Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Thank you to you and the rest of the posters for you encouragement. I downloaded The jeff app as C25K does not have great prompts or great volume. How is jeffs app different with the segments? That is what has freaked me out most... already it has me running 90 secs walk 90 and although that isn't a lot, i feel like its the end of the world lol! I appreciate the encouragement. I really want to do the 10k, but feel like that its an impossible goal by feb.
Like @FFigawi said, stick with it and it'll get better. Don't worry about your pace at all right now, just focus on getting the intervals done. Does the app have an option where you can repeat weeks if you need to? If so I'd suggest repeating weeks if you ever feel like you can't move to the next week just yet.

Don't worry - you have PLENTY of time. :)

It might seem daunting now, but it's certainly not impossible. If you stick with your training, you'll notice that day by day, week by week, an increase in how far you can go and a decrease in the effort it takes to cover the same distance. Running is made for steady and continuous improvement. Stick with it, and you'll see that for yourself.

I hope so, because right now it seems impossible to run longer than a minute at a time...although i did run for 2 minutes straight today. I'm embarrassed to even say that out loud to group of runners, but its true.

I also use the Galloway interval method and have successfully finished 5 halfs. I've looked at the Galloway app in the past. Is it worth the money @inkedupmomma ?

Just started it today @kpooh. So far I like it better than C25K and the Zenlab one. His voice is funny at first, but I like that he gave so many prompts, made me feel like I could get through it.

Like @FFigawi said, stick with it and it'll get better. Don't worry about your pace at all right now, just focus on getting the intervals done. Does the app have an option where you can repeat weeks if you need to? If so I'd suggest repeating weeks if you ever feel like you can't move to the next week just yet.

Don't worry - you have PLENTY of time. :)

Yes, he mentioned pace today and I don't even know what that means yet lol. The app has the ability to swipe back to a certain time, so yes, you can repeat if you need to, which I may.?

I hope so, because right now it seems impossible to run longer than a minute at a time...although i did run for 2 minutes straight today. I'm embarrassed to even say that out loud to group of runners, but its true.

No reason to be embarrassed - many of us started that way. When I first started running, it seemed like that 1 minute of running was longer than any amount of walking I'd ever done before. But eventually I got used to it and made my way up to 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc

Just started it today @kpooh. So far I like it better than C25K and the Zenlab one. His voice is funny at first, but I like that he gave so many prompts, made me feel like I could get through it.

Yes, he mentioned pace today and I don't even know what that means yet lol. The app has the ability to swipe back to a certain time, so yes, you can repeat if you need to, which I may.?
Don't be embarrassed at all! All of us started somewhere - the difference is that you didn't get to read about us starting. It takes guts to try something new...you should be proud! :)

By "pace" I mean how fast you are running. That is a mistake that I made when I was first starting out - somewhere in the Couch-to-5K literature I had read that the plan was supposed to get a person to "run 30 minutes, or 3 miles." So in my head that meant that I HAD to run at a 10:00 per mile pace, or else I wasn't following the plan correctly. :confused3 This was a bit too fast for me when I was starting out, so it just made the running intervals that much harder...if that makes sense.

I think Galloway recommends running at a "conversational" pace (you should be able to talk comfortably)...so that is something to keep in mind.

Oh boy. Thank you for doing that...I felt so bad for the volunteers. I couldn't imagine how hard it was to just stand there in the windy cold for a few hours...it was nowhere near as bad for us runners!

It was fun. I highly recommend it. And it makes you really aware how nice it is on the other end when participants thank the volunteers. I was on a high of sorts for days.

We were a lucky group. After setting up the whole drinks station there at the very end of the end, in the dark mind you, we were able to sneak off to the first aid tent to be out of the wind. (Still cold but no wind) Waited there until about 5 minutes after the start. Had to be there for the super fast people barely 10 minutes after we got out there!

My poor hubby and son were in their corral just freezing! But for the January 5k, since the race people weren't handing out space blankets like they did at princess, everyone was huddled together helping out with body heat. That's what the family reported, at least.

Thank you to you and the rest of the posters for you encouragement. I downloaded The jeff app as C25K does not have great prompts or great volume. How is jeffs app different with the segments? That is what has freaked me out most... already it has me running 90 secs walk 90 and although that isn't a lot, i feel like its the end of the world lol! I appreciate the encouragement. I really want to do the 10k, but feel like that its an impossible goal by feb.

I never used an app but just printed out a plan. First from coolrunning's website and later the official plan for the race. The official an can be followed however you'll be moving on race day.

Repeat days and weeks as you need! Don't hurt yourself. Be gentle with yourself.

I started this "running" journey nearly three years ago and just recently have noticed how much 2 minutes jog then 2 minutes walk works for me. If I stick with that ratio I'm faster at the end then if I try to run more. Which is exactly what Galloway talks about.

It was fun. I highly recommend it. And it makes you really aware how nice it is on the other end when participants thank the volunteers. I was on a high of sorts for days.

We were a lucky group. After setting up the whole drinks station there at the very end of the end, in the dark mind you, we were able to sneak off to the first aid tent to be out of the wind. (Still cold but no wind) Waited there until about 5 minutes after the start. Had to be there for the super fast people barely 10 minutes after we got out there!

My poor hubby and son were in their corral just freezing! But for the January 5k, since the race people weren't handing out space blankets like they did at princess, everyone was huddled together helping out with body heat. That's what the family reported, at least.
I'm volunteering for a local charity bike ride next weekend...my first race volunteering experience. Really looking forward to it. :)

Your poor son and hubby! I was VERY lucky to be in Corral B. I felt so bad for everyone in the latter corrals! :(

Just got a reminder email from runDisney...!!!
4wJC7Zs-HHlTw7JtyN1Ko_3Ga8GgPiO7ha6ccHtUKNTE=w569-h632-no

I just wanted to chime in here Inkedupmomma (love the name!). I am a new runner-started after getting inspired on the boards and seeing a few of my friends on Facebook run Dopey.

The folks here are great and very encouraging! Having said that, on more than one occasion I have allowed myself to get overwhelmed and quite frankly scared when I read their paces and times....I have to tell myself something I read here-Don't compare your chapter 1 to someone else's chapter 20. It is so easy to compare yourself and there is just no reason to do that. We are all our own person with our own backstory, so try not to get too freaked out.

JG's stuff is great! But I remember running 90 seconds and thinking "there is just no way I can go any longer"-keep on and it comes together. You get stronger and you can go farther. And soon you will feel like you CAN breathe when you run longer than 60 seconds or 90 seconds. I'm pulling for you!

Just got a reminder email from runDisney...!!!
4wJC7Zs-HHlTw7JtyN1Ko_3Ga8GgPiO7ha6ccHtUKNTE=w569-h632-no

I got so excited when I saw the email!

And then I got sad ... because unfortunately it looks like I won't be making it to Princess Weekend this year (unless something huge changes in the next week). But I'll be back in 2017 or 2018 (I hope)!

I just wanted to chime in here Inkedupmomma (love the name!). I am a new runner-started after getting inspired on the boards and seeing a few of my friends on Facebook run Dopey.

The folks here are great and very encouraging! Having said that, on more than one occasion I have allowed myself to get overwhelmed and quite frankly scared when I read their paces and times....I have to tell myself something I read here-Don't compare your chapter 1 to someone else's chapter 20. It is so easy to compare yourself and there is just no reason to do that. We are all our own person with our own backstory, so try not to get too freaked out.

JG's stuff is great! But I remember running 90 seconds and thinking "there is just no way I can go any longer"-keep on and it comes together. You get stronger and you can go farther. And soon you will feel like you CAN breathe when you run longer than 60 seconds or 90 seconds. I'm pulling for you!
This is a great, great point. :)
I got so excited when I saw the email!

And then I got sad ... because unfortunately it looks like I won't be making it to Princess Weekend this year (unless something huge changes in the next week). But I'll be back in 2017 or 2018 (I hope)!
Oh noooo. That stinks! :(

I think with intervals too it's about finding what works for you. I trained for the 10K at 1:30/1 so 1 1/2 minutes running to 1 minute of walking. When I got back from Princess weekend in Feb I decreased my walk break to 30 seconds because I realized it was really slowing me down. I've improved my pace by a minute per mile with that. I had hoped to get to a 12mm pace for W&D so we'll see if I get there. But what my point was, was that you'll find an interval that works for you. So even if it seems tough right now, just hang in there, because once you get through this you can find your comfort zone for training. And I think that comfort zone is fluid as we improve as runners.

And for the 10K if you follow the training plan on the runDisney site you will be ready to run it! You just have to make sure you are training below a 16mm pace.

No reason to be embarrassed - many of us started that way. When I first started running, it seemed like that 1 minute of running was longer than any amount of walking I'd ever done before. But eventually I got used to it and made my way up to 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc
Thank you! I walk for a living, so I thought it might be a little easier for me..its not lol

Don't be embarrassed at all! All of us started somewhere - the difference is that you didn't get to read about us starting. It takes guts to try something new...you should be proud! :)

By "pace" I mean how fast you are running. That is a mistake that I made when I was first starting out - somewhere in the Couch-to-5K literature I had read that the plan was supposed to get a person to "run 30 minutes, or 3 miles." So in my head that meant that I HAD to run at a 10:00 per mile pace, or else I wasn't following the plan correctly. :confused3 This was a bit too fast for me when I was starting out, so it just made the running intervals that much harder...if that makes sense.

I think Galloway recommends running at a "conversational" pace (you should be able to talk comfortably)...so that is something to keep in mind.
So far I am not paying attention to how fast I am going. Im just trying to go, if that makes sense. I am doing this with DH who is in better shape than I am. we do talk , but I find myself not able to talk as much as he can.

I never used an app but just printed out a plan. First from coolrunning's website and later the official plan for the race. The official an can be followed however you'll be moving on race day.

Repeat days and weeks as you need! Don't hurt yourself. Be gentle with yourself.

I started this "running" journey nearly three years ago and just recently have noticed how much 2 minutes jog then 2 minutes walk works for me. If I stick with that ratio I'm faster at the end then if I try to run more. Which is exactly what Galloway talks about.
I do like him better than the other apps so far, so we will see. I plan on going only as much as i can. I don't want to act like a know it all, only to stop doing it because i hurt myself.

Thank you :) You make a good point. I think every person compares themselves. hard not to. Its why I hate going to the gym... I always psych myself out! Im finding that I can breathe pretty ok (surprisingly) but my right ankle/foot seems to hurt half way through the run. Not sure what to do about that.

I think with intervals too it's about finding what works for you. I trained for the 10K at 1:30/1 so 1 1/2 minutes running to 1 minute of walking. When I got back from Princess weekend in Feb I decreased my walk break to 30 seconds because I realized it was really slowing me down. I've improved my pace by a minute per mile with that. I had hoped to get to a 12mm pace for W&D so we'll see if I get there. But what my point was, was that you'll find an interval that works for you. So even if it seems tough right now, just hang in there, because once you get through this you can find your comfort zone for training. And I think that comfort zone is fluid as we improve as runners.

And for the 10K if you follow the training plan on the runDisney site you will be ready to run it! You just have to make sure you are training below a 16mm pace.

I was curious if the app slows anyone down. Right now, I think I will go as my body lets me. I am under the 16 mark. i can walk under that thankfully. My husband did the math for me a few months ago and thats what started this whole journey. Actually, a cute couple on a disney FB group that Im on started me on this They looked like they had such blast and I said to DH, I'd love to do that... well, he took that as gospel and here we are lol

Im hoping I can stick with this. I always seem to quit everything, but id really like to see this through. Im sure paying for the races will help with that just a bit!

Am I crazy, or is the Jeff Galloway app only for iPhones? I can't find it in the playstore.

@inkedupmomma what shoes are you using? I'd highly recommend going to a running store and getting fitted for a pair of running shoes, if you haven't done that already. It may help with the foot pain.
I was fitted of the shoes I have now couple of years ago. They weren't used for long at all, and mostly for zumba but are a running a shoe. Since then, I have had a baby and wondering if thats the issue. My dad is a runner and planning on getting me a new pair. I REALLY want a minnie pair lol

Thank you :) You make a good point. I think every person compares themselves. hard not to. Its why I hate going to the gym... I always psych myself out! Im finding that I can breathe pretty ok (surprisingly) but my right ankle/foot seems to hurt half way through the run. Not sure what to do about that.

Ditto Ariel484-good running shoes are so important.
And Ice is my new friend....we have a love/hate relationship!

I was fitted of the shoes I have now couple of years ago. They weren't used for long at all, and mostly for zumba but are a running a shoe. Since then, I have had a baby and wondering if thats the issue. My dad is a runner and planning on getting me a new pair. I REALLY want a minnie pair lol
That very well could be. Won't hurt to get re-fitted!

I got a pair of the Minnie shoes the first year they came out - not for running (they aren't my preferred running shoe so I knew they wouldn't work for that), strictly for just wearing around on errands or whatever. I ended up selling them on eBay - they hurt so badly to walk in that I thought I was going to injure myself! Sad day. :sad:

Ditto Ariel484-good running shoes are so important.
And Ice is my new friend....we have a love/hate relationship!
I did ice today. Hoping it works.
That very well could be. Won't hurt to get re-fitted!

I got a pair of the Minnie shoes the first year they came out - not for running (they aren't my preferred running shoe so I knew they wouldn't work for that), strictly for just wearing around on errands or whatever. I ended up selling them on eBay - they hurt so badly to walk in that I thought I was going to injure myself! Sad day. :sad:

thats terrible news! is there a similar pair to try on at a regular running store, to see how they feel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter