Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

:tink::tink::tinker::tinker:First off... Fairy Fridays makes me happy. :tink::tink:

I'm following the Jeff G training program (the time improvement one) I'm pleased with my consistency (except during vacation week) but all is being done on my "dreadmill". I need to keep my worn out knees happy. I do plan to do my last long run on the pavement/track. Currently, I do two short runs with a long run or speed work on weekends. Cross training at least 2 times during the rest of the week.

QOTW: Yes to music and I try and coordinate certain songs at certain points on the course. Disney and park songs in the parks of course and other music during the rest. But when I'm on the dreadmill....I'm watching shows or streaming live TV, anything to keep me from going crazy on that machine.

I train the same as I do for a half marathon, with the exception that I throw in 2-3 back-to-back runs (example - 2 weeks from now I'll be doing a 5-miler and a 10-miler on consecutive days). I think they're good practice to see how i'm feeling running back-to-back but not SUPER necessary.

Otherwise I think just taking it easy after the 10K on Saturday and not eating anything weird (i.e. stuff she's eaten before that hasn't made her sick - not a great weekend to try new stuff, in my opinion) that day would be good things to do. :confused3 The fact that you're local should help since she won't want to be hitting the parks all day like the rest of us! :)

Thanks!!

We put her first challenge at DL so we wouldn't be tempted by the parks. At the previous Princess 1/2 she finally relaxed enough and took the time to take character photos and such, lol. Previously she's been so concerned about her time. I've told her to keep it slow and easy in the 10k to conserve energy for the 1/2. She's doing the DL 10k only in September so she can use that for a PR, lol.

Thanks!!

We put her first challenge at DL so we wouldn't be tempted by the parks. At the previous Princess 1/2 she finally relaxed enough and took the time to take character photos and such, lol. Previously she's been so concerned about her time. I've told her to keep it slow and easy in the 10k to conserve energy for the 1/2. She's doing the DL 10k only in September so she can use that for a PR, lol.
Thats good advice!

I know a lot of people like to go for PRs at disney races. Personally, I save PR attempts for local (cheaper) races and take my sweet time at Disney :)

@NeverLand16 what are your thoughts on OTF? They just opened a studio here and I'm thinking of trying it out. Is it a bad idea for someone with a creaky back? Thanks!! :)

I'm also following the Jeff Galloway plan for finishing uninjured and in the upright position! So I'm doing short runs twice a week and a long run on the weekend. This weekend is 11 miles. I run on a bike trail which is nice for scenery and not worrying about traffic, but it has plenty of elevation changes which starts to wear on me.

I listen to music, but I'm really tired of my playlist. I'm in need of something new! I think I'll bring my earbuds to Tink, but not use them while I'm in the parks.

For my 10k I'm also following the Galloway finish upright! plan of two days a week short runs and then a weekend longer run. Its been going well so far! The other days during the week I walk outside or treadmill since its been raining here a lot. I use my fitbit for coworker workweek challenges so that keeps me going on those nonrun days. I can't let my coworkers win! :) As for music, I use spotify and listen to the rundisney playlists. The wine and dine one is my favorite. I wish they had a Tink playlist.

Not Bay area, but Sacramento area so not too far.

I'm from Sac too!

Definitely a lot of APers in the Bay and Sacramento area, lol.

A Sac AP'r here too! But my DD and I will be driving down. Road trip! :drive: We actually prefer driving.

I know a lot of people like to go for PRs at disney races. Personally, I save PR attempts for local (cheaper) races and take my sweet time at Disney :)

This will be my first runDisney event (we're just doing the 10K) and we're planning to run while in the streets, and take our sweet time while inside the parks! :tiptoe:

A Sac AP'r here too! But my DD and I will be driving down. Road trip! :drive: We actually prefer driving.

My mom and I prefer driving too. Too short of a flight to justify the added "fun" of an airport and lose the convenience of a car. Plus my cat comes XD

I have a question about proof of time. I keep seeing mentions of race courses needing to be certified for the proof of time, but I couldn't find that on the Tink registration site. I don't know if the race time I submitted was on a certified course, but it did have chip timing and a web site with race results. Does anyone know if it needs to be a certified course? Thanks!

I have a question about proof of time. I keep seeing mentions of race courses needing to be certified for the proof of time, but I couldn't find that on the Tink registration site. I don't know if the race time I submitted was on a certified course, but it did have chip timing and a web site with race results. Does anyone know if it needs to be a certified course? Thanks!
As long as it's chip-timed and there's a link to the results, you're good.

@NeverLand16 what are your thoughts on OTF? They just opened a studio here and I'm thinking of trying it out. Is it a bad idea for someone with a creaky back? Thanks!! :)

I don't like to exercise at all so I just have to say that it is hard! But, I do realize that it is challenging me much more than my 24 Hour Fitness membership. That gym was easy to avoid, I had a set routine, and it didn't push me much. OTF is pretty pricey, and you are purchasing classes so you need to go or throw away the money. Classes are 30 minutes treadmill and 30 minutes strength. The strength exercises are very advanced, and I am doing things that I have never done before. I have to take the beginner's approach (and ask for assistance from the trainer) often because I am old enough and weak enough to need a slower approach to build up strength. For instance, I could not do a side plank. I have been practicing at home every day to make the classes easier. I do think you can expect good results. I think some of the exercises would be hard on a bad back. You can ask for modifications from the trainer.

There are free trial classes so you can try it before you spend big bucks.

I almost ended up trying to book a room at the DL hotel for Tink. I was trolling around on the website yesterday and thought I'd see what hotel options and costs were. Well, DL hotel was showing availability with a pretty decent "spring sale" rate. It was still too rich for my blood, but I thought maybe I could score a military discount on top of it. But, by the time I asked my husband his thoughts and I went back to check, the cheaper rooms were gone and then the more expensive ones (even if I could get the military rate) were just too much. Oh well, probably better to save the money since I'm currently using points to pay for the room we have reserved, but the idea of just stepping out of the hotel and basically straight into the corrals was awfully tempting. :D

@ZellyB I wonder if the site knew you were looking at that rate and then was like "increase it on her!!" I've heard that happening on other travel sites, but never thought about it with Disney. Try again in a private window. (I also may just be too into conspiracy theories)
#enabling

Newbie Questions

I have run many WDW races--I live in FL--but I am new to DL races. We are going to stay at either the Anaheim Hilton or the Anaheim Sheraton. How do we get to the race starting point? Are there shuttles, or do we walk? Also, where is the bib pickup. Sorry, I know, such a pathetic newbie--please help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter