"Official" 2018 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Holiday Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice: this is our first visit, and I have two five year olds with limited patience. I keep seeing people say they got a spot 30, 45, 60 minutes before the various events (shows, parades, fireworks). There is no way my boys will want to do that. Is there any point in trying to watch anything without getting a spot early? Would it be terrible if we skipped the entertainment in favor of snacks, rides, and general wandering around? Thank you!
Do you think they’d enjoy the entertainment? You can certainly watch the fireworks from anywhere in the park, and many enjoy watching the castle shows from a distance. The parade is a bit trickier. You’d be able to stroll up later maybe in Fronteirland. But they might lose interest if they’re a couple of rows back. Visibility issues would cone into play.

I need some advice: this is our first visit, and I have two five year olds with limited patience. I keep seeing people say they got a spot 30, 45, 60 minutes before the various events (shows, parades, fireworks). There is no way my boys will want to do that. Is there any point in trying to watch anything without getting a spot early? Would it be terrible if we skipped the entertainment in favor of snacks, rides, and general wandering around? Thank you!
Frontierland offers some up front parade viewing with practically no wait. Bonus: stand near the shooting range and the boys will be the happiest buggers in the land, you'll be lucky if they watch the parade.

Nothing you do would be terrible. You just figure out what works best for your family and do it. When we attend events (or even just park days), our kids basically want to focus on rides. They don't care about any of the shows and we never attend them, same with characters. My kids are 14 and 9 now and have been going twice a year since my oldest was 2. I think I have waited in line for a character 5 times at the most. They just don't care about them at all. They will do the parade, but don't HAVE to do it (they do it for me) and sometimes we watch the fireworks, but not most times.

Figure out what YOUR family wants to do and do that. Forget what other people are doing, everyone has their own priorities and those may be completely different than yours. Have fun!

Do you think they’d enjoy the entertainment? You can certainly watch the fireworks from anywhere in the park, and many enjoy watching the castle shows from a distance. The parade is a bit trickier. You’d be able to stroll up later maybe in Fronteirland. But they might lose interest if they’re a couple of rows back. Visibility issues would cone into play.

Frontierland offers some up front parade viewing with practically no wait. Bonus: stand near the shooting range and the boys will be the happiest buggers in the land, you'll be lucky if they watch the parade.

Nothing you do would be terrible. You just figure out what works best for your family and do it. When we attend events (or even just park days), our kids basically want to focus on rides. They don't care about any of the shows and we never attend them, same with characters. My kids are 14 and 9 now and have been going twice a year since my oldest was 2. I think I have waited in line for a character 5 times at the most. They just don't care about them at all. They will do the parade, but don't HAVE to do it (they do it for me) and sometimes we watch the fireworks, but not most times.

Figure out what YOUR family wants to do and do that. Forget what other people are doing, everyone has their own priorities and those may be completely different than yours. Have fun!

Thank you guys so much! That makes me feel much better!!!

I’ll be at the 12/16 party and I’m doing Tony’s. I really want that straight down main street view, but I’m really hoping by that late in the season it doesn’t become like the dessert parties, where people rush into the viewing area first thing it opens and camp out the space. Maybe having one person go get a snack or 2 and bring it out. I think that’s a waste of money (the food’s not the greatest, but we’re going to eat and drink our money— and bring some ziploc baggies for sure!) I’m almost certain by mid December it’ll turn into your typical camp out.

Because if that becomes the norm, then what’s the point of spending $99? I’ll eat and relax, pop out and walk up to main street at like 9:55 for the fireworks, then head to the reserved spot around 1030/1045.

I’d do it if you’re okay with the possibility (might not be the case) that you’ll have to sit out there for over an hour before the parade hits that coveted straight down main street spot. I’m okay with being off center if it means I can relax longer. If you decide to go, then I’ll see you there!!

I'm really leaning towards booking it because I'm okay if I have to stand in that spot but I'm just not sure how the timing would be for everything. I just don't know! Haha

For those interested in meeting Moana, I'm at the party now, and this was a priority for us. We were in line at the Tiki Room at 4:25 (thanks to everyone on the boards!) At 5:30, they let us into the Tiki Room, and Moana started meeting at 5:45 on the dot. We were the 3rd group in line. Hope that helps someone out!

Not looking to start a huge debate, but I was wondering if people hold a spot in line while waiting for characters or does your entire party stand in line? What about bathroom breaks? I have a 4 year DD, and was wondering if we line up for Nick And Judy, would she be able to go to the bathroom while we were waiting? Thoughts?

Not looking to start a huge debate, but I was wondering if people hold a spot in line while waiting for characters or does your entire party stand in line? What about bathroom breaks? I have a 4 year DD, and was wondering if we line up for Nick And Judy, would she be able to go to the bathroom while we were waiting? Thoughts?

I've read in the past that one person holds the spot and family meets them closer to time. Then other people say their whole family waits. There is zero chance my 4 year old would wait in the lines.

While I waited for Scrooge and Donald in Storybook Circus, my two kids went and rode the Barnstormer....there was no wait on that. They also hit the bathroom, and grabbed some cookies from the treat stop. My daughter peeked at the dance party nearby also. No one batted an eye when they joined me in the line, and I didn't bat an eye when others joined their families!

Not terrible at all. This is our first time (with six kids, aged 4-14) and no WAY are we paying that much money to stake out spots and wait around half the night. I did a lot of research on what shows and perks have little to no wait.
-Totally Tomorrowland Christmas and the Reindeer Wranglers appear to have very little crowds, so we're just going to walk right up and watch when they start. They look like shows my kids would like better than the big one at the castle anyway.
-Certain rides have basically no wait, even on the sold out nights (Pirates, Buzz Lightyear, teacups, etc.,) so we plan on hitting those rides.
-The lines for treats appear to move fast, so planning to enjoy lots of those freebies.
-Planning to watch the fireworks from the Tomorrowland Bridge, and the parade from the train station - both of which are reported to have space for walk ups 10 or 15 minutes before those perks begin.

Hoping this strategy works and that we can enjoy just wandering around taking in the atmosphere while avoiding the crush of humanity in the hub.

Given the option of having a melt down or liquids release in line verses having two or three people meet up with their family for a photo, I'd rather the latter. It's the giant groups of people who were perfectly capable of standing there like everyone else cutting in that most of us have a problem with (cough tour groups). Besides, little kids are adorable when they're happy.

We’re going tonight We are going to focus on rides but if I see Pooh I’ll let you know!

I’d love your review of ride times if you can!

I’m starting to regret booking the party. We are looking forward to some of the shows, but really like the rides. Based on what I’m reading, we would have been better off booking the late night event instead to get more rides in. I’m considering calling Disney and begging to switch (I know the party is non-refundable, but it doesn’t hurt to try). But I’m torn, the atmosphere of the party seems so fun! My kids will just be so disappointed if the ride lines are crazy long.

I’m starting to regret booking the party. We are looking forward to some of the shows, but really like the rides. Based on what I’m reading, we would have been better off booking the late night event instead to get more rides in. I’m considering calling Disney and begging to switch (I know the party is non-refundable, but it doesn’t hurt to try). But I’m torn, the atmosphere of the party seems so fun! My kids will just be so disappointed if the ride lines are crazy long.
If your main priority are rides with little to no waits and not the fireworks, parade, specialty characters, holiday treats, etc I would agree DAH may be a better option.

Considering the DAH tickets are more expensive compared to MVMCP, I don’t think the ticket person would give you an issue if you politely asked to swap. If so, HUCA if you really want it done!

Here’s a short version of our party experience last night (Monday, 11/12)
I have nothing to compare it too as far as crowd level bc it was our first time in WDW, let alone MVMCP, but I thought it was packed and another person said “the park is empty tonight” lol so there’s that lol

We arrived at 4pm, went in and went to the right towards Tomorrowland. Stopped for PhotoPass, Santa cookies and party shirts at the first little cart. Walked into the second half of Move it Dance it parade, which was awesome for us and our daughters. Rode Astro Orbiter with a 15 min wait then walked over to meet Nick and Judy (got in line at 5:40 and they came right out at 6:20, we were out of line probably at 6:30- then walked over to Casey’s and mobile ordered some food. Food came out in maybe 15 min also, and the inside of the restaurant was packed. Took our food over to the hub area and sat In the “second row” of people on the parade route right in front of the castle.
We watched the first Mickeys Merriest celebration, followed by Frozen Holiday Wish and Christmas Parade immediately after. I sent my husband to snag treats from different places while we ate and waited for everything to start.
The 2 shows and parade were nothing Short of incredible.
As soon as the parade ended, we walked over to Frontierland. We walked on Splash and Thunder. Walked back over to the bridge and caught the Wishes fireworks from Frontierland edge. Walked over to Advertureland, it was about 10:30, and walked into Tiki Room to meet Moana. Waited maybe 30 minutes. She was awesome. Talked to my 5yo so much! Then went back to Tomorrowland, walked on space mountain. Headed over to mainstreet and decided for one last meet and greet!! Got in line for Sandy Claus and Sally at 11:30. The cast member said 30 minutes. We didn’t get out until 12:30. They were totally worth the wait. We were next in line and they needed to take a break. At that point, my 5yo was passed out on the floor, literally, sprawled out lol (she wanted to meet them so bad, please no parent shaming hahaha) so jack and sally peeked around the corner and saw her, jack said to us “is she alive?” And sally bent down and was whispering to her. She never woke up. It was awesome. Of course they came out 10 min later or so and we finished our pics and they interacted with her. It was a memory well never forget. It was not a perfect planned evening but it ended up being 110% worth the cost.

MinnieMommyof2 - no shaming. That’ll be an adorable memory. Of course my husband and I keep an online album of all the crazy places DS2 passes out so maybe I’m not the best judge.

I am so looking forward to the party. I wish I could justify Tony’s but I just can’t pay $100 for two little ones who may be asleep by that point. If it was just H and I we’d do it in a heartbeat. I’ll probably be over in Frontierland staking out the spot near the shooting gallery and my kids won’t care about any of the parade events because shooting gallery. Whatever, as long as they have fun.

Hahahaha!!! You sound like me!!!! I booked frozen party, EMM @HS, the MVMCP, and Tonys... my husband said this is my trip.. so I'm doing what I want... but I did include a star wars 1/2 day for him lol cus I'm not selfish!!! (I hate star wars!!) What is the star wars GE?? He might be interested!! Thanks!

Lolz, forgive me for my mistake, it was late when I first wrote it! I fixed that original post. I meant to say Star Wars the Void! Geez Louise! I do have Galaxy’s Edge on the mind though... debating whether to book a Christmas trip next year even if SWGE is an absolute mess.

I do both - DAH for rides. Christmas party for everything else. Same with MNSSHP

Oh I am so torn about purchasing Tonys for my Christmas Party 12/16! I had talked myself out of it but the reviews seem to be pretty decent. But I definitely fear that by the time 12/16 rolls around it will be too popular and we wont end up of a great view down Main Street. Tough decision!

I feel you on having to make that decision! Our party is 12/11 and I am very nervous those million dollar parade spot views people are getting will not be easy to get if our Tony’s party is really popular. I am just a nervous Nelly though, my mom always says if I didn't have something to worry about, I would worry about not having anything to worry about.

So we’re back from the party. It was great, low crowds IMO, low wait times on rides. We focused on rides and not the other stuff so that’s what I can report on. Here’s the rundown of our night:

5:30/6 enter park, dinner at Casey’s

Look around Emporium

Pirates

Splash twice

Btmr twice

pretzel and snow cone
—kids needed the bathroom and a break at this point. I wish I had gotten them to Fantasyland first.

Pic with Peter Pan

Carpets

Between 8:30/9–poor planning—got stuck behind end of parade for over 30 min trying to get to Fantasyland, ugh

Small world

Pinocchio - got all the cookies, ate them all, loved them

Little Mermaid

Shopping at Big Top Souvenirs

Barnstormer twice

Pic with Goofy Santa

Buzz twice

Space Mtn

More cookies and snow cones

11- wiped out, left as crowds were building for parade
______
Peter Pan and Mine Train were around 20-25 min for a lot of the night but my family didn’t want to wait and we have FP’s Thursday anyway. Although I think it would have been shorter if we’d gotten in line but they were cranky about it. If I had gotten the kids into fantasyland before the 8:30 parade crowds dispersed, I’m sure we would have done those two rides. That is my one planning regret, not paying attention to the parade crowd. When we were on the monorail around 11:15 I checked and it said Peter Pan 10, SDMT 20.

It did seem to be packed viewing for the parades, but maybe not more packed than normal?

I bought the MVMCP ornament and a long sleeved tee, love them. All in all we are very happy we went and it was well worth the cost for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter