Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have finally figured out how to post my cake pics! :woohoo: Its been a while but here is the cake I ordered at Halloween. We got it from the Contemporary, for around $75 and picked it up at The Wave. Its a chocolate mini tier cake with white chocolate mouse filling, covered in fondant and decorated with the "Haunted Mansion Treatment".......

Great cake! And I'm so happy to hear you were able to pick it up at the Wave. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup2

We are very active competing with our Border Collies (Blaze on the left & Puck on the right) in agility & herding. Since we couldn't take them with us on our trip, we decided to take little figures that looked like them to WDW. So while we were there we took lots of pics with them looking all around and having a blast at F&WF and MNSSHP! :cool1:

The best part was when we bumped into another group taking pics with a tiny dinosaur & a little plastic hat! We got a group shot of that one. :rotfl2:

Thats very cute!

We just got back from our trip on Sunday, and the cake that Chef Brian made for my daughter's 5th birthday turned out AMAZING. Soon as I get my photos uploaded, I'll post a few on here, but until then, I was wondering if there's a specific mailing address available that I could send a handwritten thank you card to Chef Brian? I know I could use his email address, but sometimes it's nice to show the extra effort with a card.

So following advice from this thread I've just ordered a cake!
Someone on here had posted a link to a website that had the Contemporary's cake email address, so through there I checked that what I wanted was possible (having read mixed things on here). I asked for a mini wedding cake in any colour other than white, they emailed back asking if I had anything in mind, and I suggested a nice lemon yellow colour with many some lilac and light green floral detail. They said no problem and gave me the cake hotline to ring to confirm... now this is where it gets interesting!

I get through and tell her I want the mini wedding cake and she says its only avaliable in 2 flavours, choc and dark choc mousse, or yellow cake with white choc mousse. I chose the yellow cake, then she started explaing how it would look (white with mickey detailing on it with a mickey ear hat on top, which actually sounds nice but I wanted to prove a point). I told her I'd emailed and had responses from the 2 cake chefs at the Contemporary to say that I could have a design on my choice. Poor lady sounded very shocked, she took down my details and said "Well you've spoken to the best people about it!". Anyway, I won't be too upset if it comes in the standard design but thought it was interesting that she was so shocked it could be customised.

So the cake is ordered for our Cali Grill ressie on June 9th, we'll see how it turns out! Either way it's a surprise for my Mum's 60th and she'll love it however it turns out. Wish me luck!

We just got back from our trip on Sunday, and the cake that Chef Brian made for my daughter's 5th birthday turned out AMAZING. Soon as I get my photos uploaded, I'll post a few on here, but until then, I was wondering if there's a specific mailing address available that I could send a handwritten thank you card to Chef Brian? I know I could use his email address, but sometimes it's nice to show the extra effort with a card.

I'd imagine you could just direct it to the Contemporary Resort with his name and title on it. It's often been said that the best thing you can do for a cast member is to write a letter of commendation to Guest Services because these are taken into account in cast member's employee files or reviews or something. Maybe a cast member DISer can weigh in on that, though...

So the cake is ordered for our Cali Grill ressie on June 9th, we'll see how it turns out! Either way it's a surprise for my Mum's 60th and she'll love it however it turns out. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Can't wait to see it! :goodvibes

I am very excited.:woohoo:

I just sent an email to the contemporary to order 2 cakes for an upcoming trip in July. I really hope they can do what I want.

Is their response time usually fairly quick?

I ordered a cake at the Boardwalk and then decided to have where I can pick up at Old Key West. Old Key West talked to the Boardwalk and have worked the transportation of the cake. I think it means Old Key West will go and get it from the Boardwalk?? Does that sound correct ?

Since you're not asking for a Mad Hatter shaped cake, I think $150 is plenty for an 8-inch cake and super-generous for a 6-inch one. I don't think I've ever seen the mouse ear toppers on a BoardWalk Bakery cake, but I'll be interested to hear whether they can get them for you.

Great news...the BoardWalk Bakery is going to do the mouse ear toppers. The first girl I spoke with said she had never seen them, but when they called me back she had spoken to the chef who said "no problem." I'm can't wait to see it all finished. They quoted me $120 for the 8 inch cake, it fell within my budget so I'm a happy camper. I'll post pics when we get back!

Great news...the BoardWalk Bakery is going to do the mouse ear toppers. The first girl I spoke with said she had never seen them, but when they called me back she had spoken to the chef who said "no problem." I'm can't wait to see it all finished. They quoted me $120 for the 8 inch cake, it fell within my budget so I'm a happy camper. I'll post pics when we get back!

Glad they could do it! Can't wait to see pictures

If you have a custom cake at BOG with dinner, do they add gratuity onto the cost of the cake? I got a quote of $150 but am wondering if I will have to pay 18-20% on top of that, which would really make it a $180 cake. That seems like an awful big tip for the server to just bring it to the table but I don't want to get into an argument at the restaurant. Thanks

I ordered a cake at the Boardwalk and then decided to have where I can pick up at Old Key West. Old Key West talked to the Boardwalk and have worked the transportation of the cake. I think it means Old Key West will go and get it from the Boardwalk?? Does that sound correct ?

I believe BWB will deliver it to OKW, but either way, it sounds like you got it all worked out. :goodvibes

Yay! Can't wait to see it!

I am very excited.:woohoo:

I just sent an email to the contemporary to order 2 cakes for an upcoming trip in July. I really hope they can do what I want.

Is their response time usually fairly quick?

If you don't hear back in a week, call to check.

If you have a custom cake at BOG with dinner, do they add gratuity onto the cost of the cake? I got a quote of $150 but am wondering if I will have to pay 18-20% on top of that, which would really make it a $180 cake. That seems like an awful big tip for the server to just bring it to the table but I don't want to get into an argument at the restaurant. Thanks

The only time a gratuity is automatically added to the bill is if you have more than 6 people or are using the Tables In Wonderland discount card. Are you doing either of those things?

The only time a gratuity is automatically added to the bill is if you have more than 6 people or are using the Tables In Wonderland discount card. Are you doing either of those things?

I have 7 people AND the Tables in Wonderland. But I was assuming the TIW discount does not apply to a custom cake, or does it?

Just booked a Princess Minnie 2-tier cake for our dinner at The Plaza in November. Totally easy process, thanks to all the tips on this thread! :cool1:

I have 7 people AND the Tables in Wonderland. But I was assuming the TIW discount does not apply to a custom cake, or does it?

It does, BUT that means you get the auto-gratuity added to the price of the cake too. I know exactly how you feel. We had to pay an 18% tip on a $100 cake with TIW a couple years ago, and I didn't have the guts to ask the restaurant manager to adjust it. But it made me a bit queasy to pay an extra $18 just to have the guy bring a cake to our table.

I got a response from Chef Brian this morning.

I am very happy with what he says they can do. I just have a couple of questions, so I will be in touch with him again.

Thanks for all the great information posted on this thread.

I ordered a mini two tier cake for my parents for next week (ack I can say next week finally!!) for their Le Cellier reservation, but it is being charged to my CC. What happens to the tip in that case, because its already paid for when it arrives for their reservation, anyone know?

I don't mind sending more cash with them, but it is a surprise so it would kinda ruin it.

Just returned from WDW and got my 2 cakes. The Tinkerbell one was for my daughter, and the small mini cake was for my parents from my daughter. Both were made at the GF. The Tink was delivered to 1900 Park Fare and the mini was delivered to the Poly Luau. Both turned out great. The tinkerbell exceeded my expectations even though I had seen it before. In person it was stunning!

Tink was $100 and the mini I think was $40 or $45. Hope the pics load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter