Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

I do hope that people that aren't DVC/AP have their registrations cancelled if they managed to register during today.

I had to refresh for 20 minutes straight to get my husband's Dark Challenge through while having to get work done as well. Such is the life of registering for Disney I guess! I think for Disneyland next year, I'm just going to handle it all through Group Registration with a Travel Agent since we require the hotel there anyway. This is entirely too stressful!

Apparently there are still Half, 10K, and 5K spots open for the DVC/AP members. I'm shocked the 10K didn't sell out fast as that always seemed to have went fast for the other races as of late.

I do hope that people that aren't DVC/AP have their registrations cancelled if they managed to register during today.

I had to refresh for 20 minutes straight to get my husband's Dark Challenge through while having to get work done as well. Such is the life of registering for Disney I guess! I think for Disneyland next year, I'm just going to handle it all through Group Registration with a Travel Agent since we require the hotel there anyway. This is entirely too stressful!

Apparently there are still Half, 10K, and 5K spots open for the DVC/AP members. I'm shocked the 10K didn't sell out fast as that always seemed to have went fast for the other races as of late.

I'm sure there were some issues ... But I really think that there just weren't as many 'challenge' spots opened for the AP folks. And most of us Disney crazy medal folks, me included, want the 'extra' tin!

If today is any indication, you'll have time next week to register. The lack of a 10K/half sell out indicates that there will be opportunity.

I'm sure there were some issues ... But I really think that there just weren't as many 'challenge' spots opened for the AP folks. And most of us Disney crazy medal folks, me included, want the 'extra' tin!

If today is any indication, you'll have time next week to register. The lack of a 10K/half sell out indicates that there will be opportunity.

From previous race threads, they only release about 10% of race spots for these early registrations.

Either way, I recommend people to get on at noon to register.

I have some coworkers that are wanting to register next Tuesday. Should be an interesting lunch hour for those that want the challenge!

Well, they stick it on you, so unless you could slide it off your wrist without cutting it off, you had to wear it all days (sleeping, showering, park touring, etc.), but yes they only look for it after the half (which is the only race needed for C2C) when you go through the C2C tent.

So this is the tent you'll see after you finish your half marathon race. This was at Tinkerbell 2015, picking up my pink C2C medal.

I went on to register yesterday at 12:30 and a lot had already sold out. Luckily, I was able to register my son and myself for the 10K, which is the one we wanted to do!

I'm in for the Dark Side challenge! I really hadn't planned on another Run Disney race next year after I do the Dopey, but I just couldn't resist a Star Wars race at WDW!

Deleting - had question but found discussion on same issue (host resort busing) earlier in thread....

Last edited:
I've been counting down the days till next Tuesday's "regular" registration opens. After reading all of these last few pages...I am horribly nervous. :|

I've been counting down the days till next Tuesday's "regular" registration opens. After reading all of these last few pages...I am horribly nervous. :|

It's not bad. Just be online and ready when the registration opens up ... if you're registering more than one person, use more than one computer / iphone / etc ....

It will sell out, but you'll be fine it you're online and prepared.

Anyone get updates from travel providers yet on when they will be selling bibs? Acclaim told me that possibly later this week but could be as late as regular registration, magical miles travel said same. I am high on the list with magical miles so I should have a bib, but definitely would love to have it before official registration because I don't think I could handle the stress of sign up.

Make sure everyone who is going to run has their own active account and different email. We had issues with that yesterday as my parents share an email (who is who we were registering) and so that cost us a few seconds and then were stuck in the hold for an hour. My parents decided to do the 5k & 10k instead of the challenge so we just registered them for that as that was just too stressful yesterday and we don't want to deal with that next week. In the past it wasn't as ticky with sharing emails. Good Luck.... I mean May the Force Be With You!

Does anyone know if they have announced the host resorts for this event yet? DW registered for the 10K last night, now I need to book a room!

Thx

I'm curious, how many people were able to sign up for the challenge after it went on hold.... Several here have mentioned they were able to, others of us just weren't able to .....
It's sort of like living in limbo!

I got myself registered through my DVC for the Challenge right at 11am (CST) and by 11:04 it was On Hold. I refreshed until 11:40am and was able to nab a spot for my friend. If I hadn't I would have had to give up and register her Tuesday because I had to go to work.

Does anyone know if they have announced the host resorts for this event yet? DW registered for the 10K last night, now I need to book a room!

Thx

I read somewhere, maybe on this thread, maybe in one of my FB groups, that in 2016 all resorts would be host resorts for all WDW races. I can't say for sure that it's true, but that's what I've heard.

I'm surprised at how little information is available on the website. None of the charity/travel agent info is on there. No race times. No host resorts. No chear squad. Seems like they rushed this. Also seems like a lot would be cut and paste so not sure why the delays. Of course this also follows the late ap/dvc registration and the travel agents not having anything yet.

I hope they have their act together by April.

ETA - look at the hosts for wine and dine. They will likely be hosts for this...if it isn't all resorts. At this point they may have a hard time doing less than all since its so late getting set up at a time that is busier than normal race weekends.

I think that challenge weekends are usually quite large, so we will see all resorts as host resorts. But, I am still waiting to be sure.

Also, if they truly are having all resorts as host resorts for 2016, that makes me wonder if W&D will be back. That race never has used an "every resort" scheme since it is only 2 races vs the 3-4 at large race weekends. And there is all the construction to contend with. But, my guess is that it is their only fall race so it will have a changed course and select resorts only. Unless they change W&D to a challenge, I am doubtful we will see a blanket all host resorts for all of 2016.

And side note - when do they usually release the event calendar for the next year? Early October? I think it was out after TOT last year.

They keep the picture on file. At the end of half, you will go to the challenge tent. People will verify your identity by looking up your bib number on the computer (your picture should show up). Once they have verified that you have completed the 10k and half and that your picture matches your face, you can proceed to get your challenge medal.

I would assume it's the same for Goofy.

This is my first challenge so I just want to make sure I have this right (everyone looked completely confused for the glass slipper this year with photos being on the upstairs level, I think we accidentally ended up in line for them at one point and we just did the half and 5k lol). SO -

1. Photo taken at packet pick up
2. Go to challenge tent after half only for medal

They will know from tracking chips that I finished 10k yes? I do not need to stop anywhere else after it? I am SO excited my first challenge is an inaugural SW race :darth: I am fully prepared to join the dark side.

I think that challenge weekends are usually quite large, so we will see all resorts as host resorts. But, I am still waiting to be sure.

Also, if they truly are having all resorts as host resorts for 2016, that makes me wonder if W&D will be back. That race never has used an "every resort" scheme since it is only 2 races vs the 3-4 at large race weekends. And there is all the construction to contend with. But, my guess is that it is their only fall race so it will have a changed course and select resorts only. Unless they change W&D to a challenge, I am doubtful we will see a blanket all host resorts for all of 2016.

I'm starting to worry that rundisney is going to make every race into a challenge. Since they've recently done away with 2 of the shorter distance, night time, non-challenge races (EE & ToT).....I really hope they leave W&D just as it is!!

This is my first challenge so I just want to make sure I have this right (everyone looked completely confused for the glass slipper this year with photos being on the upstairs level, I think we accidentally ended up in line for them at one point and we just did the half and 5k lol). SO -

1. Photo taken at packet pick up
2. Go to challenge tent after half only for medal

They will know from tracking chips that I finished 10k yes? I do not need to stop anywhere else after it? I am SO excited my first challenge is an inaugural SW race :darth: I am fully prepared to join the dark side.

Correct. They will know from your chip that you finished the 10k. If you get swept at the 10k or half, you won't get the challenge medal. I think they encourage you to check in at the challenge tent after every race to get into the habit of doing it (so you don't forget after the half). But from what I recall, there was no one at the challenge tent at the 10k. Runners told us that if we had our photo taken with our bib at pick up, we are good to go.

Here's the verbiage from the Disneyland Half event guide (Dumbo Double Dare = challenge):

In an effort to enhance our runners’ check-in process, we ask that all Dumbo Double Dare participants have their photo taken with their race bibs. This photo will be used at the finish line of each race to expedite the finish line experience. After completing both races, please check in at the Dumbo Double Dare tent located at the Finish Line chute on Sunday. Please note that all Dumbo Double Dare Participants must complete both the 10K and the Half Marathon in the allotted time to receive the Dumbo Double Dare Medal.

After completing the 10K, Dumbo Double Dare participants’ official results will be reviewed by race staff at the Dumbo Double Dare tent.

Half Marathon
After completing the Half Marathon, Dumbo Double Dare participants must visit the Dumbo Double Dare tent with their Dumbo Double Dare bib to receive the

Correct. They will know from your chip that you finished the 10k. If you get swept at the 10k or half, you won't get the challenge medal. I think they encourage you to check in at the challenge tent after every race to get into the habit of doing it (so you don't forget after the half). But from what I recall, there was no one at the challenge tent at the 10k. Runners told us that if we had our photo taken with our bib at pick up, we are good to go.

Here's the verbiage from the Disneyland Half event guide (Dumbo Double Dare = challenge):

In an effort to enhance our runners’ check-in process, we ask that all Dumbo Double Dare participants have their photo taken with their race bibs. This photo will be used at the finish line of each race to expedite the finish line experience. After completing both races, please check in at the Dumbo Double Dare tent located at the Finish Line chute on Sunday. Please note that all Dumbo Double Dare Participants must complete both the 10K and the Half Marathon in the allotted time to receive the Dumbo Double Dare Medal.

After completing the 10K, Dumbo Double Dare participants’ official results will be reviewed by race staff at the Dumbo Double Dare tent.

Half Marathon
After completing the Half Marathon, Dumbo Double Dare participants must visit the Dumbo Double Dare tent with their Dumbo Double Dare bib to receive the

Whew - thanks! I think I would cry if I did all of that and then somehow didn't get a medal because I had forgotten to check in somewhere :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter