Not getting any e-mail notifications...

Aeryn just replied to me. She will look into the problem.

She said to give her a week. She is making a trip to WDW, but will check things out when she gets back.

Feralpeg said:
Aeryn just replied to me. She will look into the problem.

She said to give her a week. She is making a trip to WDW, but will check things out when she gets back.
Looks like progress!!!! :cool1: :banana:

The key to all of the email problems reported here is with the individual email providers. Because of the horrible proliferation of spam emails, email providers are trying all sorts of new methods to block spam. As a result, they are constantly trying to redefine how to identify spam, and many legitimate email sources that use automated methods or send many messages (such as the DISboards) get caught in the traps.

Many Verizon users (such as Donna and cristbaby) and RR users (like Feralpeg and cocowum and 4DisneyfansinNC) have had trouble with this over the past month or so. AOL users have had trouble with this for ages.

Nothing's changed in the way the DISboards is sending mail; the issue is at the receiving end.

Phamton's explanation of her workaround supports this: When she routed her DIS mail to her gmail account, she started receiving the emails. When she routes it to RR, she does not. Logic here would indicate that the problem is not with the email being sent from the DISboards (since it is received correctly in the gmail account), but rather with RR not being configured correctly to receive it.

Email providers are continuously tweaking their spam filter rules; what works one day may change the next.

Thanks, Kathy. That makes sense. I think they are over protecting us!

WebmasterKathy said:
Phamton's explanation of her workaround supports this: When she routed her DIS mail to her gmail account, she started receiving the emails. When she routes it to RR, she does not. Logic here would indicate that the problem is not with the email being sent from the DISboards (since it is received correctly in the gmail account), but rather with RR not being configured correctly to receive it.

What is strange about this is all my gmail goes straight to my rr account. The headers even say from the DisBoard.

This is what I get sent to my roadrunner account after it is sent via my gmail account:
Subject:
Reply to post 'Not getting any e-mail notifications...'
The DIS Discussion Forums Forums <webmaster@disboards.com>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 04:04:57 +0000
To:
xxxxx@gmail.com

The headers still show that it is coming from the DisBoards so why isn't it blocked from roadrunner? All I can tell is that roadrunner is only seeing that it is diverted through gmail and thus the DisBoard dns is not in the tracking and isn't blocked.

Bev, I think we're getting at the same point... there's nothing wrong with the email itself or the content of it. The header information and the message content are okay. But RoadRunner has set its rules to reject traffic coming directly from the DISboards mail server. The problem is probably entirely related to the traffic origination address.

RoadRunner is accepting gmail traffic. And gmail accepts DISboards traffic. So routing your mail this way works.

I'll see if Alex can look to see if there's anything he can do. But making any kind of universal change to the configuration of the DISboards or our DNS registration because an email provider arbitrarily changed their blocking rules is pretty backwards... :)

Maybe you could ask your email provider if they could back out the change that broke this in the first place, if they did indeed institute a new blocking rule that doesn't like our reverse DNS settings.

Well after being on hold for 30 mins, I finally talked to someone at RR. They told me to send an email to spamblock@security.rr.com explaining the situation and they would be able to fix the problem. So hopefully it works. :goodvibes

cocowum said:
Well after being on hold for 30 mins, I finally talked to someone at RR. They told me to send an email to spamblock@security.rr.com explaining the situation and they would be able to fix the problem. So hopefully it works. :goodvibes

Thanks, I'll do the same. Hopefully if they see others are complaining, they may take it more seriously.

Here is a copy of the email I sent with personal info deleted:

Several 100 of us who post on the largest Disney internet discussion board ( http://www.disboards.com ) have stopped receiving email notifications to "subscribed" threads on the board. When you post on a thread, you have the option to receive email notifications whenever anyone replies to your post. This worked fine until about 2 weeks ago and suddenly, those of us who use roadrunner, have not been able to receive these notices in our email.

I had to do a work around by having my notices sent to a gmail account and then forwarded to roadrunner, which worked fine. Others don't have that options since they only have roadrunner for email. The fact that the messages worked fine when they are sent via my gmail account makes it appear that there is a spam filter on roadrunner that is stopping the emails from getting through.

My internet provider is XXXXX in Orlando, FL (cfl.rr.com) I did not contact XXXX as it seems that everyone from all over the country who use roadrunner are having this problem so it must be a spamblock for all of roadrunner.

I am sending you an attachment with headers from email I received from DisBoards. It only has my gmail account in the "to" box as I have not been able to receive any from the DisBoard directly to my roadrunner account. Hopefully, it will have enough information in the headers to find the problem. I would appreciate it if you would take care of this and unblock the Disboard emails.

Sincerely,
Bev XXXXX

All of a sudden, I got two email notifications! Yeah! Maybe this is a sign of good things to come!

I just got email notification for THIS thread! I had trouble with RR this morning....getting online...maybe they were doing something to the system! It's so nice to see it back today!

pinnie

:cool1:
cocowum said:
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
THANK YOU!!!! I've got a whole mailbox of DIS emails now!!!! :cool1: :cool1: RR must have fixed the problem!

Now the problem is with some of us who didn't sign up for notifications, all of a sudden I'm getting hundreds (as of yesterday!)

Denise

I've been off the computer for 2 days and When I logged in today I had 101 email notifications. :rotfl: ( all those chatty DDA's :teeth: ) I'm glad RR fixed the problem. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter