Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

So is the DDD already sold out?

The early registration for the DDD which was available to Annual Pass holders and Disney Vacation Club members sold out last Tuesday in something like 10 min. Open registration will start Feb 10th at 9am pst. It should have more available spots for the DDD so it might take 15min to sell out. Be ready.

WOW! I am so impressed and excited for you! My second son was born with a club foot and he has a lot of the same issues....although the size difference between his two feet are not quite that different! He and my husband run the Toughmudder races.
But I have to say, reading all of the posts from all of you runners is so inspiring....now I'm thinking of running a race!
Best of luck to you!

How AMAZING for your son! I could never do a ToughMudder - so I'm super impressed!

I'll admit - part of the reason I'm doing this is also for my parents. I know from the beginning, they struggled with feeling like it was their fault that I was born this way (it's not!) and that they had to make tough decisions on the right kind of treatment (I was actually featured in two medical journals for experimental surgery - probably why my feet are two drastically different sizes!), so they've always been worried that I wouldn't be able to do "athletic things". They've been incredibly supportive, and I think they're just excited to watch me cross the finish line as I am to actually do it myself!

I broke in my new shoes today!!

OK, I know you're thinking "Girl, so what. New shoes? Boring!".

Well, little back story - I was born with a pretty severe clubfoot. I've had many reconstructive surgeries, a hip adjustment, lengthening of my Achilles tendon and all that, just to be able to walk like a normal person - let alone run. I generally wear flip flops or backless shoes, because it gets cost-prohibitive at times for me to buy multiple pairs of shoes (if I can even find them!). Why? Because my left foot is a size 5 and my right foot is a size 8. :(

I've been training in size 8 Inov-8 shoes (which I LOVE, btw!) ... and lo and behold, about a week ago I found a deal on the exact model of shoes I love that let me buy two pairs (and they had my sizes that I was fit for!) for the price of one pair!

I'm so excited for a run tomorrow, and to see what it feels like to run in a comfy shoe that fits my little foot! Prior to my last 10k, I was really starting to blister on the tips of my middle toes because I could tell my toes were trying to hold the larger shoe in place. I can't wait. Just. Can't. Wait.

Hope everyone's training is going great!

Wow, that's really cool!

Someday an entrepreneur will create a shoe-share website where people can swap the unused shoes from when they have to buy two pairs. Somewhere out there, I wonder if there's a person who is the opposite of your feet size, buying two pairs and not using two shoes from the pairs...

I'll admit - part of the reason I'm doing this is also for my parents. I know from the beginning, they struggled with feeling like it was their fault that I was born this way (it's not!) and that they had to make tough decisions on the right kind of treatment (I was actually featured in two medical journals for experimental surgery - probably why my feet are two drastically different sizes!), so they've always been worried that I wouldn't be able to do "athletic things". They've been incredibly supportive, and I think they're just excited to watch me cross the finish line as I am to actually do it myself!

Aw, that's so sweet!

bumbershoot --

RIGHT?!? If I had the time and patience, I would start that myself ...

I'm a member of another online group with runners in similar situations, but you know the deal with running shoes - finding someone with the right size, width and pronation can be a task!

How AMAZING for your son! I could never do a ToughMudder - so I'm super impressed!

Well, I don't think TWO half marathons in a matter of months is anything to sneeze at!!
That's so awesome about doing this for your parents. We struggled thinking somehow my son's foot was our fault as well. I guess it's human nature, you expect the gerber baby and when something happens...you tend to beat yourself up. Now, I am so proud to be the mom of someone so strong and I'm sure your parents feel the same way!

Well, I don't think TWO half marathons in a matter of months is anything to sneeze at!!
That's so awesome about doing this for your parents. We struggled thinking somehow my son's foot was our fault as well. I guess it's human nature, you expect the gerber baby and when something happens...you tend to beat yourself up. Now, I am so proud to be the mom of someone so strong and I'm sure your parents feel the same way!

See? That's all that matters!

And now I'm planning to do the 2016 WDW Marathon (thanks, Ariel484!) ... my DH is not on board with this, but it's not his bucket list now is it? He can sleep in and cheer for me.

And now I'm planning to do the 2016 WDW Marathon (thanks, Ariel484!) ... my DH is not on board with this, but it's not his bucket list now is it? He can sleep in and cheer for me.
you got it. :teeth:

you got it. :teeth:

I hope so!

I'd originally planned for Disneyland to be my first-ever half marathon, but I feel like I'm progressing at a faster pace than I should be ...
I've got another 10k registered for the end of this month, but with my running plan already having me up to 10 miles for my long run of the week, I went ahead and registered for a little half marathon here in town in March. Eeek!

Too soon? Probably. But I think, mentally, I need to know what it's going to be like out on a course for that long by myself (I do all of my training runs by myself, mostly because my husband works and I don't - so my schedule is more flexible, but also because he's a lot faster than me right now).

I signed up for a pace training group for the weekend, but we don't start meeting until the end of May (it's mostly for people running Nike or NYC), so it will be just me for a while. But, like I said, I'm pretty OK with it so far. I just worry how I'm going to be when I can't keep my mind occupied on things other than running ... :crazy2:

Has anyone booked a room through the number on the rD site? I'm wondering what kind of savings are being offered? I just priced Disneyland hotel and it's about $440 a night regular website. I don't have a clue which hotel to stay at and will be watching this thread to see what others are doing.

Too soon? Probably. But I think, mentally, I need to know what it's going to be like out on a course for that long by myself...

While I can't speak to your upcoming half marathon, I believe you are only really alone on a runDisney run if you choose to be. Between the costumes and the love of Disney that brings people to the runs, you can pretty much count on somebody around you at all times who is plenty social enough to chat up along the way.

This may have been most evident in the runDisney video from the inaugural Avengers Half Marathon Weekend in which a stranger stopped their plan to help another struggling runner complete the course ahead of the sweepers. Not sure where that's at just this moment, but I'm sure you can find it pretty quickly if you're interested.

Speaking personally, I'm most alone on most of my training runs than I am any half or full marathon I run; I'd say I'm least alone when running a runDisney race. ;) :thumbsup2

Has anyone booked a room through the number on the rD site? I'm wondering what kind of savings are being offered? I just priced Disneyland hotel and it's about $440 a night regular website. I don't have a clue which hotel to stay at and will be watching this thread to see what others are doing.
Get Travel (the group that does the DL Races and on the site) usually update for the hotel prices the week of or right after registration opens so you should be able to find their prices soon to compare. I've found that if you have a AAA card, aside from the 3 resort hotels, you can most of the time find the rooms cheaper on your own than through GT. You really can't go wrong w/ any of the hotels around the parks, they're all super easy to get to not only the parks, but the staging/race areas in the mornings. Also, race weekend there is local transportation, ART, from some of the hotels on Katella and ones that are a little further out. They run from about 3 in the morning until after park close and they'll take you to the Esplanade in front of the parks and you just walk down DTD to the staging area. The 1st time you get on the shuttle, just tell them you're running and you'll get a pass for you and your party for through Sunday for free.

I broke in my new shoes today!!

OK, I know you're thinking "Girl, so what. New shoes? Boring!".

Well, little back story - I was born with a pretty severe clubfoot. I've had many reconstructive surgeries, a hip adjustment, lengthening of my Achilles tendon and all that, just to be able to walk like a normal person - let alone run. I generally wear flip flops or backless shoes, because it gets cost-prohibitive at times for me to buy multiple pairs of shoes (if I can even find them!). Why? Because my left foot is a size 5 and my right foot is a size 8. :(

I've been training in size 8 Inov-8 shoes (which I LOVE, btw!) ... and lo and behold, about a week ago I found a deal on the exact model of shoes I love that let me buy two pairs (and they had my sizes that I was fit for!) for the price of one pair!

I'm so excited for a run tomorrow, and to see what it feels like to run in a comfy shoe that fits my little foot! Prior to my last 10k, I was really starting to blister on the tips of my middle toes because I could tell my toes were trying to hold the larger shoe in place. I can't wait. Just. Can't. Wait.

Hope everyone's training is going great!

That's great news Keels! You'll feel like a new woman running in shoes that fit properly :thumbsup2

Wow! That's dedication :thumbsup2

I'm not sure I could ever keep up with the training for a full marathon.

You're doing brilliantly Keels! By the time the Disneyland half comes around, it will just be a walk in the park for you :rotfl:

That's about the going rate for the DLH. While the DLH is the most convenient, and probably the nicest place to stay, there are plenty of options around that are still just a short walk away, and clean and comfortable. We stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites last year, and I was surprised by how modern the rooms were. We had quite a good stay, and just a short walk to everything Disney. I have also stayed at Red Lion and Portofino and enjoyed both for general park time, both would be a decent hike to and from the running related events though.

This year, we're staying at one of the vacation condos off Walnut across from Magic Way. With my parents contributing for 3 nights (they will have their own bedroom and bathroom while they're with us), it worked out cheaper than a week at BW Stovall's!

Just a heads-up, Get Sports Travel added the prices for the Disney owned Hotels yesterday. I had previously reserved rooms through Disney, but we were able to save a bit going through Get Sports. So that was exciting.

Good luck to all those registering on Tuesday. I swear the AP registration was more stressful then the actual race. Ha ha.

A few other notes/thoughts. As mentioned the 60th anniversary will still be going strong during this race and the Avengers race. Should be fun to run through the castle and past the Carthay Circle Theater in DCA with all the Diamond bling everywhere.

My personal hope for the race "theme" is Disneyland itself. Since it will be the 60th anniversary and the 10 anniversary of the race it would be fun to have characters and medals focused on the park. I'm thinking Hitch Hiking Ghosts in front of the Haunted Mansion, some pirates cheering you on as you go past Pirates of the Caribbean, Brer Rabbit in front of Splash Mt. etc. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

My personal hope for the race "theme" is Disneyland itself. Since it will be the 60th anniversary and the 10 anniversary of the race it would be fun to have characters and medals focused on the park. I'm thinking Hitch Hiking Ghosts in front of the Haunted Mansion, some pirates cheering you on as you go past Pirates of the Caribbean, Brer Rabbit in front of Splash Mt. etc. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Oh, that sounds like fun! Although my parents wouldn't 'get' it lol!

And you're right, registration for these things is WAY more stressful than the actual race!

I love this!! Great idea.

I think I had a dream that the half marathon medal was a spinner in the shape of a "10" like this year's Goofy medal, but with the classic script "D" on the spinner (the zero of the "10"). I guess we'll see if I have psychic powers in a few months. :rotfl:

I was looking at Disneyland hotels too. I really want to stay at the Grand Californian but $488 is tough. I stayed offsite last year because of the price but I might have to splurge this year. There are so many Good a Neighbor hotel to choose from though.

A few other notes/thoughts. As mentioned the 60th anniversary will still be going strong during this race and the Avengers race. Should be fun to run through the castle and past the Carthay Circle Theater in DCA with all the Diamond bling everywhere.

I hope that's the theme too, b/c that would be awesome! For the 5th anniversary, the 5k theme was really simple, the Fab 5, and had their pictures on the medal and it was really nice. They always do something special for the anniversary medals, so I'm hoping they kind of go back to the original DL castle medal and add small white "jewels" representing the diamonds on the Castle, kind of like the Princess medal, to tie in both celebrations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter