Official Camping Recipe Thread!

1 box reg. cake mix ( any flavor)
3 eggs
1/3 c. oil
1 c. water
Mix all ingrediants together and pour batter evenly into a microwaveable bundt pan or cake dish and microwave on medium high for 10 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes if your microwave is not equipped with a turntable. If it's not done, keep microwaving it for intervals of 3 to 4 minutes. Cake is done when it pulls away from the sides of the dish and it looses its "wet" look and/or when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
A white or yellow cake will not brown in the microwave so if you will not be frosting the cake you may wish to use a chocolate mix. Any cake mix will come out very moist and delicious.
We will be using this recipe in our TT microwave at the Fort this Christmas!:woohoo:

Not really a recipe but I like to buy several pounds of on sale ground turkey and brown it at home with onions and green peppers. I divvy it up in meal-sized portions and freeze in Ziplocs. Then at the campground I just add the ground turkey and whatever sauce I want to the crockpot.

Spaghetti: Add spaghetti sauce of your choice. Sometimes I add the noodles to the crockpot (macaroni works best for me), sometimes I cook them separately if we want real spaghetti. When I do the macaroni I stir it in after we get "home", top the whole thing with cheese and cook it on high for about 30 more minutes. We have a salad and garlic bread with this.

Tacos: Taco mix and water. We use this to make big taco salads with all the fixings: lettuce, tortilla chips, beans, canned chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, etc.

Chili: I add Trappey's red beans, black beans, canned tomatoes and chili spices. Sometimes I used frozen cooked and shredded chicken breasts instead of the ground turkey. We'll usually have crackers and some sort of fruit or fruit salad with this.

Sloppy Joes: I use Manwich sauce in the can when we're on the road. We like baked beans (I doctor up the canned ones with ketchup, honey and spices) and broccoli salad with our sloppy joes.

I set the crockpot on low before we leave and dinner is waiting for us when we return. Not exactly gourmet or super healthy, but cheap, filling and easy peasy after a long day at the parks. I don't usually use so much canned stuff at home but our trailer's fridge is small and, anyway, it's my vacation too!

Jennifer

We like to put 1 1/2 - 2 lbs - of round steak cut into serving sizes in the crockpot, cover it with dry beefy onion soup mix and 1 can cr. of mushroom soup and 1 can of cr. of chicken soup (the low fat soups work great). Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8. I serve it over baked potatoes done in a different crockpot or noodles if we have time.

Thanks for all these great recipes. We bought our first camper last fall and will be camping for the first time next weekend locally (weather permitting).

We will be camping at FW 8/08 and DH is already planning our meals! I have copied and pasted many ideas from this thread.

Made beef brisket in the crockpot a few nights ago with cream of mushroom soup, one beef boullion cube and a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce. Everyone loved it served with rice. Thanks for the inspiration for a quick, easy and delicious meal.

Here's an easy crock pot recipe. Get two links of Turkey or Polksa Kielbasa and cut into bite size pieces. Add about 3/4 cup of brown sugar and stir til all the kielbasa is covered. Heat on high for 3- 4 hours or low for 7-8.

This is a great appetizer or meal. When I serve it as a meal I cut back on the brown sugar I use. A nice salad and rice pilaf makes this quick and easy!

We're staying in the cabins in June, these are great ideas. I think I'll pack my crockpot and set some dinners to cook while we're at the parks. :) Thank you!

Getting hungry reading this. We are gona freeze some kabobs to bring down and grill on the 4th of July.

Just made this today

Pork Roast
2 Apples
1 medium onion
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup wine

Cook in crockpot 6 hours until falling apart

Yummy over rice or mashed potatoes!

More suggestions here, mostly from my Mom whom I copy! We would always do some pre-cooking before camping and then there'd only be part of the meal to make which would be something fast. Like : 1) make meatballs & sauce at home, freeze them until that night, then just cook the pasta at the site & grab a loaf of french bread and dinner was done. Or 2) We would also do the same with the hamburger/spices/tomato sauce for American chop suey. And 3) cook cut up boneless chicken breast in gravy and freeze. Then we'd just make a couple boxes of stuffing mix and some vegetables and voila. :clown: Yum!

I do this with my world famous chili. It tastes better the second day (I usually freeze some to take camping) and it is so easy, Just let it thaw during the trip, heat and serve. Also great with some french or italian gread for dipping. Now I am making my mouth water.

If you are looking for a roast recipe you have got to try this one. It is from the What's For Dinner Thread on the Community Board. Everyone over there raves about it. I've made it a couple of times and it is great. Sounds kinds weird with those 3 envelopes but it makes a fantastic gravy. Serve with potatoes or make sandwiches!

beef roast
1 envelope Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1/2 cup water

Place roast in a slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine mixes and water. Whisk together. Pour over roast. Add some cut up celery and carrots to the pot. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours until tender.

I also do this at home in the oven - 350 degrees for about 4 hours.

Here's one I got from Paula Deen's show:

Taco Soup

1 lb of ground beef, needs to be cooked first
chopped onion, to your taste
1 lg can of red kidney beans
2 sm cans of black or pinto beans (drained)
1 lg cans of chopped tomatoes
1 can of mexican style tomatoes
1 can stewed tomates (can use plain of for a little more kick get the ones with the grean chiles)
1 pkg taco mix
1pkg ranch dressing mix

Throw all of this in a crock pot and cook on low while you are at the parks. Serve with corn or tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese.

My family love this, my husband say it tastes like an inside out burrito supreme.

I make a Taco Soup similar to Paula Deens.

1lb ground beef browned with 1 chopped medium sized onion (drain off fat)
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
2 cans chicken broth
1 can corn (drained)
1 lg can diced tomatoes
1 can rotel tomatoes (mild, medium, or hot - whatever you prefer)
1 can pinto beans (drained)
1 cup instant rice

Cook until rice is tender.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and/or flour tortillas.

Macs I was just fixing to ask if anybody had some Kabob recipes. I'm wanting to do some Kabobs as well. I have some shrimp so I'm thinking of making beef, chicken and shrimp. Not on the same stick though. Maybe we can do some one night.

Macs I was just fixing to ask if anybody had some Kabob recipes. I'm wanting to do some Kabobs as well. I have some shrimp so I'm thinking of making beef, chicken and shrimp. Not on the same stick though. Maybe we can do some one night.

Peg got some at our Kroger that we seasoned and marinated before freezing. I am thinking of doing some grilled shrimp on the 4th as well. Maybe a lime and garlic sauce....For the beef we used redwine, garlic, onion powders, montreal seasoning, the chicken is just salt and peper, will put some fresh lemon on it while grilling.,,,,,,,Getting hungry now.pirate:

1 can frozen Bacardi Mixers margherita mix-thawed
1 T minced garlic-fresh is best
1 T fresh cilantro

Mix and marinate meat ( chicken, shrink, flank steak) overnight in the fridge.
Its completely alcohol free and family friendly!

Just want to say we love the cheesy chicken. I make it at home as well as camping. Great taste and so easy!

For those of us who have the luxury of a microwave in our RV , I was at a wedding shower this past week and the bride received a silicone cake pan. According to the wrapping you can prepare a cake in the microwave using this type of pan. Does anyone have a recipe for this that you could make using a cake mix ? This would be great money saver at Fort Wilderness as my children would not be begging me to buy the chocolate cake they sell at the Meadow and Settlement. I have also heard you can cook desserts in a crockpot. Any camping friendly ones to share?

Hi:

For microwave cakes, the typical recipe is one package of cake mix. One can of pie filling and 3 eggs. You can use chocolate cake with cherry pie filling, lemon cake with lemon pie filling. Spice cake with apple pie filling. Mix and match any flavors you want. I typically add 1/4 cup of applesauce to the mix if I use a pie filling with big chunks of fruit it in like the apple or the cherry. You microwave the cake on high for 1000 watt ovens just 1/4 of the time you would normally bake the cake. If you microwave has a higher wattage, microwave at 75% power. Let the cake sit for 1/4 of the microwave cooking time. When the cake is done, it will start to pull away from the edges. The center may still look wet, but during the cooling off time, the microparticles are still cooking the food eventhough the oven is off.

Or, you can take a can of german chocolate cake icing. Spread the icing on the buttom and sides of the pan. Make the cake according to directions. Use applesauce instead of oil for a lower fat cake...place the cake mix directly over top of the icing. Cook for 1/4 of the regular oven cooking time. Let cake sit for 10 minutes, then flip over onto a cake plate. Let the cake sit with the pan on top for another 10 minutes. The cake absorbs the liquid from the icing causing the cake to be really moist and yummy!

Teresa

I got this recipe from my cousin and make it often. It can be doubled, I increase the cooking time a bit. Great served over ice cream!

Lightly grease bottom of crockpot. Place one bag of frozen peaches or 2 cups of fresh sliced peaches. Add 1 TBSP cornstarch, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Toss to mix.

In a seperate bowl mix together 1 box of Jiffy white cake mix or 1/2 of a 181/4 ox white cake mix with 4 TBSP melted butter (mixture will be very thick); spread over fruit.

Cover and cook on high for 3-31/2 hours.

It comes out like a fruit crisp. You can use any fruit you want: frozen, canned or fresh. When using canned fruit I drain the liquid first.

Try this out in the crock pot. Its easy and the FW kids loved it!
1 small jar grape jelly
1 small jar chili sauce
1 package kiebasa, cut up

cook on low 3 hours. serve with crackers and cheese. FW 7/08 !!!!

We do this with frozen meatballs. DH & Kids love them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter