Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited I finally got rid of DH for a few hours and I was able to call in room dining at AKL. I ordered the zebra cake. DH LOVED the amarula he bought 2 bottles of it to bring home so when they said that it had the amarula cream in it I knew that was the cake. I also orderes the toasting package with Magicale to be delivered to our villa with it. Now I just have to get DH his watch and my anniversary present to DH is complete. Thanks for all your help.

Now to decide what to order for the kids when we go on Dec!!
Hi there, Just curious. If you don't mind me asking. What is the toasting package and what does it consist of???TIA
Linda

ok Folks, we are getting to the 250 page per thread maximum.

Any ideas or suggestions for guidelines for new thread? :confused3

thanks!

I love this thread as well as the cake gallery one.:thumbsup2 It's been nice to have a seperate thread of just pics and their info. and then another to ask questions, etc.

I guess an idea would be to simplify the info. at the beginning of this thread. Perhaps include the info. from the cake thread II as it contained the cake hotline number, flavor options, etc. That way people can come to the chatter thread and see on the 1st page what they need to know for ordering a cake.

I don't think the gallery thread needs anything, it's great!:goodvibes Thanks for putting it all together!

I love this thread as well as the cake gallery one.:thumbsup2 It's been nice to have a seperate thread of just pics and their info. and then another to ask questions, etc.

I guess an idea would be to simplify the info. at the beginning of this thread. Perhaps include the info. from the cake thread II as it contained the cake hotline number, flavor options, etc. That way people can come to the chatter thread and see on the 1st page what they need to know for ordering a cake.

I don't think the gallery thread needs anything, it's great!:goodvibes Thanks for putting it all together!

I agree! :thumbsup2

Hi there, Just curious. If you don't mind me asking. What is the toasting package and what does it consist of???TIA
Linda

To tell you the truth I have no clue really. I ordered the cake and asked about a bottle of wine/champagne I knew we enjoyed Magicale when we went in Dec so I asked about that and he said it was part of the toasting package and thats how I could add it. I know he said it came with toasting flutes for us to keep and the bottle of sparkling wine but I am not sure what else is included I think that is all though. Worked great for me. I don't even know the price of anything I was just too excited. DH and I never got a honeymoon and since its our 10th I figured we deserve it!!

I am going to do this in 2 posts b/c I want to tell you all my experience w/ ordering a cake, but also allow the moderator to only have the basic info to post in the gallery.

I initially called the hotline 10 days before our trip. I missed the callback and tried again the next morning. I received the next callback w/in an hour and the CM was very pleasant, but didn't quite understand what I wanted & she told me someone else would call me. Chef Eddie (WCC & AP) called the following day, but he thought I had questions relating to allergies and a celebratory cake, etc. He was so awesome and I told him my ideas so he gave me the email to the Contemporary bakery and said either Jesse (Jessie) or Brian would write back. Brian did and told me he could do a 10" cake. I wrote back and forth w/ him and he was nice enough to even write me back regarding page 240 & post 3590 and page 241 & post 3601. He told me he said 10 in. b/c of the cake decor that I requested. I did have issues placing the actual order b/c the CM at WL dining was clueless as to what I was ordering. I explained talking to Brian and hoped that would be enough, but when I said it would be passion fruit mousse the CM kept insisting they only had, “Choc. Mousse”. I finally told her Chef Brian knew what I wanted and I crossed my fingers we’d be ok. (after emailing him again…sorry Brian)

We had a late ressie at Artist Point and our waiter, Jim, was great, but he knew nothing of the cake I ordered. The host wished my mom a 'Happy B-day', the menus said 'Happy B-day', but Jim told her to pick whatever dessert she wanted off the menu. Thankfully she knew about "a cake", so I told him there should be one. He definitely was not prepared or happy that he didn't know ahead of time. I mean- he'd done such a great job all night that I could tell he was frustrated. We started placing bets at the table that the cake was either frozen, or not there, or had gone to another table (it seemed to be a popular b-day weekend). But, THANKFULLY Jim came out w/ it about 10 minutes later. After pics it was taken to the kitchen and Chef Eddie came out. It was nice to meet him after speaking with him on the phone.

My mom was more than happy which is all that mattered. I will say that the cake was great! The passion fruit mousse was awesome (better than I had remembered from our wedding planning session), the cake was SOOOO moist, the buttercream was good- not too sweet, and the fondant actually tasted good!!!

However, after the anxiety attack over the cake not being there I was a little perturbed that there was an 18% auto grat when asked to I put the cake on a separate tab. I already planned on over tipping Jim for dinner, but the 18% tip on the cake was not going to Brian and AP dropped the ball- so I don't think our server should've gotten it. (And I have been a fine dining server so I know how things typically go) Had everything gone smoothly I never would've thought twice. What I'm saying is with my experience I wish Brian got my cake tip and not our server. Brian deserved it-- Jim did not. Over all, my mom was happy and that is what mattered. Plus the cake looked great and tasted good. I think I will wait till there are more of us to order/enjoy a cake, but after having a fabulous wedding cake, yummy anniversary cake, and now awesome b-day cake--- I will most certainly order another WDW bakery cake. They have done a great job for my events! Big shout out/Thank you to them!!

I am going to do this in 2 posts b/c I want to tell you all my experience w/ ordering a cake, but also allow the moderator to only have the basic info to post in the gallery.

Price: $135 plus tax and tip= 169.00
Date: 2/20/10
Cake: 10" round w/ fondant
Vanilla with Passion Fruit Mousse
It's a Small World Theme

My requirements to Chef Brian:
*graphic small world dolls (I sent pics)
*yellow cake with passion fruit mousse
*fondant
*IASW theme to definitely include a child (she's from the final scene) who has pink hair, wears a sparkly silver dress w/ light pink trim. (She's my mom's favorite)
*Happy Birthday written in a couple of different languages ( I asked the do them like the farewell signs in the attraction, but that didn’t happen which is OK)
*A heart. It can be as tiny as a hidden mickey or even dot and "I", but it's something that has to be there

Here's her cake (I apologize ahead of time for the picture overload!)
IMG00231-20100220-2215.jpg

IMG00217-20100220-2212-1.jpg

IMG00219-20100220-2212-2.jpg

IMG00222-20100220-2213.jpg

IMG00226-20100220-2214.jpg

IMG00227-20100220-2214.jpg

IMG00365-20100221-1910.jpg

IMG00367-20100221-1911.jpg

IMG00236-20100220-2227.jpg

Hello everyone. I have been reading the posts for several weeks now, trying to get ideas for our up comming trip. Today I noticed a small cake from the GF posted by lurkyloo. This size would be great for us. I was looking for some more info - should I call the GF bakery to order? was the decorations a custom order? flavor? and price?

Thanks for all the help. All of the cakes are just beautiful !!!

Call the Grand Floridian and ask to speak to someone in private dining about a fancy custom cake. To get that one I think you mean (with the swirls and flowers - right?) you would ask for a mini "Mad Hatter" cake, and they'll tell you what your flavor choices are. I think they run about $30. :thumbsup2

Any ideas or suggestions for guidelines for new thread?

thanks!

I think it would be helpful if the first post in the thread covered the following points:

- There is no email address you can write to with a cake inquiry, and there is no Disney-run web site with cake choices. You have to call to find out what your options are.

- If you want a cake to be served at a restaurant, call the Cake Hotline (407-827-2253).

- If you want a cake for your resort room, call Private Dining at your resort. People have had mixed success trying to get cakes delivered to resorts that don't offer Private Dining - occasionally someone has been able to pick one up in the food court/restaurant.

- If you want a fancy, fondant-covered cake at a restaurant, call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian, The Contemporary, BoardWalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Yacht & Beach Club. You will need to be dining or staying at the resort whose bakery you choose.

- If you want a fancy cake at the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge, you may be able to have one made and delivered by the bakery at The Contemporary. Call Private Dining to see what your options are.

- In general, it is not possible to get a fancy, fondant-covered cake inside a theme park unless you are having a private event and pay to have one transported in. One exception: a few people have been able to get one delivered to Cinderella's Royal Table by the Contemporary's bakery.

- Only BoardWalk Bakery allows you to order cakes for pick-up - none of the other resort bakeries have storefronts.

- The only way to know for sure what options are available and what the prices are is to call either the Cake Hotline or Private Dining at the resort you want. The information in this thread is strictly anecdotal. ;)

Whew - sorry it's so long, but these seem to be the basic questions asked over and over again. :thumbsup2

*Happy Birthday written in a couple of different languages ( I asked the do them like the farewell signs in the attraction, but that didn’t happen which is OK)

It's a beautiful cake ... but if Chef Brian reads this ;) you made a mistake in the French phrase. Happy Birthday would translate to "Bonne Fete," and if you wanted Happy Anniversary, it should have been "Joyeux Anniversaire" which only has one "E".

Not that any of us here are perfectionists! :rotfl:

It's a beautiful cake ... but if Chef Brian reads this ;) you made a mistake in the French phrase. Happy Birthday would translate to "Bonne Fete," and if you wanted Happy Anniversary, it should have been "Joyeux Anniversaire" which only has one "E".

Not that any of us here are perfectionists! :rotfl:

Bonne fete, is for your saints day ie if you are named after a saint (which most french people are) you would say bonne fete.
happy birthday is indeed joyeux anniversaire - with one e - chef brian however, did get it right...
i too an a perfectionist;)

has anyone every seen a test track cake?? my DS LOVES test track.. its is favorite ride.. I was thinking that may be an easy one to do..

i was looking for an idea for our wedding anniversary- any suggestions?
we are dining all over the place due to free ddp, but 1st night is at CM - where can i get a cake for CM from, would like something "special", dh loves grumpy and would like something with symbols for each of our kids, goofy for eldest, stitch and dd would be belle (im tink;)) any suggestions...
i also have food allergies so would speaking to chef Brian be the way to go- he seems like the main man for "special requests"??
thanks
tx

kcampbell,

I,too, would like to know if you were happy with your cake. I am especially interested in the taste/flavor combination. I think it looks really terrific!

I think it would be helpful if the first post in the thread covered the following points:

- There is no email address you can write to with a cake inquiry, and there is no Disney-run web site with cake choices. You have to call to find out what your options are.

- If you want a cake to be served at a restaurant, call the Cake Hotline (407-827-2253).

- If you want a cake for your resort room, call Private Dining at your resort. People have had mixed success trying to get cakes delivered to resorts that don't offer Private Dining - occasionally someone has been able to pick one up in the food court/restaurant.

- If you want a fancy, fondant-covered cake at a restaurant, call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian, The Contemporary, BoardWalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Yacht & Beach Club. You will need to be dining or staying at the resort whose bakery you choose.

- If you want a fancy cake at the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge, you may be able to have one made and delivered by the bakery at The Contemporary. Call Private Dining to see what your options are.

- In general, it is not possible to get a fancy, fondant-covered cake inside a theme park unless you are having a private event and pay to have one transported in. One exception: a few people have been able to get one delivered to Cinderella's Royal Table by the Contemporary's bakery.

- Only BoardWalk Bakery allows you to order cakes for pick-up - none of the other resort bakeries have storefronts.

- The only way to know for sure what options are available and what the prices are is to call either the Cake Hotline or Private Dining at the resort you want. The information in this thread is strictly anecdotal. ;)

Whew - sorry it's so long, but these seem to be the basic questions asked over and over again. :thumbsup2

I agree this should be in the first post. I had some questions myself, and this post has answered several of them.

:thumbsup2 Fabulous suggestions! I was waiting thinking I just know Luryloo was going to post a suggestion and that it would be right on the money sister! For instance, I didn't know that the CR bakery could possibly make a cake for the Polynesian. Great info and totally should be included in the first page of the new thread. Great job Nancy Drew!:goodvibes

A little OT but I've been enjoying your TR too! I don't know how you managed to eat at Blue Zoo with those impaled fish staring at you! How bizarre.:laughing:

Call the Grand Floridian and ask to speak to someone in private dining about a fancy custom cake. To get that one I think you mean (with the swirls and flowers - right?) you would ask for a mini "Mad Hatter" cake, and they'll tell you what your flavor choices are. I think they run about $30. :thumbsup2

I am interested in a "mini" as well seeing its just me and bf...how do u find the GF phone #??? I tried looking in the tread but its just to long. TIA

I don't think I ever posted details of the cake I got for my BF (at the time I ordered it), who was my fiance when it was delivered on his birthday! I ordered it from Private Dining at the AKL and had it delivered to our room at the resort.

I asked for a Toy Story theme, with fondant that looked like clouds with characters on top. I left it open to the chef and I was pleased with the cake. Unfortunately we were too full from our private meal from the Sunset Safari to eat much of it (we did try it), but it sat in the fridge for the remainder of our trip.

Theme: Toy Story
Size: 8" fondant covered
Flavor: white cake with strawberries and custard filling
Price: $80.39 out the door

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7f43f000000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7cc2c300000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7d43f200000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7b43f400000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

I took a lot of photos for this thread!

Thanks to lurkyloo with her tips on how to get what I wanted! :thumbsup2

A little OT but I've been enjoying your TR too! I don't know how you managed to eat at Blue Zoo with those impaled fish staring at you! How bizarre.:laughing:

:rotfl: Yeah, when it comes to cake, I am on the case! :magnify: And I'm so glad to hear you like the report!

I am interested in a "mini" as well seeing its just me and bf...how do u find the GF phone #??? I tried looking in the tread but its just to long. TIA

I usually just Google the name of the resort + "phone," then call the front desk and ask to be transfered to Private Dining. However, the Grand Floridian does have a direct line you can call: 407-824-2474 :thumbsup2

I don't think I ever posted details of the cake I got for my BF (at the time I ordered it), who was my fiance when it was delivered on his birthday! I ordered it from Private Dining at the AKL and had it delivered to our room at the resort.

I asked for a Toy Story theme, with fondant that looked like clouds with characters on top. I left it open to the chef and I was pleased with the cake. Unfortunately we were too full from our private meal from the Sunset Safari to eat much of it (we did try it), but it sat in the fridge for the remainder of our trip.

Thanks to lurkyloo with her tips on how to get what I wanted! :thumbsup2

I'm so glad it worked out for you - and congrats on your engagement! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!