Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, on both counts. :hug: Will Princess be your first half marathon?

I'm calling it my first official half since I am doing a "practice half" on 27 Jan here in San Antonio....really nervous about both ! :confused:

I just look at my watch for my timing, but as I'm sure you are getting from a lot of others, there are tons of apps that you can set. However, that would require you to keep the phone out of the spibelt, b/c there is a whole lot of beeping going on at this race!

Yeah, I have apps but I was hoping to not have to keep my phone out. Hmmm, may need to use the mile markers or something else.

Sorry to invade your thread (not running PHM this year due to living on the "wrong" coast). I was just wondering what apps you are using that require you to have your phone out of the belt. :confused3 RunDouble and the pro versions of both Endomondo and Runtastic all have fully customizable voice coaches. I do 4:1 run/walk by setting the app to give me a verbal notification of overall distance and interval pace every 5 minutes. When I get the notification, I glance at the chronometer on my watch and walk for 1 minute, then pick up and run the remaining 4 minutes until I get the next notification from my phone. I wear one ear bud so that only I can hear it, and never have to touch my phone. I know runDisney discourages the use of music players, but if one isn't actually listening to music, is the use of ear buds still frowned upon? I'm just trying to understand what is and isn't acceptable (and adjust accordingly) before I run the Disneyland Half later this year.

Ariel224 said:
Sorry to invade your thread (not running PHM this year due to living on the "wrong" coast). I was just wondering what apps you are using that require you to have your phone out of the belt. :confused3 RunDouble and the pro versions of both Endomondo and Runtastic all have fully customizable voice coaches. I do 4:1 run/walk by setting the app to give me a verbal notification of overall distance and interval pace every 5 minutes. When I get the notification, I glance at the chronometer on my watch and walk for 1 minute, then pick up and run the remaining 4 minutes until I get the next notification from my phone. I wear one ear bud so that only I can hear it, and never have to touch my phone. I know runDisney discourages the use of music players, but if one isn't actually listening to music, is the use of ear buds still frowned upon? I'm just trying to understand what is and isn't acceptable (and adjust accordingly) before I run the Disneyland Half later this year.

I don't use the voice on any app and do listen to music. So, silly as it sounds, I run with my ear buds plugged into my iPod Shuffle (music only tiny thing that clips on your shirt or belt or whatever) and my phone out using RunKeeper for outside or stopwatch for inside. I don't wear a watch. I don't have any problems running with my phone in my hand and glancing at it occasionally. But I won't be able to do that and carry a camera.

YOu can certainly use ear buds or a bluetooth device to hear the beep on your phone if it is in your spibelt or whatever. I just meant that race day will be crowded, noisy, and filled with thousands of other people, all trying to hear their interval timers going off and intervals set at all different times. So, yes, if you are plugged into your device somehow to hear it beep then you are fine.

I use the coaching, allows for intervals or target pace, on runkeeper, but when she started to annoy me I turn her off.

pjpoohbear said:
I use the coaching, allows for intervals or target pace, on runkeeper, but when she started to annoy me I turn her off.

Dh loves runkeepeer! I do not. She annoys the crap out of me hahahaha!

Dh loves runkeepeer! I do not. She annoys the crap out of me hahahaha!

I love the app, hate the voice. I leave her on silent. Not only do I not ewant to hear it, I don't need everyone else hearing her too. :lmao: Especially in the hamster wheel!!!

I welcome the voice! That means I can walk! :rotfl:

It doesn't bother me either...I did the Tower of Terror 10 miler using Runkeeper and left one earbud out, so I could still hear the coaching and the people around me.
I have a question for princesses that have done the race before:
Like I mentioned I'm about a 14:30-15mm pace right now but I REALLY want to stop for the photo op with the Princes (Eric, Flynn, Charming, Tarzan,etc) I know this photo op is the first one on the course (if they haven't changed it from past years). My question: If I'm in the last corral how long is the line for this particular photo op? 2 minutes? 3 minutes? I want to stop because you don't get them all together in the parks but I don't want to jeopardize being picked up...ideas? comments?
Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone on this thread

Is anyone else getting super nervous about the upcoming race?

I've been training, have a coach and am still worried about my pace. I guess training in the frozen north has it's disadvantages.

I've been training, have a coach and am still worried about my pace. I guess training in the frozen north has it's disadvantages.

I was super super nervous my first princess. Its all worth it once you see that castle.

This will be my 3rd Princess, 4th half and I still get super nervous at the start of every one. Then I thank God that I am able to do it.

reagansmom said:

Not alone. My poor friend who is doing it with me almost had a panic attack thinking we haven't trained enough. She's freaking out and now I'm freaking out haha so don't worry!

I was super super nervous my first princess. Its all worth it once you see that castle.

This will be my 3rd Princess, 4th half and I still get super nervous at the start of every one. Then I thank God that I am able to do it.

Thanks. Hope bad is the stretch from miles 8-11? Looks like highway, etc.

7-9 is boring, except for the ladies who want to buy beer at the gas station and come out with popcorn instead since the coolers are locked, 9-11 has an off ramp (upward) and a double dip into the Epcot parking lot. I didn't mind the on ramp, but no one said a word about the double dip that caught me by surprise.

7-9 is boring, except for the ladies who want to buy beer at the gas station and come out with popcorn instead since the coolers are locked, 9-11 has an off ramp (upward) and a double dip into the Epcot parking lot. I didn't mind the on ramp, but no one said a word about the double dip that caught me by surprise.

OK. So what is this "double dip" that you speak of? Please tell me it is downhill. I'd really like that!

I am COMPLETELY freaked out!!!

My 10.5 mile "wog" on Saturday was disasterous. I ended up calling the DH to come pick me up at 10 miles. :sad:

70* with 100% humidity. I finally had gotten used to the cold, but this heat and humidity was horrible! Then it started to pour down rain. I had a great attitude about it, thinking I would be prepared if this happened at the PHM. ;)

Then came the blisters at mile 6. They encompass the ENTIRE balls of BOTH feet. :eek: I was just going to power through it. But at mile 9.5, I had enough. I called DH at mile 10 for a "Search and Rescue." I felt so incredibly stupid to have to call and get picked up. :(

If my feet can hold up, I'll be good to go. I just don't know if they will -- which FREAKS ME OUT!!! Any suggestions for the blisters? I've tried BodyGlide, switching socks -- these haven't worked. HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter