Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

I think I've reluctantly decided that I need to leave my house, just north of Atlanta GA, at 6am on Friday so that I can make sure I can get down to DW early enough to both check in at the Poly and pick up my race packet at the Expo. Since it's a Friday I will likely hit some traffic and just can't take the chance of getting down with not enough time to get my packet. I think that's my worst nightmare, or at least it's my first nightmare as there may be other things I'm not considering yet.

Does everyone else have their travel plans figured out? Any tips from those that have done this before that the rest of may have overlooked?

Also, the latest forecast I've seen shows a cool down during the week but it looks to warm back up through the weekend. It doesn't look too hot but doesn't look like a very cool start either.

I think I've reluctantly decided that I need to leave my house, just north of Atlanta GA, at 6am on Friday so that I can make sure I can get down to DW early enough to both check in at the Poly and pick up my race packet at the Expo. Since it's a Friday I will likely hit some traffic and just can't take the chance of getting down with not enough time to get my packet. I think that's my worst nightmare, or at least it's my first nightmare as there may be other things I'm not considering yet. Does everyone else have their travel plans figured out? Any tips from those that have done this before that the rest of may have overlooked? Also, the latest forecast I've seen shows a cool down during the week but it looks to warm back up through the weekend. It doesn't look too hot but doesn't look like a very cool start either.

Wishing you a smooth, traffic free trip! I'm flying so I at least don't have traffic to think about, but I did start to mentally plan out all the things I need to get done before heading to the airport. Hopefully my flight is on time so I have enough time to make it to the expo on Wednesday night, but thankfully I can also go thurs/fri if that doesn't work out.

How long of a drive is it for you? If you are worried about cutting it close on the expo, I would imagine you could go straight there and check in after, if that helps with the timing.

I think I've reluctantly decided that I need to leave my house, just north of Atlanta GA, at 6am on Friday so that I can make sure I can get down to DW early enough to both check in at the Poly and pick up my race packet at the Expo. Since it's a Friday I will likely hit some traffic and just can't take the chance of getting down with not enough time to get my packet. I think that's my worst nightmare, or at least it's my first nightmare as there may be other things I'm not considering yet.

Does everyone else have their travel plans figured out? Any tips from those that have done this before that the rest of may have overlooked?

Also, the latest forecast I've seen shows a cool down during the week but it looks to warm back up through the weekend. It doesn't look too hot but doesn't look like a very cool start either.

I might think about leaving a little earlier than that. My daughter lives in Atlanta. She is flying down for the half this time. Over Christmas and Thanksgiving she drove down to South Florida. Near Jonesboro she said traffic back up was nuts for no apparent reason. She also had som issues near Gainesville.

I might think about leaving a little earlier than that. My daughter lives in Atlanta. She is flying down for the half this time. Over Christmas and Thanksgiving she drove down to South Florida. Near Jonesboro she said traffic back up was nuts for no apparent reason. She also had som issues near Gainesville.

Yeah, there are a few places that the traffic can get bad around the south side of Atlanta and there always seems to be construction in south Georgia. I'm hoping since the holidays are over I'll just have to deal with "normal" traffic. I figure it would take me 9 hours or less including stops if I don't run into any traffic issues so hopefully I'm giving enough time. I won't go past Jonesboro (where I grew up actually) as I'll be going 285->675->75 but could run into issues around Stockbridge/Hudson Bridge but usually that would be heading into town and not away. I will definitely keep the traffic in mind though as I think some of the worst in the country is around Atlanta. ;)

Wishing you a smooth, traffic free trip! I'm flying so I at least don't have traffic to think about, but I did start to mentally plan out all the things I need to get done before heading to the airport. Hopefully my flight is on time so I have enough time to make it to the expo on Wednesday night, but thankfully I can also go thurs/fri if that doesn't work out.

How long of a drive is it for you? If you are worried about cutting it close on the expo, I would imagine you could go straight there and check in after, if that helps with the timing.

If all goes well then I should be at the Poly by 3pm which sounds like plenty of time but the drive is long enough for numerous unexpected delays due to traffic, kids needing to stop, etc. If we manage to get there between 3-4pm then I think I'll check in and take the Disney transport to the Expo. If we arrive later then I think I'll just drive straight to the Expo and check in later. I guess I'll be getting up early three days in a row instead of just two for the half and full.

Having an extra day to hit the Expo is a good idea and something I wish I could squeeze in. However, we are making this a family trip and going to the parks the next week so I just couldn't do another day with everyone off work and everything.

This time next week my DD, her BF and i will be celebrating completing the half. Wish they were doing the full too. I will be driving up Thursday morning.

So, when we did our first half last year at Disney we signed up for family and friends to get text updates on our split times. Is that being offered this year? if so, how and where do you sign up? I tried looking on RunDisney but can't find it if it's there.
Thanks for any help!

My DH and I arrived this morning in Orlando. Checked into AKL. Weather is fantastic. Enjoying pool time. I will be running all the runs except the full. Very excited. Hope my body holds out as my training was not fantastic due to a IT band issue.

I'm staying at the Poly as well. Flying down Saturday AM from Boston for the marathon. Our flight got pushed back an hour so I won't land in Orlando until noon. We are taking Magical Express to the Poly and then I've got to get to the Expo by 4. The timeline makes me a little nervous, but there it is. Do they have buses running from the Poly to the Expo? I've heard conflicting info about this.

thill, we'll be headed down from the same direction. We leave Thursday evening and spend the night in Cordele. It gets the Atlanta traffic behind you, and makes the Friday drive much more enjoyable. The Publix in Gainesville, FL is the perfect place to stock up on water, high-carb beverages, Gatorade (hmmm, 2 kinds of high-carb beverages?), and whatever else you need.

We discovered Cordele when we got snowed in there after the 2011 Goofy. Perfect running weather in Orlando, but Atlanta was shut down.

We're staying at POFQ. I'll probably have Mrs. YoungBeautifulLittleMermaid (she kept her maiden name) drop me off at the expo, and then get us checked in. I'll take the bus back to POFQ and carb-load by the pool.

I'm staying at the Poly as well. Flying down Saturday AM from Boston for the marathon. Our flight got pushed back an hour so I won't land in Orlando until noon. We are taking Magical Express to the Poly and then I've got to get to the Expo by 4. The timeline makes me a little nervous, but there it is. Do they have buses running from the Poly to the Expo? I've heard conflicting info about this.

According to the runDisney site there will be transportation from Poly to the Expo each day that it's open so I think you should be fine with that plan.

thill, we'll be headed down from the same direction. We leave Thursday evening and spend the night in Cordele. It gets the Atlanta traffic behind you, and makes the Friday drive much more enjoyable. The Publix in Gainesville, FL is the perfect place to stock up on water, high-carb beverages, Gatorade (hmmm, 2 kinds of high-carb beverages?), and whatever else you need.

We discovered Cordele when we got snowed in there after the 2011 Goofy. Perfect running weather in Orlando, but Atlanta was shut down.

We're staying at POFQ. I'll probably have Mrs. YoungBeautifulLittleMermaid (she kept her maiden name) drop me off at the expo, and then get us checked in. I'll take the bus back to POFQ and carb-load by the pool.

I thought about spending the night somewhere Thursday for just the reasons that you mention (avoid traffic and make final drive easy) but it's just too tough for us to do with getting off work and getting DS (1.5) and DD (5) in time to head out. We'll pack Thursday evening so hopefully can get everyone up and out early Friday and not get breakfast until the south side of Atlanta. If we are making good time I may stop at that Publix as that's much better than trying to bring stuff down with me. If we are running late I may have my wife drop me at the Expo and go check in as well but hopefully I'll be there early enough to not worry about that.

We're pulling the kids out of school early on Thursday to drive down. Plan on leaving about 11am or so, staying with a relative in Orlando overnight and hitting the Expo first thing Friday morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter