OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

I am registered for Dopey and I've never done a runDisney event or been to Disney. I know all hotels are host hotels, but are there some that are walking distance to the start and finish? Or are shuttles a must? Thanks for your help!

:welcome: to the DIS!!! :)

Can anyone tell me about waking over from Port Orleans riverside to the start. Is it doable and if so how far is it from the start.

im doing the wine and dine and tot runs already i was thinking about the full marathon being my goal, but im not sure if i should wait another year and just do the half. when do the full/half marathons usually sell out??

I think I remember reading that the Goofy challenge sold out in June of last year, so I think you'll have a couple months to decide. Personally I think the full marathon sounds like an awesome goal.

Can anyone tell me about waking over from Port Orleans riverside to the start. Is it doable and if so how far is it from the start.

You can walk to the start from Port Orleans Riverside. I did it for the Goofy last year and it was Awesome, extra hour sleep, same distance walk as from the area finish area. I highly recommend.

You can walk to the start from Port Orleans Riverside. I did it for the Goofy last year and it was Awesome, extra hour sleep, same distance walk as from the area finish area. I highly recommend.

That's awesome! My husband said he figured you could walk because we are so close.we usually stay in building 16 on the alligator bayou side. We were looking into contemporary for the easy access but if we can walk from our favorite resort port Orleans we might just stay there!!

All signed up for the 1/2 marathon!! Woohooo....cant wait. This is my first run at Disney and first trip to Disney with just my hubby. Should be a great weekend!

Technically, you can walk from Port Orleans - Riverside and Port Orleans - French Quarter. I wouldn't advise it especially if you aren't familiar with the area. It's super dark on race morning and there is heavy traffic.

Anyone wanting to walk from one of the nearby resorts a super easy safety solution is to go to any dollar store before you leave and buy a few glowsticks, glow necklaces, bracelets, etc. and wear them for the walk over so cars can see you.

If it has recently rained, walking in the grass can get your shoes/socks wet, so be prepared. Bring an extra pair of socks to put on at the start.

Anyone driving on the roads that time of morning on race day in that area knows there is a race going on a almost 100% proceed with caution, but a few simple steps can help ease your worries.

im doing the wine and dine and tot runs already i was thinking about the full marathon being my goal, but im not sure if i should wait another year and just do the half. when do the full/half marathons usually sell out??

The full and halfs don't sell out for quite a few months so you have plenty of time to consider your options.

My personal belief is that if you can run 13.1 miles in November, you can run 26.2 by January. Use the ToT and Wine and Dine as "training" races for the full. Use both of those races as your long run for that week leading up to your full marathon.

Take a look at runnersworld.com smart coach. A WONDERFUL free training plan that is customizable to your ability and preferences. All you have to do is register on their website.

http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach

You can create training plans up to 24 weeks long. Anyway, following a plan for the full marathon from there, the weekend of the ToT the long run is 9 miles (which can easily be adjusted to 10 for the race). The weekend of the Wine & Dine, the long training run for the full is 16 miles, which can easily be dropped to 13.

The way you have to approach is that the full is the goal and the training plan you follow. Don't think of it as training for the ToT, then train for the Half, then train for the full. You train for the full the whole time and use the other two races as training days (physically, emotionally, mentally, nutrition wise, etc.) and landmarks along the way.

My DH and I didn't decide to do the Full (for him) and Half (for me) until July of last year, and had no problem registering. I'd just keep checking the runDisney site periodically to see where the percentages are! Especially right before the dates of the price increases.

Good luck!

I am in for the half. It is my first half. Super excited. I am also doing the Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k this November. We were able to get awesome park tickets with that. Do they do discounted park tickets for WDW Marathon weekend as well?

I made a deal with myself last night: if registration was still open for the 10K when I finished my run and post-run shower, I'd add it to the half... it sold out moments before I finished. My wallet is thankful... but I'm a little bummed today. :( Oh well, that's money to register for a local half in March, right?! :thumbsup2

Take me off yhe list. I'm not gonna be able to be ready for the half marathon and didnt get to register for the 10k before it sold out

I'm...very sure I'm in. Registration hasn't opened yet. :P

The full was always my original goal. Always. The dream of going all over the World on foot is what made me pick up running shoes in the first place. I was scared of the pace requirement. I was never scared of the distance or the time I'd be out on the course.

After finishing the half this year, for the first time in my life I understood how VERY unprepared I am for this endeavor. If it were not for the better corral placement I would have been swept for sure. I've never felt that fear before. I really have to make every single day this year count as if my racing success depends on it. I need to be lighter. I need to get faster.

Two bits of good news since writing this...

1.) I would not "have been swept for sure" even if I were in the last corral.

Turns out the starting line didn't pick up my chip, adding almost an extra 30 minutes to my time. It has since been fixed and I finished the race at the required pace.

But no faster...

2.) I know where I went wrong in my training. I have a chance to fix them with the Coast To Coast and get a better time. And am definitely IN for this full. That Mickey medal will be MINE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter