******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were able to get all of ours too! Which I found odd bc everyone always says how difficult it is! Got BOG dinner, the castle for dinner, and chef mickeys

I've always booked ADRs right when my window opens and I would say that there seemed to be much more availability this year than the last two years. Noticeably so. Have always gone mid-September. ETA: Booked at Chef Mickey's, BOG (lunch and dinner), 1900 Park Fare, Boma, Akershus - ones I typically consider on the "harder" side to get the days/times you want.

Last edited:
We have decided not to upgrade to DD either and just stay with QS. We don't want to have too many reservations to keep. So far we have three and we think that is enough.

It's so funny how people seem to be one extreme or another in their dining preferences! For us, I can't even imagine going and doing just QS for a whole week! I know there are some different QS locations where you can get things other than burgers and chicken nuggets, but I think I'd be running out of options after a few days.

We don't do many character meals at all--only have boys and they're teenagers so not interested in that. But for us, all the TS dining is a major part of our vacation! We love planning out which new places to try, make sure we get into some old favorites. We also REALLY like the break that an ADR forces us to take. Especially in the heat of summer, it's nice to go in and relax and have a nice meal. Also like someone else serving us instead of having to schlep everything around ourselves in QS.

But I totally get the not wanting to be tied down to ADRs. For us, we like that little bit of structure!

I've kind of changed my way of thinking on this one, at least for this trip. My son and I are only going to be in the parks 2 full days, this is just a quick trip. I already have rest breaks built into both of those days. Do I really want to spend more time than I have to being tied down to ADRs, too? I'm beginning to think maybe not. Definitely for a week-long trip, to me that's a no brainer. But for a 3 night/4 day? Maybe not so much. I've got plenty of time to decide but, after reading some of the comments, I'm thinking it might make more sense to stick with QS meals this trip.

I was considering doing the same thing...seated lunches. The seated meals take longer than you think and last time we ended up being in a mad rush at night to get to things. Hopefully the lunches will make things less stressful.

I find the other ways people tour so interesting. We do rope drop and use that advantage for short waits, plan FPs for after lunch when it starts to get busy and that in itself is slower paced because of downtime in between. We spend the later afternoon shopping, pin trading. Then we do dinner and the only thing I worry about doing after that is nighttime entertainment. So I just make sure we are going to get it for that. Usually fantastic night we will switch and do a sit down lunch and QS dinner and then go get a spot for Fantasmic. My dh rides tower and roller coaster while we hold spots. It's funny how you get a rhythm that works for your family and kind of fine tune it. Would be so hard to plan for other people.

I've kind of changed my way of thinking on this one, at least for this trip. My son and I are only going to be in the parks 2 full days, this is just a quick trip. I already have rest breaks built into both of those days. Do I really want to spend more time than I have to being tied down to ADRs, too? I'm beginning to think maybe not. Definitely for a week-long trip, to me that's a no brainer. But for a 3 night/4 day? Maybe not so much. I've got plenty of time to decide but, after reading some of the comments, I'm thinking it might make more sense to stick with QS meals this trip.

I can definitely see that for a quick trip! I'd want to optimize real park time, too! But once you get to 5, 6, 7 days, I can't imagine eating only QS. But that's just us!

I just rounded the $20 per person down from the $21. and change to make it easier to calculate. It's still over $40 per night to upgrade for me and my niece (13) to upgrade to the DDP from the QSDP.
Oh yes, sorry, you are calculating for 2 adults. It really depends on how you eat. The buffet's and character meals are expensive...and you need to calculate the tip as well. One character meal, for example, Crystal Palace can be as much as $ 37 to $ 43.00. At the high end, that's $ 86.00 for two adults, w/o a tip. Add another $ 16.00 to that and you are spending $ 102.00 for two, for one meal. You can look at meal prices here: http://allears.net/dining/menu I use it to calculate a budget when I'm paying OOP. It's a really good site and they try and keep it updated.

I totally understand why so many people love the QSDP, it gives you so much more flexibility and especially if you have a very limited time at the resort - you want to make the most of it. I like having pre-planned time to all sit down with each other. This year, we'll probably let our kids run off on their own now and again and it will give us just some peaceful time, without a mad rush, to chat. I like sneaking into A/C and pausing for a minute because so much of the trip is rushing from one place to another.

Plus, I'm a bit of a foodie and I really enjoy some of the dining options at WDW. I am so stoked to try Tiffins this time.

We also generally prefer QS to TS at WDW to allow for more flexibility. We have a few TS restaurants that we hit each trip, but not many.

We have leveraged FD a few times. When we have done so with our entire family, we have still spent over $1k OOP on tips at TS meals. So, even when the meals are "paid for" in advance with the DDP, there are still considerable meal expenses if you eat at TS restaurants every day. Heck, one meal for 5 at Narcoossee's resulted in a $175 tip - a single meal.
How much was your bill for you to tip $175 I'm just curious if you don't mind telling us?

Boy those are expensive. Almost $50 for the QS plan doesn't seem like a great deal if you actually pay for it.
I think it is high. I budget $ 15 - $ 17 for lunch (I think this is generous for me). I give myself about $ 5.00 for a snack, some are cheaper, some may be a bit more. So 2 snacks $ 10.00. That's roughly $ 25.00 a day. So for me, the quick service isn't a good deal if I'm paying for it. I'd rather pay OOP.

I also feel like sitting down to a nice meal every day is part of a vacation. Also, if my kids see the characters at the meals, two birds with one stone, right? Less time in lines to meet them in the parks. For our family, even paying for the DDP would be a great savings. It's around $2800 for the standard DDP, but the same meals we're planning on would all cost $3600, as we're doing lots of character meals.

:offtopic: It is finally sunny here, been raining all week. I put my kitty cat's outside, there is still snow on the ground so they aren't that keen on going out....LOL! Did some cleaning....and now I'm back. Pretty soon my legs will shrink up to nothing and I'll have a great big head, after sitting at my computer so much of the day! My addiction is in full swing!

I also feel like sitting down to a nice meal every day is part of a vacation. Also, if my kids see the characters at the meals, two birds with one stone, right? Less time in lines to meet them in the parks. For our family, even paying for the DDP would be a great savings. It's around $2800 for the standard DDP, but the same meals we're planning on would all cost $3600, as we're doing lots of character meals.
I agree, I really enjoy sitting down in a nice restaurant, laughing over things we did all day and just relaxing. It is definitely part of my experience.

We were able to get all of ours too! Which I found odd bc everyone always says how difficult it is! Got BOG dinner, the castle for dinner, and chef mickeys
Can you please tell me specifically how you got the BOG dinner? It's our top priority and I'm nervous about getting it. I'm still two months from my ADR date but was just wondering your strategy and how much dinner availability there was when you got it?

I think it is high. I budget $ 15 - $ 17 for lunch (I think this is generous for me). I give myself about $ 5.00 for a snack, some are cheaper, some may be a bit more. So 2 snacks $ 10.00. That's roughly $ 25.00 a day. So for me, the quick service isn't a good deal if I'm paying for it. I'd rather pay OOP.

Use missed to add one more meal...
Even I prefer to pay OOP against QS Plan

Can you please tell me specifically how you got the BOG dinner? It's our top priority and I'm nervous about getting it. I'm still two months from my ADR date but was just wondering your strategy and how much dinner availability there was when you got it?
I always book the "must have" reservations 1st and try to book them for the last few days of my day since the 1st few days are usually fully booked. Once I secure them and the rest of my ADRs then I'll play around a bit and see if other dates and times are available. I make a plan of which days I plan on being in each park so that helps with ADR planning. Just be ready to be flexible if need be:)

It was the first reservation I made and I made sure to do that first. It was for our first night there so exactly 180 days out. I only wanted dinner, did not want breakfast or lunch so I was on that computer first thing in am. Good luck! If it seems like there's little availability, try for the end of your week. There may be more available since you can make 180+.

How much was your bill for you to tip $175 I'm just curious if you don't mind telling us?
Well, I tip 20%, so my math tells me that it was about $900. We bought a few apps and each had 2 glasses of wine, but the tip would have been at least $100 if we had only eaten what was covered by the dining plan. My point is that the tips get expensive if you eat in these places. I would budget at least $15/person/day for tips.

I've always booked ADRs right when my window opens and I would say that there seemed to be much more availability this year than the last two years. Noticeably so. Have always gone mid-September. ETA: Booked at Chef Mickey's, BOG (lunch and dinner), 1900 Park Fare, Boma, Akershus - ones I typically consider on the "harder" side to get the days/times you want.

I had so much difficulty get ADRs when I went in 2015. So much. That's why I was so happy to get everything I wanted this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter