized, then I was told that they won't transport cream cheese frosting or whipped cream frosting. I thought I'd done my homework reading this thread and I hadn't heard of that. It's December, so I wouldn't think there would be any issues with heat and the frosting? Is this a hard and fast rule? The way that she left it she was going to check and get back to me.

I've never heard of that before. I ordered a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for our dinner at BOG last September and I was never told anything like that. We also just had a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting delivered to the WL last month. (made at the Contemporary)

Hi

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I was looking at the cake picture link and couldn't help but notice a lot of negative comments and experiences between incorrect cakes and mainly not tasting great or still seeming frozen, I know that thread is a few years old so wondered if this is still quite common I'm nervous about spending quite a lot of money and nobody enjoying the cake? Thanks

Also wondered if the "anniversary cake" is still available and if anyone knows an up to date price for this? Thanks

Last question, for my DD birthday cake I'm not sure of filling flavour as the ones I have seen are not common to us in the UK so I'm not sure what to order. My DD is autistic and fussy about flavours she loves standard vanilla buttercream fillings we get here in the UK so I just wondered if any UK Dissers that have had a disney cake could let me know if it would be the same or if there is a better option, she loves whipped cream too. I thought the fresh strawberries would be a lovely addition but don't think she would like chocolate mousse or custard and I don't know what Bavarian cream is, would they do the strawberries with the whipped cream or vanilla butter cream?

Thank you so much in advance and sorry for all the questions

Andrea

The painted Minnie Mouse looks awesome! How much it is and could I have it on a 6 inches cake? Thanks!

The painted Minnie Mouse looks awesome! How much it is and could I have it on a 6 inches cake? Thanks!

Hi

I was quoted by the contemporary for a 6 inch cake with buttercream frosting with a white chocolate pluto on top with gold accents $53 or the same but with hand painted pluto $68. I would imagine Minnie would be the same.

Hope that helps

Andrea

Well, ordered a cake for DS's birthday the Sunday at Chef Mickey's. Ordered 8" cake through contemporary. Couldn't get the Jedi Mickey statue, but I was told I could have a Jedi Mickey theme. Hopefully it looks ok, since DS really had his heart set on the Jedi Mickey statue!

I got a picture from Chef Brian of some of the painted chocolate figures, I thought it might help someone else to see them as well.

I'm really sorry about the size this is the first picture I've ever posted and I'm still figuring it all out.

I've never heard of such a thing.... let's see what she says after she checks back! :thumbsup2

Here is the response I got:
Great news! I heard back from the bakery and they can do the below for us!

We can offer a cream cheese filling for inside the cake and a cream cheese buttercream for the outside.

Sooo, is cream cheese buttercream good (?) and does this mean that I'll be working with the Contemporary staff now? I emailed back to see. :goodvibes

Hi I was quoted by the contemporary for a 6 inch cake with buttercream frosting with a white chocolate pluto on top with gold accents $53 or the same but with hand painted pluto $68. I would imagine Minnie would be the same. Hope that helps Andrea

Wow! I was just quoted $100 for a mini cake with the Mickey and Minnie white chocolate figure. Maybe I should've requested a 6 inch instead.

To make the day a little special I was thinking of ordering a cake for Christmas Day from the Boardwalk bakery. Would anyone like to share some past Disney Christmas themed cake photos or cake ideas they have for this year. Many thanks.

Wow! I was just quoted $100 for a mini cake with the Mickey and Minnie white chocolate figure. Maybe I should've requested a 6 inch instead.

I was quoted $120 for a fully painted Mickey figurine at the Boardwalk Bakery - no cake included! So I went to the Contemporary and got a cake with the same figurine for $130. Not sure what is going on with the difference in prices between the bakeries on these figurines... sort of strange.

Is it possible to get a fancy fondant cake at Maya Grill in Coronado Springs? That's where we are our first night there, so wanted to get a custom cake for my DD.

If so, which bakery services Coronado? I didn't see any special cakes listed on the first page for Coronado.

I was quoted $120 for a fully painted Mickey figurine at the Boardwalk Bakery - no cake included! So I went to the Contemporary and got a cake with the same figurine for $130. Not sure what is going on with the difference in prices between the bakeries on these figurines... sort of strange.

My quote came from the Contemporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter