• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nose in or nose out?

Nose in almost everywhere except home, then it's nose out. It's just easier to get out that way. I love the backup camera in my 5 yo car, and I find it really useful in all Reverse situations. IMO, how I park is no longer a safety concern because I can see what's going on back there regardless of what I'm doing. I also really like how my mirrors can tilt towards the ground as well. That has really saved my rims. While I'm pretty good at parallel parking into tight spots, I have crunched the rims on my almost 15 yo car more than once.

I hate backing up, although it does get a little bit easier with a newer car with a backup camera.

However, there are a few places around here where backing up to park is now required.

In Berkeley, California, there's this two block strip that's a one-way street going north, but the parking is a required southwest backup.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8708131,-122.2677556,3a,15y,327.6h,89.7t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgl0sqIUfWF3hH5O99fPcRQ!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=gl0sqIUfWF3hH5O99fPcRQ&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&w=203&h=100&yaw=285.3176&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-in_angle_parking

There's also this fairly popular recycling center where it's in a circle with a required backup to park. The spaces are oddly shaped. The entry is fairly narrow and many misjudge the distance to the barrier poles. In this aerial shote it's clear that one driver misjudged the line.

elcerritorecyclingcenter_0.jpg

I definitely prefer to be nose out. But that only happens if I can pull through, because wow, my back-in parking skills are seriously lacking! LOL.
We're working on getting our youngest his drivers license. I always say that I don't think I would pass the parking test they have to take. I have driven mini-vans for 17 years, yet somehow I still don't know how long they are. I'll think I'm really close to the pole/wall/line/whatever is at the front of my parking spot, get out, and oh cool I'm 4 feet away. Argh!!

In Berkeley, California, there's this two block strip that's a one-way street going north, but the parking is a required southwest backup.
That one looks like it works ok. The parking spots are angled in the direction of the street, so an easy back in.

Depends on where I am. If I'm at work, I pull in as there is no pull thru and I hate backing into spaces. It is required when I drive the state vehicles for work and I absolutely SUCK at backing in between parked cars. It really freaks me out and all the state vehicles have rear cameras.
That is so weird. No employer's opinion should trump the opinion of the person doing the activity. I would not back into spaces, I've said my piece in why it's better to pull in and back out already.

I have to tell the safety guy at work all the time that he can disallow me to do something because of his opinion on safety, but he can't force me to do something that my opinion states it is not safe.

I never back in to a spot. I have a review camera so backing out is not a big deal to me. I think that every car should come with one. But even before that, I had no problem backing out. I find that much easier then backing into a spot. Not to mention that people don't realize you are trying to back in and get too close.
I got into a fender bender once because of this. The car ahead of me pulled into a parking space nose first so I continued moving forward to find a space farther down the lot. As soon as the driver got the car in the space, he began backing out in order to back into the space opposite it and collided with me. I wish there was a signal or something people could do to let you know they intend to back into a space.

I got into a fender bender once because of this. The car ahead of me pulled into a parking space nose first so I continued moving forward to find a space farther down the lot. As soon as the driver got the car in the space, he began backing out in order to back into the space opposite it and collided with me. I wish there was a signal or something people could do to let you know they intend to back into a space.
Just curious, who was found to be at fault in that accident?

I also don't like how the nose out cars can just pull out without any warning. At least with a car that is nose in, I can see the brake/reverse lights of other cars so I know that they want to leave the spot also. You don't get that when the car is facing out. And we have all seen how people don't care anymore and feel like the world will revolve around them.

Last edited:
I figure there's already enough inane threads going, what's one more?

For those of you who drive... what's your preferred parking style (in lots)? Nose in? Nose out? Nose out only if you can pull through? I'd say 95% of the time, I'm nose out. Backing in doesn't bother me. And I feel it's SO much safer when leaving the spot.

And you thought this was an inane or fluff post, lol. People have very strong opinions about this topic. 😂🤣:laughing:

It’s that time of the year where a lot of angry parents will vent about their college kids getting parking tickets because they parked nose out and their plate couldn’t be scanned by parking officials. They want to know why that person didn’t get out of their vehicle to walk behind the car and scan it that way.

It’s that time of the year where a lot of angry parents will vent about their college kids getting parking tickets because they parked nose out and their plate couldn’t be scanned by parking officials. They want to know why that person didn’t get out of their vehicle to walk behind the car and scan it that way.
Unless there's some rule on the campus that you must park nose in, I agree with the parents.

I still say it's safer/easier to pull forward OUT of a parking space than it is to back out of a parking space. Now, people not looking before they pull out I don't think matters whether they're backing or going forward. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter