Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boardwalk bakery is so delicious! Hands down the best quick service desserts!! I had given up all hope on a decent cupcake until I found the boardwalk bakery...yum!!

Anyone have a Frozen themed cake made yet?? My son wants an Olaf bday cake and I have some idea of what I want but would love to see if anyone else has had one made at Disney. Thanks!

Anyone have a Frozen themed cake made yet?? My son wants an Olaf bday cake and I have some idea of what I want but would love to see if anyone else has had one made at Disney. Thanks!

I had 2 mini cakes themed Olaf made and delivered to chef mickeys. I posted pics and info on page 4 of this thread.

Yesterday, I called the Epcot cake line about ordering a custom cake for my DS's birthday to be delivered to Garden Grill on June 4. I specifically said "custom cake," but the (very nice) CM rattled off the list of standard options. So I asked again about a totally custom design and explained what I was looking for:
6 inch
Marble cake
Buttercream frosting
Designed to look like Mickey's pants--red frosting (not fondant!) with two white buttons (fondant okay for those) and a Mickey ear hat topper (fondant also okay for that), preferably with DS's name piped on the hat. I let the CM know I had inspiration photos I could send, so she gave me an e-mail address. Hoping to hear back soon with a price!

Where are all the picture??? Seems very difficult to get a decent looking cake at Disney. Very surprising.

If you look at lurkloo's first post in this thread, you'll find links to several previous threads where there are many cake pictures to sift through.

Why do you think it is "difficult to get a decent looking cake"? Many of the examples on this thread and others are lovely, highly detailed cakes. A few are not necessarily my cup of tea, but those appear to be the exceptions (and even then the people who ordered them seem to have gotten what they wanted and are perfectly satisfied). :confused3

Does anyone know if I can order a 6 inch cake in standard flavors but get it baked fresh? I just don't want a defrosted frozen cake. I would want it delivered for my son's birthday dinner at Chef Mickey's but I could pick it up if necessary.

If those only come originally frozen what are the options for getting a fresh cake? I'll get a larger cake if necessary but we are only going to be a group of 5 and not huge dessert eaters.

Thanks.

Ugh. Frustrated after receiving an e-mail response about my cake tonight.

I think some of what has rubbed me the wrong way was the tone of the response. It seemed very snippy--almost punishing.

"We do not make specialty cakes in 6” or in marble. We also do not make 8” cakes in marble so I will be up-charging $15."

I don't necessarily mind that they charge more for marble--it was really the tone that bothered me. I mean, obviously you DO make them in marble since you're offering to do it for an additional charge, right? So wouldn't it be better customer service to say, "Marble cake requires an additional charge of $15. Is this the option you would like?"

However, I DO mind that I have to get an 8" cake. We're a family of 3. We're staying off site. We just don't need an 8" cake. I don't even mind the price--at $80 it is about what I expected, and I could always axe the marble to bring it down further. I just don't want to see all that extra cake wasted for absolutely no reason.

Sigh. I told the CM I would have to think it over, but I'm no longer super excited about placing the order. Problem is, this is DS's birthday party! The trip to WDW is both his present and his party, and I know he is excited about having a birthday cake. So I have to figure something out.

As an aside, I also thought it was weird that they refused to pipe a name onto the Mickey ear hat topper because that would be "defacing Mickey." Right...you guys know they sell ear hats with names stitched on them at the parks, right??? :rotfl:

Mmm, it doesn't sound promising for my son's birthday cake either then. I also just want to order a small cake, nothing fancy, just a freshly baked birthday cake. :(

Genevieve, I am guessing that Epcot is the reason they are saying about the 8" cake, as we just had a 6" specialty cake done in March of this year delivered to our room at AoA, and also had a 6 inch specialty delivered to Kona a couple years ago. Granted, we did have fondant on the one this year, which may make the difference (my eldest LOVES fondant), but I would not think that would be a huge issue. I don't know if it works for you to do, but my suggestion would be to contact maybe Boardwalk bakery about doing the cake in the size you want and you can arrange for pick up?

Does anyone know if I can order a 6 inch cake in standard flavors but get it baked fresh? I just don't want a defrosted frozen cake. I would want it delivered for my son's birthday dinner at Chef Mickey's but I could pick it up if necessary.

If those only come originally frozen what are the options for getting a fresh cake? I'll get a larger cake if necessary but we are only going to be a group of 5 and not huge dessert eaters.

Thanks.

When you call ahead to place a cake order from a Disney-owned and operated location, you get a fresh cake. (I can't vouch for the cakes made by an outside vendor for the non-Disney-owned Epcot restaurants, though.)

According to Disney, even the 6-inch "podium cakes" you get when you just request one on the day-of at a restaurant are never frozen. However, I once had a cast member tell me my podium cake would have to be "defrosted," but I suppose he could have just meant they were taking it out of the fridge.

Ugh. Frustrated after receiving an e-mail response about my cake tonight.

I think some of what has rubbed me the wrong way was the tone of the response. It seemed very snippy--almost punishing.

"We do not make specialty cakes in 6” or in marble. We also do not make 8” cakes in marble so I will be up-charging $15."

I don't necessarily mind that they charge more for marble--it was really the tone that bothered me. I mean, obviously you DO make them in marble since you're offering to do it for an additional charge, right? So wouldn't it be better customer service to say, "Marble cake requires an additional charge of $15. Is this the option you would like?"

However, I DO mind that I have to get an 8" cake. We're a family of 3. We're staying off site. We just don't need an 8" cake. I don't even mind the price--at $80 it is about what I expected, and I could always axe the marble to bring it down further. I just don't want to see all that extra cake wasted for absolutely no reason.

Many of the pastry teams on property refuse to customize anything smaller than an 8-inch cake, unfortunately. But I agree that the wording of that email was a bit funky! Maybe they need a standard email template to work from...

Just got off the phone with Caribbean beach resort lady and order my dd 28 a mini cake for her belated birthday to be delivered to our room our first night. She has no clue and I can't wait until she gets it. The lady was sooo nice on the phone.

Oh good to know, I will call and order a birthday cake closer to our trip. I want it for our dinner at Chef Mickey's so it sounds like that will work out. :goodvibes

Thinking about doing the princess package at CRT for my daughter's fifth birthday in September. We have lunch reservations. I know they won't store the cake, so what does everyone do with the leftover cake if they are not planning to go back to their resort until late in the evening? There are only three of us, so I know there would be leftovers.

We always have had a cake at dinner at 1900 Park Fare at GF. They box up the left over cake and I've taken the cake over to the bell hop who puts it's in their refrig unit and we pick it up after visiting the MK on our way back to our hotel. Unfortunately, CRT doesn't have this option. I would think that the Contemporary Hotel or Polynesian would do the same.

Karen

That would definitely rub me the wrong way as well. It does make me think that perhaps english is not her first language. I would be able to forgive that tone if I found out that to be the case, although I would still offer feedback to their manager because that tone should not be one coming from disney.

Many of the pastry teams on property refuse to customize anything smaller than an 8-inch cake, unfortunately. But I agree that the wording of that email was a bit funky! Maybe they need a standard email template to work from...

Which is odd because they will customize the teeny-tiny mini cakes!

After thinking it over, we decided to bite the bullet and go with the 8". I think we might see about getting a locker for the leftovers...or just sacrificing any "pretty" leftovers in favor of slicing up the cake and throwing it in a Take-Along container to be tossed in our park bag. I did decide against the up-charged marble cake, though, and just went with plain white cake. Here's hoping it turns out well! :goodvibes

Missastrocat, curious if you were happy with your cake since it differs from the design you gave them?

This is what I am worried about, giving them a sketch of what we want and them creating something different. I would welcome all opinions from whomever is reading this. Thank you!

I was happy with my cake, but it was definitely different than what I envisioned. I had the 8 inch cake I think created by the time it was all said and done. The cake cost about $80 I believe. I worked with Pat via email and phone, and she just wouldn't budge on making a small 2 level cake that was a flavor other than chocolate or vanilla. In order to get the red velvet I had to go up to the 8inch cake. The cake tasted delicious and the tartan pattern was really well done. Could have done without the fake pearls on the border. I was okay with the fondant on the outside when I knew that there would be plenty of buttercream frosting underneath.

I'm going back again this year for our 5th anniversary/my birthday and I'm going to stick to my guns and have just a mini cake (for 2) made. Hope this helps!

My apologies in advance if this has already been posted, but as of this past Tuesday, Star Wars characters are now available for custom cake requests!

My brother is celebrating his 30th birthday during SWW and I wanted him to have a cake featuring his favorite character, Boba Fett, for his birthday dinner at AP. When I originally called, I was told having that character would be iffy and to be prepared with a second choice. (Which I was.) Much to my delight, one of the cake decorators at the Contemporary got back to me on Wednesday morning and told me the good news about Star Wars. The Boba Fett cake is officially a "go!" :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter