Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies in advance if this has already been posted, but as of this past Tuesday, Star Wars characters are now available for custom cake requests! My brother is celebrating his 30th birthday during SWW and I wanted him to have a cake featuring his favorite character, Boba Fett, for his birthday dinner at AP. When I originally called, I was told having that character would be iffy and to be prepared with a second choice. (Which I was.) Much to my delight, one of the cake decorators at the Contemporary got back to me on Wednesday morning and told me the good news about Star Wars. The Boba Fett cake is officially a "go!" :thumbsup2

You just made my day! We will be celebrating my sons birthday at chef mickeys and he will go CRAZY over a Star Wars cake!!:) I'm glad they are doing your cake for you!

I still haven't heard back from Maria with a price on my Peter pan cake. I did want to mention that she said that the Yacht club cakes were the same price whether they use fodant or Buttercream. I asked her this a few times.

Has anyone had any luck ordering JUST an Elsa themed cake? I am not spending my birthday in WDW, but will be there shortly afterwards. My cake order from my local grocer has turned into a saga of never ending proportions on the baker's part, to the point where I am not getting the Frozen cake that my mom ordered for me. So, I'm thinking of getting a cake in WDW after the fact. I don't particularly like Anna; only Elsa.

Does anyone know if they can do a theme like that at Boardwalk Bakery on a mini cake (if they even sell those size cakes)? I have gotten a cake from Boardwalk Bakery twice before, and was forced to get a 10" just to get any decoration at all. 60% of both cakes went bad. The three of us just can't eat that much cake after we eat decent meals and snacks in the parks day in and day out. I find it wasteful and too expensive.

I will be eating at Chef Mickey's and could get a cake through the Contemporary if need be, if they would be better to handle a request like this. I just haven't done this in several years and am totally lost.

I also need to order a cake for my mother's birthday later in the trip, and have no clue what to do about that either. No idea what theme, and no idea what's the best place to order from (with hers, a two-tiered mini-cake would be best since we will be there on her actual birthday). If anyone has any advice/tips for me, I would really appreciate it.

I don't particularly like Anna; only Elsa.
:rotfl:

Does anyone know if they can do a theme like that at Boardwalk Bakery on a mini cake (if they even sell those size cakes)?

They do make mini cakes, but they won't be able to do a screen print of her on one, that's for sure. If you wanted a less representational mini cake, or if you brought a small figurine to stick on after you got the cake, I'll bet they could do something "ice" or "snow" themed. Or maybe a wavy pattern around the base that looked like her braid? Alternatively, they should be able to screen print her on white chocolate and stand the piece up on the plate next to the cake.

I will be eating at Chef Mickey's and could get a cake through the Contemporary if need be, if they would be better to handle a request like this. I just haven't done this in several years and am totally lost.

I definitely think you'll have an easier time working with the Contemporary on this, as long as you can get in touch with Chef Brian about the design. Here's the cake-ordering email there (I'd follow up with a phone call if you haven't heard anything after a few days): WDW.Contemporary.Cake.Order@disney.com

I also need to order a cake for my mother's birthday later in the trip, and have no clue what to do about that either. No idea what theme, and no idea what's the best place to order from (with hers, a two-tiered mini-cake would be best since we will be there on her actual birthday). If anyone has any advice/tips for me, I would really appreciate it.

What are her interests or hobbies? Does she have favorite colors or flowers? I'd Google for pictures of cakes related to those... The best-equipped pastry teams are those at the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary, and Yacht & Beach Club. The GF also services the Polynesian, and the Contemporary also services Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and the Magic Kingdom.

I am really getting frustrated. I am trying to get a cake done and have been communicating with Brian at Contemporary... but everything I have asked about has been a big fat no!

I have seen some awesome cakes on here and the price is not the issue.... but it seems like NO is all I am getting as a response.

Here is what I asked for originally.... vanilla cake, white chocolate mousse filling, whipped icing, with white chocolate bridal Mickey and Minnie and sliced strawberries...

First response, no on whipped, can do the cream cheese buttercream and that is ok.... no on the sliced strawberries since it won't be stable with the bridal...
So I asked well, what about the little mickey heads around the cake in a light blue with blue hydrangeas (instead if strawberries)
Nope, can;t get light blue and can't get hydrangeas.....

Now, I don't really know what to decide on.... I want a special cake for our anniversary.. our flowers were hydrangeas and our color was periwinkle... but they can't do either..... SIGH!

I guess I will post what I pick and then post a pic after we get it but I am already disappointed!

I am really getting frustrated. I am trying to get a cake done and have been communicating with Brian at Contemporary... but everything I have asked about has been a big fat no! I have seen some awesome cakes on here and the price is not the issue.... but it seems like NO is all I am getting as a response. Here is what I asked for originally.... vanilla cake, white chocolate mousse filling, whipped icing, with white chocolate bridal Mickey and Minnie and sliced strawberries... First response, no on whipped, can do the cream cheese buttercream and that is ok.... no on the sliced strawberries since it won't be stable with the bridal... So I asked well, what about the little mickey heads around the cake in a light blue with blue hydrangeas (instead if strawberries) Nope, can;t get light blue and can't get hydrangeas..... Now, I don't really know what to decide on.... I want a special cake for our anniversary.. our flowers were hydrangeas and our color was periwinkle... but they can't do either..... SIGH! I guess I will post what I pick and then post a pic after we get it but I am already disappointed!

I ran into this too but with private dining at the Beach Club. All the pictures I sent to them that I had found on the internet they told me no. I finally asked them to send me a picture if what they could do and ended up picking Lady and the Tramp. It is our 15 year anniversary and I really wanted something special. I guess it will do. I just didn't want the same old white chocolate Mickey and Minnie I keep seeing.

I'm so excited about my son's 3D Jedi Mickey cake in about an hour. He has no idea it is coming to dinner at 6:20. I'll try to post pictures of it when we get back home.

Here is what I asked for originally.... vanilla cake, white chocolate mousse filling, whipped icing, with white chocolate bridal Mickey and Minnie and sliced strawberries...

First response, no on whipped, can do the cream cheese buttercream and that is ok.... no on the sliced strawberries since it won't be stable with the bridal...

What if you had Mickey and Minnie on the plate so you could keep your sliced strawberries?

So I asked well, what about the little mickey heads around the cake in a light blue with blue hydrangeas (instead if strawberries)
Nope, can;t get light blue and can't get hydrangeas.....

Did he say which shades of blue you *can* get? Or what about if you had it covered in fondant over the buttercream and they tinted that to the shade you want?

My apologies in advance if this has already been posted, but as of this past Tuesday, Star Wars characters are now available for custom cake requests!

My brother is celebrating his 30th birthday during SWW and I wanted him to have a cake featuring his favorite character, Boba Fett, for his birthday dinner at AP. When I originally called, I was told having that character would be iffy and to be prepared with a second choice. (Which I was.) Much to my delight, one of the cake decorators at the Contemporary got back to me on Wednesday morning and told me the good news about Star Wars. The Boba Fett cake is officially a "go!" :thumbsup2

i wish i had the same response from the boardwalk bakery. They said no to anything star wars to me. No jedi mickey and no to just the words "star wars weekend" i ordered a different cake but now wish i went through the contemporary.

I promised DD a graduation party with her FL family in a few weeks. There will be 10 of us total, now the cake situation is not looking good. Should I have SIL stop at Publix on the way in? I don't want a frozen cake and I wanted it decorated but I also don't want to pay $100!!! We are staying at the BC and I have left several messages on the cake hotline to no avail.

i wish i had the same response from the boardwalk bakery. They said no to anything star wars to me. No jedi mickey and no to just the words "star wars weekend" i ordered a different cake but now wish i went through the contemporary.

I was told by a chef at Disney that Disney just got licensing for Star Wars images this week.

I promised DD a graduation party with her FL family in a few weeks. There will be 10 of us total, now the cake situation is not looking good. Should I have SIL stop at Publix on the way in? I don't want a frozen cake and I wanted it decorated but I also don't want to pay $100!!! We are staying at the BC and I have left several messages on the cake hotline to no avail.

Call Yacht & Beach Club Private Dining Directly at the number listed in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2 When you order a custom Disney cake it is not frozen. Disney will never be as cheap as Publix, though.

I am thinking about ordering a custom cake for DH and I to enjoy on our anniversary trip this October, I have a few months still but was hoping for some input on which option I should go with.

I am hoping to get a 2 tier mini cake with red velvet cake and cream cheese icing. For decoration I am planning to e-mail pictures of our wedding cake to use as inspiration. It should be a pretty simple design but I am still expecting a bit of run around based on what I have read here.

Here are my options:
1.) Made by Boardwalk Bakery and delivered to Pop (where we are staying). I wonder if I am missing out on the full effect by not having it delivered to us at a restaurant.

2.) Made by the Bakery at the Grand Floridian and served at 'Ohana on our arrival night.

I don't want it at our actual anniversary meal at Citricos because I want to enjoy their actual dessert menu :) Any opinion on whether receiving a cake at a restaurant or resort is better? What about bakery preference for that type of cake?

Because you want red velvet, you'll need to go through Pop Century to have BoardWalk Bakery make it. The GF is super-stingy about which flavors they'll let you have with a mini cake—only all-chocolate or all-vanilla (well, or cheese cake for the 1-tier mini cake with the white chocolate castle topper). I really don't think the effect will be any less if you have it delivered to your room, especially since restaurant deliveries are sometimes forgotten by the waitstaff and you have to tell them to go get the cake for you anyway.

AllyinWonderland said:
I am thinking about ordering a custom cake for DH and I to enjoy on our anniversary trip this October, I have a few months still but was hoping for some input on which option I should go with.

I am hoping to get a 2 tier mini cake with red velvet cake and cream cheese icing. For decoration I am planning to e-mail pictures of our wedding cake to use as inspiration. It should be a pretty simple design but I am still expecting a bit of run around based on what I have read here.

Here are my options:
1.) Made by Boardwalk Bakery and delivered to Pop (where we are staying). I wonder if I am missing out on the full effect by not having it delivered to us at a restaurant.

2.) Made by the Bakery at the Grand Floridian and served at 'Ohana on our arrival night.

I don't want it at our actual anniversary meal at Citricos because I want to enjoy their actual dessert menu :) Any opinion on whether receiving a cake at a restaurant or resort is better? What about bakery preference for that type of cake?

I understand that the resorts (not sure if they all do but sure someone will know) generally lay the cake out quite nicely with a table cloth and such, so that might be almost as nice as a restaurant.

Because you want red velvet, you'll need to go through Pop Century to have BoardWalk Bakery make it. The GF is super-stingy about which flavors they'll let you have with a mini cake—only all-chocolate or all-vanilla (well, or cheese cake for the 1-tier mini cake with the white chocolate castle topper). I really don't think the effect will be any less if you have it delivered to your room, especially since restaurant deliveries are sometimes forgotten by the waitstaff and you have to tell them to go get the cake for you anyway.

Perfect, thank you. I'm going into this prepared to get the run around with customization.

I think I have finally figured out how to post my cake pics! :woohoo: Its been a while but here is the cake I ordered at Halloween. We got it from the Contemporary, for around $75 and picked it up at The Wave. Its a chocolate mini tier cake with white chocolate mouse filling, covered in fondant and decorated with the "Haunted Mansion Treatment".......

Here posed with the mansion guard dogs..... :rotfl:
395aef96-621c-4cc0-b5a6-ebfa40d0575e_zps069f937d.jpg

There was lots of detail in the gum paste decorations, I still have the roses!
d8b2e65d-8a2e-4b33-ab43-41aa1f9e5b95_zps41df9348.jpg

I was surprised to see so many layers in such a tiny cake.
c69de872-6002-4555-9750-867af8a2118d_zps54882264.jpg

I think I have finally figured out how to post my cake pics! :woohoo: Its been a while but here is the cake I ordered at Halloween. We got it from the Contemporary, for around $75 and picked it up at The Wave. Its a chocolate mini tier cake with white chocolate mouse filling, covered in fondant and decorated with the "Haunted Mansion Treatment".......

Here posed with the mansion guard dogs..... :rotfl:
395aef96-621c-4cc0-b5a6-ebfa40d0575e_zps069f937d.jpg

There was lots of detail in the gum paste decorations, I still have the roses!
d8b2e65d-8a2e-4b33-ab43-41aa1f9e5b95_zps41df9348.jpg

I was surprised to see so many layers in such a tiny cake.
c69de872-6002-4555-9750-867af8a2118d_zps54882264.jpg

I Love the cake! What is the story about the hounds though? LOL

I Love the cake! What is the story about the hounds though? LOL

We are very active competing with our Border Collies (Blaze on the left & Puck on the right) in agility & herding. Since we couldn't take them with us on our trip, we decided to take little figures that looked like them to WDW. So while we were there we took lots of pics with them looking all around and having a blast at F&WF and MNSSHP! :cool1:

The best part was when we bumped into another group taking pics with a tiny dinosaur & a little plastic hat! We got a group shot of that one. :rotfl2:

I have ordered a cake for pick up at The Boardwalk can I contact and have it delivered to Old Key West ? If so where do I pick it up at Old Key West ?

No. If you ask BoardWalk Bakery, they will say they don't deliver. You have to place the cake order through Old Key West to have it delivered at Old Key West. You could try calling the number for OKW in Post #2 and explaining that you've already placed the order but you want to have them sync up with BWB to have it delivered. But if that gets complicated it may just be easier to cancel and place the order all over again through OKW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter