Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to make sure I'm correct before I send off an email. My son is going to be turning 3 on our trip, and we were thinking our Chef Mickeys dinner would be the best "celebration" dinner. It is possible to order a cake there, correct? and would I use the Contemporary bakery email or do I still need to call and get approved to email? :confused3

So this was really confusing for me when I went to order a cake at the Contemporary! Yes, you can definitely get a cake for Chef Mickey's :)
If you are looking for a custom cake or what to decide on something specific with the pastry chef, email them! Once you have confirmed via email with the pastry chef on the design, flavor and price - call the Contemporary and place an order for the exact cake you discussed with the team. When you call, you can tell them you emailed with the pastry team and they will ask if you got a quote for the cake, tell them yes. Once you're done providing the necessary info - you're all done!

Hey

I finally spoke to someone at disney today to get the ball rolling on my anniversary surprises for DH and birthday surprise for our DD.

For the anniversary idea I want a chocolate slipper and a mini cake. For the mini cake I wanted the mickey ears top with the mickey dots on it but then I wanted some little balloons coming out the top like in Up. Unfortunately the lady I spoke with said my design idea wouldn't be possible which was a bit disappointing as she said the cake top is too small, I was sure I had seen them on cupcakes but I have taken her word for it.

She did say they could do an Up design screen print on the plate which would be an extra $30. As much as I really wanted the Up theme incorporated because it has meaning for us I'm not sure I can justify $65 + tax on a mini cake.

What does everyone think and does anybody have any pictures of what she might mean so I could see an example of a plate.

I don't really want a full size 6 inch cake because we will be having one of those a couple of nights later for DD birthday and for us 2 adults and 2 kids that will be way too much cake to get through. Plus originally we were going to get married in Disney and I dreamed of those little mini cakes then for guests as they are so sweet but the disney wedding never managed to happen for long reasons so now for our 2 year anniversary I really wanted to get to have one.

Thank you

Andrea. :confused3:cake:

I am in the "things are getting real" window.

I want to order 2 cakes
1. delivered to HDDR
2. to WL

I know both will be made by the Contemporary is there an email so my coworkers won't know that I am on the phone with Disney....again :lmao:

Can they make a 6 inch Mad Hatter? I would love it to say "Happy 36 3/4 Unanniversary " with yellow and pink theme . Can you get a mad hatter with just butter cream frosting?

The second cake would be a standard 6inch with whatever flavors sound best on the day I order :rotfl2: But can I pick up at the podium and not get an ADR? We are staying at WL

I don't think I appreciated how tiny the mini-cakes truly are until Lurkyloo posted the picture from the GF Wedding showcase - seeing mini-cakes next to cupcakes put it in to a better perspective for me - -

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=52422739&postcount=863

Oh wow I hadn't realised how small they are either. Now I really don't know what to do, they are so cute but sooooo much money for something that little.

I've had more bad cake news the Epcot cake team have also said they can't do the 6 inch cake I wanted for DD as they don't do the chocolate pluto figures or personalised 6 inch cakes. My options are get a bigger more expensive cake that isn't quite what I wanted or change the location but I wanted her birthday meal at garden grill as she loves pluto and it is the character dinner.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm so upset neither of my ideas are working out :(

She did say they could do an Up design screen print on the plate which would be an extra $30. As much as I really wanted the Up theme incorporated because it has meaning for us I'm not sure I can justify $65 + tax on a mini cake.

What does everyone think and does anybody have any pictures of what she might mean so I could see an example of a plate.

This is what a plate screen print looks like:

IMG_1167.jpg

I know both will be made by the Contemporary is there an email so my coworkers won't know that I am on the phone with Disney....again :lmao:

Address is in Post #2

Can they make a 6 inch Mad Hatter?

It would be shaped like this:

MadHatter1Tier-1.jpg

Can you get a mad hatter with just butter cream frosting?

I have never seen one. It would be pretty difficult to add all the decorations to buttercream.

The second cake would be a standard 6inch with whatever flavors sound best on the day I order :rotfl2: But can I pick up at the podium and not get an ADR? We are staying at WL

Why not just have it delivered to your room at WL?

I've had more bad cake news the Epcot cake team have also said they can't do the 6 inch cake I wanted for DD as they don't do the chocolate pluto figures or personalised 6 inch cakes. My options are get a bigger more expensive cake that isn't quite what I wanted or change the location but I wanted her birthday meal at garden grill as she loves pluto and it is the character dinner.(

Is Pluto available at any of the other character meals? Chef Mickey's would be perfect because the Contemporary pastry team is so easy to work with.

We are heading to WDW in December 2015 as an early celebration for my 40th bday, which isn't until the following March. So I thought it would be fun to order a Mad Hatter "unbirthday cake" to commemorate the occasion. Based on what I've read here, is the GF my best bet for a fondant-covered cake like this, with the best selection of flavors/fillings to choose from? Also, about how far in advance should I contact them to start making plans for the cake? Just want to put a reminder out there for myself along with the ADR and FP+ dates. :) Thanks so much, this thread has some amazing finished products....I want to find a reason to order a cake on every trip now!!!

We are going to be celebrating my daughter's and my husband's birthday at Chefs de France (I know not ideal from a cake standpoint). I don't need super fancy, but would like the cake to at least have both of their names and some basic decoration. Does anyone know if that's possible with a 6 inch cake? Do I need to go up to the 10 inch cake (8 inch is apparently not a possibility there)? I really don't want leftover cake - and I know some in our group will want a different dessert. Does anyone have experience with cakes from Chef de France (or Monsieur Paul)? I wasn't able to find anything in this thread.

Are the Epcot cakes really boring? Are they not much better than podium cakes? Can anyone point me to any photos?

Thanks!

I am interested in getting a small 6" cake to have at the GF when we have tea for our upcoming 10 year anniversary trip. If we have leftover cake and want to take it with us back to our condo, do they provide a box we can take it in?

Does anyone have an email address for Pat at the GF they can give to me or PM me so I can email her a picture of what I am wanting?

Can I order cupcakes for dinner at Rose and Crown? I want something special but not huge as we are having an 8 inch custom cake at Whispering Canyon the next night.

I am interested in getting a small 6" cake to have at the GF when we have tea for our upcoming 10 year anniversary trip. If we have leftover cake and want to take it with us back to our condo, do they provide a box we can take it in?

Does anyone have an email address for Pat at the GF they can give to me or PM me so I can email her a picture of what I am wanting?

Yes, they put the cake back in the box it came in from the bakery. Once you have spoken with Pat on the phone, she can give you her email address.

We are going to be celebrating my daughter's and my husband's birthday at Chefs de France (I know not ideal from a cake standpoint). I don't need super fancy, but would like the cake to at least have both of their names and some basic decoration. Does anyone know if that's possible with a 6 inch cake?

If they can't fit it directly on top of a 6-inch cake, they should be able to inscribe the plate.

Are the Epcot cakes really boring? Are they not much better than podium cakes? Can anyone point me to any photos?

Thanks!

Yes to all. Well, some restaurants at Epcot use Epcot's bakery, so you can get fancy cakes there. But the ones not owned by Disney, like Monsieur Paul, all use the same outside service for their cakes. You can see which restaurants do what in Post #2 of this thread.

Here's what a basic 6-inch chocolate cake from the outside service looks like:

6ChocolateCelebationcakereduce.jpg

But here's a 6-inch vanilla the vendor did for San Angel Inn with the directions that the guest wanted an Anna & Elsa screen print and an inscription:

SanAngelMexicoEpcotCake6inch.jpg

So... maybe if you stress that you want the cake to be creatively themed...? :confused3

Based on what I've read here, is the GF my best bet for a fondant-covered cake like this, with the best selection of flavors/fillings to choose from?

Or the Contemporary.

Also, about how far in advance should I contact them to start making plans for the cake? Just want to put a reminder out there for myself along with the ADR and FP+ dates. :)

For something elaborate like that, I'd reach out maybe 4 weeks ahead of time?

Can I order cupcakes for dinner at Rose and Crown? I want something special but not huge as we are having an 8 inch custom cake at Whispering Canyon the next night.

You'll need to call Epcot's pastry team and ask (see post #2). In the past, Disney hasn't been super accommodating of cupcake requests, but you never know. Alternatively, they could do a minicake for you. That feeds 2-3 people.

Yes to all. Well, some restaurants at Epcot use Epcot's bakery, so you can get fancy cakes there. But the ones not owned by Disney, like Monsieur Paul, all use the same outside service for their cakes. You can see which restaurants do what in Post #2 of this thread.

Here's what a basic 6-inch chocolate cake from the outside service looks like:

6ChocolateCelebationcakereduce.jpg

But here's a 6-inch vanilla the vendor did for San Angel Inn with the directions that the guest wanted an Anna & Elsa screen print and an inscription:

SanAngelMexicoEpcotCake6inch.jpg

So... maybe if you stress that you want the cake to be creatively themed...? :confused3

Thanks so much for the photos! I'm slightly encouraged by the Anna & Elsa cake. Thanks again!

Has anyone ever gotten a cake to celebrate adoption?

Nope, no cake, but wanted to say "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" I was adopted as an infant and our two daughters came to us forever through int'l adoption.:love: We were sailing DCL recently for our youngest DDs adoption day and many in our FE exchange knew about it and were so kind mentioning it in cards, etc.

I am happy for you!:cool1:

Hi lurkyloo - First off, let me thank you for being such a knowledgeable resource for answering all our questions! You're amazing!

My boyfriend and I will be dining at Be Our Guest after the Princess Half Marathon in February (our first race together). My absolute favorite cupcake flavor there is the strawberry cream cheese cupcake, but I noticed that this isn't one of the flavors they typically offer for custom cakes (mini cakes, specifically). Would it be at all possible for me to request a mini cake with the strawberry mousse filling & cream cheese icing? I'm thinking either the one tier like this:

IMG_0855.jpg

or two-tier like this:

IMG_0853.jpg

If it's a no-go, I don't have a problem ordering red velvet as my back-up flavor, and then a strawberry cream cheese cupcake on the side, lol.. I was just curious. Thanks! :)

lurkyloo, thanks for the feedback and for maintaining this thread! Just wanted to clarify a few things. When making my initial call, should I call the custom cake hotline as listed in the first post, or the number for the individual resort? And should I opt to use CR, would you recommend initial contact via phone or email? Thanks again!

will be going to Disney for our 20th anniv this Dec, staying at the Contemporary but having our anniversary dinner at Artist Point/Wilderness Lodge, so who would I contact to get a cake ordered? really really hoping for Choc Rasp Buttercream with a snowflake (not frozen!) theme...:confused3

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and help so far.

Does anyone have any pictures of the hand painted chocolate pluto, I'm trying to work out if it's worth paying the extra to get it painted or if the figure will look ok without?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter