Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the Cake Hotline for the Wilderness Lodge about a month prior to our trip. After explaining to In Room Dining the kind of cake I wanted, the really nice CM gave me the email for Brian over at the Contemporary, who I was told could make the cake and than deliver it to the WL. We emailed back and forth, and I told him that I wanted:

- Rock/Guitar music theme
- No screen printing
- "18" prominently displayed
- Hidden mickeys
- Wall-E (if possible)

He was super awesome, and I scheduled a delivery time of 9PM on my brothers 18th birthday: February 18th.

Here is the cake!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Here is David ecstatic!
web.jpg

(Ignore the eyeliner, it was from the Pirates League)

With delivery, tax and 18% gratuity it came to around $130. It was a rare occassion (an 18th birthday) so I felt it was worth it. David's passion is culinary arts and Disney (I came home one day to find a tye-dye cheesecake..homemade!) He loves Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss, and I think he was just thrilled to have something he could say was for him.

He is also a sweets connoisseur! I'm not a fan of sweets myself, but to anyone who asks him, he says this cake was AWESOME! Having made fondant himself, he couldn't figure out how Brian made it taste so good!

Recently, DW and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary by taking our sons and DILs to WDW. On the actual date anniversary of our wedding we dined at V&A. As a surprise for the family, I sent a photo of our original wedding cake to the YC IPO and they coordinated with the GF bakery to make a replica. The only difference was the cake topper at our wedding was white roses and I wanted to make the replica a little more timely so I ordered a white chocolate Cinderella Castle for the topper. As you can see, it turned out terrific and was incredibly delicious! We shared it with everyone dining at V&A that evening plus, the staff. It was a BIG hit!

WDW200950thAnniv082.jpg

The icing was vanilla butter cream on a yellow cake with chocolate ganache filling. Cost was $540 which included a surcharge of $110 for the topper.

Can you special order these? Is it through the cake hotline? :confused3 Does anyone have a link for some pics ... my "rise Krispie" search only comes up with the make-your-own at Goofy's.

I have no idea if you can special order the big Mickey and Minnie's, but they seem to always have them at the Main Street Confectionary, Goofy's Candy Company and the Candy Cauldron at DTD, and the candy shop at DHS. Here's a pic of the Mickey. I have Minnie somewhere, but can't seem to find her right now.

ry%3D400

UK, I'm sure yours will be painted. Since I ordered the embossed Donalds, I suppose they wanted it to match. And since I had SUCH a time with Linda at GF private dining (back and forth, her arguing I couldn't have it, blah blah blah), I just took what I was given. DH was astounded, and that's all I cared about. Personally, I would've welcomed some color.

He actually still has the sugar roses and the Donald, made it back to home just fine!

Does anyone have a list or know what characters are available for the white chocolate cake topper. Simba is my daughters favourite character and was wondering if this was available. We are having lunch at ctr on her birthday and was hopping to order a cake from private dinning at contempery. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a a white chocloate figerine with choc cover strawberrys instead of a cake or if this is not possible what are the options for cakes other than buttercream icing as my daughter is not a fan of this. thanks

Does anyone have a list or know what characters are available for the white chocolate cake topper. Simba is my daughters favourite character and was wondering if this was available. We are having lunch at ctr on her birthday and was hopping to order a cake from private dinning at contempery. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a a white chocloate figerine with choc cover strawberrys instead of a cake or if this is not possible what are the options for cakes other than buttercream icing as my daughter is not a fan of this. thanks

If you go to HERE and scroll down about mid-way there is a picture showing the white chocolate figures (painted) and the white chocolate monorail.

I recently ordered a cake for my DH for our anniversary. I wanted to recreate his Grooms cake for him since he really didn't get a chance to eat it the first time. I called Pat told her all about it and sent in a pic...Donald Duck pin pirate cake. I had no problems with Pat. She returned my calls right away and was very pleasant to deal with.
The first one I ordered was an 8 inch for $70 but I switched it to the Mad Hatter style and the price was $140.
We had it delivered to GFC. My DH loved it! I think it came out better than the first time! Everything was edible which DH thought was really cool and The cake was chocolate with chocolate mousse filling. It was so moist that we were able to enjoy it all week!

wdw2010083-1.jpg

So I have been reading through this thread, but still have a few questions. We are going for our Honeymoon next March and I want to surprise my future husband with a cake!

I saw the mini wedding cake and I think that is perfect!! Would it be possible to send a pic of our wedding cake and they could design it like that, being a mini one?? How far in advance to I call? Where do I call? and is it possible to email someone??

I saw a price for one about $30?? Is that all it would be for a mini wedding cake?? Can they deliver to any restaurant??

Thanks so much!!

Or my other idea, get an 8 in and have it look somewhat like our wedding cake?? What do you think??

Our anniversary will be the night we are eating at Cape May Cafe for dinner. Two questions, can I get a custom cake delivered there & do they still make the peanut butter cup? If so has anyone had it? Is it good?

I just ordered my cake today. Called the Cake Hotline and connected to the Contemporary's private dining and talked to Shelly. Ordered an 8" Mad Hatter cake, chocolate cake w/ chocolate filling. My daughter's birthday is on St. Patty's day so I requested a something for that and she suggested a shamrock theme with Mickey. I have no idea what they'll do but I'll let you know once we get back. She quoted $100 plus gratuites and tax. It will be delivered to the room at BLT.

So for my 20th birthday my parents surprised me with this cake at Narcoosse's restaurant. The cake was $110 and a customized one through the amazingly talented Pat Anderson. She is now my favorite cast member in disney. It was a 10 inch chocolate cake with buttercream filling and a white choolcate minnie mouse topper!

I'm not trying to complain so don't flame me:goodvibes I have to admit that last time I had a difficult time ordering a custom cake. The eventual outcome however was fabulous! We ended up with a beautiful cake, and wonderful memories. My question is this: Why when I called the GF Bakery to order my custom cake for our dinner at 1900 Park Fare, was I repeatedly transferred to the cake hotline? How do I get in touch with the Chefs themselves?:confused3

Our anniversary will be the night we are eating at Cape May Cafe for dinner. Two questions, can I get a custom cake delivered there & do they still make the peanut butter cup? If so has anyone had it? Is it good?

Peanut butter cup is only available at certain bakeries. The Grand Floridian definitely does it, but the Contemporary doesn't. You'll have to ask Private Dining at the Yacht & Beach Club when you call to order the cake. We've had it twice. I thought it was great until I had the peanut butter chocolate cake slices they sell out of the case at BoardWalk Bakery. Now I think it's just OK.... :snooty: :rotfl:

I'm not trying to complain so don't flame me:goodvibes I have to admit that last time I had a difficult time ordering a custom cake. The eventual outcome however was fabulous! We ended up with a beautiful cake, and wonderful memories. My question is this: Why when I called the GF Bakery to order my custom cake for our dinner at 1900 Park Fare, was I repeatedly transferred to the cake hotline? How do I get in touch with the Chefs themselves?:confused3

The Contemporary and the Yacht/Beach seem to be the only bakeries where you ever get to speak directly with the pastry chefs. At the Grand Floridian, everything goes through Pat. Usually if you stress the word "custom" enough the person on the phone will figure out that you don't want a prefab Cake Hotline cake. You could also try using the word "fondant"... :lmao:

So is there really anyway to get a mad hatter style cake under 100 dollars???

I would like a smaller version of all the ones I've seen, but i see you can't have personalized cakes under 10 inch! Anyone able to get a 6-8 inch one??

Has anybody had a cake for illuminations cruise?

If so did you order from BC/YC private dining to be delivered to the cruise or from Broadwalk Bakery and pick the cake up and take it with you?

Belle5,

Thanks for your kind wishes. Nobody in the family knew the cake was coming. DW was truly surprised. As soon as we were seated, Executive Chef Scott Hunnel and the pastry chef from the GF bakery wheeled it in and presented it. They stayed for a bit and we had a very nice visit with them.

The staff at V&A could not have been more attentive that evening. It was a truly memorable occasion. In fact, they packed up the castle topper and we brought it home with us. We still have a large piece in the refrigerator. We're savoring it slowly as we recall all of the wonderful events of our anniversary week. . . which included several days at the IF&WF.

So for my 20th birthday my parents surprised me with this cake at Narcoosse's restaurant. The cake was $110 and a customized one through the amazingly talented Pat Anderson. She is now my favorite cast member in disney. It was a 10 inch chocolate cake with buttercream filling and a white choolcate minnie mouse topper!

I can't see your pics. :( Can everyone else see them?

Belle5,

Thanks for your kind wishes. Nobody in the family knew the cake was coming. DW was truly surprised. As soon as we were seated, Executive Chef Scott Hunnel and the pastry chef from the GF bakery wheeled it in and presented it. They stayed for a bit and we had a very nice visit with them.

The staff at V&A could not have been more attentive that evening. It was a truly memorable occasion. In fact, they packed up the castle topper and we brought it home with us. We still have a large piece in the refrigerator. We're savoring it slowly as we recall all of the wonderful events of our anniversary week. . . which included several days at the IF&WF.

You did well! That was a beautiful cake. I'm glad you all had a special anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter