Not A Test!! A Reminder About The Disboards Messing Up My Computer

We have once again made a number of changes, let me know if it helps!

It seemed better when I went to different threads directly from my email that someone had responded to my thread.
When I went to the main page, it happened again.

Still not working!! Cable access/7.0. If I don't try to access DIS my computer works fine. Once I try to access the DIS my computer slows to a crawl! Access from IE is still fine.

I still have to go through IE, I just tried going through AOL and my computer froze up again. I don't seem to have any problems going through IE.

Even worse today.
It took a total of 7 min to pull up this forum, log in, pull up this thread, and get to the reply page.

Bingo!! Someone said something about the new front page, and that triggered something in my mind. So, I just now did a little experiment.

I've always had the initial forum index bookmarked. That how I normally got here. Well -- what? two weeks ago? -- is when I started having trouble. I would come in through my normal bookmark, but all I could get -- all weekend -- was a light colored page with teeny tiny blue pin stripes. I'd wait and I'd wait, and that's all I'd get. So, I thought the DIS boards were down. Imagine my surprise when I went to work the following Monday, followed that same bookmark (on a PC, IE, Windows 2000) and saw the brand spanking new "front page." I was thrilled! I thought the DIS boards were back up, and I fully expected to go home that night and log on with no problem. Not! It didn't happen. But, it did lead to the discovery that the pages just load incredibly slow now from home (Mac G4, OSX, IE) . . . and, unfortunately, that's where I have more time to DIS.

Anyway, tonight, I thought I'd try a little experiment, that might or might not help Alex's efforts. I came here by way of that same initial bookmark (www.disboards.com), and I timed each stop along the way.

It took 4 1/2 minutes to load that main page.

It took 1 1/2 minutes to load the Tech Support Board.

It took 1 1/2 minutes to load page 1 of this thread.

It took 2 minutes to load page 2 of this thread.

It took 1 3/4 minutes to load this reply page.

So, all in all, it took me 11 1/4 minutes to reach this point. (By comparison, it took 15 seconds to load the DVC Discussion board; 28 seconds to load the Theme Parks board.)

What does all of this mean? I don't have a clue. But Alex is working so hard to figure this out, I felt like I had to do something to try to help. Or would you rather just have brownies, Alex? Or maybe a juicy steak -- you're W.I.S.H.ing, too, aren't you?

Just please, please, please don't give up on us. We really do appreciate your efforts.

Disneymad, :wave: thanks for the Netscape suggestion. I don't have it on this computer right now, but I'll have to check out a download. It would be interesting to see if that helps. By the way, it's nice to meet another Mac person!!

Pat

288 days and counting . . . again!

Whew! It's taken me awhile, but I'm back . . . and with a new wrinkle.

I just went to the Theme Parks board, a board I hadn't been having trouble with, and clicked on a thread titled "Great 10 Day Ticket Discount." I waited and waited, but instead of getting to finally read the thread, I got a message that said:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

It then said I was logged in as inky dinky doo, so it knew who I was. I thought I had inadvertantly clicked on the wrong thing, so I went back and tried again. But, no. Every time I clicked on the thread title, it took awhile, but I always got that message. Darn it! I wanted to find out more about this good deal. ;)

Yikes!! :confused: Has my license to read been revoked??? :D

Pat

288 days and counting . . . again

The great 10 day ticket discount thread was deleted. That's why you can't see it.

First of all...NO AOL here...at work or at home. At home on the MAC, everything seems to be back to normal (keeping my fingers crossed on that one), but at work, using IE 6.0.2, T-1, NT, my times pretty much match those of Inky....4-1/2 minutes here, 2 minutes there, etc. I tried to post this from work yesterday, but only got booted out.

Alex, your work is truly appreciated. Hope this information helps you find a solution.

Still no change here for me. Have to go through IE to still get in. I just tried to get in through AOL and everythng is locked up tight there. Now I have to check disboards last instead of first because I have to power down to get my PC running again. Once I try to get into the disboards and hit stop or escape it still doesnt' do any good. I can get into anything aferwards. At least I can get into it through my IE.

Just another thank you for continuing to work on the problem! This has got to be frustrating for you techy guys:D For the time being I will continue to access through IE.

Not wanting to be a complainer... but, I use AOL 8 and sometime last week started difficulty accessing the DIS boards. It would be almost completely loaded and just lock up AOL. I'm now using IE at my sister's suggestion (yeah, I have that icon on my desktop but don't know what all of them are for...;) ).

So, thanks for all of the time you're spending trying to rectify this problem. I'm sure it must be frustrating.

Lois:D

Hi folks...... I appreciate everyone working together to try and fix this problem. Here is my symptoms..... On my laptop, I use Windowns ME and utilize AOL 8.0. Since the SNOW STORM last week, I have been trying to get disboards, but it loads to about 50-90% and the just freezes. Then, the rest of my computer goes into slow motion. I mean everything.....typing, changes in screens, etc., goes to a crawl. I also use Powerlink.

I worked and worked with AOL and tried many different options, but they were at a loss and finally suggested it was a cable problem.

We have another computer on the same cable router and we have no problem getting disboards thru that computer which uses Windows XP and AOL 8.0.

IBM says there is no problem with my computer, so I don't know where else to go. I am now certain that the problem lies within this group.

I have minimal computer skills so I hope my symptoms might help isolate a problem. Perhaps the webmaster might consider some type of poll to gather data.

Oh yea, I use my laptop and have no problem getting disboards at a good speed via IE. I hope this helps and thanks to all of you who saved me money by not pay for support for my computer I did not need.:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Hi guys, thank goodness I found this thread, as I too have been experiencing major problems at work. There, I am on a LAN, windows 2000(service pack 2) and using I.E. I can never get to the disboards, it will hang my computer totally. However, at home, (windows xp, DSL connection, I.E.) I have no problems whatsoever.

Thanks to everyone who is working on this problem.

--Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter